Preview 2023 Goodbye (To 2024) New; Preseason Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Janus is correct. Collingwood went from bottom six, to contender, to premiers, on the back of relatively minor tweaks. One could say, marginal gains.

From where Port is now, it wouldnt take much to have this group contending in a Grand Final. So what is the issue"

"Finals are scary!"
"It's not an easy competition"
"Someone has to lose!"
"We won 13 in a row ... What more do supporters want?"
"This isnt the SANFL"

It doesnt matter what marginal, or large, gains a team makes .... No way in hell can a team lead by that sort of defeatist attitude make, or win, a grand final!

Collingwood won finals in 2018, 2019, 2020 and 2022 prior to breaking through and winning the premiership. 2021 was an outlier, they had otherwise been in the mix, playing in and winning big games prior to going all the way. We have been playing in the big games but we sure as hell haven't been winning them.

Collingwood won finals in 2018, 2019, 2020 and 2022 prior to breaking through and winning the premiership. 2021 was an outlier, they had otherwise been in the mix, playing in and winning big games prior to going all the way. We have been playing in the big games but we sure as hell haven't been winning them.
And rightfully got rid of the person holding them back which paved the way for the premiership.

We had our chance to do the same in 2022 but ****ed the chicken instead.

Pretty funny that they think they are marginal gains away from a premiership.

In reality, the whole organisation requires a cultural and leadership paradigm shift to get anywhere near it.
Marginal gains compound. That's why businesses look for marginal gains as its the most efficient way to make large improvements. If you get 5% from each player, that equates to a large improvement at the end of the year.

They are though.

I like using points scored per inside 50 vs points conceded per opposition inside 50 as a good measure of performance.

Collingwood went the entire year at 1.72 points per inside 50 and conceded 1.46 points per opposition inside 50. A difference of 0.26 points over a +74 differential between the two. In other words, over the course of their premiership run of 26 games, Collingwood were exactly 19.24 points better than the rest of the competition.

Port went at 1.62 points per inside 50 and conceded 1.65 points per opposition 50. A difference of -0.03 points over a +129 differential between the two. We were -3.87 points for the season, or 23.11 points behind Collingwood.

However, if you make a marginal gain of conceding 1.5 points per opposition inside 50 (literally conceding one less goal for every 40 opposition inside 50 entries), and score one more goal for every 60 inside 50s to match Collingwood's scoring output, then you're looking at a scoring differential of 0.22...which when you add it to the inside 50 differential of 129 gives us a score of 28.38 over 25 games.

TL;DR - the marginal difference between Collingwood and Port Adelaide over the 2023 season was scoring an extra 6 points per every 60 inside 50s, and not conceding an extra 6 points per ever 40 opposition inside 50s.

So the main question is - are our recruits good enough to make up this difference? I think they will easily.

Marginal gains compound. That's why businesses look for marginal gains as its the most efficient way to make large improvements. If you get 5% from each player, that equates to a large improvement at the end of the year.
5% improvement for  each player (100% of the team) means 5% of quee betterment to the team overall.
5% for roughly 20% of the team (say 5 players) ! equates to 1% to the team overall.
5% for  one player in the team provides an improvement of 0.4% to the team.

Collingwood shouldn’t have won, as they were gifted Maynard and got to play on their home deck for the GF. Plus the multitude of other biases.

But similar argument for Brisbane I think they’ve been top 4 for 5 years, except one year they finished 6th. Every year they fatten their list, more depth, more class.

We are 3 from 4 Top 4 finishes, with our core list pretty darn young. Still a couple of years away from our list maturing and fattening with depth players.

5% improvement for  each player (100% of the team) means 5% of quee betterment to the team overall.
5% for roughly 20% of the team (say 5 players) ! equates to 1% to the team overall.
5% for  one player in the team provides an improvement of 0.4% to the team.
I'm not an expert, I have read up on this, but I suggest you read up on the law of marginal gains.
What you described here is flat improvement.

