Official Club Stuff 2023 AGM - held on Friday 9th Feb 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Both Davies and Ken specifically blamed last years s**t show on the defence being undermanned/undersized.

No mention of the disappearing midfield or peanut brittle fragility of the entire side when the wick got lit.
You might find that our young midfield disappeared because for 23 rounds it was forced to cover for said defence being undermanned/undersized. If I was constantly sick, missing shifts at work and generally not doing my job and management asked you to cover for me, I don’t care how good you are, you’re going to have a nervous breakdown…especially when the wick gets lit.

Went very hard litigating that point after the thing had ended.

“If you remove the coach you aren’t just removing the coach, you’re resetting the whole program, you’ll lose some players, others won’t come if they don’t know who the coach is. There’s not one thing that can guarantee you a premiership”

He also made reference to the fact that they knew what was happening in the membership base and how divisive Ken’s extension was going to be, and it wasn’t a decision they made lightly. I took the comments to mean that they don’t want to change tack while the club is sitting in the top 4, regardless of exposed form in the finals. So, basically, cross your fingers and hope that Ken manages to win a flag because until the next contract is up I don’t see anyone ousting him or falling on their own swords.

It's an excellent point from Richardson. Must be a very smart guy.

Look what happened after Collingwood got rid of a club legend and replaced him with some untried loser called Mcrae. Complete disaster! Much better going with same bloke who has consistently failed for 11 years.

Get excited power fans, things are looking up for ol Gil Hinkley humming-dancing.gif

The question about this and David's response meant I had to respond to it given I asked the question last year, but it meant I couldn't ask my preferred question, which Chewy316 was telling me I could not ask. It was;

To paraphrase our old ex video analyst and assistant coach bRyan MacMillan, I have a Super Important question to ask. Will the new AFL rule change to whistling, severely challenge our robust whistler's on the interchange bench to do their job properly? Do we have well defined strategies to get around the ban??

I did ask the same question, just left out the reference to bRyan, to CD after the meeting and he laughed. He said that Chad and Rizza are loud whistlers and whistle a lot. I asked why the hell was such a rule introduced, and he said Foxtel have complained about it a lot over the previous couple of years.

Re the 31st of October 2028 clause in the crow's constitution. I got up and said it was me who asked about it last year, and that I would send a copy of their constitution to Richo so they can study it. ( I will also send a copy to Tredders and Jamie Restas). After the meeting David Koch came up to me and Chewy and we talked about it and David was confused, because a question prior to yours Cheesey Mac was about AFL licenses and if all 18 clubs had a license with the AFL. He thought the question was about taking over full control of licence, not so much about members voting in more or all the directors.

Koch couldn't remember a question about getting back a licence off the AFL last year. When he chatted with me, I said its about the clause that removes the AFL from the crows constitution and its called the Development Grant Completion Date tying in with 2028 being the last year of instalment of buying back the sub licences from the SANFL. He then remembered that I showed him a few clauses last year after the AGM was over. He didn't make a commitment to any change, but I said I will send a copy of the crows constitution to Richo and Restas and get them to discuss it with you. I will also talk to Tredders about it as he is a member elected director and he is representing what us members want.

And yes to change from 2 to say 5 or all 10 directors being elected by members, the constitution has to be changed and clause 7 says it has to be approved by AFL.

So its a 2 step process to get more member elected directors. Lobby the club and convince them its the right idea and they then enthausatically take the proposal to the AFL. Koch said the club has a great relationship with the AFL, so they will probably then agree if its 3 or 5 or 6. Can't see either the club or AFL backing all 10 to be member elected.

In our constitution Members = Directors. Buy a membership and you are a club member not a Member of PAFC Limited. The Corporations Act talks about Members, not club members.

View attachment 1902463

After mentioning that, I asked my question about the lights and using them more often for night events, not just night games.

Koch in his address was talking about increasing revenue streams and the new proposed development and I looked out to my right and saw the light tower and thought of more night games and events, being potential bigger revenue streams. So when Koch had mentioned the lights and becoming a boutique AFLW and AFL Reserves stadium as his answer to the question, before the 2 questions re licence and member elected directors, I thought given I got up to point out I raised the board structure question last year, I might as well ask about the use of lights and night events.

