Prediction How will we go over the next 3-4 years?

Remove this Banner Ad

Not before West Coast
No. But it wasn't until WC last 3 weeks that this game changed focus. By that time the decision was in. If WC didn't have that run this game may have been as close to a dead rubber.

Yep, but it came in far more use to the Bulldogs than us.
Then this was our fault.

No. But it wasn't until WC last 3 weeks that this game changed focus. By that time the decision was in. If WC didn't have that run this game may have been as close to a dead rubber.

Then this was our fault.
Wasn't the decision made later than that?

Premierships are bloody hard to come by, we chose to ignore the relative advantage of a 9 day break going into a crucial game, for commercial gain. The club aren't using the 6 day break as any excuse, but if you ask the fitness guys who work day in day out with the players, they were spent and there was no way we were going to beat west coast.

So West Coast had a 6 day and seven day break. Away, home, away.
We had 2 x 6 day breaks
away, home, home.
Seems like fairly even situation to me. Then a big 15 day break with an easy game v The Roos.

How could we be spent by 1/4 time in the West Coast game. I was there and it was embarrassing and we were s**t, it was a mental thing not a "Spent Thing" from where I sat.

Premierships are bloody hard to come by, we chose to ignore the relative advantage of a 9 day break going into a crucial game, for commercial gain. The club aren't using the 6 day break as any excuse, but if you ask the fitness guys who work day in day out with the players, they were spent and there was no way we were going to beat west coast.

So West Coast had a 6 day and seven day break. Away, home, away.
We had 2 x 6 day breaks
away, home, home.
Seems like fairly even situation to me. Then a big 15 day break with an easy game v The Roos.

How could we be spent by 1/4 time in the West Coast game. I was there and it was embarrassing and we were s**t, it was a mental thing not a "Spent Thing" from where I sat.

Because we clearly went into the game a long way off 100%. All it takes in modern footy is to be a couple % off you're game and suddenly you're 10 goals down a quarter and a half in.

It's a very simplistic view of footy you're taking there and in the 80's sure it was a great concept, but we're in 2016 now, "trying harder" no longer wins you premierships.

Because we clearly went into the game a long way off 100%. All it takes in modern footy is to be a couple % off you're game and suddenly you're 10 goals down a quarter and a half in.

It's a very simplistic view of footy you're taking there and in the 80's sure it was a great concept, but we're in 2016 now, "trying harder" no longer wins you premierships.

Exhibit 1.
Western Bulldogs 2016. They won by trying harder, both physically and mentally.
They were inspirational.

Sure was. And after the game, the players heard some boos as they left the ground. I remember the next game against North it was an empty feeling despite the impressive performance knowing next week is your last all because you finished 5th, a position where only 1 team has made a preliminary final in the current finals system. There is NO room for error in this competition. Now we have to do the hard work all over again and hopefully they come back with belief and not doubt like in the past.

Sure was. And after the game, the players heard some boos as they left the ground. I remember the next game against North it was an empty feeling despite the impressive performance knowing next week is your last all because you finished 5th, a position where only 1 team has made a preliminary final in the current finals system. There is NO room for error in this competition. Now we have to do the hard work all over again and hopefully they come back with belief and not doubt like in the past.

The Bulldogs say Hi!

2 words Adelaide Oval. It's a fortress, not many clubs get the experience of playing in front of 50,000 people every week. Its where we've got to take advantage of like we did last season, except Geelong and West coast. This years draw looks favorable, are main competitors GWS, Sydney, Bulldogs, Geelong have to come and play us at the oval. We take advantage of those games and win them, i reckon were a very good shot for the flag next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well what we have got to do is somehow stop thinking that the answer is magically there with the next elite player we somehow manage to recruit. Where we are and what we have is the now and it is feasible and do-able with where we are and what we have now. What is required is that the Adelaide Football Club and supporters, accept, believe and embrace the present and do not accept the default position of 'there's always next year' with a top tier elite AA player or whatever.
Not having a go at you Geoffa, just my thoughts. We cannot keep drifting into next year and better circumstances!!

Well what we have got to do is somehow stop thinking that the answer is magically there with the next elite player we somehow manage to recruit. Where we are and what we have is the now and it is feasible and do-able with where we are and what we have now. What is required is that the Adelaide Football Club and supporters, accept, believe and embrace the present and do not accept the default position of 'there's always next year' with a top tier elite AA player or whatever.
Not having a go at you Geoffa, just my thoughts. We cannot keep drifting into next year and better circumstances!!