The difference between Collingwood and Port Adelaide is their coach is a winner, and looks like being one of the greatest sports thinkers in Australia. He instills confidence in every player on the list. If we had a coach that was even half as good as McRae we could probably make a GF.

Our coach is a drop kick, you wouldn't put him on the till at your local grocery store because you'd be worried he'd f*** it up. It's actually nothing short of incredible that he's been able to hold a near million dollar position as 1 of 18 head coaches at a so called professional sporting club that turns over tens of millions a year for 12 years and counting.

The difference between Collingwood and Port Adelaide is their coach is a winner, and looks like being one of the greatest sports thinkers in Australia. He instills confidence in every player on the list. If we had a coach that was even half as good as McRae we could probably make a GF.
Ken always talks our players down, never heard Mcrae doubt his sides ability vs anyone. Craig Mcrae is my favourite coach in a long time i love his pressers

Sent from my PHN110 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Ken always talks our players down, never heard Mcrae doubt his sides ability vs anyone. Craig Mcrae is my favourite coach in a long time i love his pressers

Sent from my PHN110 using BigFooty.com mobile app
Love him but he makes me so jealous of the Pies. They had the guts to make the call on Bucks and pick up an untested coach and they've got their rewards (with likely more to come). It really is true you get what you deserve.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Love him but he makes me so jealous of the Pies. They had the guts to make the call on Bucks and pick up an untested coach and they've got their rewards (with likely more to come). It really is true you get what you deserve.
They had the guts because Buckley coached them to second last, with each of hia last few years worse than the previous.

While ken is a moderately capable, risk averse coach. He will do what he knows is good enough to stay mid pack, and a lucky year might see top 4. What he won't do is take the risks needed to improve on that 8n case they blow up in his face and they cost him his job.

Is he asking Boak for money?
Greg's not poor. That was his mates trying to get Cricket Oz to make a testimonial dinner/series for him given he never had one.

Might be seeing a bit more of Greg this year.

PROBLEMS AND CONCERNS - POWER 2024

I didn't want to post this so early to our first game but I've been busy.

Before people reply that I only write bad things about the club, I just want to say that I wrote all of the good things about the club this year in a previous post on this thread.

ADMINISTRATION

I am going to start with some low hanging fruit.

David Koch is the worst thing ever to happen to the Port Adelaide Football Club.

Hopefully Tredrea can have a 2004 type of impact on the club.

COACHING

We are going into the 2024 season with Ken Hinkley as our Head Coach and Chad Cornes, Josh Carr, Tyson Goldsack and Matthew Lobbe as his assistants and then a bunch of no names filling out the coaching rosters.

A decade long coach out of ideas. The majority of assistants under his tutelage. Josh Carr a possible shining light. We've been severely outcoached especially in finals and I don't think we are going to get much traction from this area of the club.

I don't see strategy. I don't see tactics. I don't see innovation. I don't see new ideas. I don't see a winning attitude. I don't see confidence in the game plan. I don't see the coach infusing players with belief. I don't see ruthlessness. I don't see players ready for big games. I just don't see it.

All I hear are excuses and crickets.

THE PLAYERS PLAYING FOR THE COACH AND NOT THE JUMPER

I think this is one of the big question marks going into the year, the overall attitude to the year.

Given our recent history, when Kenny Average is not in a contract year, the team seems to play on cruise control so it will be interesting to see if this is what eventuates during the year or the new leadership group demand more from the playing group.

This is pretty critical. What is the attitude and internal fortitude of the playing group. Do we get the fight and hard work of 13 in a row or the malaise of 3 wins and 6 loses and going out in straight sets?

DEVELOPMENT OF THE PLAYERS

It has been noted in all of 2023 that a lot of our tall timber has been developed elsewhere, we have traded in the bulk of it during the Kenny Average era.

