Official Club Stuff 2023 AGM - held on Friday 9th Feb 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not up with all of these types of things, I just enjoy watching and analysing footy but you would think that once the AFL Reserves competition is up and running that the SANFL and other leagues around Australia are even more doomed than they are at the moment.
100% and how is that good for the local kids.

Not to mention how it further devalues our SANFL premierships.

With respect I disagree.

There is absolutely no reason why Port and the Crows can't have zones in the way the other 8 SANFL teams do now.
There can be a cap placed on the funds spent within those zones.
Players from those zones could play in SANFL Juniors and in U16 and U18 competitions for these clubs.

Those players would then head into the AFL under the current system, but obviously we would have helped contribute to players in zones we manage.

Would it be good for SA football - of course.
Would it be good for the kids themselves - of course.
Could we get some sort of advantage from it - of course.

Would the AFL/VFL allow us such an advantage - of course not.

Imagine our AFL squad intermixed with zone players in both a SANFL and a SANFL reserves side, with real pressure on the AFL squad members to earn their position in the SANFL league side and not fall back into the SANFL reserves side.

It is all 100% doable, but there are a tonne of s**t castles to drive through to make it happen.
It would need true generational change, but it's not impossible.
I'm very keen to see the end of our Sanfl participation. It is an unecessarily hostile environment which inhibits player development. Can't wait until our players are in a National reserves competition & I'm happy to see our reserves wear our Afl jumper most of the time. As long as we get to wear our PB jumper at the Anzac game (first priority for me to honour our players who fought) & home SD (less important to me) so the jumper does not die I will be a happy camper. And I'm a Magpie supporter from way back & my love of the Magpies will never die, it's in my blood.

Can we stop buying into their pathetic excuse making?

May and Lever are 190cm and 194cm respectively which is on aggregate shorter than McKenzie and Aliir at 191cm and 196cm respectively.

There is nothing wrong with key defenders being a little shorter. It's hard to find big athletic beasts like Aliir, Moore, Andrews, etc. Most really tall defenders are useless logs like Howard that just cost you goals through being unco.

The only reason the club have suddenly jumped on this excuse after 11 years is because it was the media's narrative about why we would fail in 2023. The actual reason why we failed is the dickhead in the coaches box and all of his mediocre enablers.
It's not an excuse to me, it's of their own making. I have always believed a premiership team starts from a top CB & you build from that position. Obviously the midfield is also crucial but I think the importance of the CB position is underrated.

If we’re not trying to have our own board what does it matter owing the AFL money?
Because the Afl bang on about it, use it as a negative lever against us (as do the most financial Afl clubs) & it's bad PR for our club. We need to be as dependant on the Afl financially as say Richmond, Melbourne or Carlton are imo.

Because the Afl bang on about it, use it as a negative lever against us (as do the most financial Afl clubs) & it's bad PR for our club. We need to be as dependant on the Afl financially as say Richmond, Melbourne or Carlton are imo.
What’s the lever they use?
Eg are we to get a better fixture? Better umpiring?

I'm not up with all of these types of things, I just enjoy watching and analysing footy but you would think that once the AFL Reserves competition is up and running that the SANFL and other leagues around Australia are even more doomed than they are at the moment.

The SANFL is screwed. The WAFL less so, as the WAFC owns the WA licences still.

It will be interesting to see what happens to the non-AFL VFL clubs and those in NSW/ACT/QLD. A NEAFL-lite? whilst the VFL will need to recreate themselves again.

Went very hard litigating that point after the thing had ended.

“If you remove the coach you aren’t just removing the coach, you’re resetting the whole program, you’ll lose some players, others won’t come if they don’t know who the coach is. There’s not one thing that can guarantee you a premiership”
This is a big load of s**t that says if I'm playing Roulette, I'm only putting down $2.50 a shot, on red or black, because I don't want to take too much of a risk.

Lay it all down, chuck it all on a number and take a *in risk.

The whole just 'work hardery for longery' mentality permeates through the entire club. Imagine the concept of trying something different or working smarter. FFS. It's not rocket science. Coach spends a historically long period in charge, results are consistent and no success is obtained. There's no real surprise there. I guess every other club that's ever existed just hadn't found the secret of stability to success that we appear to have done.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm very keen to see the end of our Sanfl participation. It is an unecessarily hostile environment which inhibits player development. Can't wait until our players are in a National reserves competition & I'm happy to see our reserves wear our Afl jumper most of the time. As long as we get to wear our PB jumper at the Anzac game (first priority for me to honour our players who fought) & home SD (less important to me) so the jumper does not die I will be a happy camper. And I'm a Magpie supporter from way back & my love of the Magpies will never die, it's in my blood.
I'm obviously looking at this from a very idealistic perspective.
Our opinions on most things are not all that different, in particular ANZAC Day.

