Create your 2016 state of origin teams

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't get all serious on me, I'm being light hearted. Realistically, the selectors would choose a more balanced side. Then, Vics would win. Like you said, agree to disagree.

I just can't take your team seriously with the Hill brothers and a young Cripps.
Yeah that's fine but realistically not all of those guys can get their 30-35 disposals in this game. So Brad Hills 10-12 touches will be just as effective, if not more so, than a Hannebery who is a much better player but isn't used to having to make the most of the few touches he would get.

That's my point, the WA team is just so well balanced, whereas Vic is just chock a block full of midfield talent, many of who have the exact same role, position and play style. Wouldn't gel well at all.

WA in a canter ;)

Cripps, Fyfe, Priddis would win clearances as they are the top clearance players in the comp only player that can match them is Danger but they have the others covered, all they have to do is slam it on the boot and get it inside 50 and WAs fwd line will dominate.

And lived in WA since he was 9. If you asked him he'd tell you that he's a WA lad.

It's where you spend most of the time between 13 and 18. Which was entirely in WA for him.
From 1993 onwards the rules very clearly covered where a player resided between the ages of 10 and 17. From AFL '96 (official AFL season guide):-

The eligibility rule for State of Origin football adopted by the AFL Commission in 1993 provides for a player to be tied to the State or Territory where he resided for the majority of time between the ages of 10 and 17.

AFL '99 has the exact same rule as that shown in the earlier AFL guide, so from 1993-1999 (the last year the games were played regularly) the rule did not change.
=================================================
I've seen Tom Mitchell selected in plenty of WA SoO lineups but he could only qualify for Victoria, as he was living there between the ages of 10 and 14/15:-

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/ash-thursday-20111120-1npfc.html

Mitchell's future was settled some time ago, too. At Ashburton, he was a little professional by the age of nine: super serious, always running, rarely saying too much and never mucking around. He moved to Perth at the end of the under-15 season when his father, 170-game Sydney player Barry, got a job with the Dockers, and decided last year to commit to the Swans rather than take up an offer to join Greater Western Sydney as a 17-year-old.

If we're talking contentious players, Eddie Betts is the one.

He's probably SA qualified using the 13-18 rule but he moved around a fair bit as a kid and we can't really be sure where he spent the majority of that time.
I'd love to know what the true story is with Eddie Betts, because I've heard so many different ones over the years regarding exactly when he moved from this state to that! Depending on which story I've read last I've changed him from WA to Victoria and back again a few times over the years, but I'd say it's most likely that he would belong to WA under proper SoO rules (10-17 rule)!

This story (from the excellent Blueseum site) is probably more likely to be credible than most of the others, and would suggest WA gets the nod over Victoria, it seems he would have been lucky to have spent a year in SA (between the ages of 10-17) so they don't get a look in:-

Eddie was born in Port Lincoln, South Australia, but spent most of his childhood in Kalgoorlie, WA. Although his first sporting interest was soccer, by his early teens he was playing junior Aussie Rules with the Mines Rovers club. His parents had separated when he was quite young, and in his early teens Eddie was convinced to further his promising junior career by moving back to Port Lincoln to live with his father, Eddie senior. There, he went to the local school and joined Mallee Park - a prominent club that had found success by attracting indigenous youngsters like Betts’ cousin Byron Pickett, Graham Johncock. and the Burgoyne brothers; Peter and Shaun. Football with the Peckers was fun and success on the field was routine – however the social activities outside of the club were a major distraction. As an impressionable 14 year-old, Betts fell in with the wrong crowd, and a series of incidents involving truancy, alcohol and trips to the Port Lincoln lock-up threatened to send him spiralling into a life of lost hopes and broken dreams.

When Eddie’s mother Cindy became aware of the situation, she made the life-changing decision to take him to Melbourne and enrol him in a TAFE program for promising indigenous footballers, run by former North Melbourne star Phil Krakouer. At first she wasn’t confident that her only son would agree to relocate, but to her delight he did, and by early 2001 mother and son had found a new home in the northern suburbs at Glenroy.

http://www.blueseum.org/Eddie+Betts

Yeah that's fine but realistically not all of those guys can get their 30-35 disposals in this game. So Brad Hills 10-12 touches will be just as effective, if not more so, than a Hannebery who is a much better player but isn't used to having to make the most of the few touches he would get.

That's my point, the WA team is just so well balanced, whereas Vic is just chock a block full of midfield talent, many of who have the exact same role, position and play style. Wouldn't gel well at all.

WA in a canter ;)
I got a feeling it doesn't matter who is playing for Victoria, you would still back WA :)

Dreamin Tyler, bloody dreamin mate.

