Mod. Notice Your new moderator is......

Remove this Banner Ad

Nah, I think my invite got lost in the mail...

Not, really. I keep hearing about a clique but I am not sure anyone has really mentioned who's in it.

Here we are at our latest meeting.

The only clique on this board are the tinfoil hat brigade who think there's a clique :rainbow:

Opened this thread, instant reaction "wow yeah good choice". Bigfooty Port board in good hands

Who stops free speech in this town?
Who keeps the Trump supporters down?
We doooo. We doooo.
Who makes Toumpas run twelve miles, before he finishes his time trial?
We doooo. We doooo.
Who holds back Arthur Dungar?
Who makes John Butcher ... a star!?
We doooo. We doooo.
Who robs posters of their rights?
Who rigs mod appointment night?
We doooo. Weeeeee dooooooooo!

I don't think there's a clique per se - I think it's just that people might feel intimidated when they post something that others might belittle or criticize them for. Unless you've got a strong personality type that can get your point across with something witty or clever, I can see why people would think they are relegated to the sidelines in discussions. Everyone remembers a Tribey post, or El_Scorcho's irrational love for Butcher etc. and it's hard for someone new to break through that wall of constant chatter to have their opinion heard.

I'm Janus, and that's my take.

I don't think there's a clique per se - I think it's just that people might feel intimidated when they post something that others might belittle or criticize them for. Unless you've got a strong personality type that can get your point across with something witty or clever, I can see why people would think they are relegated to the sidelines in discussions. Everyone remembers a Tribey post, or El_Scorcho's irrational love for Butcher etc. and it's hard for someone new to break through that wall of constant chatter to have their opinion heard.

That's just life. Playground rules and all that. You just have to earn your stripes through your deeds I guess. I don't think anyone goes out of their way to belittle others just because they might be new to posting here. Most posts are generally treated on their merits. That's my belief anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Should pick me as a new moderator, been on Bigfooty the longest without getting a gig (maybe), plus it'd piss the crers right off.

That's just life. Playground rules and all that. You just have to earn your stripes through your deeds I guess. I don't think anyone goes out of their way to belittle others just because they might be new to posting here. Most posts are generally treated on their merits. That's my belief anyway.
OKay, so now we have sorted out the clique issue, what are we going to do about the growing coterie of people supporting TeeKray's appointment? You can't let a coterie get out of control

Dunger just likes to think there's some sort of clique that randomly decided to personally target him because it's a more palatable version of events than what actually happened, which is that posters on the Port board individually considered his recent posting and 95% of them independently came to the conclusion that he's acting like a dickhead.

Last edited:

Fair points, particularly re that some could feel intimidated, I know a couple of posters from the old site who bailed out on BF fairly early in the piece because they couldn't handle some of the responses they received.

Re the existence of a clique, hmmmmm not sure, but I did notice when I first joined that some long term posters could go very close to crossing that fine line of good taste without being censored, while others would cop the right foot up the left ventrical before the ink had dried on the page. :rolleyes:

Maybe it's something to do with earning your spurs. ;)

There isn't a clique. There are however some posters who post more than others and are therefore more recognisable.
Just take Magpiespower for example. Had barely been here 10 minutes and had already gained a cult following because of the general high standard and hilarity of his posts.
Just get in and post whenever you feel like posting in whatever thread you feel like posting in. If people like what you post, great. If they don't, why would you care what a bunch of people you've never met think anyway?

Fair points, particularly re that some could feel intimidated, I know a couple of posters from the old site who bailed out on BF fairly early in the piece because they couldn't handle some of the responses they received.

Re the existence of a clique, hmmmmm not sure, but I did notice when I first joined that some long term posters could go very close to crossing that fine line of good taste without being censored, while others would cop the right foot up the left ventrical before the ink had dried on the page. :rolleyes:

Maybe it's something to do with earning your spurs. ;)

You'll probably find that is because those posters have been around long enough for everyone to know their style and what their intentions are. In day to day interactions, things like body language, inflection in speech, and other subtle cues can change the meaning behind words drastically. Look at how Power One was jumped on for saying what he did - to me, it was intended as a joke, but a lot of people didn't see it that way because it's hard to read things like that, especially from someone who doesn't post much.

The more you post, the more people get to know your style. Just like anything, it takes interaction to build relationships, good or bad.

There isn't a clique. There are however some posters who post more than others and are therefore more recognisable.
Just take Magpiespower for example. Had barely been here 10 minutes and had already gained a cult following because of the general high standard and hilarity of his posts.
Just get in and post whenever you feel like posting in whatever thread you feel like posting in. If people like what you post, great. If they don't, why would you care what a bunch of people you've never met think anyway?
Magpiespower still MIA. :'(

Dunger just likes to think there's some sort of clique that randomly decided to personally target him because it's a more palatable version of events than what actually happened, which is that posters on the Port board individually considered his recent posting and 95% of them independently came to the conclusion that he's acting like a dickhead.

Frame this and hang it in the Portaloo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back