I knew that night games are going to be controversial with residents especially if we can get 8k to 10k crowds compared to 2k on a Saturday or Sunday arvo, so asked if we had a number of games and events in mind we would have?. Koch and Richo said the club wants them, but it is going to be a balancing act with residents and council as to how hard we can push it.

I have seen the lights on at 3/4 level and maybe 1/2 level and they are bloody bright. Richo said only Adelaide Oval and Alberton Oval have a 1,400 Lux capacity. He said one night he was at the top of Torrens Rd when they tested them at 100% and it was bloody bright and they stood out like a beacon.

I mentioned concerts and used a community concert say to raise money for our community programs, as that might attract 5k to 10k, as I didn't want to use the spectre of a 30,000, 31 December 1996 Jimmy Barnes concert as the prime example, as a regular concert series of that size would really piss off the residents.

But to my delight Koch said he would like nothing more than repeating the 1991 Cold Chisel did at Alberton Oval. I don't know of that one, but do know of Jimmy's 1996 one. When Koch talked to me about the constitution, I told him when I mentioned concerts, I was really thinking of the 1996 one, but knew it would be a hard sell with the council. We talked a bit about the potential for concerts.

Earlier this year JimmyBC said the club should use Jimmy Barnes more. The search engine isn't working properly so I cant find that post and my response that we should get as part of the induction process for new players to PAFC and the Port area, get Jimmy to do something at the Largs Pier Hotel with the new players, tell stories about his time in the Port as well as watching the club and sing 3 or 4 songs as well as the one he wrote a few years ago about the Largs Pier Hotel. I also said the parents might be more impressed than the young players.

Now that I know Koch is such a fan, and we have Tredders to listen to us, I am going to lobby them to talk to Jimmy about doing something with the club.

I took some notes about finances and other stuff and I will post them when I get back from the family day. I want to get a tour of the new facilities.

I thought your question with whistling was in reference to whether it would mean Ken would have to go back into the coaches' box. That's why I didn't want you to ask it because I thought it would create too much angst.

But to my delight Koch said he would like nothing more than repeating the 1991 Cold Chisel did at Alberton Oval. I don't know of that one, but do know of Jimmy's 1996 one. When Koch talked to me about the constitution, I told him when I mentioned concerts, I was really thinking of the 1996 one, but knew it would be a hard sell with the council. We talked a bit about the potential for concerts.
I think Koch is full of s**t here. I'm pretty sure Cold Chisel didn't play any concerts between breaking up in 83 and the late 90s (happy to be corrected). I have no memory of them ever playing at Alberton. I remember Jimmy Barnes playing there in 96 because I was at a party at a mate's place, whose house backs onto the oval.
I looked up their concert archive to see if I was wrong, and there's no record of a concert at Alberton.

I don't think you can trust anything that comes out of Koch's mouth, on any topic. It's almost like he's a professional bullshitter.

The question about this and David's response meant I had to respond to it given I asked the question last year, but it meant I couldn't ask my preferred question, which Chewy316 was telling me I could not ask. It was;

To paraphrase our old ex video analyst and assistant coach bRyan MacMillan, I have a Super Important question to ask. Will the new AFL rule change to whistling, severely challenge our robust whistler's on the interchange bench to do their job properly? Do we have well defined strategies to get around the ban??

I did ask the same question, just left out the reference to bRyan, to CD after the meeting and he laughed. He said that Chad and Rizza are loud whistlers and whistle a lot. I asked why the hell was such a rule introduced, and he said Foxtel have complained about it a lot over the previous couple of years.

Re the 31st of October 2028 clause in the crow's constitution. I got up and said it was me who asked about it last year, and that I would send a copy of their constitution to Richo so they can study it. ( I will also send a copy to Tredders and Jamie Restas). After the meeting David Koch came up to me and Chewy and we talked about it and David was confused, because a question prior to yours Cheesey Mac was about AFL licenses and if all 18 clubs had a license with the AFL. He thought the question was about taking over full control of licence, not so much about members voting in more or all the directors.

