Official Club Stuff 2023 AGM - held on Friday 9th Feb 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Some notes I took from the AGM on the shitty 3 pages of financials they hand out. A star means from what I wrote down, a non star line is either from a bit of digging around or just my comment.

* Warren has already been appointed to Football Strategic Committee and Aber to the Facilities Development Committee

* Profit was achieved with staff levels greater than before Covid. The club now employs 300 people, which includes the 75 or so footballers.

* Debt down to $3.8mil from a Covid peak of $12.3mil and expect to clear it by end of 2025, whilst still investing in stage 4 development and other investments. No debt to SANFL or AFL.

* Club is looking at developing future revenue streams that are totally independent of football.

* MG Centre northern end they are looking at building a medical facility to rent out to medical practitioners, down the track.
It is where the new players and staff car park is.

* Net Assets in 2023 are $32.7m and are expect that to grow to $80m by 2026.

Looking at the Wookies tables on the footy industry board the clubs who have an $80+m net asset position at the end of 2023, in order, are WCE, Hawthorn, and Western Bulldogs. There are 3 around the $60m mark and I reckon Sydney will be about $65-$70m when their 2023 accounts are available, as they got a big grant in 2023 to go with a huge grant they also got in 2022.

*Core football business revenue income was $35.5m and total revenue was $64.63m.
I looked up the 2019 financials and total revenue was $58.3m and 2018 it was $59.0m

* Core business revenue was up $2.8m on 2022 and $7.2m on 2021.

*Membership and ticketing up $1.3m to $16.5m
*Commercial partnerships.. up $1.7m to $15.7m
*Retail Merchandise .......... up $0.6m to $2.65m Koch said this is top 4, but I reckon its top 4 when you take out the premiership side.
There is another $700k that meets the definition of core business revenue that Koch did put up on his slide.

*AFL Revenue ................. up $3.0m to $19.25m

That means all other revenues ie The Precinct and POW, grants to run the community programs, donations, sale of any assets is;
$64.63m - $35.5m - $19.25m = $9.88m . Most of that would be The Precinct and POW as in 2022 Venues revenue was $5.9m.

* 64,091 members up 9.2% in 2023. So far 50,400 members which is up 3.4% year to date on last year.

* Membership revenue already $100,000 up on 2022 total membership revenue.

* Membership revenue of $11.75mil as of 9th February up by $1mil on same time for 2023 membership.

* First time Port has sold over 100,000 daily tickets ie on internet and at gate.

Looked up our total home attendance, it was from 455,807 from 12 games for an average of 37,984. For comparison, 2022 average was 29.7k, pre covid, 2019 was 33.9k, 2018 average was 38.2k, 2017 was 38.1k and 2016 was 39.3k.

The 100,000+ would have included some double counting of tickets purchased for the double header in Gather Round of Ess v Melb 33.8k and and Port v WB 45.1k. I went to both games and neither of these size crowds truly reflected the number of people watching both games.

Even if the 100,000+ was really 90,000 that's great for the club as the average daily ticket when you add in the more expensive seats over a general admin priced ticket, but account for kids, would be about $40, take off about $5 for ticketing fees and that means that revenue stream easily covers the approx $100,000 game day costs the SMA charge us. Might be a bit more these days as electricity prices and wages have gone up a decent amount over the last few years.

* More big announcement of major partners soon. Not sure if i wrote that down right. It might have been more big announcements from our major partners.

* AFL Reserves we will wear the PB guernsey at home.

* Move to AFL Reserves comp is seen as an important equalisation step by Port, the crows and the 2 WA clubs and also for when Tassie team comes in.

* Koch talked about the AFL endorsing Alberton oval to be a boutique stadium for AFLW and AFL reserves with broadcast quality lights.

I guess that's what happens when the AFL chip in $5mil, like they have at Princess Park and other venues.

* Stage 4 development of the Port Adelaide Bowling Club, who are lock step in agreement with the club, sees them get a new bowling club, indoor greens, new club rooms for their use and new social facilities.

* Koch said the club hopes to start stage 4 in 18 months time.

