Official Club Stuff Port Adelaide FC AGM 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Were there any comments made about the redevelopment? As in, other than increasing the asset base?

Last I heard they found some nasty substances in the soil which needed to be dealt with and will take some significant time to fix. Is the blow out only in terms of the schedule or budget as well?
They found carbon in the soil.

Being sponsored by Santos makes it ridiculous, but pretty much every corporate organisation is at least claiming to be going carbon neutral. It's not something worth getting upset about, especially when there's the issue of kochie scamming old grannies that wasn't addressed

I know you're the resident climate change guy, but It's ******* dumb and pointless

By-passing the carbon neutral bs the passive aggression in what Koch publicly dumped on Tredders was jaw dropping.

I couldn't be more angry with him. Seriously who the * do you think you are and as for Donuts licking his lips at the look of our list

go * yourself moite. You've had your go Buck-O. GF is now my minimum pass mark and even that's with a sour taste in my gob.

serious the simpsons GIF

Waiting for the RussellEbertHandball AGM recap

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The AGM format was different this year, Q&A in the middle not the end. Therefore I knew it was going to be somewhat limited with the time of asking questions.

Koch started off going thru our financials and it turned me to sleep. The usual stuff about net assets are strong, despite inserting an intangible asset of the licence of $6.5m, 3 years ago, but back dated prior year comparison, making profits last 2 years, revenues recovered well post covid then he bloviated about debt. He tried to say that our debt was good debt, not bad debt because we are building assets.

FFS between 2008 and 2014 we made accumulated losses of $6m, those loses were after SANFL and AFL grants, that helped to keep us afloat. That was financed by debt as we had no cash or assets to sell. Add a bit of debt between 2015-19, a bit more for The Precinct upgrade and short term loan from the AFL to get thru covid, which has been paid back.

Debt is now $6m and they hope to pay off another $2m to get it to $4m at end of 2023. At that level, then we can go borrow monies to buy income producing assets.

The 3 pages of financial statements provided at the meeting are useless to try and understand the clubs true position especially with government grants and write offs of a large chunk of assets that have been demolished. You need the full accounts that we only can get from ASIC, but the P&L position was;

Normal profits inc depreciation.. $3,463,552
other items
Capital grants for redevelopment $3,554,008 .... $7,017,560 was reported in December as statutory profit. Not correct.
Revaluation gain on memorabilia $146,065
Losses on knocking down facility ($4,972,746) ie impairment of previously revalued building assets on eastern side of Alberton Oval

Total Statutory Profit .............. $2,190,879

This is why net assets only increased by $2.190m to and not $7.017m "statutory profit"

Carbon neutrality - is puff stuff.

Richo said our membership is at 90% of budget for end of January - that means about 5k behind where they thought they would be.

Admitted membership has stagnated at 60,000 mark. Said we have 50,000 new supporters a lot of that that driven by AFLW. I assume that comes from those annual Roy Morgan surveys.

Someone asked about getting rid of the "bad" pokies and Richo said the club will sell them some point down the track. I was tempted to says pokies have made the Hawks a net $40m after exiting their pokie venues in mid 2022, and after paying off the $8m loan balance that was $12m 10 years ago and they made $2m-$4m a year profit from their pokie venues over that decade. So the Hawks have benefited by $60m - $80m from their pokies over a decade.

I put several points and questions into one lot, because I knew I wouldn't get answers to each one. PowerLil had asked a question about becoming a fully member controlled club again and Richo and Koch talked about no club having 100% member elected directors. There was some scepticism, especially re Collingwood, but the Vic clubs are more likely to be 8 elected + 2 appointed than our 2+8 model.

So I changed my questions as a result and focused it onto the whole governance structure. I first said thanks for some of the improvements over the last few years at Alberton and that my criticism is driven about catching Greatness, not just bloody chasing it.

I said I had spoken to and meet Darren Cahill last year and am still in communication with him as I am introducing him to a software company near Indian Wells - where the 5th tennis major is played in March in Southern California. I said Darren told me he had recommended 3 people to Koch to replace him and that his first choice was Warren.

I asked why isn't their an experienced elite footballer on the club board? I asked do you expect a marketing company to not have an experienced marketing person on their board or a motor vehicle manufacturer not have a motor industry person on their board? Got a few claps for this point. I asked why did it take 4 months to basically tell Warren that they wanted him to go thru the member elected route? I asked why don't we have a member election every year, so that at least 3 people are elected onto the board?

