Game Day JLT Community Series - Carlton v Melbourne Game Day Discussion/Autopsy

Remove this Banner Ad

While I was in favour of a Gibbs trade during the recent trade period, I didn't think this was still an option anymore. Or are some still pushing it?

Realistically we won't know for sure until the end of the season.

My gut - and it is a big one - tells me that Adelaide will once again come knocking.

you'd hope we have a bit more pressure and attack on the ball come the real stuff, not sure what the game plan is but nothing works without pressure.

Gibbs - good game, looks fit and in good touch, intensity just average.
Wright - solid game, not a huge impact.
E Curnow - involved but sloppy.
Docherty - Usual good game, good footy smarts and skills.
Simpson - probably took a bit to work into it, didn't chase well on some occasions but provided some attack.
Murphy - Not sure back pocket is his position but he was good, handball game was good.
Kerridge - little impact, skills average and speed average.
Marchbank - Great game at center half back, read the game really well, looks to like to attack and rebound well.
C Curnow - pretty impressive, looks one to watch develop into a really good player. Center work was alright and forward impact was decent. Intensity and defensive aspects might be his challenge.
Kreuzer - Looks fitter than ever, should be his best season, shaddowed bu Gawn but everyone is. Good battle, typical Kreuzer game.
Thomas - started really good and looked good early but just didn't come to him. Looked ok forward but tough day of it on the wing.
Casboult - looked good on the ball but just little results going forward.
Smedts - attack on the ball needs to improve. Looked scratchy.
Plowman - looked a bit sloppy. Looks fitter but attacking the ball and gathering it cleanly need to improve.
Palmer - had a rough day, didn't have a huge impact. Some good things.
Weitering - looked better forward but was a tough day for forwards and backs.
Rowe - sloppy skills, wasn't overly involved.
Fisher - Came on and looked really good. Happy to see him in the side round 1. Applied great intensity and pressure which we desperately need. Seems to be a smart footballer and not to bad with his hands.
White - typical solid game by white.
Cuningham - Involved but didn't impact. Not sure he's got the best footy brain, needs to be receiving it more and getting on the run. Some nice things but it was a battle.
Buckley - hardly noticed him, needs to do more to be involved in the game when he's not getting it.
Silvagni - Found it hard to get into the game, needs to go into the midfield more.
Pickett - Looked pretty good when he came on, did some nice things and kicked a few goals, got to the right places.
Lebois - looked really impressive, should play games this year, looks to have the skills and pace to make it.
McKay - terrible day to be a forward with that midfield. Not convinced yet that he's got real good hands. Want to see him running harder up the ground and leading more. Terrific athleticism and desire to chase and tackle. Still feel that he's be useful in the ruck.
Gorringe - came on later and got injured.

No intensity. Poor attack on the ball. We aren't gaining possession with momentum. Easy to tackle, can't get free, really ordinary handballing game, positioning, intensity and attack on the ball questionable. Work rate to push hard both ways and desire to chase and apply pressure is shithouse and there was no example set by our leaders.

A lot of improving to do!

My brother just called me from on the road saying that Dermie was on SEN. Said he hadn't seen the game but heard from a dees player that played against us on the weekend that we were the most disorganised team this player had ever seen.

Now I didn't hear Dermie, but I watched the game and counted around 9 players that hadn't played or had played very little for the navy blues. That's over a 3rd of the team! We rotated players differently and, from Bolton himself after the game, we tried new things and played players out of position. Why is 1 loss in a scratch match becoming an issue? It's always disappointing losing a game no matter when we play, but Cunningham, C.Curnow, McKay, Marchbank, Smedts, LeBois, Pickett, Fisher, Palmer etc have (mostly) never played a game with us!

I also heard myself this morning Garry Lyon and Tim Watson talking about our season ahead. Watson thinks we will be ok recruiting kids for the future but we will finish 17th. Garry on the other hand had nothing nice to say. He thinks our bookends aren't great (doesn't think Plowman will play 200 games and doesn't seem sold on Marchbank) and thinks we are well behind the dees (which really we are considering they've been rebuilding for about 7 years)! Just amazed at all the negativity. Yes, our list is young but it isn't poor. It's going to take time to get the kids where we need them. Also, it was funny to hear Lyon saying that SOS recruited Jacksh to the blues! If you want to hear a true perspective on our list, listen to the Carlton Club podcast. Lyon has hated the blues for a while. We are on the right track and have some great bookends for once! And yes plowman will play 200 games. As will Marchbank and weitering. And that backline will keep us in good stead for the next 10 years.
C.Curnow, McKay, Silvagni and co will be fine for the next 10 years up forward. We just need another 5 Cripps' and 5 Judd's!

That Melb player obviously hadn't played his own club in the previous decade.

If Derm wants people to ring in he'll bag Carlton. It's his go to subject.

you'd hope we have a bit more pressure and attack on the ball come the real stuff, not sure what the game plan is but nothing works without pressure.