As I wrote elsewhere I reckon Port will get access to their facilities when needed, and have control of areas in the new building.

So how are we going to increase Net Assets by about $47m in 3 years?? That suggests stage 4 will be a $35m to $40m project.

From a cut and paste of my post in the Alberton Oval Redevelopment thread. So where is the money coming from?

I asked Kevin Osborn about the financing for it after the AGM ended, and said is that Bequest program the club has set up over 20 years ago starting to provide the funding for it, as people are dying and leaving assets and $$$ to the club?? He said that is part of it, but some of the expected profits we generate over next 3 years as well as government funding, maybe a bit of debt, will fund that.

I was surprised by the government funding call and asked if they are confident that the feds will still give handouts to sporting clubs after the Morrison government's dodgy community grants program and he said yes and he said he expected state and local government funding as well.

Basically AFLW -------> lever to government community grants,
Bowling Club ----------> lever to different government community grants

Rather than retype it in here Port2Power and I had a discussion about the land next to the bowling club the club has purchased, he said Koch said it sits in a trust, I made some comments that the trust probably holds the assets and cash donated via the Bequest program the club has been running for around 20 years. See page 59 of the Alberton Oval Redevelopment thread.

Last edited:
I keep hearing the club is deep in plans and may have already purchased the land on Port Rd to build something like a health hub/retail facility.

Any mention of that, I'd assume that's part of the RussellEbertHandball dot point about revenue streams outside of football.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

I'm very keen to see the end of our Sanfl participation. It is an unecessarily hostile environment which inhibits player development. Can't wait until our players are in a National reserves competition & I'm happy to see our reserves wear our Afl jumper most of the time. As long as we get to wear our PB jumper at the Anzac game (first priority for me to honour our players who fought) & home SD (less important to me) so the jumper does not die I will be a happy camper. And I'm a Magpie supporter from way back & my love of the Magpies will never die, it's in my blood.
Almost loved your post! I also go way back as far as being a Magpie supporter but I would prefer the PB’s getting a lot more concerted run as the guernsey of choice for both the Power 1’s & the 2’s when this National reserves competition is set in place. Yes, I know a bit of pipe dream but really it shouldn’t be with the right leadership

Last edited:

Some notes I took from the AGM on the shitty 3 pages of financials they hand out. A star means from what I wrote down, a non star line is either from a bit of digging around or just my comment.

* Warren has already been appointed to Football Strategic Committee and Aber to the Facilities Development Committee

* Profit was achieved with staff levels greater than before Covid. The club now employs 300 people, which includes the 75 or so footballers.

* Debt down to $3.8mil from a Covid peak of $12.3mil and expect to clear it by end of 2025, whilst still investing in stage 4 development and other investments. No debt to SANFL or AFL.

* Club is looking at developing future revenue streams that are totally independent of football.

* MG Centre northern end they are looking at building a medical facility to rent out to medical practitioners, down the track.

Looking at the Wookies tables on the footy industry board the clubs who have an $80+m net asset position at the end of 2023, in order, are WCE, Hawthorn, and Western Bulldogs. There are 3 around the $60m mark and I reckon Sydney will be about $65-$70m when their 2023 accounts are available, as they got a big grant in 2023 to go with a huge grant they also got in 2022.

*Core football business revenue income was $35.5m and total revenue was $64.63m.
I looked up the 2019 financials and total revenue was $58.3m and 2018 it was $59.0m

*Retail Merchandise .......... up $0.6m to $2.65m Koch said this is top 4, but I reckon its top 4 when you take out the premiership side.
There is another $700k that meets the definition of core business revenue that Koch did put up on his slide.

That means all other revenues ie The Precinct and POW, grants to run the community programs, donations, sale of any assets is;
$64.63m - $35.5m - $19.25m = $9.88m . Most of that would be The Precinct and POW as in 2022 Venues revenue was $5.9m.

* 64,091 members up 9.2% in 2023. So far 50,400 members which is up 3.4% year to date on last year.

* Membership revenue of $11.75mil as of 9th February up by $1mil on same time for 2023 membership.