I got the answers you saw in the Tsier. That it had to go thru a governance committee. They want ex players to be on club committees first, ie do a whole lot of unpaid work before they get on the board. Koch contrasted Tredders to Dom who has been on the footy committee for 5+ years and said how can I pick one ex captain over another, so his default position is, let the members choose.

He said his view might be wrong, but that is the way he has chosen to handle things.

Koch made it clear that he chooses. He has the real power. Despite what he said about a governance committee, he has the final say.

I then asked why don't we have a 31st October 2028 - the AFL exits the club clause - like the crows have in their constitution? Koch and Richo, and the board members I spoke to afterwards, were oblivious to this, didn't know about it. I had printed out 4 pages of the crows constitution, but didn't have it handy to read from, had it mixed up with other stuff, but I asked why haven't we got this clause in our Constitution, and will the club move to this model?? Koch didn't give an answer.

I said we used to be 5 member elected + 5 appointed to the board when we were under SANFL's control, then it became 4+4 + the board were allowed to appoint 2 "experts." I said we should be aiming for a 5+5 situation again.

At the end of the meeting I gave Koch the 4 pages from the crows constitution and pointed out where it said it 31-10-28 is independence day for them and he took it with him.

This is step 1 of changing things. I will follow up with a letter to Richo and our legal eagle on the board Jamie Restas and push that we have to transition to the same situation as the crows. That we change our constitution to include the 31-10-28 independence day clause. The next step is to go to 3 member elected directors, and get to 5 by 31-10-28. We are never going to get to all 10 being member elected directors. Koch and Richo made that clear.

So if anyone of you are lapsed members get a call from the membership department about you joining up again, and you don't want to, tell them you will renew when the 31-10-28 independence day clause is inserted into our constitution, and well as when Ken goes.

Someone raised the PBs. No movement on that front. One guy asked a lot about footy and that it wasn't good enough.

Juliet Haslam then spoke about the women's program. She was clear and to the point about our inaugural season. She's impressive.

Ken spoke about the footy program. Someone asked what can we expect to see?? Fast attacking footy - that was the simple answer.

The 7 new players were presented. Willie Rioli is a bit of a character, think he will become a fan favourite if he plays well. JHF was given the microphone and spoke well and you can tell he is a driven kid. I didn't realise Fabian Francis has been his step dad for as long as he indicated. Said he has only known the Port way since he was a little kid.

Tom Scully is a tall bastard. Has a lot of meat to put on the bones. Tom McCallum is a good size already, but he stood next to Scully and you could clearly see how much height he is giving away if he has to play on 200cm CHFs/FFs gorilla types.

When Ken left the stage there were no applause, just walked off. silence.

Overall a pretty dry and tame evening. Flat is one word I'd use, but I was pretty flat going into it, so it might have been me.

Here are the relevant sections from the crows constitution. Their's came into force on 27-03-2014, our's on 01-11-13.

1676107857143.png

1676107969832.png

1676107914799.png

1676108047938.png

1676108107175.png

1676108696478.png

Last edited:
The AGM format was different this year, Q&A in the middle not the end. Therefore I knew it was going to be somewhat limited with the time of asking questions.

Koch started off going thru our financials and it turned me to sleep. The usual stuff about net assets are strong, despite inserting an intangible asset of the licence of $6.5m, 3 years ago, but back dated prior year comparison, making profits last 2 years, revenues recovered well post covid then he bloviated about debt. He tried to say that our debt was good debt, not bad debt because we are building assets.

FFS between 2008 and 2014 we made accumulated losses of $6m, those loses were after SANFL and AFL grants, that helped to keep us afloat. Add a bit of debt between 2015-19, a bit more for The Precinct upgrade and short term loan from the AFL to get thru covid, which has been paid back.

Debt is now $6m and they hope to pay off another $2m to get it to $4m at end of 2023. At that level, then we can go borrow monies to buy income producing assets.

The 3 pages of financial statements provided at the meeting are useless to try and understand the clubs true position especially with government grants and write offs of a large chunk of assets that have been demolished. You need the full accounts that we only can get from ASIC, but the P&L position was;

other items
Capital grants for redevelopment $3,554,008 .... $7,017,560 was reported in December as statutory profit. Not correct.
Losses on knocking down facility ($4,972,746) ie impairment of previously revalued building assets on eastern side of Alberton Oval

This is why net assets only increased by $2.190m to and not $7.017m "statutory profit"

Richo said our membership is at 90% of budget for end of January - that means about 5k behind where they thought they would be.