I just wish there were better pathways for kids in our old zones, but if your knowledge is much better than mine and the ground is that salted, then I accept your call.

I was really impressed with Connor at the AGM. A very calm but confident manner & he emphasised that he wants to win a flag. That may sound an obvious aim but at PA in recent years no player has been willing to own that as a priority. It was clearly a message to the members & I felt he understood our frustration. He talked about the different qualities of the leadership group & touched on his leadership style. It was a no BS approach which I appreciated & I believed every word he said (a rarity for me these days). I feel very confident that Connor & Zac are the right leaders to take the club to great success. I'm also really happy with the rest of the leadership group. We finally have a group that lead by example. So that was the biggest positive from the night for me & obviously the election of Treds who spoke well & made it clear his priority was to help restore the clubs winning ethos & get that elusive flag. Finally some winner talk instead of the constant negative BS such as 'finals are scary' & non-stop 'learnings' (this word should be banned from the English language). And there's no doubt we have a badly fractured membership base but the minority white noise narrative has been blown out of the water. We are a sizeable proportion of the supporter base and the board etc now know this. This division is the clubs making for lacking the courage to make difficult decisions & prioritise stability over ultimate success. The reason PA was so successful was because we were always prepared to pull the trigger if something wasn't working, there was never a lack of courage.
That is great to read. Less than 6 months ago I was at a function and Connor Rozee said he had minimal interest in football, he didn’t watch other games and he only watched Port related highlights/vision he was forced to by the coaching staff. Let’s hope the extra responsibility of being Captain takes his game to another level and helps drive the standards to a long overdue Premiership.

What you can say is we have zero bad debt. The 3.8 mill is a bank loan with drawdown. It's never gonna be paid off. It just gets used and fluctuates. Its basically just funds we can draw on for projects like redevelopments etc. if we want to. Obviously you don't want it to get out of control, but 3.8 is totally acceptable vs. our revenue as per what bomber said.

Interesting learning i had over the weekend

A mate of mine that works at a Victorian club mentioned that his club's community football arm has hundreds of memberships in its name.

It has used said memberships for voting board positions in the past. He suggested with a huge increase in the port board vote he wouldnt be surprised if similar happened

A mate of mine that works at a Victorian club mentioned that his club's community football arm has hundreds of memberships in its name.

It has used said memberships for voting board positions in the past. He suggested with a huge increase in the port board vote he wouldnt be surprised if similar happened

Yep, seems to be all coincidental but its all now irrelevant as we got our man over the line. It truly felt like Tredders should have at least got 75% or greater of the total vote. For it to be so close, I dare say Kochie used what ever tricks he could muster to get Abba over the line.

On another note, we now have people saying the Abba should be given the spare spot on the board too because the vote was so close. However, there is no way Kochie would allow that to happen as it would have exposed his plan to eject Tredders from the ballot. Would Kochie put Tredders on the board if Abba won the vote if panned out the other way?

I've got nothing against Abba but it was plain as day that he was a "yes man" Kochie candidate.

A huge chunk of Collingwood members can't vote. Edit - that was the case until the 2022 changes/reforms. See link below.

Pretty sure you have to be a social club member as well as a season ticket type member to vote. There might be another category of membership that gets the vote.

Because Collingwood are a lot more fictionalised that other clubs around the country, McGuire always twisted arms so that if one board position was open, there was only one nominee, or if there were two, only two nominees, which meant no election happened.

So he was voted on in 1998 and there was no election until after he stood down in 2021.

In the November 2022 election, 11 people nominated because McGuire couldn't twist their arms any more. Also because he got the arse, Collingwood opened up who was eligible to vote.

From Collingwood's 2022 election announcement.

The election will be decided by the vote of eligible Members.

A new definition for an Ordinary Member was recently outlined in a communication to Members, enabling the number of eligible voting Members to meaningfully increase to ensure more Collingwood Members can vote at annual elections.

Voting Members are Life Members and those who hold a Legends Membership or Social Club Membership. Members with access to all home games (AFL or AFLW or Netball) are also now eligible to vote along with those who have purchased a Social Club Membership as an add-on to any Club, AFL Club Support or MCC Club Insider Membership. Voting Members must be over 18 years of age.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back