Best Test innings you can remember

Remove this Banner Ad

In for Clarkes innings in South Africa.

The physical beating took was unbelievable. He was basically a wicket ripe for the taking yet somehow stuck it out and hit an unbelievable ton.

Gilchrist at the WACA has to be close. The footage of Flintoff helplessly watching the the ball as it sails over his head is an image I'll never forget.

In fact Greg Chappell reached 4 major milestones in his final Test back in 1984; first, he went past Sir Donald Bradman's Test runs (6996), then became the first player to score 7,000 Test runs, and finally with his century became the first player to get 100 in his first Test match (England at Perth 1970-71), and in his final Test (Pakistan at Sydney, 1983/84), and also went past the late Colin Cowdrey for the most number of catches taken in his Test career.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

First Australian player to 7000 runs. Sobers, Boycott, Gavaskar, Cowdrey and Hammond had already passed the 7000 run landmark.

Bill Ponsford had previously scored centuries in his first test and final test.

First Australian player to 7000 runs. Sobers, Boycott, Gavaskar, Cowdrey and Hammond had already passed the 7000 run landmark.

Bill Ponsford had previously scored centuries in his first test and final test.

That Test match in Sydney was also the final Test for Dennis Lillee and Rodney Marsh, and both had the same number of dismissals-355-with 96 from the famous combination: c.Marsh b. Lillee.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Amla's 196 during SA's tour here 4 years ago was pretty good. Whilst probably not the best, Ashton Agar's 98 will be pretty hard to beat in terms of pure excitement from a 19 year old on debut, plus his side desperately needed the runs.

I do appreciate the Agar reference given the contribution of the tail-ender and the fact great innings don't have to be defined by big hundreds. Steve Waugh rates a half century on a difficult 1995 Caribbean wicket as one of his best. Following on from Agar what are some of the best innings by non recognised batsmen? Some of the memorable Aussie performances include Kline and Mackay saving a test in 1960/61 and Dizzy Gillespie scoring a double hundred. Perhaps Carl Rackemann absorbing crucial time in scoring the greatest 9 (sorry Rob Quiney) in the 1990/91 Ashes and contributing to a change in the lbw law is also a hidden gem.

The physical beating took was unbelievable. He was basically a wicket ripe for the taking yet somehow stuck it out and hit an unbelievable ton.

Gilchrist at the WACA has to be close. The footage of Flintoff helplessly watching the the ball as it sails over his head is an image I'll never forget.
Maddinson 2016 Adelaide Oval.

I don't think I know the Rackermann/LBW story, what happened there?

On the final day of the third test in Sydney the Poms were threatening to pull off a great upset and keep the Ashes alive as they steamrolled through the Aussie batters. However Rackemann proved to be a brick wall. He repeatedly threw his pad at the spinners without playing a shot knowing that where the ball was hitting him was typically outside the line of the stumps. The laws of the time meant he couldn't be given out. His innings demonstrated a change in the law was needed and as such the relevant 'playing a shot' in the lbw law we know today was soon implemented. At least that's how I recall it.

Best innings from a tailender - ie. not one that could be considered a bowler who can bat reasonably well - is a tie between Dale Steyn's 70 odd on Boxing Day 2008 - rescued his side with the bat alongside Duminy just to go with the lazy pair of five wicket hauls in the same match.
And Jerome Taylor, who's batting was about 2 rungs above bunny level, hitting a century at a run a ball to help the windies out of trouble in NZ. chances are they would have drawn anyway but from memory he made sure of it. Gee he hit them clean.

On the final day of the third test in Sydney the Poms were threatening to pull off a great upset and keep the Ashes alive as they steamrolled through the Aussie batters. However Rackemann proved to be a brick wall. He repeatedly threw his pad at the spinners without playing a shot knowing that where the ball was hitting him was typically outside the line of the stumps. The laws of the time meant he couldn't be given out. His innings demonstrated a change in the law was needed and as such the relevant 'playing a shot' in the lbw law we know today was soon implemented. At least that's how I recall it.

There you go, I never knew that.

That would be because it's not true. The lbw law change regarding not offering a shot was implemented in 1972.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A few people getting mixed up.

Clarke hit 151 in the 2011 tour of SA.
He hit 161* in the 2014 tour.

Both great innings, probably his 2 best.
Also like Clark's 2nd innings knock in the ashes when Broad bounced him out in the 1st innings. Then poms gave singles to get him on strike. Think it was at the GABBA set the series up for AUS.

Laxmans 277 is the best IMO the flicking through the leg side out of the footmarks off Warne was incredible, no one else could have done that so many times without a mishit

What about Sir Ian Botham's never to be forgotten, superhuman and match winning 149no @ Headingly 1981 after following on.....Surely the greatest ever ?

What about Sir Ian Botham's never to be forgotten, superhuman and match winning 149no @ Headingly 1981 after following on.....Surely the greatest ever ?
It wasn't match-winning. It was Bob Willis and his bowling that was the match winner

I can't split Lara 277 and Laxman 281

Lara's innings was when I first starting watching cricket, and I truly believed at the time that he could not possibly be dismissed...and I was absolutely shattered when he was run out

I watched every ball of Day 4(?) of the Laxman/Dravid partnership. Pure domination, it was poetry. I do love Laxman!

I'll never forget Gilchrist's for the reason that I missed it.

I was on a family holiday in Queensland. I think it was Hussey who was the wicket that fell leading to Gilly coming out. I said to my old man there's no way I'm going out for dinner the way Hussey was creaming them, so as soon as he went out we went to some bar for dinner. Was about a 35 or so minute walk.

I sit down, get a drink, then see the TV and everyone going nuts. Thinking he must of hit a 50 or something. Nope. He hit a ton in the time it took us to walk from the hotel to the place we were getting a feed. Couldn't believe it.

In fact Greg Chappell reached 4 major milestones in his final Test back in 1984; first, he went past Sir Donald Bradman's Test runs (6996), then became the first player to score 7,000 Test runs, and finally with his century became the first player to get 100 in his first Test match (England at Perth 1970-71), and in his final Test (Pakistan at Sydney, 1983/84), and also went past the late Colin Cowdrey for the most number of catches taken in his Test career.
What was interesting with the three retirements that occurred on that day of three Australian greats, on two had planned it to be that way from the start of the summer. Rod Marsh had thought of going on for another year, but when Lillee followed Chappell's announcement that it would be his final summer he said he then just realised that the time was right to finish up.

Laxmans 277 is the best IMO the flicking through the leg side out of the footmarks off Warne was incredible, no one else could have done that so many times without a mishit

Always surprised me alot more batsman didn't take that tactic against warne. The way he used his feet to full balls and worked him to the leg side, forcing warne to bowl shorter then would rock on the back foot was unbelievable.

If we're talking ODI knocks I reckons Symonds made an 150 odd in New Zealand that never got the appreciation it deserves. That and him and Ponting's knocks vs Sri Lanka when we were 3 for nothing stand out for me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back