* First time Port has sold over 100,000 daily tickets ie on internet and at gate.

Looked up our total home attendance, it was from 455,807 from 12 games for an average of 37,984. For comparison, 2022 average was 29.7k, pre covid, 2019 was 33.9k, 2018 average was 38.2k, 2017 was 38.1k and 2016 was 39.3k.

The 100,000+ would have included some double counting of tickets purchased for the double header in Gather Round of Ess v Melb 33.8k and and Port v WB 45.1k. I went to both games and neither of these size crowds truly reflected the number of people watching both games.

Even if the 100,000+ was really 90,000 that's great for the club as the average daily ticket when you add in the more expensive seats over a general admin priced ticket, but account for kids, would be about $40, take off about $5 for ticketing fees and that means that revenue stream easily covers the approx $100,000 game day costs the SMA charge us. Might be a bit more these days as electricity prices and wages have gone up a decent amount over the last few years.

* More big announcement of major partners soon. Not sure if i wrote that down right. It might have been more big announcements from our major partners.

* Move to AFL Reserves comp is seen as an important equalisation step by Port, the crows and the 2 WA clubs and also for when Tassie team comes in.

* Koch talked about the AFL endorsing Alberton oval to be a boutique stadium for AFLW and AFL reserves with broadcast quality lights.

I guess that's what happens when the AFL chip in $5mil, like they have at Princess Park and other venues.

* Stage 4 development of the Port Adelaide Bowling Club, who are lock step in agreement with the club, sees them get a new bowling club, indoor greens, new club rooms for their use and new social facilities.

As I wrote elsewhere I reckon Port will get access to their facilities when needed, and have control of areas in the new building.

So how are we going to increase Net Assets by about $47m in 3 years?? That suggests stage 4 will be a $35m to $40m project.

From a cut and paste of my post in the Alberton Oval Redevelopment thread. So where is the money coming from?

I asked Kevin Osborn about the financing for it after the AGM ended, and said is that Bequest program the club has set up over 20 years ago starting to provide the funding for it, as people are dying and leaving assets and $$$ to the club?? He said that is part of it, but some of the expected profits we generate over next 3 years as well as government funding, maybe a bit of debt, will fund that.

I was surprised by the government funding call and asked if they are confident that the feds will still give handouts to sporting clubs after the Morrison government's dodgy community grants program and he said yes and he said he expected state and local government funding as well.

Rather than retype it in here Port2Power and I had a discussion about the land next to the bowling club the club has purchased, he said Koch said it sits in a trust, I made some comments that the trust probably holds the assets and cash donated via the Bequest program the club has been running for around 20 years. See page 59 of the Alberton Oval Redevelopment thread.
That was a very interesting reading. Have a great day.

I mean you probably have to give credit where credit is due. From a non football operations side of things Koch and this board have done a pretty good job from that side of things. Whilst they do take undue and unearned credit for what the previous regime set in motion, they have set up the club to be financially "stable" and even flourish. For that I acknowledge. There have been some missteps along the way, the AFLW funding gravy train came 5 years too late, but the focus at that time was on the very bold China Strategy. Some good people have also been lost through poor leadership and internal governance, particularly by the CEO, but all in all we are miles in front of where we were a decade ago.

But our core business, football and winning premierships is where this board has failed badly. The "stability" mantra has seen the continual backing of a lame duck coach. This is the current regimes utter non fulfillment. It is time for a fresh board, to continue the sound financial platform, but to become ruthless in the quest for multiple premierships. That is the core business and that is what will make us not just stable, but a powerhouse.

It's not an excuse to me, it's of their own making. I have always believed a premiership team starts from a top CB & you build from that position. Obviously the midfield is also crucial but I think the importance of the CB position is underrated.