Koch couldn't remember a question about getting back a licence off the AFL last year. When he chatted with me, I said its about the clause that removes the AFL from the crows constitution and its called the Development Grant Completion Date tying in with 2028 being the last year of instalment of buying back the sub licences from the SANFL. He then remembered that I showed him a few clauses last year after the AGM was over. He didn't make a commitment to any change, but I said I will send a copy of the crows constitution to Richo and Restas and get them to discuss it with you. I will also talk to Tredders about it as he is a member elected director and he is representing what us members want.

And yes to change from 2 to say 5 or all 10 directors being elected by members, the constitution has to be changed and clause 7 says it has to be approved by AFL.

So its a 2 step process to get more member elected directors. Lobby the club and convince them its the right idea and they then enthausatically take the proposal to the AFL. Koch said the club has a great relationship with the AFL, so they will probably then agree if its 3 or 5 or 6. Can't see either the club or AFL backing all 10 to be member elected.

In our constitution Members = Directors. Buy a membership and you are a club member not a Member of PAFC Limited. The Corporations Act talks about Members, not club members.

View attachment 1902463

After mentioning that, I asked my question about the lights and using them more often for night events, not just night games.

Koch in his address was talking about increasing revenue streams and the new proposed development and I looked out to my right and saw the light tower and thought of more night games and events, being potential bigger revenue streams. So when Koch had mentioned the lights and becoming a boutique AFLW and AFL Reserves stadium as his answer to the question, before the 2 questions re licence and member elected directors, I thought given I got up to point out I raised the board structure question last year, I might as well ask about the use of lights and night events.

I knew that night games are going to be controversial with residents especially if we can get 8k to 10k crowds compared to 2k on a Saturday or Sunday arvo, so asked if we had a number of games and events in mind we would have?. Koch and Richo said the club wants them, but it is going to be a balancing act with residents and council as to how hard we can push it.

I have seen the lights on at 3/4 level and maybe 1/2 level and they are bloody bright. Richo said only Adelaide Oval and Alberton Oval have a 1,400 Lux capacity. He said one night he was at the top of Torrens Rd when they tested them at 100% and it was bloody bright and they stood out like a beacon.

I mentioned concerts and used a community concert say to raise money for our community programs, as that might attract 5k to 10k, as I didn't want to use the spectre of a 30,000, 31 December 1996 Jimmy Barnes concert as the prime example, as a regular concert series of that size would really piss off the residents.

Earlier this year JimmyBC said the club should use Jimmy Barnes more. The search engine isn't working properly so I cant find that post and my response that we should get as part of the induction process for new players to PAFC and the Port area, get Jimmy to do something at the Largs Pier Hotel with the new players, tell stories about his time in the Port as well as watching the club and sing 3 or 4 songs as well as the one he wrote a few years ago about the Largs Pier Hotel. I also said the parents might be more impressed than the young players.

Now that I know Koch is such a fan, and we have Tredders to listen to us, I am going to lobby them to talk to Jimmy about doing something with the club.

I took some notes about finances and other stuff and I will post them when I get back from the family day. I want to get a tour of the new facilities.
If I remember correctly, Jimmy mentioned in 2020 that if we made the grand final he would sing at it.

Not sure what his plans are for doing gigs after his recent heart issues, at the moment I'm just happy he is recovering well.
Thanks for the recap from the AGM, I'm much clearer on the situation now.

Would love to see us get to 5-5 on the board by 2028, even if the Crows do go to 10-0, although I'm sure they will still give us a ribbing for it.

----------

On the other topic, I was near the front at the 1996 New Years Eve concert at Alberton, the only other band I remember on the night was Chunky Custard. Had the poster from that concert on the wall for many years, will have to try and dig it up.

AFAIK Cold Chisel never performed at Alberton, I think I would have known.

Last edited:

It is mentioned in here (at 5:30) that a reserves side would wear the prison bars.
Was it wishy-washy language or a firm commitment?