With no less than 4 big guys over 195 cm making their way onto the list in Ivan Soldo, Jordon Sweet, Esava Ratugolea and Brandon Zerk-Thatcher in 2024, under Kenny we will have to continually bring in the big guns at an high prices.

So should I be a bit worried about the development of the 2022 draft class of Tom McCallum, Tom Scully and Kyle Marshall?

POOR HEAD COACHING

Playing players with limited talent - Jed McEntee, This is unforgiveable unless you've run out of talented guys. The JedHeads will say that Jed can be a decent player in the 23 but is that really what you want to be aiming for. I would prefer a young player who has a knack for kicking goals and other creative skills. And Jed wasn't even the worse last year, Brynn Teakle was abominable and played 4 games.

When the first ball is bounced, I will be barracking for Jed but I just feel that we should be looking for more talented players for his spot.

Playing injured players - Trent McKenzie, Charlie Dixon. Another big problem and I'm sure Adam Kingsley was rubbing his hands with glee when these two along with Scott Lycett was riding the pine early in the Elimination Final last year.

Playing old players - Trent McKenzie, Charlie Dixon, Travis Boak. We will see how Boak holds up this year. He could be good on the wing. Charlie I am a concerned with. Trent is a useful backup.

Playing gold card players - all the above players. I think we understand that coaches have their favourites but when it comes to the detriment of the team, it is folly. And to continually make the same mistakes shows how incompetent Kenny Average is.

Playing gold card players out of position to keep them in the game - Darcy Byrne-Jones, Travis Boak, Oliver Wines. Wines is back in the centre but the player he is displacing is much better than him. Byrne-Jones seems to get a game based on his overly long contract and he has a touch of the Jeds about him. Wines is going back to his best position. I just hope he is in and under and not on the outside as much.

LACK OF DIVERSITY

It would be nice to see a bit of innovation in the team, team play, strategies and tactics but we keep on playing the same scratched record.

Something as simple as giving Finlayson some time in defence last year just in case we went a tall defender down.

For this year, I know we got Esava for manning the gorilla forwards but it would be nice to see him occasionally play up forward just to see how he goes.

One of the issues I have with Kenny Average is that he doesn't really know when he is on a good wicket either. Take the emergence of Dylan Williams who played really well down back but later in the year was dropped to make way for Burton or whoever it was.

UNKNOWN ASSISTANT COACHING

We might have something in Josh Carr but after that, we have a group of coaches that don't inspire a lot of confidence in their ability.

Jason Williams seems to be a guy who has worked his way up from the bottom so I admire that but after that, I just don't know. Maybe there is a diamond in the rough, hopefully so.

LACK OF ACCOUNTABILITY

This starts at the Chairman, moves down to the coaching staff and into the players and the results.

Lack of accountability with power breeds tyranny and I kinda get the feeling that we have a lot of petty tyrants at our club.

FAILURE AGAINST CONTESTED BALL TEAMS

This is a big one that needs to be addressed.

Last year we lost against contested ball teams. It didn't matter if they were the top of the pops like Collingwood or middle of the pack Crows, there was an air of inevitability that during a very hard fought contest we would eventually say it was too much and pretty much give up. A very concerning trait and a large chink in our armour that will be exploited during the year but especially in finals.

If Wines is back and Horne-Francis continues, we might have a chance but underlying this is the overall coaching and playing philosophy that I hope the new leadership group radically changes and brings some steel, heart and never say die attitude to the group.

UNABLE TO CHANGE GAMEPLAN

I don't want to beat a dead horse but most of this forum know the boring and stale gameplan we've had for a majority of Hinkley's tenure especially going forward.

UNABLE TO GET MATCHUPS RIGHT

I thought last year was not too bad but given the history, it is still an area of concern.

NEGATIVITY

I just don't get how Kenny Average gets away with so much loser talk. It is against all elements of the Port Adelaide Football Club I grew up with. This is one of the continuing major concerns for the club.