Admitted membership has stagnated at 60,000 mark. Said we have 50,000 new supporters a lot of that that driven by AFLW. I assume that comes from those annual Roy Morgan surveys.

Someone asked about getting rid of the "bad" pokies and Richo said the club will sell them some point down the track. I was tempted to says pokies have made the Hawks a net $40m after exiting their pokie venues in mid 2022, and after paying off the $8m loan balance that was $12m 10 years ago and they made $2m-$4m a year profit from their pokie venues over that decade. So the Hawks have benefited by $60m - $80m from their pokies over a decade.

I put several points and questions into one lot, because I knew I wouldn't get answers to each one. PowerLil had asked a question about becoming a fully member controlled club again and Richo and Koch talked about no club having 100% member elected directors. There was some scepticism, especially re Collingwood, but the Vic clubs are more likely to be 8 elected + 2 appointed than our 2+8 model.

So I changed my questions as a result and focused it onto the whole governance structure. I first said thanks for someone of the improvements over the last few years at Alberton and that my criticism is driven about catching Greatness, not just bloody chasing it.

I said I had spoken to and meet Darren Cahill last year and am still in communication with him as I am introducing him to a software company near Indian Wells - where the 5th tennis major is played in March in Southern California. I said Darren told me he had recommended 3 people to Koch to replace him and that his first choice was Warren.

I asked why isn't their an experienced elite footballer on the club board? I asked do you expect a marketing company to not have an experienced marketing person on their board or a motor vehicle manufacturer not have a motor industry person on their board? Got a few claps for this point. I asked why did it take 4 months to basically tell Warren that they wanted him to go thru the member elected route? I asked why don't we have a member election every year, so that at least 3 people are elected onto the board?

I got the answers you saw in the Tsier. That it had to go thru a governance committee. They want ex players to be on club committees first, ie do a whole lot of unpaid work before they get on the board. Koch contrasted Tredders to Dom who has been on the footy committee for 5+ years and said how can I pick one ex captain over another, so his default position is, let the members choose.

He said his view might be wrong, but that is the way he has chosen to handle things.

Koch made it clear that he chooses. He has the real power. Despite what he said about a governance committee, he has the final say.

I then asked why don't we have a 31st October 2028 - the AFL exits the club clause - like the crows have in their constitution? Koch and Richo, and the board members I spoke to afterwards, were oblivious to this, didn't know about it. I had printed out 4 pages of the crows constitution, but didn't have it handy to read from, had it mixed up with other stuff, but I asked why haven't we got this clause in our Constitution, and will the club move to this model?? Koch didn't give an answer.

I said we used to be 5 member elected + 5 appointed to the board when we were under SANFL's control, then it became 4+4 + the board were allowed to appoint 2 "experts." I said we should be aiming for a 5+5 situation again.

At the end of the meeting I gave Koch the 4 pages from the crows constitution and pointed out where it said it 31-10-28 is independence day for them and he took it with him.

This is step 1 of changing things. I will follow up with a letter to Richo and our legal eagle on the board Jamie Restas and push that we have to transition to the same situation as the crows. That we change our constitution to include the 31-10-28 independence day clause. The next step is to go to 3 member elected directors, and get to 5 by 31-10-28. We are never going to get to all 10 being member elected directors. Koch and Richo made that clear.

So if anyone of you are lapsed members get a call from the membership department about you joining up again, and you don't want to, tell them you will renew when the 31-10-28 independence day clause is inserted into our constitution, and well as when Ken goes.

Someone raised the PBs. No movement on that front. One guy asked a lot about footy and that it wasn't good enough.

Juliet Haslam then spoke about the women's program. She was clear and to the point about our inaugural season. She's impressive.

Ken spoke about the footy program. Someone asked what can we expect to see?? Fast attacking footy - that was the simple answer.

The 7 new players were presented. Willie Rioli is a bit of a character, think he will become a fan favourite if he plays well. JHF was given the microphone and spoke well and you can tell he is a driven kid. I didn't realise Fabian Francis has been his step dad for as long as he indicated. Said he has only known the Port way since he was a little kid.