Did anyone else pick up on that?

I got the impression that we will play in the VFL comp first.

There is nothing stopping us being a black and white side there given Southport and Collingwood are. Plus there are other colour double ups.

It would mean if we play a year or two in VFL with them, it would make no sense for the AFL to ban them from the new AFL reserves comp.

Plus Jeff Browne is now Collingwood president and Richo confirmed we already have the right to wear them for this year's home showdown.

For those who have forgotten or don't know, Jeff Browne was the AFL's legal counsel between about 1984 and 2006, before McGuire took him up to Sydney when he became Ch 9's CEO. McGuire got bonned, Browne stayed on, eventually running Ch 9 Melbourne and being a Nine Network board member.

Browne was an external legal counsel, and it wasnt until he went to Sydney that the AFL employed internally a legal counsel. He wrote the rules and regulations for the AFL, which included club licences and stuff on club logos and trademarks being assigned to the AFL.,

McGuire would jump up and down and said he would take it to court. Browne knows where the legal holes are over this issue, so a small concession makes sense in his opinion.

So these two combined reasons is why I think the club is bullish that we would wear the PB every game at Alberton, after we leave the SANFL.

Last edited:
Sounds so depressing that change is so far away. They probably want former players to go via the members vote to stop the average fan getting onto the board!

It’s sounds like the clique of all clique

If I remember correctly, Jimmy mentioned in 2020 that if we made the grand final he would sing at it.

Not sure what his plans after for doing gigs after his recent heart issues, at the moment I'm just happy he is recovering well.

Would love to see us get to 5-5 on the board by 2028, even if the Crows do go to 10-0, although I'm sure they will still give us a ribbing for it.
Crows wont go 10-0, or if they do its a long way off. They still have too many SANFL ties and keeping the great unwashed at a distance. They have progressed over 20 years as their fans have finally stood up and not worried about being like Port

I thought your question with whistling was in reference to whether it would mean Ken would have to go back into the coaches' box. That's why I didn't want you to ask it because I thought it would create too much angst.
My main thinking was to just have a laugh, and I was mainly thinking of Rizza's work, but that would have been a bit of serendipity if people saw it as Ken off the bench question.

Last edited:

Not sure what his plans after for doing gigs after his recent heart issues, at the moment I'm just happy he is recovering well.

Yes, and for free and that's why JimmyBC raised it and said we should do more with Jimmy.

I think Koch is full of s**t here. I'm pretty sure Cold Chisel didn't play any concerts between breaking up in 83 and the late 90s (happy to be corrected). I have no memory of them ever playing at Alberton. I remember Jimmy Barnes playing there in 96 because I was at a party at a mate's place, whose house backs onto the oval.
I looked up their concert archive to see if I was wrong, and there's no record of a concert at Alberton.

I don't think you can trust anything that comes out of Koch's mouth, on any topic. It's almost like he's a professional bullshitter.
I reckon Koch meant 1996 Jimmy's concert and not Chisel's.

I was living in Sydney both in 1991 and 1996 and it wasn't until about 7 or 8 years ago that I found out about the 1996 concert, so I didn't question his 1991 call.

You are right Chisel didn't play Alberton in 1991. They played 1 show in 1993 and that was at the Woolloomooloo Hotel in Sydney and Koch could have gone to both and mixed that up with Jimmy's 1996 concert.

Last edited:
Crows wont go 10-0, or if they do its a long way off. They still have too many SANFL ties and keeping the great unwashed at a distance. They have progressed over 20 years as their fans have finally stood up and not worried about being like Port
1707545938580.png

1707545957294.png

I interpreted these two sections of their constitution as guaranteeing they would go 10-0, but I could be wrong.

View attachment 1902495

View attachment 1902496

I interpreted these two sections of their constitution as guaranteeing they would go 10-0, but I could be wrong.
I read 7.2 as the Board on 31.10.2028 can take on the AFL's rights under 7.2(b) or if they don't take them on then, they can hand them to the Elected by members directors.