Gibbs - good game, looks fit and in good touch, intensity just average.
Wright - solid game, not a huge impact.
E Curnow - involved but sloppy.
Docherty - Usual good game, good footy smarts and skills.
Simpson - probably took a bit to work into it, didn't chase well on some occasions but provided some attack.
Murphy - Not sure back pocket is his position but he was good, handball game was good.
Kerridge - little impact, skills average and speed average.
Marchbank - Great game at center half back, read the game really well, looks to like to attack and rebound well.
C Curnow - pretty impressive, looks one to watch develop into a really good player. Center work was alright and forward impact was decent. Intensity and defensive aspects might be his challenge.
Kreuzer - Looks fitter than ever, should be his best season, shaddowed bu Gawn but everyone is. Good battle, typical Kreuzer game.
Thomas - started really good and looked good early but just didn't come to him. Looked ok forward but tough day of it on the wing.
Casboult - looked good on the ball but just little results going forward.
Smedts - attack on the ball needs to improve. Looked scratchy.
Plowman - looked a bit sloppy. Looks fitter but attacking the ball and gathering it cleanly need to improve.
Palmer - had a rough day, didn't have a huge impact. Some good things.
Weitering - looked better forward but was a tough day for forwards and backs.
Rowe - sloppy skills, wasn't overly involved.
Fisher - Came on and looked really good. Happy to see him in the side round 1. Applied great intensity and pressure which we desperately need. Seems to be a smart footballer and not to bad with his hands.
White - typical solid game by white.
Cuningham - Involved but didn't impact. Not sure he's got the best footy brain, needs to be receiving it more and getting on the run. Some nice things but it was a battle.
Buckley - hardly noticed him, needs to do more to be involved in the game when he's not getting it.
Silvagni - Found it hard to get into the game, needs to go into the midfield more.
Pickett - Looked pretty good when he came on, did some nice things and kicked a few goals, got to the right places.
Lebois - looked really impressive, should play games this year, looks to have the skills and pace to make it.
McKay - terrible day to be a forward with that midfield. Not convinced yet that he's got real good hands. Want to see him running harder up the ground and leading more. Terrific athleticism and desire to chase and tackle. Still feel that he's be useful in the ruck.
Gorringe - came on later and got injured.

No intensity. Poor attack on the ball. We aren't gaining possession with momentum. Easy to tackle, can't get free, really ordinary handballing game, positioning, intensity and attack on the ball questionable. Work rate to push hard both ways and desire to chase and apply pressure is shithouse and there was no example set by our leaders.

A lot of improving to do!

Again, it was a practice match and our first for the year. Lots of new players for the club and players not playing in their positions. Bolts worked the interchange differently as well.

My brother just called me from on the road saying that Dermie was on SEN. Said he hadn't seen the game but heard from a dees player that played against us on the weekend that we were the most disorganised team this player had ever seen.

Now I didn't hear Dermie, but I watched the game and counted around 9 players that hadn't played or had played very little for the navy blues. That's over a 3rd of the team! We rotated players differently and, from Bolton himself after the game, we tried new things and played players out of position. Why is 1 loss in a scratch match becoming an issue? It's always disappointing losing a game no matter when we play, but Cunningham, C.Curnow, McKay, Marchbank, Smedts, LeBois, Pickett, Fisher, Palmer etc have (mostly) never played a game with us!

I also heard myself this morning Garry Lyon and Tim Watson talking about our season ahead. Watson thinks we will be ok recruiting kids for the future but we will finish 17th. Garry on the other hand had nothing nice to say. He thinks our bookends aren't great (doesn't think Plowman will play 200 games and doesn't seem sold on Marchbank) and thinks we are well behind the dees (which really we are considering they've been rebuilding for about 7 years)! Just amazed at all the negativity. Yes, our list is young but it isn't poor. It's going to take time to get the kids where we need them. Also, it was funny to hear Lyon saying that SOS recruited Jacksh to the blues! If you want to hear a true perspective on our list, listen to the Carlton Club podcast. Lyon has hated the blues for a while. We are on the right track and have some great bookends for once! And yes plowman will play 200 games. As will Marchbank and weitering. And that backline will keep us in good stead for the next 10 years.
C.Curnow, McKay, Silvagni and co will be fine for the next 10 years up forward. We just need another 5 Cripps' and 5 Judd's!

Garry Lyon and Tim Watson... for serious? What a combination!!!

I think the worst part for me about the weekend was there's a hype train for a lot of "rebuilding" teams now - Melbourne, St. Kilda, North, Essendon some what. We aren't apart of that discussion. It's like the whole world doesn't think we have a decent kid besides Cripps. I really wanted a few to SHINE...didn't really see that. Besides Marchbank.
Unfortunately we don't have as good depth as those teams just yet but I think we are building nicely. We have 2 "elite" players 23 and under with a few like Weitering and Marchbank who are tracking that way. Saints and North don't have any elite under 23 players. Essendon have Merrett (with Parish tracking nicely), and Melbourne have a quite a few who are tracking very nicely (like Petracca) and could be classed as elite very shortly.