Tom Scully is a tall bastard. Has a lot of meet to put on the bones. Tom McCallum is a good size already, but he stood next to Scully and you could clearly see how much height he is giving away if he has to play on 200cm CHFs/FFs gorilla types.

Overall a pretty dry and tame evening. Flat is one word I'd use, but I was pretty flat going into it so it might have been me.

Here are the relevant sections from the crows constitution. There's came into forced on 27-03-2014 our's on 01-11-13.

View attachment 1604950

View attachment 1604954

View attachment 1604953

View attachment 1604956

View attachment 1604957

View attachment 1604961

Pretty poor of Koch to note know about the AFl license control thing. Its not like he ws on the board when it was signed off or anything

FFS between 2008 and 2014 we made accumulated losses of $6m, those loses were after SANFL and AFL grants, that helped to keep us afloat. Add a bit of debt between 2015-19, a bit more for The Precinct upgrade and short term loan from the AFL to get thru covid, which has been paid back.

other items

So I changed my questions as a result and focused it onto the whole governance structure. I first said thanks for someone of the improvements over the last few years at Alberton and that my criticism is driven about catching Greatness, not just bloody chasing it.

Tom Scully is a tall bastard. Has a lot of meet to put on the bones. Tom McCallum is a good size already, but he stood next to Scully and you could clearly see how much height he is giving away if he has to play on 200cm CHFs/FFs gorilla types.

Overall a pretty dry and tame evening. Flat is one word I'd use, but I was pretty flat going into it so it might have been me.

Here are the relevant sections from the crows constitution. There's came into forced on 27-03-2014 our's on 01-11-13.

View attachment 1604950

View attachment 1604954

View attachment 1604953

View attachment 1604956

View attachment 1604957

View attachment 1604961

Thank you so much for taking the time to write all this down. Really do appreciate it! Gives us a better insight into what happened. Im glad you asked about the member elected committee. Hopefully they look into this...

Many, many thanks, REH.

Superb effort.

The (non-core business) : (core business alias footy) factor of 95% : 5% is reflected in your report and in turn reflects the prevailing attitude at Alberton - influenced by the ‘Who cares about Football’ attitude from Bungan Beach.

Koch has gotta go. What an imposter, what a ‘professional bullshitter’ - quote / unquote: his accurate description of himself.

Edit: Governance Committee. Does it exist? Who’s on it besides Koch and Restas (not).

Combo him and the power vested in the chair.
Very dissapointing.
As much as Kochie is a boofhead who wouldn't know premierships if he ran into jack Cahill

There is nothing to say that the next one won't be worse

To me, member control of the chairman needs to be the end game. * i don't care if it's in 4 year terms, but there needs to be some level of accountability

Very dissapointing.
As much as Kochie is a boofhead who wouldn't know premierships if he ran into jack Cahill

To me, member control of the chairman needs to be the end game. * i don't care if it's in 4 year terms, but there needs to be some level of accountability
Mate … “nothing to say that the next one won’t be worse” … kindly desist with this sort of unhelpful glob shyte.

It is not possible that ‘the next one’ will be worse.

Very dissapointing.

When we were 5+5 board members under SANFL control, Greg Boulton always put himself up for election to the members.

Brett Duncanson ran in 2005 I think, when he was the Magpies president and lost the election. The next year or 2007 he was a SANFL appointee and never ran for election again.

There is no way Brett was some sort of SANFL plant or patsie but the fact he wasnt a member elected director made it easier for Koch not to be, and given he lived in Sydney, he probably would have been reluctant to be a member elected director

If Koch ran he would win, but at least a significant protest vote could be lodged by voting for other candidates.

When we were 5+5 board members under SANFL control, Greg Boulton always put himself up for election to the members.

Brett Duncanson ran in 2005 I think, when he was the Magpies president and lost the election. The next year or 2007 he was a SANFL appointee and never ran for election again.

There is no way Brett was some sort of SANFL plant or patsie but the fact he wasnt a member elected director made it easier for Koch not to be, and given he lived in Sydney, he probably would have been reluctant to be a member elected director

If Koch ran he would win, but at least a significant protest vote could be lodged by voting for other candidates.
I thought that was the case early days

To me thats the end game. 5+5 board members and member voted chairman

Remove this Banner Ad

Back