Carlton Intellectual Property Stolen - now with friendly admin reminder in post #3

Remove this Banner Ad

One can only hope that it gets to the Supreme Court of Victoria and Justice Wheelan throws the case out on grounds of gross and persistent sheer incompetence whist sounding like Digger.

If the women are only getting 5k a year then the total loss could be in the tens of dollars.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm no lawyer but theft of IP not exactly the same as stealing a tangible asset - have a look at the trouble that overseas media conglomerates have had going after people file sharing and downloading movies. Be shocked if it even went to court.

Maybe the guilty party could offer to do community service equal to the value of the asset stolen - helping an old lady across the road should just about square the ledger.

There's one critical bit of information missing from this story. Was there a letter 'C' with a circle around it depicted on the whiteboard?

This wouldn't be like stealing a movie, it's like stealing a companies confidential business plans.

Presumably the room with the whiteboard was not available to the general public and somewhere within the clubs offices, the individual who took the photo would probably have had to either been invited or illegally gained access to the information.

Definitely a crime, I would expect the club to pursue it if only to discourage future perpetrators. I would expect the AFL to back them in this pursuit.

The open door is a dead set give away that the information was a red herring. Or...not.
Who was the player who ran out with shoulder strapping on the uninjured shoulder?
Probably not the same guy with the keys.

Anyone get the feeling that this could be a bit of work to add to the interest/intrigue of womens footy? Maybe make it sound like more of a big deal than some give it credit for?

How would stealing Carlton's intellectual property boost interest in women's footy? Daisy Pearce doesn't play for them so why bother?

This wouldn't be like stealing a movie, it's like stealing a companies confidential business plans.

Presumably the room with the whiteboard was not available to the general public and somewhere within the clubs offices, the individual who took the photo would probably have had to either been invited or illegally gained access to the information.

Definitely a crime, I would expect the club to pursue it if only to discourage future perpetrators. I would expect the AFL to back them in this pursuit.

Not sure it really counts as it was just writing on a whiteboard rather than a confidential business plan. As someone who does a lot of business writing, if you haven't got commercial in confidence or a privacy statement etc on it then you can't really complain too much if it gets used.

As they didn't take the info to gain a commercial advantage but post it on a Web forum I don't see it being strictly speaking, illegal. Trespassing maybe, but this is just a case of a poorly run business.

Highly confidential information left in an unlocked room on a whiteboard? lol.

Not sure it really counts as it was just writing on a whiteboard rather than a confidential business plan. As someone who does a lot of business writing, if you haven't got commercial in confidence or a privacy statement etc on it then you can't really complain too much if it gets used.

As they didn't take the info to gain a commercial advantage but post it on a Web forum I don't see it being strictly speaking, illegal. Trespassing maybe, but this is just a case of a poorly run business.

Highly confidential information left in an unlocked room on a whiteboard? lol.

So if you walked into the Department of Defence and in an unlocked room on a whiteboard was confidential information about the latest I don't know, tank design or whatever. Do you think that walking into an unlocked room in the Department of Defence would be considered fine? How about taking a photo?

What about a legal firm with a whiteboard and case details?
An engineering firm with a new design?
A movie studio with a movie plot?

Is using a whiteboard prohibited in confidential business practice?

They publicly disclosed private details which adversely affected the business, even if not for commercial advantage. Silly to think that isn't a crime.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back