Preview 2023 Goodbye (To 2024) New; Preseason Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not sure I understand the consternation around the midfield mix. We need 7 mids in the full 22:
  • 3 primary (Wines, Rozee, Butters)
  • 2 wings (Boak, Burgoyne)
  • 2 bench, one who should be able to play both centre square or wing (Drew, JHF)

Seems like a really good mix to me. Let's also not forget that while the centre square combo is important, it accounts for about 5 minutes of a 120 minute game (30 bounces, 10 seconds each).

I think we’re a real chance to win the cup, not because Hinkley is a great coach, but because the list is strong enough and primed that I think a decent percentage of Div 7 coaches could lead this team to an afl cup.

My fear is that Hinkley will Hinkley this thing and fall short.

“Port Adelaide. I still haven’t come to grips with them saying they won’t make a decision on the coach until August – and when they were making those noises, they were flying, they made the decision on the coach in August and then they’ve lost six of their last nine including straight sets out in finals,” Lyon said.

Drew is the odd man out. He's the fifth best player in what should be a four man midfield rotation. Unless he can reinvent himself like SPP did, he can't play anywhere else. This is why I questioned his five year contract. People mostly mocked me at the time but now some of you are coming around.
Mentioned this last offseason need to give Drew 4-5 weeks in the SANFL to learn how to hurt teams and find more pill. Cannot have a midfielder avg 17 posse with no hurt factor and he can’t play anywhere else. Love his team first approach and gritt. Might be outside best 22, great depth player when we have injuries to midfielders.

I'm not sure I understand the consternation around the midfield mix. We need 7 mids in the full 22:
  • 3 primary (Wines, Rozee, Butters)
  • 2 wings (Boak, Burgoyne)
  • 2 bench, one who should be able to play both centre square or wing (Drew, JHF)

Seems like a really good mix to me. Let's also not forget that while the centre square combo is important, it accounts for about 5 minutes of a 120 minute game (30 bounces, 10 seconds each).
It would also be nice to hit finals without having cooked the young guns over the minor rounds

“Port Adelaide. I still haven’t come to grips with them saying they won’t make a decision on the coach until August – and when they were making those noises, they were flying, they made the decision on the coach in August and then they’ve lost six of their last nine including straight sets out in finals,” Lyon said.
Truth ^

But, but, but 13 in a row....

Depth is a great problem to have provided you're picking the right balance in the team. It's fine for instance to have a gluttony of rucks in the squad (think Primus, Brogan, Lade, French etc). But it becomes a problem when you try to play 3 of them all in the same team.

Depth becomes a negative problem when you're diluting player roles to fit everyone in the team particularly at the expense of the team balance which impacts your two top players in particular - Rozee and Butters.

We saw last year Wines spend significant portions of his game on a wing. It was to the detriment of the side. Now they say Wines will be exclusively on ball this year. Well that is going to dilute the Rozee, Butters, JHF and Drew minutes on the ball.

It's going to be a headache regardless of how much they're talking it up this pre-season.

We have players who are undroppable , regardless of form. The rest have to fight for positions.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If i see Dixon hobbling around in round 1 i dont think ill bother watching the season. Can understand last year given what we had available but this year there is no excuse to be playing injured players.

It was embarrassing for him & painful to watch.

I think we’re a real chance to win the cup, not because Hinkley is a great coach, but because the list is strong enough and primed that I think a decent percentage of Div 7 coaches could lead this team to an afl cup.

My fear is that Hinkley will Hinkley this thing and fall short.

We’ll lose both showdowns

Truth ^

But, but, but 13 in a row....
The sad thing is the pressure is directly aligned with Hinkley being in our out of a contract year. Truthfully we could miss the 8 and Ken is safe. Theres no real pressure on the group this year as he is safe for another 2 years.

The sad thing is the pressure is directly aligned with Hinkley being in our out of a contract year. Truthfully we could miss the 8 and Ken is safe. Theres no real pressure on the group this year as he is safe for another 2 years.
If this comes true, I have no idea what I’ll do. If we do manage to win the cup, it will be despite Hinkley, not because of him. I am getting desperate for another GF win.

Are we in a position where we divide games between Soldo and Sweet? Like, give Sweet the first month, Soldo from there to the bye, Sweet from the bye to August and Soldo August to September.

Come finals it would be great to have 2 ruckman we can rely on, if needed, who have played substantial minutes throughout the year but are not cooked (like Lycett was in September 2023).

Are we in a position where we divide games between Soldo and Sweet? Like, give Sweet the first month, Soldo from there to the bye, Sweet from the bye to August and Soldo August to September.

Come finals it would be great to have 2 ruckman we can rely on, if needed, who have played substantial minutes throughout the year but are not cooked (like Lycett was in September 2023).

We will have injuries. All of our rucks will get a decent run at some point. We don’t need to do a thing it will take care of itself.

messes with the teams consistency

We play our best side every week, so who ever if the two is in better form gets picked.

Soldo can snag an odd goal... But he isn't a forward.
And we already have too many actual tall forwards to fit into the side without exacerbating the problem by throwing Soldo or Sweet into the mix.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back