Cancelled
Saints Pledge Contributor
Jun 4, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Arsenal, Portland Trailblazers
After seeing what I saw today I think that all bets are off. The game has changed, and a new team can come over the top when it matters.

If we make improvements in key areas I see no reason why we can't win the flag next year. The Dogs have shown us the way. We need to embrace our destiny to be the next Premiership club.

I truly believe we can do it. Time=ripe.

Am I crazy?

After seeing what I saw today I think that all bets are off. The game has changed, and a new team can come over the top when it matters.

If we make improvements in key areas I see no reason why we can't win the flag next year. The Dogs have shown us the way. We need to embrace our destiny to be the next Premiership club.

I truly believe we can do it. Time=ripe.

Am I crazy?
Just a little... but if we´re in the finals it means we´ve beaten some good sides to get there so why not throw caution to the wind and go in believing we can do it and that anyone is beatable on the day. Gotta make it to September first and then who knows.

If we could have got into the eight this season, it becomes a whole new ball game and anything could have happened- just like the Dogs. 2017 needs to be a big season for us, as we have already signalled ourselves as big improvers and the momentum has to build.

Absolutely no chance, unfortunately. I'd be surprised if we even make the finals next year, let alone win a premiership. GWS is already engraved on next years cup, lock it in. If we do make finals however, that'd be a massive effort but even if we win one, I'd be incredibly happy/proud. I think 2018 is the year we'll be looking at being towards the top half of the 8 and really starting to challenge for the flag.

I think were playing finals next year without a doubt.
But this year against the good sides we were just as likely to be competitive as we were non competitive. Not very consistent.
The thing is i really do believe that theres more than 50% improvement left in over 50% of our starting line up from last year.
Over half our starting 22 underperformed for most parts of 16.
Our additions to that starting 22 will come in ready to go this year too. Not young or fringe.
Dont see why we wont be competing come finals next year.

How'd that go for Port a couple of years ago? They were building then missed the finals two years in a row...
Lol Port went from even further back to Prelim and were then favorites the next year. But yeah then went to shite. What does it all mean? Where did it go wrong? How the fk do i knw? Who cares about Port. Were writing our own history!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon Freeman could be such a key to a sudden surge

We know what Carlisle ia going to give us and Steele would be a great addition.

If Freeman got over his injuries and came in with pace delivering inside 50 anything is possible
But he is in his first year of senior footy

Lol Port went from even further back to Prelim and were then favorites the next year. But yeah then went to shite. What does it all mean? Where did it go wrong? How the fk do i knw? Who cares about Port. Were writing our own history!
The question would have to be asked if Hartlett is part of that failure. Not suggesting he's the problem but you'd want to be sure.

Nah Dogs were a once off with the combination of an even season, injuries artificially lowering their ladder position. Doubt we will see another side win from 7th for a very long time. And there is no chance we're top 4 material next year.

Nah Dogs were a once off with the combination of an even season, injuries artificially lowering their ladder position. Doubt we will see another side win from 7th for a very long time. And there is no chance we're top 4 material next year.
I think the gap in from mediocre to good team is closing as a result of equalization. In the past the bottom 4-6 teams in the finals had been making up the numbers. I think its gonna be a lot more achievable now.
Top 4 still an advantage.
But we have seen not only over the finals but during the year, anyone can win on any given day.

To answer the main question, could we win it next year?
I think we could.
But probably not.
Remember next year because we finished 9th we will have a harder draw.
The bottom six teams will have an easy draw.
I wouldn't be surprised to see a few of those teams win a fair few games next year.

Say what you will about the doggies, but they have basically thrown a lot of old footy truths out the window. "Impossible to win a GF from 7th', 'No GF experience, will be overawed', 'Already played their GF against eagles/hawks/GWS', 'Haven't played/won in a GF for 50+ years, too much pressure', ' celebrated too much in all finals wins'

If we can be there or there abouts near the end of 2017 we have a damn good chance. Get some more luck in the draft in the next few weeks. To steal the line from doggies, 'Why not us?'

Let me cast your mind back to 2003 TassieSaint. We finished 11th with 11 wins and 11 losses. Guess what happened next season????

We won the Anset Cup.
We won our first 10 games.
We finished 4th.
If Steven Baker's Dad and another 3000 people didn't run onto the ground we would have played in the GF.
The way Brisbane were banged up, we would have beaten them.

I reckon if it panned out like it did for the Dogs in the GF- great effort by them but.. in a 22 point game, opposition star forward injures ankle in first quarter, opposition star onballer gets inured in the second half of the game, 20 free kicks to 8 in your favour..we need that kind of luck and we're home!

Let me cast your mind back to 2003 TassieSaint. We finished 11th with 11 wins and 11 losses. Guess what happened next season????

We won the Anset Cup.
We won our first 10 games.
We finished 4th.
If Steven Baker's Dad and another 3000 people didn't run onto the ground we would have played in the GF.
The way Brisbane were banged up, we would have beaten them.
Admire your optimism but objectively we don't have close to the quality on our list right now we had in 2003.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back