Yep. An aversion to valuing genuinely tall talent (either countering it, or deploying our own) has been a tactical flaw since he plonked here. And who can forget the smash hits?:

• Roughead kicks 6 in a Prelim
• Alex Keath has a Showdown Medal
• Phil Davis’ only 3 Brownlow Vote game happened here, to us
• Ben Brown’s record bag of 10
• Jeremy McGovern takes 15 marks in an Elimination Final
• Taylor Walker now has a Showdown Medal

The undersized, agile platoon defence shtick works a treat when the midfield is ascendant and the likes of Jake Neade, Sam Gray and Jed McEntee are running riot but.

But our core business, football and winning premierships is where this board has failed badly. The "stability" mantra has seen the continual backing of a lame duck coach. This is the current regimes utter non fulfillment. It is time for a fresh board, to continue the sound financial platform, but to become ruthless in the quest for multiple premierships. That is the core business and that is what will make us not just stable, but a powerhouse.
This is the bit that drives me the most nuts, from an off-field perspective. Premiership success is worth millions. From immediate prize money, increased merchandising, selling more memberships the next 2 - 3 years (with being able to charge more), more and increased sponsorships. If we'd won the flag in 2020 when everything was handed to Hinkley on a platter and he s**t the bed again, we'd have made enough from that to now be debt free. s**t, even the HOPE of premierships by having not renewed him last year and we'd be looking at LEAST $500k ahead next AGM from where we will be.

The belief that financial stability and coaching staff (well mainly Hinkley as plenty of others turned over) stability are inextricably linked, means Koch and co. get a pass, but not anymore than that, for club finances.

I mean you probably have to give credit where credit is due. From a non football operations side of things Koch and this board have done a pretty good job from that side of things. Whilst they do take undue and unearned credit for what the previous regime set in motion, they have set up the club to be financially "stable" and even flourish. For that I acknowledge. There have been some missteps along the way, the AFLW funding gravy train came 5 years too late, but the focus at that time was on the very bold China Strategy. Some good people have also been lost through poor leadership and internal governance, particularly by the CEO, but all in all we are miles in front of where we were a decade ago.

How much of the dislike for Koch goes away once Ken goes. I think a fair bit - Koch himself is being maligned by keeping Ken here.

How much of the dislike for Koch goes away once Ken goes. I think a fair bit - Koch himself is being maligned by keeping Ken here.

Idk, he’s said and done some pretty dumb things in isolation,

• the Farris Bros goalsquare jamboree
• the forced Rob Chapman hug
• “10 year coach”
• “I want the Crows to do well when they’re not playing Port”
• “we’re a little club”
• “I have a contract that says the Suns can’t wear red”
• co-captains
• “20 year coach”
• “he’s the most successful coach in our AFL history”
• “learn about the club”
• “he has a podcast to promote”
• “we went out in straight sets in 02/03”
• “I look at the data”
• “we won 13 in a row!”
• “this is the first time we’ve had two legends go head to head”

This one is a beauty. I don't know if Koch has a really poor memory, or just has no depth to his knowledge base but;

He orchestrated Gavin Wanganeen to run against incumbent George Fiacchi in the Jan/Feb 2019 election.

Nah, a lot more than that. He has become a runaway truck on his own ego-driven agenda. While a lot has been done under his watch, a lot has been missed. We have lost some good club-people because of him, and the football side has lagged behind.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

• “10 year coach”
• “we’re a little club”
• co-captains
• “20 year coach”
• “learn about the club”
• “I look at the data”
• “we won 13 in a row!”

and that was just a Tuesday!

When I posted the notes I took from the AGM I wrote this

That's based on what The_Wookie has put into his fiancials spreadsheet on the footy industry board. I put in Port's info from Koch's slide into the spreadsheet below.

There is usually a big kick in the premiership year for increase in merchandise sales and then another kicker after 31st October into the following year.

Below I have put in highlighted in yellow the premiership year and browny/orange the following year. You can see WCE had a decent kick in the financial year after the flag, as not only clothing type items would have been sold in huge quantities, but those premiership memorabilia items especially signed guernseys framed up, picture of the MCG and scores along with the other stuff.

Memorabilia, the clubs don't get gross revenue shown in their books, but the royalty flow as usually the AFL set this all up with a company specialising in memorabilia and you might order it thru the club.

