Preview 2022 Goodbye (To 2023) New; Preseason Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The big result for the Power was the lack of serious damage for veteran Travis Boak, with scans revealing no fracture but extensive bruising around his ribs and lungs after a collision with Eagle Jeremy McGovern. That was crucial as Port is approaching Round 1 with a few injury concerns.

Charlie Dixon was ruled out of Fridayā€™s match after he suffered bruised intercostal muscles in Portā€™s internal trial last week. He joined Zak Butters, Darcy Byrne-Jones, Jeremy Finlayson, Trent Dumont and Josh Sinn on the sidelines ā€” although Dixon, Butters and Byrne-Jones are all expected to take part in next weekā€™s official practice match against Fremantle.

Despite the result, there were several positives for Power fans to take away from Fridayā€™s loss to West Coast. Connor Rozee at times played a class above every other player on the field, while recruit Junior Rioli and returning forward Orazio Fantasia looking dangerous inside 50. And big-name recruit Jason Horne-Francis put in an encouraging performance, having an impact both at centre bounces then inside 50 when resting forward.

But Port assistant coach Nathan Bassett was particularly impressed by veteran ruck Scott Lycett, who played as the No. 1 ruck with support from Brynn Teakle. ā€œā€˜Scooterā€™ (Lycett) was really impressive, he did a really good job for us in the ruck,ā€ Bassett told reporters. ā€œBrynn is a good learner and he is getting better. Scott gave us a great look and his contest was really good. ā€œHe only played four games last year and heā€™s been building in pre-season so itā€™s good to see him back and playing good footy.ā€

We were just holding back we'll be a well oiled slick ball movement machine against Brisbane.. Ports by 66 points.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Considering its list build and strong finish to its 2022 campaign, Power fans would be entering this season optimistic they can return to the finals come September. But Portā€˜s WA pre-season road trip resulted in two defeats to the Eagles and Dockers ā€“ and the positives were tough to pick out.

After going down to West Coast in a match simulation hitout, the Power were then overrun by Fremantle six days later at Fremantle Oval.

Sam Powell-Pepper and recruit Francis Evans were dynamic up forward, Miles Bergman showed some promise on the wing and Connor Rozee was classy around the ball against the Dockers. But that was about it. Port for the second week in a row won the inside 50 count but were inefficient and inaccurate forward of centre. Ken Hinkleyā€™s men also lost the clearance (-6) and contested possession (-10) counts convincingly.

Four-time Port best and fairest winner Kane Cornes said he had concerns over the clubā€˜s lack of midfield depth and inconsistency up forward as Charlie Dixon, Mitch Georgiades and Todd Marshall combined for just one goal. ā€œI watched all of Port Adelaide who were mightily disappointing, Iā€™ve got to say,ā€œ Cornes told SEN Breakfast on Friday. ā€œA few concerns about Port Adelaide ā€¦ thereā€™s reason to be concerned, youā€™re looking for little (positive) nuggets and I couldnā€™t find many.ā€ Hinkley said his team was simply outplayed by the Dockers. ā€œWe need to be better than we performed today,ā€ Hinkley told reporters.
ā€œItā€˜s not so much concern because thatā€™s what trial games are about. They give you information and weā€™ve got to do something with the information.
ā€œDefensively they got through us a bit easily but mind you, a couple of those we gave up when we were pushing really hard and the game blew out a bit.ā€

ā€œItā€˜s not so much concern because thatā€™s what trial games are about. They give you information and weā€™ve got to do something with the information.

Lol, this is the guy who lost a prelim by 71 points, decided that he wouldn't do anything differently, then started the next season 0-5. Ken is not a guy who learns from mistakes and makes changes.

Do the same thing, but more!

Would prefer game style(S), thanks very much.
Wot, they only have one game style?
Oppo strategists will need an Enigma machine to nut it out.
I know the game style we will use. It is modelled on Barry Jones' spaghetti diagram for the knowledge nation, which Ken has obviously plagiarised. Ken has seen the diagram and thought ,"Yes!! All the key positional lines are there and the oppo will never sus the ball movement."
View attachment 1574368
That looks about right

I don't have the same opinion of Kingy though anyway. I think he's a mediocre commentator who bases a lot of his analysis on statistical data which is fine. It means IMO he hits the mark brilliantly on some stuff and allows confirmation bias to affect himself on other stuff. He's opinionated and I don't bag anyone that is so, if they back it with some info. It doesn't make him always right.

The key part here for mine is that in the last 2 excerpts I've seen of his, he is starting to actually identify our s**t gameplan and over rated defence. The fog is lifting on Hinkley's charade. He's a key figure in the media, and if this sort of line starts being pedalled more than not, it will only help heighten the awareness of everyone. Especially given the incredible blind eye that has been seemingly turned to Hinkley for a long time.

Anyone that watches us that doesn't realise our backline is not good, and is heavily benefitted by a s**t defensive gameplan, is still drinking the cool-aid. So these sort of comments are well overdue.
Any Port supporter with even a minor interest in the tactical side of the game should have seen the defence has been undersized for at least a decade, and for a bloke who makes his living commentating on the AFL King has taken a very long time to either wake up to it, or worse, hasn't bothered to point it out until he has detected the tide turning against kern, but I suspect he won't be Robinson Crusoe in that regard when the pin is eventually pulled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back