CONCLUSION

I wrote about the improvements of the club during the preseason and we will have the collision of the young, playing group which has a fair amount of improvement to go mixed with the poor to average coaching of Kenny Average.

AN OPEN FEW PARAGRAPHS TO CONNOR ROZEE

Hello Connor. I enjoy the way you play the game. Congratulations on becoming the new captain of the Port Adelaide Football Club. You are the captain of an awesome, up and coming list of players and young players with huge potential for multiple flags.

However, the coach is a bit of a loser and it is very hard to win premierships without a very good coach. At this point in time, you don't have that luxury.

If you want to be a premiership captain, you will have to set a winning culture within the team that overrides the loser mentality of the head coach. You will have to do that subtlety. You will have to set the example. You will have to show the other lads the dedication and focus and sacrifice needed to win. You will have to talk about winning and sacrifice. You will have to mention Creed like ideas. You will talk about history but want to create some of your own. You will have to talk about team first. And most importantly, you will have to show the nature of a winning culture by example.

Good luck.

Go the Power!!!

Before people reply that I only write bad things about the club, I just want to say that I wrote all of the good things about the club this year in a previous post on this thread.

ADMINISTRATION

David Koch is the worst thing ever to happen to the Port Adelaide Football Club.

COACHING

We are going into the 2024 season with Ken Hinkley as our Head Coach and Chad Cornes, Josh Carr, Tyson Goldsack and Matthew Lobbe as his assistants and then a bunch of no names filling out the coaching rosters.

A decade long coach out of ideas. The majority of assistants under his tutelage. Josh Carr a possible shining light. We've been severely outcoached especially in finals and I don't think we are going to get much traction from this area of the club.

I don't see strategy. I don't see tactics. I don't see innovation. I don't see new ideas. I don't see a winning attitude. I don't see confidence in the game plan. I don't see the coach infusing players with belief. I don't see ruthlessness. I don't see players ready for big games. I just don't see it.

I think this is one of the big question marks going into the year, the overall attitude to the year.

Given our recent history, when Kenny Average is not in a contract year, the team seems to play on cruise control so it will be interesting to see if this is what eventuates during the year or the new leadership group demand more from the playing group.

This is pretty critical. What is the attitude and internal fortitude of the playing group. Do we get the fight and hard work of 13 in a row or the malaise of 3 wins and 6 loses and going out in straight sets?

It has been noted in all of 2023 that a lot of our tall timber has been developed elsewhere, we have traded in the bulk of it during the Kenny Average era.

With no less than 4 big guys over 195 cm making their way onto the list in Ivan Soldo, Jordon Sweet, Esava Ratugolea and Brandon Zerk-Thatcher in 2024, under Kenny we will have to continually bring in the big guns at an high prices.

So should I be a bit worried about the development of the 2022 draft class of Tom McCallum, Tom Scully and Kyle Marshall?

POOR HEAD COACHING

Playing players with limited talent - Jed McEntee, This is unforgiveable unless you've run out of talented guys. The JedHeads will say that Jed can be a decent player in the 23 but is that really what you want to be aiming for. I would prefer a young player who has a knack for kicking goals and other creative skills. And Jed wasn't even the worse last year, Brynn Teakle was abominable and played 4 games.

When the first ball is bounced, I will be barracking for Jed but I just feel that we should be looking for more talented players for his spot.

Playing injured players - Trent McKenzie, Charlie Dixon. Another big problem and I'm sure Adam Kingsley was rubbing his hands with glee when these two along with Scott Lycett was riding the pine early in the Elimination Final last year.

Playing old players - Trent McKenzie, Charlie Dixon, Travis Boak. We will see how Boak holds up this year. He could be good on the wing. Charlie I am a concerned with. Trent is a useful backup.

Playing gold card players - all the above players. I think we understand that coaches have their favourites but when it comes to the detriment of the team, it is folly. And to continually make the same mistakes shows how incompetent Kenny Average is.

