Opinion The 'Carlton related stuff that doesn't need it's own thread' thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Watching the 99 Prelim on Fox. Thank you Fox Footy...for the gift that keeps giving!!

Best game of footy I have ever been to...by a country mile..
Was there.
I wasn't....

I was sitting atop a mountain of mud, dirt and rock.
I was working on my first home that was being built at the time. It was a long day, and I was tired, frustrated and hurting. It looked liked this place would never be completed. Thieves had stolen the kitchen appliances and bathroom fittings a couple of nights earlier. My electrician had taken ill and, I was there to do what?! I didn't know which end of a hammer to hold. But still I was there, contributing....

I hadn't listened to the game at all. I had too many worries, too many things needed to be done. Plus we were a "second rate team" according to our own coach. What chance did we have against the might of Essendon. "Why bother?" I thought...

I was there with my boy, staring at this monstrosity that had taken over my life and drained every penny I had. Surrounded by mud and vacant blocks of land. It was getting dark and it was a lonely, miserable place...

My son was four years old, he was having the time of his life kicking a footy in the mud...

I decided to take a break. I turned the radio on in the car, opened the door, lit a smoke and climbed up the top of that muddy, depressing mountain in my "backyard".... my son came up to join me.

We could hear there was about 8 minutes left in the game. Then...Hamill. Then... Whitnall ! Then Brown...

My son was just starting to understand footy, but he knew something good had just happened because dad was dancing and crying at the same time...

It signalled "tools down" for the day, and my son and I kicked the footy for the next hour in that shitty, horrible, muddy yard. But it might as well have been the MCG, because in that moment, the world wasn't so bad. And my son and I shared a moment created by the greatest football club in the world...

Was there like many others. Up behind the goals in Great Southern Stand. Can remember the celebrations vividly. In my top ten games to be at in person.

Top 10, tough judge. Surely outside of the winning GF's there has been no better?

I drank the rest.

I backed it up the next week at the GF. I drank too much and can't remember much beyond halftime, I have not bothered watching the second half but probably should one day. I had passes to get into the rooms after the match but because we lost the doorman would not let us in....probably just as well as I would have made a pickle of myself!

Top 10, tough judge. Surely outside of the winning GF's there has been no better?

Nah, enjoyed some other games I been to even more.
So many magical games I went to in 1982 and 83 that I cherish having seen live. Just magical days at the football.
94 Eagles at Princes Park was out of this world for a 90's game too. That was almost as good as some of games I attended in 82 and 83.

Only been to one winning grand final too. 1995. Was drinking at quarter time as we knew we had it in bag after a few minutes.
Was at 86, 93 and 99 loss.
Missed 87 grand final. Must have not had tickets that year for some reason. Had to settle watching on tv.

Nah, enjoyed some other games I been to even more.
So many magical games I went to in 1982 and 83 that I cherish having seen live. Just magical days at the football.
94 Eagles at Princes Park was out of this world for a 90's game too. That was almost as good as some of games I attended in 82 and 83.

Come on man, whilst they were great days none come close to going in the most long shot underdogs against the arch enemy who had the most arrogant swagger going into the game and rolling them by one point!

Come on man, whilst they were great days none come close to going in the most long shot underdogs against the arch enemy who had the most arrogant swagger going into the game and rolling them by one point!

I absolutely loved it. Emotionally right up there on the day itself but the reality was we were not a premiership winning side. Was more my favourite upset game to enjoy but not my biggest high to be at for a game. For me personally as a Carlton supporter, there is even more high's when the team is playing sensational football that is premiership material and you know it at the time. Some of the premiership quarter stuff I experienced live in 1982 was out of this world fun times. We played some of that style a few games in 83 too, but Bosustow suspended and Johnston gone at the game we done North, ended that heady run of matches.

Apart from grand final wins, nothing comes close to this..

Did my back badly after two mates jumped for joy from four rows back.. unfortunately I didn't expect the 180 kg landing on me!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Probably round 20 and 21 of both 1982 and 83 been my favourite back to back games to goto. Both years building up big momentum with finals around the corner and big wins against the main contenders at the time. The game against Richmond at G with well over 70,000 and if I am right was first game I went to with video scoreboard at MCG. Remember Jimmy Buckley jig celebration replayed after a big goal in that massive game. Was preview for the grand final to come in the next month.
Some very exciting matches against Hawks in both those seasons too. One of the games where we kicked about 8 goals in 6 minutes was off the charts good. When you are doing that against a side with guys like Lethal Leigh, Buckenara and others it was super standard football of two amazing teams. I think the following week we meet North in another big game with them on top of ladder and they beat us by 111 points earlier in year. We were 22 points down against Hawks at half time the week before and kicked 10 goals in third quarter. This week was half expecting another amazing comeback. 19 points down at half time. Won by 33 points and sealed our finals spot and finally in premiership type form for the season. I do not remember coming home from Princes Park more exciting from two sizzling second half comebacks in a row.
I think the round 3 game of 1983 when Buzz kicked 6 goals against the Pies at VFL Park was an awesome atmosphere too.