So there are probably a lot of net royalty / licensing fees amounts rather than all the gross amounts. In light blue I have highlighted who sold more than Port's 2023 sales of $2.65m in a non premiership or follow up year.

The new retail store opened mid 2022, and Port taking over the on-line store some time in 2023 has no doubt been a big reason why sales have increased so much the last couple of years.

2021 was Essendon's 150th year and why they got a big surge over 2 years.

1707899720865.png

This story from the Age in late November shows how much money is being sold from Collingwood premiership memorabilia. But the story explains that Collingwood is getting a net royalty figure and not the gross amount of $11.5m

A full month before Christmas, Collingwood have already broken the AFL record for merchandise sales, with post-premiership merchandise reaching $11.5 million in retail sales. Since the Magpies celebrated a thrilling grand final win over the Brisbane Lions, fans have splurged on everything from premiership guernseys, caps, coffee table books and can coolers, to Collingwood premiership meat cleavers and cuff links.

But while the Collingwood premiership has surpassed Melbourne and Richmond’s drought-breaking flags of 2021 and 2017 for club gear – those clubs were the previous highest premiers for retail merchandise sales – the club is not pocketing anywhere near the bulk of those sales.

In a breakdown of where the premiership merchandise revenue goes, this masthead can reveal that Collingwood receive 15 per cent of the merchandise sales, while the AFL takes 12.5 per cent. ( Playbill 15% and cost of manufacturing 57.5%)

In dollar terms, to date, the premiers have reaped approximately $1.73 million, sharing the same amount with Playbill, the national arts program and merchandise company that runs the process of selling official Collingwood gear, splitting the returns equally.

For Collingwood, though, that amount is really a net figure because they have outsourced the costs of selling the gear to Playbill, which also has deals with Hawthorn, Sydney and several NRL teams including the Melbourne Storm.

Collingwood’s 23 premiership players also receive a return in signed premiership gear – such as the 2000 framed jumpers that the club is selling via memorabilia company SE Products. According to the company, the jumpers alone should net the players and senior coach Craig McRae $35,000-$40,000 each over time.

The players are only paid for the sales of merchandise/memorabilia if they have signed or contributed personally – such as allowing use of their image – to an item.

Under the terms of their AFL agreement, the players receive two-thirds of the 18 per cent that goes to the club after costs and the distributor’s take are subtracted. Players do not benefit from retail merchandise sales of generic club products.

The Collingwood premiership players had a signing session, which started at 9am on the Thursday after the grand final and stretched until after 2pm. The Magpies have 2000 premiership jumpers signed by the whole grand final team and senior coach selling for slightly below $2500; the players and McRae automatically get $20,000 simply for signing and then two-thirds of the AFL’s 18 per cent share in the royalties.

It is important to separate memorabilia – such as that signed premiership team jumper and the individual player items – from merchandise sales. Memorabilia benefits the relevant players more than the club.

“Roughly speaking, most AFL clubs can make 25 per cent from those sales,” said Davies of club memorabilia.

The Magpies sold $1.8 million in online retail sales of merchandise in the 48 hours immediately after the grand final, compared to Geelong’s $600,000 in the corresponding period after their 2022 premiership, according to the AFL.

They sold $612,000 directly at the family day at their club base attended by tens of thousands on the day after the grand final – almost five times Geelong’s ($131k) family day sales in 2022.

Last edited:
When I posted the notes I took from the AGM I wrote this

That's based on what The_Wookie has put into his fiancials spreadsheet on the footy industry board. I put in Port's info from Koch's slide into the spreadsheet below.

There is usually a big kick in the premiership year for increase in merchandise sales and then another kicker after 31st October into the following year.

Below I have put in highlighted in yellow the premiership year and browny/orange the following year. You can see WCE had in the financial year after the flag, as not only clothing type items would have been sold in huge quantities but those premiership memorabilia items especially signed guernseys framed up, picture of the MCG and scores with other stuff.

Memorabillia the clubs don't get gross revenue shown in their books but the royalty flow as usually the AFL set this all up with a company specialising in memorabilia and you might order it thru the club.