Playing gold card players out of position to keep them in the game - Darcy Byrne-Jones, Travis Boak, Oliver Wines. Wines is back in the centre but the player he is displacing is much better than him. Byrne-Jones seems to get a game based on his overly long contract and he has a touch of the Jeds about him. Wines is going back to his best position. I just hope he is in and under and not on the outside as much.

LACK OF DIVERSITY

It would be nice to see a bit of innovation in the team, team play, strategies and tactics but we keep on playing the same scratched record.

Something as simple as giving Finlayson some time in defence last year just in case we went a tall defender down.

For this year, I know we got Esava for manning the gorilla forwards but it would be nice to see him occasionally play up forward just to see how he goes.

One of the issues I have with Kenny Average is that he doesn't really know when he is on a good wicket either. Take the emergence of Dylan Williams who played really well down back but later in the year was dropped to make way for Burton or whoever it was.

We might have something in Josh Carr but after that, we have a group of coaches that don't inspire a lot of confidence in their ability.

Jason Williams seems to be a guy who has worked his way up from the bottom so I admire that but after that, I just don't know. Maybe there is a diamond in the rough, hopefully so.

LACK OF ACCOUNTABILITY

This starts at the Chairman, moves down to the coaching staff and into the players and the results.

Lack of accountability with power breeds tyranny and I kinda get the feeling that we have a lot of petty tyrants at our club.

Last year we lost against contested ball teams. It didn't matter if they were the top of the pops like Collingwood or middle of the pack Crows, there was an air of inevitability that during a very hard fought contest we would eventually say it was too much and pretty much give up. A very concerning trait and a large chink in our armour that will be exploited during the year but especially in finals.

If Wines is back and Horne-Francis continues, we might have a chance but underlying this is the overall coaching and playing philosophy that I hope the new leadership group radically changes and brings some steel, heart and never say die attitude to the group.

I don't want to beat a dead horse but most of this forum know the boring and stale gameplan we've had for a majority of Hinkley's tenure especially going forward.

I thought last year was not too bad but given the history, it is still an area of concern.

NEGATIVITY

I just don't get how Kenny Average gets away with so much loser talk. It is against all elements of the Port Adelaide Football Club I grew up with. This is one of the continuing major concerns for the club.

CONCLUSION

I wrote about the improvements of the club during the preseason and we will have the collision of the young, playing group which has a fair amount of improvement to go mixed with the poor to average coaching of Kenny Average.

Hello Connor. I enjoy the way you play the game. Congratulations on becoming the new captain of the Port Adelaide Football Club. You are the captain of an awesome, up and coming list of players and young players with huge potential for multiple flags.

However, the coach is a bit of a loser and it is very hard to win premierships without a very good coach. At this point in time, you don't have that luxury.

If you want to be a premiership captain, you will have to set a winning culture within the team that overrides the loser mentality of the head coach. You will have to do that subtlety. You will have to set the example. You will have to show the other lads the dedication and focus and sacrifice needed to win. You will have to talk about winning and sacrifice. You will have to mention Creed like ideas. You will talk about history but want to create some of your own. You will have to talk about team first. And most importantly, you will have to show the nature of a winning culture by example.

Good luck.

Go the Power!!!
Good read.

ADMINISTRATION

COACHING

POOR HEAD COACHING

LACK OF DIVERSITY

LACK OF ACCOUNTABILITY

NEGATIVITY

CONCLUSION

Good luck.

Go the Power!!!
There's lots of issues at this club.

The coaching department hires from within and gains no valuable industry IP since its all about keeping the club stable. The club won't take the financial and reputational risk to sack Ken. Only club risk punt in the last decade has arguably been the China game.

I don't think it's even worthwhile stacking onto a player like McEntee. He ain't great but it's a top down club issue which filters down to the playing group.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back