Really enjoyed both our second semi final wins against Hawks in 1986 and 87. I felt after both times we were going to win the flag after those matches advanced us into the grand final. One of those years I read the tea leaves wrong from that game. They were high quality finals though.

1993 against Lions when we were well behind at half time against a good Ftzroy side and SOS moved up forward was electric match. Think we kicked about 20 goals in second half with SOS about half of those himself.

They would all be some of best games I been to live. There are about 4 special games at our home Princes Park I can never forget. My favourite games. 1994 against Eagles with Bradley banana goal was the next best.

1995 grand final was best in terms of prize. The other games even higher for me personally for the journey on at the time.

1999 prelim final in there, just not in my best 2 or 3. Last year home and away win over Port where Casboult went down early and Kruezer injured was most special win in last decade I feel as it showed in terms of spirit, we finally starting something anew after so much gloom not long before under Malthouse. We been fair dinkum as a club since for where we are going and belief. There are probably other games I missed but most of these games I can recall the feelings and high emotions of being at so easily. I can even remember where I was sitting at the one v Hawks in 1983. Some matches are a complete blur in terms of memories. Even big 100 point wins but others that meant more at time just stick with me forever.

Last edited:
Was there like many others. Up behind the goals in Great Southern Stand. Can remember the celebrations vividly. In my top ten games to be at in person.
I was watching at my home on the Gold Coast. I had watched most of the game sitting in my recliner, but for that frantic last few minutes I was standing behind the recliner. There was too much tension to be able to sit down. It just seemed they would find a way to beat us however Mercuri's dribble kick went the wrong side of the post, then Wallis decided he wanted to be a hero instead of spotting up a target inside 50. Brown was ready & the rest, as they say in the classics, is history.

Mercuri kick was only brief moment I remember being worried. It was always tense and close but all day it felt like the upset was in the air.
We actually found our best form for season the week before against Eagles. Essendon and their supporters just did not pick up we were in the mood for something epic. One of best things about the day was after the final siren seeing downstairs many Bomber fans stuck in their seat and still not moved. They were in genuine shock. I missed the paramedics coming up to help Love the Drake get back up. Poor bugger. It was crazy in the stands though at the end so not surprised some casualties.

Mercuri kick was only brief moment I remember being worried. It was always tense and close but all day it felt like the upset was in the air.
We actually found our best form for season the week before against Eagles. Essendon and their supporters just did not pick up we were in the mood for something epic. One of best things about the day was after the final siren seeing downstairs many Bomber fans stuck in their seat and still not moved. They were in genuine shock. I missed the paramedics coming up to help Love the Drake get back up. Poor bugger. It was crazy in the stands though at the end so not surprised some casualties.
Yes FF78. It was quite a dramatic extraction from the members stand that day. Followed by the hour long taxi ride (in the prone position) to Mornington later that evening.

Spent the next two weeks (including the GF) laying on my stomach.

The Essendon arrogance and pure dismay was on hand that day. My mates and I gave it to them early, thinking it was only a matter of time before they overran us. The fans were up and about when they went three goals up in the third quarter.

To come back and win, in the circumstances, was quite remarkable.

Really enjoyed the darthbards backup on main board ODN. He become a serial Carlton pest on everything I read on main board. It's time he's made accountable on all the dumb s**t he says.

Last edited:
Was going through the emails to unsubscribe from the endless junk I get and saw one from Carlton about the AGM this year. I had a quick read of the notice and it explained that one third of the board must retire each year but can nominate for re-election. This year, nobody else nominated for election so those people just roll on to the next year.

Has anyone here ever thought about nominating to be on the board? It's our club (if you are a member). Why not give it a shot if you are able?

Was going through the emails to unsubscribe from the endless junk I get and saw one from Carlton about the AGM this year. I had a quick read of the notice and it explained that one third of the board must retire each year but can nominate for re-election. This year, nobody else nominated for election so those people just roll on to the next year.

Has anyone here ever thought about nominating to be on the board? It's our club (if you are a member). Why not give it a shot if you are able?

I would but they don't accept teddy bears.
Let's start a petition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back