Sue Ridgepipe

Debutant
Nov 9, 2015
Commode Abode
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Red Bull F1, EPL Spurs, NBA Spurs
What will this series look like in 2017?

I noticed the V8 moniker has been stripped from the series title, are they even still running V8s next year? Isn't the purpose of dropping V8 from the title an attempt to try to lure more manufacturers? Ironically there may be only two next year if Nissan and Volvo bugger off.

What is happening with Walkinshaw Racing after losing Holden factory backing? Never liked HRT, not a Holden thing, more a Walkinshore thing. Bloke was an absolute c***, hated the way he did business. Still, I suppose they are needed in the paddock to make the series semi competitive.

Have Nissan and Volvo both officially pulled the pin? Who honestly couldn't see that coming? They were never in it for the long haul. That Nissan Altima has to go down as the ugliest car in Australian Touring Car history.

I'd like to see Garth go back to Garry Rogers and compete with a decent car (ie Volvo), but if not then what I assume they go back to Holden?

Surely the Kelly brothers won't have the funds to run 4 cars without Nissan's substantial backing, which hopefully means Todd retires from racing. Has become the new Paul Morris. Will they go back to their Holden roots, or retire in Mildura?

Vale Super Black Racing, or whatever your bloody name was, a crap team til the end, even with a Prodrive car.

Nissan recommitted to Kelly Racing for 2017 and 2018 in September

http://www.nissanmotorsport.com.au/news/591-nissan-commits-to-nissan-motorsport
Nissan has signed a new two-year agreement with the Kelly family-owned Nissan Motorsport race team for 2017-18 seasons. The team will continue to field four Nissan Altima Supercars.

Garry Rogers Motorsport's legal action against Volvo has commenced with the Court ordering mediation between both sides

http://www.foxsports.com.au/motorsp...t/news-story/71a452fd3753cdf73cb56ea5493e7412
“The Judge has provided a window of opportunity to resolve the matter this year by way of Court ordered mediation.

“This was very positive from our point of view as we have been attempting to sit down with Volvo and discuss the position that they had left us in following Volvo’s unexpected announcement in May to exit Supercars at the completion of the current season, after earlier indications that an extension to the program was supported.

Tander is rumoured to have signed a deal with GRM for 2017

http://www.motorsport.com/v8supercars/news/tander-sleeping-comfortably-over-2017-plans-856909/
“At this stage yes, but I go to sleep pretty comfortably tonight,” said Tander when asked if he was still without a concrete deal.

“I expect that if we can put the deal together that I am working on it will put me in a very strong car and we will be winning races and have another crack at the championship.”

That can effectively only be a move back to Garry Rogers Motorsport, with the rest of the grid already locked in. The only unconfirmed seats are now Scott McLaughlin’s spot at GRM – a front-running seat, particularly if the team continues with its Volvo package – or the two spots at minnow team LD Motorsport, should it continue as a two-car operation.

Kia have announced intentions for 2018, with GRM rumoured to be the team involved.

http://www.motoring.com.au/kia-confirms-supercar-discussions-104787/
Kia Australia boss Damien Meredith has confirmed the company has commenced discussions regarding a potential entry into the Virgin Australia Supercar Championship (VASC).

Meredith told motoring.com.au that two meetings had taken place with a key supercar team.

The Korean brand is expected to launch a high-powered rear-wheel drive sports sedan into the Australian market in the third quarter of 2017.

Although initially tipped to be a V8, it’s now likely the car will feature an alternative powerplant. The powerplant is in line with changes to Australia’s premier domestic racing series that come into effect in time for the 2018 series.

Meredith would not confirm the identity of the team or individuals involved in the VASC discussions. motoring.com.au believes however that the Gary Rogers Motorsport (GRM)operation is the likely potential partner.

I know this is a 2017 thread but I thought i'd jump ahead to 2018... as I didn't see any other appropriate threads for the topic.

With the introduction of the new Holden Commodore in 2018, and with the motorsport people at Holden today confirming that it will compete in the 2018 Supercars series, I thought i'd make a bit of a concept image. There are quite a few changes aesthetically, not to mention the change from a V8 to a twin turbo V6. Judging by these images below, it take some getting used to.

2016:

2018:
2018 Holden Commodore Supercar.jpg

I know this is a 2017 thread but I thought i'd jump ahead to 2018... as I didn't see any other appropriate threads for the topic.

With the introduction of the new Holden Commodore in 2018, and with the motorsport people at Holden today confirming that it will compete in the 2018 Supercars series, I thought i'd make a bit of a concept image. There are quite a few changes aesthetically, not to mention the change from a V8 to a twin turbo V6. Judging by these images below, it take some getting used to.

2016:

2018:
View attachment 317332
Nice

Its an Opel, hence the European styling.

Minor changes to the Newcastle circuit layout

Old
http://www.carsguide.com.au/car-new...stle-secures-five-year-deal-for-season-ending
Newcastle-Circuit-Map-image-supplied-by-Virgin-Australia-Supercars-Championship.jpg

New
http://www.supercars.com/news/championship/supercars-unveil-newcastle-street-circuit/?sf46153897=1
Screen-Shot-2016-12-12-at-5.13.37-PM.png

I reckon the newer one is moreso. Fair enough too, its the best street circuit in the world.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How different would that 73 Bathurst have been if the V8 Charger, V8 XU1 and the Phase IV been allowed to compete.

Early tests of the Phase IV had it clocked at 270kph which put it at Ferrari Daytona and Lamborghini Miura speed !!!

I like the matte finish, and it matches up with all other Red Bull Motorsport.

A lot of people do it now, and its been that way in alot of US championships. Like your favourite football keeping his same number every year.

I'd take the #1 if I was him, but it doesn't mean too much.

For some reason I always found a race car more appealing with the number 1 displayed. I guess its a childhood thing.

It certainly makes it more memorable even if the car didn't go on to much success. Don't understand the appeal of retaining the old number either.

For some reason I always found a race car more appealing with the number 1 displayed. I guess its a childhood thing.

It certainly makes it more memorable even if the car didn't go on to much success. Don't understand the appeal of retaining the old number either.
Its a strange one, but as I said it's a change in culture. You associate Michael Jordan with 23, and LBJ, even Warnie. I can see the drivers wanting to create the same deal with their numbers.

Not sure I like it either but I can definetly see the appeal. I mean ADR even chose his number due to being an Earnhardt fan.

Anyone else put off by the red Holden writing on the navy background? To me it seems sort of hard to see, and I wouldn't have thought a white outline could have made it stand out a bit more (maybe that looks too much like the rb logo?)

Anyway, no matter how it looks, they'll still be the fastest on the track. :)

We can only hope not, but I suspect the gap may get bigger. DJRP will be the biggest threat IMO.

Its a strange one, but as I said it's a change in culture. You associate Michael Jordan with 23, and LBJ, even Warnie. I can see the drivers wanting to create the same deal with their numbers.

Not sure I like it either but I can definetly see the appeal. I mean ADR even chose his number due to being an Earnhardt fan.

Not sure if it is strange from a ATCC perspective. Don't believe Peter Brock or Dick Johnson took the number 1 either.

How different would that 73 Bathurst have been if the V8 Charger, V8 XU1 and the Phase IV been allowed to compete.

Early tests of the Phase IV had it clocked at 270kph which put it at Ferrari Daytona and Lamborghini Miura speed !!!
Global oil crisis + "Supercar scare "

Both a few years before my time but i've read up on it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supercar_scare

^^ For the juniors here.

Good lord can you imagine the state of Group C by 1984 if the scare hadn't happened ??

Remove this Banner Ad

Back