I see it as a possibility, not a guarantee it will go to 10-0 immediately after 31.10.2028.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Both Davies and Ken specifically blamed last years s**t show on the defence being undermanned/undersized.

No mention of the disappearing midfield or peanut brittle fragility of the entire side when the wick got lit.
Yes, the most readily available excuse.
They could've blamed the rucks as well.

And for the record, you can blame it on the defence last year, sure, but in the end, you have been responsible for the defence for the last decade. A nice follow up questions would be "why didn't you make sure your defence had the right players, wasn't undersized, wasn't old, wasn't injured, as it has only been a decade?

But yeah, the young midfield shrunk against strong, contested, hard ball in the finals like it had during the year struggled with the physicality and dropped their heads as it was a bit too hard. Now, they are only one year into playing together in the midfield so they have a lot of room to grow but it was a tad concerning.

Anyone else seriously fed up with Casissi’s name being paraded as a member of the committee that extended Donuts

You just know he’s high on Kock’s list for the vacant board seat
At least if Casissi is appointed to the Board then Koch is keeping his promise of not appointing club legends...

Lol if that's the case, then we have the wrong players. It is a football club not a cult of personality.

When Fos Williams and John Cahill - our greatest ever coaches - left Port, the players didn't leave en masse.
I have no personal sporting experience to call on, I was one of "those whose names were never called when choosing sides for basketball", so I can't comment on relationships with coaches. I do know though, that from my years of study, the teachers who I remember best were not those that were fun, or went easy on you for playing around in class, but the ones who were strict but fair, taught us well, made sure we worked hard, did the job they were there to do and helped us get results. They're the ones I'm most grateful for.

I have no personal sporting experience to call on, I was one of "those whose names were never called when choosing sides for basketball", so I can't comment on relationships with coaches. I do know though, that from my years of study, the teachers who I remember best were not those that were fun, or went easy on you for playing around in class, but the ones who were strict but fair, taught us well, made sure we worked hard, did the job they were there to do and helped us get results. They're the ones I'm most grateful for.
Think I said after Neville Hayes' passing, he was an old school campaigner, abrasive and would scream at you for being soft, weak, not going hard enough... but was the best footy coach I ever had.

I remember the hot teachers... Specially the counselor I had to go see when I was.... Naughty

He is definitely a professional bullshitter. Loves the sound of his own voice as well.

Re Jimmy Barnes playing at Alberton (and sorry if already mentioned). I recall that it was supposed to be a street party out the front of the Largs Pier Hotel as a nostalgia thing, which got a lot of heat from the local residents and ended up being relocated to Alberton. The rumour was that Cold Chisel were getting back together but turned out that Ian Moss was the only other member to play on the night...is that right? I was only 15 at the time so lacked the interest in going, but I remember all the hullabaloo about it.

Koch appeared oblivious to Vic club boards being member elected. He was bumbly about that entire topic but he kept reiterating that HE appoints the directors and the AFL have never intervened on his choices. Which is a problem. I honestly thought that he was oblivious to the fact that the club once was a member elected board.

Who the hell is that club official guy wearing the new club polo, packing up the chairs, and adamant that the members would elect a board of 10 past players?
Hes such a self important moron he has no idea that the fact that he selects the board members IS what we have a problem with

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Re Jimmy Barnes playing at Alberton (and sorry if already mentioned). I recall that it was supposed to be a street party out the front of the Largs Pier Hotel as a nostalgia thing, which got a lot of heat from the local residents and ended up being relocated to Alberton. The rumour was that Cold Chisel were getting back together but turned out that Ian Moss was the only other member to play on the night...is that right? I was only 15 at the time so lacked the interest in going, but I remember all the hullabaloo about it.
What year were you 15? 1991?

You might find that our young midfield disappeared because for 23 rounds it was forced to cover for said defence being undermanned/undersized. If I was constantly sick, missing shifts at work and generally not doing my job and management asked you to cover for me, I don’t care how good you are, you’re going to have a nervous breakdown…especially when the wick gets lit.

13 games in a row no problem , our young midfield s**t the bed a few games later. Yeah no worries.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Back