Preview 2022 Goodbye (To 2023) New; Preseason Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you miss the part where Paddy went to fertiliser before being traded?
Because he was like 32 and playing mostly forward? That's like blaming Hinkley for Robbie Gray's form deteriorating.

Sack Hinkley, but let's not pretend he's to blame for Lycett being s**t. Lycett would be s**t under any coach.

Because he was like 32 and playing mostly forward? That's like blaming Hinkley for Robbie Gray's form deteriorating.

Sack Hinkley, but let's not pretend he's to blame for Lycett being s**t. Lycett would be s**t under any coach.
Then he goes to St. Kilda and aside from injuries pretty much regained form overnight in ruck including schooling our blokes.

Then he goes to St. Kilda and aside from injuries pretty much regained form overnight in ruck including schooling our blokes.

I love Paddy and was very sad to see him go but you can't just ignore the effect of the injuries when assessing his performance. If we had kept him and he broke down as much as he did at St Kilda, there would be justifiable complaints about a lack of foresight. It's not like he was robust when he was with us.

Again, the problem was not trading Ryder but not finding (or developing) a suitable replacement.

I love Paddy and was very sad to see him go but you can't just ignore the effect of the injuries when assessing his performance. If we had kept him and he broke down as much as he did at St Kilda, there would be justifiable complaints about a lack of foresight. It's not like he was robust when he was with us.

Again, the problem was not trading Ryder but not finding (or developing) a suitable replacement.
That's irrelevant to my point which is they all go shite under Hinkley, there's a pattern.

Lobbe = Best two years of footy 2013/14 then drops to barely SANFL standard

Ryder = Another that starts well under Hinkley including AA honours then drops away, injuries & age are irrelevant early 30's is not old for rucks

Lycett = Best footy at Port first couple of years & we've witnessed the drop off ever since

You can also add that Hinkley has also struggled with a two prong ruck setup the entire journey, the form always plummets.

That's irrelevant to my point which is they all go shite under Hinkley, there's a pattern.

Ryder = Another that starts well under Hinkley including AA honours then drops away, injuries & age are irrelevant early 30's is not old for rucks

Lycett = Best footy at Port first couple of years & we've witnessed the drop off ever since

You can also add that Hinkley has also struggled with a two prong ruck setup the entire journey, the form always plummets.
Maybe the train harder for longer approach doesn’t always work?

Lobbe had a lot of injuries but his drop off from first choice AFL ruckman to a complete liability in the SANFL grand final was massive.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well Lycett is a s**t ruckman and a s**t midfielder, so the above would still be good enough to be a walk up start for us.
Yeah but cant i live in a world where port actually have a good ruckman? Why are the options Ladhams or Lycett

Putting my optimist hat on

In the pre season training/match sim there was an emphasis on overlap handball and that receiving in back via handball after a short in board kick

At the time i noted the defensive teams in these match sims werent really clogging the corridor with any emphasis

Both practice matches this was more clogged. And we went gun shy pretty quickly

So either theyre gonna have to learn to do the same overlap and just take whats on offer, or be more brave with the kick inside, or turn the kick inside to a more conventional switch. From memory it was similar in the first few rounds last year before we defaulted to hugging the boundary

Either way it was clear as day to me that they didnt prepare for the type of defensive they encountered against actual oppo (Sack Basset)

On Ryder

My memory wasnIn his last year with us we told him to bulk up and expect more forward minutes

He then was too heavy and that effected his leap

He then left to Saints, lost some kilos and surprise surprise was an elite tap ruck again

It was the prequel to the Duursma bulk up episode

We do have a pretty solid history of trying to fix perceived deficiencies rather than encouraging and nurturing strengths
I think Hinkley turns a blind eye to many deficiencies personally, and backs in things he sees work once or twice for too long.

He infuriates me because it feels like he backs in failing systems and structures, basing his beliefs on contexts that are either just wrong or are just accepting of mediocrity. I.e. his comments yesterday about how seeing things work at training means they'll work in a game. Which is just not a true reflection in any way shape or form and should not be considered as a successful vindication. Even then if you saw your forward line was beating our defence in training, well that doesn't say much, we have a s**t house defence, we need a system that can beat the best, not a crap defence, which just highlights that acceptance of mediocrity and just being good enough, not necessarily ruthless in the search of being the best. The other thing he does is accept our defence is top 5 because of scores against, it's total crap. Our defence is s**t, a total crap gameplan that results in us not scoring more than our opponents, may mean low scores against but isn't meaning wins, especially against the best.

I hate that lack of criticality and that lack of desire to be the best at everything. He just doesn't have that. He reeks of mediocrity. Port Adelaide culture is based on only accepting being the best, not accepting being competitive.

You could easily slot Charlie Dixon into this category, but the most important man on Port Adelaide's list is Aliir Aliir. Key defence has been the question mark over Ken Hinkley's team in recent years, and with Tom Clurey off to a slow start in 2023 and Tom Jonas and Trent McKenzie both into their 30s, the importance of Aliir is magnified. He is Port's best intercept marker, and along with Ryan Burton and Dan Houston is capable of launching attacks from the defensive 50. After injuring his ankle in the opening round last year, Aliir missed three games – all losses. Although his absence was clearly not the only reason Port Adelaide lost, it did highlight his structural importance and influence on the team. - Michael Whiting

You could easily slot Charlie Dixon into this category, but the most important man on Port Adelaide's list is Aliir Aliir. Key defence has been the question mark over Ken Hinkley's team in recent years, and with Tom Clurey off to a slow start in 2023 and Tom Jonas and Trent McKenzie both into their 30s, the importance of Aliir is magnified. He is Port's best intercept marker, and along with Ryan Burton and Dan Houston is capable of launching attacks from the defensive 50. After injuring his ankle in the opening round last year, Aliir missed three games – all losses. Although his absence was clearly not the only reason Port Adelaide lost, it did highlight his structural importance and influence on the team. - Michael Whiting

Yeah, we were missing both of these players. That's the reason why we lost those three games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back