I think we are building a really good leadership group of younger players. Whilst this year may be difficult, I don't think this rebuild is going to take as long as many are making out, we just need to get games into these younger guys.

Realistically we won't know for sure until the end of the season.

My gut - and it is a big one - tells me that Adelaide will once again come knocking.

Gee the Adelaide fans will be losing there minds if they come back in for him again. LOL. My feeling after failing to move him a few months ago is that he sees out his contract now. But I guess we will see around this years trade period.

That morning show is junk along with Mark 'I hate anything Carlton' Allen in the afternoons...

We didn't do much last pre season games either, we stayed low on rotation as well, far too much hysteria after on practise match

Is this the same Gary Lyon who was bought back to Melbourne for his brilliant mind to help resurrect the club only to have it crumble?
It then took the AFL 5 mill and Paul Roos 4 years to get to where they are now and fix his mess
Yep, another one of those ex players from the mid 90s that hated getting smashed by the Blues.
The hate compounded when we were found guilty of salary cap breaches. So now they hated us more as we were cheats.
Child like morons will despise us for life....which will make #17 even sweeter.

Strange how there are no ex Carlton players in the media.
None that i can think of right now anyway..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That morning show is junk along with Mark 'I hate anything Carlton' Allen in the afternoons...

We didn't do much last pre season games either, we stayed low on rotation as well, far too much hysteria after on practise match
Even my pommy mate at work, that reckons our game is 'shite', and barely gives it a look, cant understand the doomsday attitude off our supporters and the media "experts" alike.

Why telegraph your punches?

In regards to the 'caller' Brereton spoke to...
Do we really think Bolts has lost the plot and all of a sudden can't organise our team structures.
Our back 6 were mighty last season, and so well drilled.
If we were as bad and as disorganised as this player says, i'd be more likely to think we are keeping pretty much the whole thing under wraps, and very loosely experimenting.
I can't believe for a second that we've regressed that far in 6 months

Watching the replay, we really did play a intra club style of footy, pretty obvious that Bolton was more concerned about players getting TOG and tying some positional changes.
Melbourne had the big advantage of having played a game last week, in which they knocked off the doggies and were playing on there home training deck.
Think there were plenty of positives.

Melbourne have invested very heavily in there midfield through the draft and after years of rebuilding now have one of the best young up and coming inside midfielders in the AFL.
We were missing one of the best clearance and contested ball players in the league and still managed to keep the clearence and contested ball numbers respectable, clearances 35-30 contested ball 127-119.
That's a fair effort with out Cripps, also think SPS will add some serious quality to our midfield.

+Krueze's form was the one of the biggest positives IMO, can't remember the last time I've seen Kruezer moving so freely, he took it right up to Max Gawn and think they may have ended up with 18 hit outs each, but Kruezer's ruck work looked much more convincing. This could be the year he finally gets some luck with injuries and shows the footy world what he can do.

+Marchbank just looked a class above, not hard to see why GWS had big plans for him and expected reasonable compensation, he really is a massive get for the club, he could be in for a big year.
+We had Charlie Curnow show us some really exciting flashs and looks like he really could plays as a big bodied mid.
+Even Harry laid some great tackles, the kid is still very raw, but plenty to work with.
+ Weitering showed how natural he looks playing as a forward.
+Cuningham got better as the game went on and seem to really gain some confidence after he nailed that set shot.
+Fisher showed us he can win the footy, playing against the big boys, with 10 touches in a half of footy.
+ Pickett and Lebois did some great work inside the forward 50, pretty impressive first up hit out for both these boys.
+Gibbs 29 possessions and Doc 24 possessions, look like they're in for big years.
+ Murphy had 20 possessions and showed off some of his elite foot skills, good first game back.

Really don't get the negativity. So many good signs from our youth. Fisher impressed me the most, his intensity and attack of the footy is already A grade. That's a solid foundation to work on. I seem to be the only one who was hoping for a spanking. Woudnt want bolts to reveal his cards that he has desperately been hiding for months now on the first practice match.

We are in the exact position we want to be heading into round 1... underrated by all. Tiges won't know what will hit them round one ;)

Really wanking each other off over there on the Melbourne board in their post match reveiw. No consideration for time on ground, rotations, 9 new players at Carlton or players out of position v the near best they can put on the park in their preferred positions plus 8 rotations. They might get a little too ahead of themselves just like when they beat hawthorn last year, found a mathematical chance to finals and then got belted by Cripps and Gibbs he following week. Lol.

I don't wanna seem overly negative but

images

Remove this Banner Ad

Back