Good post. Its been a 20 year drought so its understandable that people look for magical bullets. I think that we are almost in the territory of trading for the sake of trading, rather than truly needs-must. Right now, we have one of the strongest forward lines in the league. If not for that, I bet the majority would be wanting us to trade for Jeremy Cameron or a Tom Lynch. Because you cant win a premiership without an A-grade forward. We have that covered, and now its a must that we trade for an A-grade mid.

We do have a problem in our midfield, in that its questionable whether ours can go with the other genuine contenders. So I would love for us to trade in somebody that would boost us. But the trade has to make sense. I have to say that I am very happy we did not do a deal for Bryce Gibbs. I think he is massively over-rated, but more than that he is too old. I get the logic, he has at least 2 good years left and if we win a GF then it is worth it. But if you get it wrong, you set yourself back years.

I would like us to go hard for a trade when they present themselves. But we should be aiming for home runs every time. Either genuine proven A-graders (for example offer up 2 first rounders for Shiel or Fyfe - proven quality and still young) or almost certain future A-graders (like Kelly or Pettracca - 2nd or 3rd year players showing they are worthy of their high draft picks). And if we dont succeed, then thats ok. We live to fight another day with our draft picks.

Unless we're aggressive with out list management then we're going to be like Port Adelaide.
I think there should be a ''sea-change'' in attitude towards list management. I am morphing into the thought pattern that we need to be aggressive in our list management. Utilising our SANFL side as a true development league we need to approach delistings as opportunities to turnover mediocre players and find gems through the draft.

Keeping a core of A and B players with D players we should be targeting C players to either trade or delist. For example the end of 2017 could see Thompson, Otten, Kelly, CEY, Gore, Dear along with 2 rookies go.

2 words Adelaide Oval. It's a fortress, not many clubs get the experience of playing in front of 50,000 people every week. Its where we've got to take advantage of like we did last season, except Geelong and West coast. This years draw looks favorable, are main competitors GWS, Sydney, Bulldogs, Geelong have to come and play us at the oval. We take advantage of those games and win them, i reckon were a very good shot for the flag next year.

I hope 3 of those games are nicely spaced out though the season.

Unless we're aggressive with out list management then we're going to be like Port Adelaide.

I thought we already had stepped it up a level since walsh arrived! We have had a fair number of list changes each year since, especially considering we've got a young squad. We leave people on the rookie list way shorter than we used to as well.

Anyway, how would you do our list management different and why will doing what we're doing make us like Port?

I hope 3 of those games are nicely spaced out though the season.
GWS Round 1
Hawthorn Round 14
Bulldogs round 16
Geelong round 18
Sydney Round 22

We do have to play hawthorn round 2 MCG and Geelong Round 11 at Kadina park

GWS Round 1
Hawthorn Round 14
Bulldogs round 16
Geelong round 18
Sydney Round 22

We do have to play hawthorn round 2 MCG and Geelong Round 11 at Kadina park

R14/22 look ok, hopefully Friday or Saturday night games.
And an earlier one near the start of the season will do fine.

R14/22 look ok, hopefully Friday or Saturday night games.
And an earlier one near the start of the season will do fine.
GWS Sunday afternoon
Hawthorn Thursday night
Bulldogs, Geelong and Swans all friday night games.

I have our full record at Adelaide Oval, and it's pretty good:

Port - loss
Sydney - loss
GWS - win
Melbourne - loss
Collingwood - win
Gold Coast - win
North - win
Port - win
Hawthorn - loss
West Coast - loss
Richmond - loss
St Kilda – win
North - win
Melbourne - win
Port - loss
St Kilda - win
Freo - loss
Hawthorn - loss
Port - win
Gold Coast - win
Richmond - win
Brisbane - win
West Coast – win
Port - win
Sydney – win
Fremantle - win
Geelong – loss
GWS – win
St Kilda – win
North – win
Collingwood – win
Essendon – win
Brisbane – win
Port – win
West Coast – loss
North – win

We've won 13 of our last 15 games at home, and our total win 'percentage' at Adelaide Oval is 67% (25 out of 37) - in other words, more than two-thirds of all our games at Adelaide Oval.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back