Autopsy Negatives and Positive v Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

I think we as supporters sometimes forget how hard it actually is compete at the highest level, week in, week out for 6 months. There's always going to dips in form and pressure. The fact we've been pretty flat for most of the year, and are still 11-5 is a good thing.

Last week was the first time we looked like the team of last year. We saw it with the Hawks the last few years, they started slowly, and gradually got better. We've taken longer than we all would've wanted to get back to a good level of pressure and intent, but I reckon it was there the last few weeks.

I reckon the real test of how hungry this team is, will be the pies in a few weeks. If we stink it up and look lazy and uninterested, than I reckon we're shot, but it seems like we're trying to hit form at the right time of the year. It could be wishful thinking though, and we are just a mid range side that won't achieve anything.
You just look back to our premiership year. Its not like we belted everyone. We almost lost to Carlton at home that year. These sort of ganes happen. Hopefully we can get our s**t together going into finals

This last few weeks could be blessing in disguise. Our midfield has performed well in the last 3 games without NN. Yea some of these teams aren't condenders but a few have chucked a lot of players around the ball and made it tough for our mids. Im impressed with shuey. Without NN putting it down his throat, i thought shueys form would dip but he has actually risen to the occassion and his clearances from stoppages have improved. Usually his clearances are from the centre due to NN but now hopefully he gets more from stoppages as well. Hopefully this works when a side like hawks nullifies NN's dominance and our mids have to grind it out.

You just look back to our premiership year. Its not like we belted everyone. We almost lost to Carlton at home that year. These sort of ganes happen. Hopefully we can get our s**t together going into finals
And drew with gold coast after they'd only won 2 games all season

Spot on. Even in the 90's we did the same. In 94 we lost to Essendon at the G who went on to not even play finals. We golt absolutely belted by the Blues at Princes park, and had some superstar called Andrew Tranquilly:drunk: kick 6 against us when we got belted by the Pies at the G (I'll never forget that game, I remember him wearing a long sleeved guernsey, and thinking, who the f** k is this guy. Went on to start a common trend of absolute one game wonders having massive games against us for the rest of eternity)

Remember in 06 when we lost to the Dogs at home, and then the next week were belted by Port at AAMI? I wasn't on BF back then but I can imagine the "Seaon over" comments were coming thick and fast. I would've been one of them had I been here:D

We've never really had a really dominant year when we won the flag, you just need a few things to go your way, and play well at the right time of year. We absolutely need a home final or 2 though, to even close to the GF.

Remember in 06 when we lost to the Dogs at home, and then the next week were belted by Port at AAMI? I wasn't on BF back then but I can imagine the "Seaon over" comments were coming thick and fast. I would've been one of them had I been here:D
Port actually beat us the week before
July 2 2006
https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/an-absolute-joke.252376/
I was leniant on the Eagles players for playing bad but still getting a win prior to the mid season break but the performance today was just an embarrasement. The midfield is an absolute joke. Apart from 1 or 2 players the rest try for 10 minutes of the game but the rest of the game they just stroll around. Bulldogs winning a 1 on 4 situation just ****es me off so much when watching I just do not accept this crap and I hope Worsfold really lays into them and if there is not a better all round performance next week I think some big names need the ax ie Kerr.
Lol its almost a carbon copy of now

And look at this campaigner
Lets hope we can stay there however on current form I just dont see us there come September!

Honestly we have been awful lately with lady luck smiling on us until now.
Who honestly thinks we will beat Hawthorn this week?
:D
For those playing at home, we beat em

Tbh we look lost for a chunk of 2006 but the handball happy gameplan got us out of it

Last edited:
Mancey

MeatySorrowfulGermanshorthairedpointer.gif

Well played sir :D

Thank god for Barass and Gov, so solid and good at reading the play. Who would have thought a 19yr old would keep Emac out of the team.
Marking and goal kicking was terrible but wow the wind was annoying. Up high in particular it would hold up on occasions then other times bend at he end.
I think the unpredictable wind caused guys to try keep the ball low resulting in some ugly shots at goal.
Redden, OMG what is going on there. A golden ticket to go from a wooden spoon team to a potential premier and he just looks uninterested for some reason.

Thank god for Barass and Gov, so solid and good at reading the play. Who would have thought a 19yr old would keep Emac out of the team.
Lamb is playing well in the 2s but not sure he is affecting EMac that much

Marking and goal kicking was terrible but wow the wind was annoying. Up high in particular it would hold up on occasions then other times bend at he end.
I think the unpredictable wind caused guys to try keep the ball low resulting in some ugly shots at goal.
Redden, OMG what is going on there. A golden ticket to go from a wooden spoon team to a potential premier and he just looks uninterested for some reason.
Emacs exceptional at reading off the play as well. He was top 5 in the comp for intercept marks in 2014. In the wafl tv cast they mentioned he was dropped because tbey wanted him to get used to winning more of the footy and providing rebound out of defence. I woulf rather emac to schoey tbh.

Reddens just having a terrible year. No preseason and has had like 2 surgeries since joined us. So his fitness and overall strength is well below par. Thats probably two of his strengths as well. Also he is being played on a flanl.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Me. I am the man, called it.

Probably should of double checked my stat's.
Ok a 21 yr old.

Yes my bad, still hungover from big weekend in Melb.
I hope you didn't go to the game mate. i was at the G, pathetic 26,000 crowd at the game and it was a poor game, poor representation of the true MCG experience. Carlton fans wouldnt even sell out subi

Last edited:
I hope you didn't go to the game mate. i was the G, pathetic 26,000 crowd at the game and it was a poor game, poor representation of the true MCG experience. Carlton fans wouldnt even sell out subi
I was there. It was lame af

Positive: playing average but are 5th on the ladder set up for a serious tilt without any external expectations. Pretty good spot to be in tbh

I have only watched three quarters so far..Lecras very good and away from home at that.The govenator great as usual; Lycett working hard and showing a bit of class;darling presenting well and running hard;Barass quite cool;..downside? Maston couldnt break the skin on custard;Hutching and Mcginnity need to play at 100% to deserve a game;anything less and they are liabilities;Gaff gets so much pill and wastes so much with those lollipop kicks;Priddis? first touch was a clanger.Stop handballing at peoples feet!! Reddan not showing much,this is a guy who loves kicking goals,why not play him in a FP and get some confidence by kicking a few.The biggest disappointment for me and it includes last week; is Kennedy!!His pressure is off.Hes not chasing with his usual venom.He looks half hearted at times.His runup is off skew; he isnt straightening up on his last three or four steps.Lastly the whole team attack on the ball/body was lacking in any real intent!Seriously Simmo, you need to drop the bunnies.Maston,Hutch ,Mcginnity need to go.Get Duggan,Nelson and Sheed in the middle,Downgrade Priddis, role.We cant win a premiership with a bunch of below par talent who dont/cant give 100% every game.

I hope you didn't go to the game mate. i was the G, pathetic 26,000 crowd at the game and it was a poor game, poor representation of the true MCG experience. Carlton fans wouldnt even sell out subi

Yep Etihad on Saturday to see Norf get reamed by Port, and umpires. The the G on Sunday to watch the VEEP. Oh and the Eagles.
So much wasted seating on the wings that you can't access. I asked one of the gatekeepers if they would open up the wings to everyone if it was a low crowd but he said no, he said Etihad much better for access these guy's haven't worked it out yet.
Good to go there but yes very little atmosphere. And Windy up on the 4th tier, watched 2nd half on ground behind goals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back