So there are probably a lot of net royalty / licensing fees amounts rather than all the gross amounts. In light blue I have highlighted who sold more than Port's 2023 sales of $2.65m in a non premiership or follow up year.

The new retail store opened mid 2022, and Port taking over the on-line store some time in 2023 has no doubt been a big reason why sales have increased so much the last couple of years.

2021 was Essendon's 150th year and why they got a big surge over 2 years.

View attachment 1905269

This story from the Age in late November shows how much money is being sold from Collingwood premiership memorabillia. But the story explains that Collingwood is getting a net royalty figure and not the gross amount of $11.5m

A full month before Christmas, Collingwood have already broken the AFL record for merchandise sales, with post-premiership merchandise reaching $11.5 million in retail sales. Since the Magpies celebrated a thrilling grand final win over the Brisbane Lions, fans have splurged on everything from premiership guernseys, caps, coffee table books and can coolers, to Collingwood premiership meat cleavers and cuff links.

But while the Collingwood premiership has surpassed Melbourne and Richmond’s drought-breaking flags of 2021 and 2017 for club gear – those clubs were the previous highest premiers for retail merchandise sales – the club is not pocketing anywhere near the bulk of those sales.

In a breakdown of where the premiership merchandise revenue goes, this masthead can reveal that Collingwood receive 15 per cent of the merchandise sales, while the AFL takes 12.5 per cent.

In dollar terms, to date, the premiers have reaped approximately $1.73 million, sharing the same amount with Playbill, the national arts program and merchandise company that runs the process of selling official Collingwood gear, splitting the returns equally.

For Collingwood, though, that amount is really a net figure because they have outsourced the costs of selling the gear to Playbill, which also has deals with Hawthorn, Sydney and several NRL teams including the Melbourne Storm.

Collingwood’s 23 premiership players also receive a return in signed premiership gear – such as the 2000 framed jumpers that the club is selling via memorabilia company SE Products. According to the company, the jumpers alone should net the players and senior coach Craig McRae $35,000-$40,000 each over time.

The players are only paid for the sales of merchandise/memorabilia if they have signed or contributed personally – such as allowing use of their image – to an item.

Under the terms of their AFL agreement, the players receive two-thirds of the 18 per cent that goes to the club after costs and the distributor’s take are subtracted. Players do not benefit from retail merchandise sales of generic club products.

The Collingwood premiership players had a signing session, which started at 9am on the Thursday after the grand final and stretched until after 2pm. The Magpies have 2000 premiership jumpers signed by the whole grand final team and senior coach selling for slightly below $2500; the players and McRae automatically get $20,000 simply for signing and then two-thirds of the AFL’s 18 per cent share in the royalties.

It is important to separate memorabilia – such as that signed premiership team jumper and the individual player items – from merchandise sales. Memorabilia benefits the relevant players more than the club.

“Roughly speaking, most AFL clubs can make 25 per cent from those sales,” said Davies of club memorabilia.

The Magpies sold $1.8 million in online retail sales of merchandise in the 48 hours immediately after the grand final, compared to Geelong’s $600,000 in the corresponding period after their 2022 premiership, according to the AFL.

They sold $612,000 directly at the family day at their club base attended by tens of thousands on the day after the grand final – almost five times Geelong’s ($131k) family day sales in 2022.

Prison bars baby

• “10 year coach”
• “we’re a little club”
• co-captains
• “20 year coach”
• “learn about the club”
• “I look at the data”
• “we won 13 in a row!”

That is 15 nails driven into the Koch Coffin!

Coffin Dancing GIF

It’s irreversible for me.

Speaking to someone who went to the AGM they did want to ask about the Horse/Greyhound syndicates but decided not to in that forum. I don't think he was going to ask in a vicious way but just out of curiosity on whether The Coach, Football Manager or former/current players actually need to speak to anyone at the club first or seek any type of clarity that what they are doing is all above board under the good governance the club preach.

He did speak to a club employee privately about it as he was concerned about potential conflict of interests but the employee just said he wasn't aware of any syndicates of this nature. I guess that just means the club has no issue with it.

