The Official Week 18 'The Earth is Flat: A Marcus Smart Story of Fouling' Thread

Worst Commentary Teams - One Vote Only

• Boston - Gorman/Tommy Heinshon

Votes: 18 46.2%
  • Atlanta - Bob Rathburn and Nique

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • Cleveland - Fred Mcleod and Austin Carr

Votes: 5 12.8%
  • Golden State - Bob Fitzgerald and Jim Barnett

Votes: 3 7.7%
  • Houston - Bill Worrell and Clyde Drexler

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • OKC - Brian Davis and Michael Cage

Votes: 1 2.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah the new "salary cap" that came with the new TV deal hasn't exactly helped the spread of talent or the ability of smaller markets to keep talent at all.

NBA is crying for a hard cap that is actually a reasonable number.

Obviously you haven't watched the Lakers at all this season. Williams has been doing it all season

I don't think the size of the cap matters as it pertains to trying to deter super teams from being a thing, if it was smaller the same %'s of the cap that guys could earn depending on what year in the league they're in would be still be the same and that's where the issue is.

IMO if you changed that just had it open where teams had a hard cap but were free to pay guys whatever and not have the ceilings on it (20%, 25%, 30% of the cap e.t.c) that allows the 40th best guy to be paid the same as the top tier guys and instead just allow the market to truly dictate player worth you'd really find out who the guys are who'd want to take pay cuts to allow other stars to play with them and who are the guys who are fine taking like 45% of the cap because they can.

I don't think the size of the cap matters as it pertains to trying to deter super teams from being a thing, if it was smaller the same %'s of the cap that guys could earn depending on what year in the league they're in would be still be the same and that's where the issue is.

IMO if you changed that just had it open where teams had a hard cap but were free to pay guys whatever and not have the ceilings on it (20%, 25%, 30% of the cap e.t.c) that allows the 40th best guy to be paid the same as the top tier guys and instead just allow the market to truly dictate player worth you'd really find out who the guys are who'd want to take pay cuts to allow other stars to play with them and who are the guys who are fine taking like 45% of the cap because they can.

Not really.

The Warriors super-team is basically built on a perfect storm or a ridiculous good Curry contract and an explosion in the salary cap. Cleveland is built around the owner willing to go broke to win championships. The Knicks super-team is built around lols.

Increasing the max spend is just going to cause huge issues for several years for teams that buy the wrong guy (look at some of the teams around 2000 that made huge mistakes). At least at 25% the damage one contract can cause is limited.

Shaq should have stopped years ago. It was funny at first, but now it pretty much involves Shaq finding anything Javale does wrong and chucking it in there.

Shaq has pretty much turned it into a full on hate campaign against McGee.

If the shoes were on the other foot Shaq would hate it. The bloke cannot take being the butt of the joke at all.

The thing is McGee has been fantastic this year. Maybe the best center off the bench in the league (I might be missing someone). He's getting 1.4M this year. Talk about one of the best contracts going around.

I have no issues with them making light of stupid things NBA players do, but picking out every little thing is a bit sad and pathetic.

Not really.

The Warriors super-team is basically built on a perfect storm or a ridiculous good Curry contract and an explosion in the salary cap. Cleveland is built around the owner willing to go broke to win championships. The Knicks super-team is built around lols.

Increasing the max spend is just going to cause huge issues for several years for teams that buy the wrong guy (look at some of the teams around 2000 that made huge mistakes). At least at 25% the damage one contract can cause is limited.
I hate the idea of having rules to save teams from themselves, having the smarter guys handicapped because the league is worried that a bunch of morons will make mistakes isn't in the spirit of being the best of the best, in my eyes. It'll never happen because the owners (and prob the players too) wouldn't let it.

It's pretty hard to compare the situations we currently have to what I'm suggesting I'd want since what we have is a result of the rules we have in place. If in my example you have (just to throw out an arbritary round number) a 100mm hard cap (and im talking a hard cap, not something that just allows billionaires that own these things as play toys to go into the luxury tax).

Like in my world when Lebron decides he wants to come back to Cleveland and isn't restricted to that 35% what is he demanding? he's clearly worth exponentially more than that, and if he decides he wants 55% they'd give him that and how does that affect them getting and extending Love like they did? Do Klay and Draymond take those deals they take if other teams are able to offer them more than 25% cap the Warriors were able to offer them if other teams come harder for them? Or do the Warriors end up giving them more because they want to and that in turn doesn't allow them the space they had to get Durant since no other team was able to offer him more than what the Warriors could? I think it's easy to say "well they'd take less to stay together" but it's another thing when they'd be offered a lot more by someone else.

I'm rambling but I suppose what I'm saying is all the situations that we have are a direct result of the current system and in a different world with different rules it doesn't play out like that.

was watching sunrise this morning.
report about ben simmons came on, sports guy says sixers has lost 60 games this season.
im like.. thats not right.. they haven't even played 60 games!.

#sunriseasportsguyalternativefacts
He'll be having the last laugh when the Sixers go 1-25 in their remaining games!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is this s**t between Shaq and McGee actually legit or are they taking the piss?

"Shaq was a s---ty free throw shooter. He missed dunks. He airballed free throws. He couldn't shoot outside the paint," Durant said. "He's bigger than everybody. He didn't have any skill, but he was bigger and stronger than everybody. And he's still a great player, but you had your flaws too as a player. And he played on five or six teams too, so it's not like he was just like this perfect center. You had your flaws, too."

Not sure how that is relevant KD

"Shaq was a s---ty free throw shooter. He missed dunks. He airballed free throws. He couldn't shoot outside the paint," Durant said. "He's bigger than everybody. He didn't have any skill, but he was bigger and stronger than everybody. And he's still a great player, but you had your flaws too as a player. And he played on five or six teams too, so it's not like he was just like this perfect center. You had your flaws, too."

Not sure how that is relevant KD
the siege mentality continues

I argue that Shaq was extremely skillful. His size made it easier, but what could he do about it.
Of course warriors want the world against them it's the right thing to do in their position. if you're going to be hated you should embrace it. now that they're the big ticket in town these days the hate meter peaking at harden, cp3, Griffin and others seems like a lifetime ago. For example wouldn't have ever thought draymond would be at this level of disdain when I watched his first couple of seasons .

Back