Speaking to someone who went to the AGM they did want to ask about the Horse/Greyhound syndicates but decided not to in that forum. I don't think he was going to ask in a vicious way but just out of curiosity on whether The Coach, Football Manager or former/current players actually need to speak to anyone at the club first or seek any type of clarity that what they are doing is all above board under the good governance the club preach.

He did speak to a club employee privately about it as he was concerned about potential conflict of interests but the employee just said he wasn't aware of any syndicates of this nature. I guess that just means the club has no issue with it.

The person that "wasn't aware of any syndicates of this nature" must really have their ear to the ground.

I mean, it's only plastered all over the internet.
Capture.PNG

I was really impressed with Connor at the AGM. A very calm but confident manner & he emphasised that he wants to win a flag. That may sound an obvious aim but at PA in recent years no player has been willing to own that as a priority. It was clearly a message to the members & I felt he understood our frustration. He talked about the different qualities of the leadership group & touched on his leadership style. It was a no BS approach which I appreciated & I believed every word he said (a rarity for me these days). I feel very confident that Connor & Zac are the right leaders to take the club to great success. I'm also really happy with the rest of the leadership group. We finally have a group that lead by example. So that was the biggest positive from the night for me & obviously the election of Treds who spoke well & made it clear his priority was to help restore the clubs winning ethos & get that elusive flag. Finally some winner talk instead of the constant negative BS such as 'finals are scary' & non-stop 'learnings' (this word should be banned from the English language). And there's no doubt we have a badly fractured membership base but the minority white noise narrative has been blown out of the water. We are a sizeable proportion of the supporter base and the board etc now know this. This division is the clubs making for lacking the courage to make difficult decisions & prioritise stability over ultimate success. The reason PA was so successful was because we were always prepared to pull the trigger if something wasn't working, there was never a lack of courage.

Well said
... and you can take a breath now !

Interesting learning i had over the weekend

A mate of mine that works at a Victorian club mentioned that his club's community football arm has hundreds of memberships in its name.

It has used said memberships for voting board positions in the past. He suggested with a huge increase in the port board vote he wouldnt be surprised if similar happened

Worth a question to Kock at the next AGM

I keep hearing the club is deep in plans and may have already purchased the land on Port Rd to build something like a health hub/retail facility.

Any mention of that, I'd assume that's part of the RussellEbertHandball dot point about revenue streams outside of football.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

I've been hearing that the club is trying to buy residential land between the oval and Port Rd with a view to re-zone and develop

Re the member elected directors, I've written on here a few times, that as a minimum we should have elected is 3, so there would be an election every year, which is a way the pressure is released as members feel like they can have their say every year and can vent via kicking out a director.

Monday I was driving home and on AA they said they would interview the 2 candidates running for the board, this week, like they did with the 2 Port nominees, and said one of them was Graham Goodings. I thought to myself, didn't he get elected 2 years ago?

Yesterday Olsen on AA, confirmed it was a 2 year term, and was asked by Timmy G why Adelaide directors only serve 2 year term and not 3 years like others clubs. Olsen said they changed the rules a few years ago so that the members could have a say each year, as like Port, they only have 2 member elected directors.

I reckon that was changed when Graham Goodings won as there was a lot of agitation at the time, re finding a proper home base, that the crows hadn't played in finals since 2017 and the Camp fall out at the time.

So crows decided a way they could be seen to placate their fans wasn't to increase the member elected directors to 3, to have an election each year, but reduce the 3 year term to 2, so that the natives could turn over the 2 quicker, whilst the 8 stay the same.

Incumbent director Graeme Goodings is seeking a second term from members. The media personality is going up against Professor Tracy Smart AO, a retired air force officer and former Surgeon General of the Australian Defence Force.Goodings was elected to the Crows board in 2022 with 31.8 per cent of the vote in a seven-way contest. Last year, Crows members elected former Heart Foundation SA/NT chief executive Imelda Lynch in a four-way contest for the other member-elected board spot.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back