Cripps, Fyfe, Priddis would win clearances as they are the top clearance players in the comp only player that can match them is Danger but they have the others covered, all they have to do is slam it on the boot and get it inside 50 and WAs fwd line will dominate.

Top 10 Centre clearance players in 16

Danger
Selwood
Cripps
Kennedy
Parker
Neale
Shuey
Steven
Viney
Shiel

I see 8 Victorians, Pretty sure Fyfe would have made the top 10 had he played but apart from Viney the best clearance players are Victorians

Danger
Selwood
Cripps
Kennedy
Parker
Neale
Shuey
Steven
Viney
Shiel

I see 8 Victorians, Pretty sure Fyfe would have made the top 10 had he played but apart from Viney the best clearance players are Victorians
Viney is a Victorian lad.

Danger
Selwood
Cripps
Kennedy
Parker
Neale
Shuey
Steven
Viney
Shiel

Dont want to snipe, I know you dont post willy nilly but how did Shiel get higher than Ward for clearance numbers?

Viney is a Victorian lad.

He moved to Adelaide at 14 or 15 and played for SA in the state carnivals then was drafted out of there. Not sure if he qualifies as a Croweater
Dont want to snipe, I know you dont post willy nilly but how did Shiel get higher than Ward for clearance numbers?

Did Ward miss any footy? It was total clearances not average. Think Priddis and Coniglio sneak in to the top 10 on averages

He moved to Adelaide at 14 or 15 and played for SA in the state carnivals then was drafted out of there. Not sure if he qualifies as a Croweater

Did Ward miss any footy? It was total clearances not average. Think Priddis and Coniglio sneak in to the top 10 on averages
Moved to Adelaide at 15, came back at 17 and played for Victoria in his draft year. He's a Vic lad.

You're right, but neither missed much footy.
After some reasearch on our site a real surprise to me that Shiel leads Ward narrowly on raw numbers 132-128 and 5.5 to 5.6 average per game. Cogs beat both with a 5.8 average.
I recall a club video through the year saying Shiel was second and assumed that was to Ward but maybe to Cogs.
From what I see it seems Ward is the inside bull and Shiel playing more outside last year, with Cogs more in a defensive role.
Moving to a higher seat for a better overall view this year, and maybe I need to.

Right now, every time of year we should be playing State of Origin football. Leave the Community series practice matches for the rest of the players to get their practice but the elite players of the league playing State of Origin 2 weekends in a row this time of year would be awesome for football in general. It is the one glaring missing thing from our football calendar that should be there as the most elite level of our game to celebrate and the best players aspire to play in of the best of the best.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Danger
Selwood
Cripps
Kennedy
Parker
Neale
Shuey
Steven
Viney
Shiel

1.Cripps
2.Kennedy
3.Neale
4.Ablett
5.Priddis
6.Danger
7.Shuey
8.Selwood
9.Wines
10. Gray
They are the top 10 for Clearances in 2016 so with a fit Fyfe W.A would have 2 of the top 3 so W.A would easily break even if not win the Clearances.
And Neale is from SA.

Last edited:
1.Cripps
2.Kennedy
3.Neale
4.Ablett
5.Priddis
6.Danger
7.Shuey
8.Selwood
9.Wines
10. Gray
They are the top 10 for Clearances in 2016 so with a fit Fyfe W.A would have 2 of the top 3 so W.A would easily break even if not win the Clearances.
And Neale is from SA.
Those aren't centre clearances, and 6 of the top 10 are from vic so I don't see your point

Those aren't centre clearances, and 6 of the top 10 are from vic so I don't see your point
Cant fit all 6 in at the center bounce at one time. My point is W.A would break even if not win the centre clearances and then have VIC covered up fwd and down back.

Cant fit all 6 in at the center bounce at one time. My point is W.A would break even if not win the centre clearances and then have VIC covered up fwd and down back.
It probably doesn't make a major difference but 7 of those players (not 6) are from Victoria in terms of their State of Origin.

1.Cripps
2.Kennedy
3.Neale
4.Ablett
5.Priddis
6.Danger
7.Shuey
8.Selwood
9.Wines
10. Gray

Western Australia
A fully fit squad:

FB: M.Adams (WB) | A.Rance (RIC) | E.Mackenzie (WCE)

B: B.Stratton (HAW) | J. McGovern (WCE) | H.Taylor (GEE)

C: M.Duncan (GEE) | P.Cripps (CAR) | B.Hill (HAW)

HF: J.Hogan (MEL) | L.Franklin (SYD) | H.Bennell (FRE)

F: M.Walters (FRE) | JJ.Kennedy (WCE) | J.Garlett (MEL)

FOLL: N.Naitanui (WCE) | M.Priddis (WCE) | N.Fyfe (FRE)

INTER: A.Sandilands (FRE) | D.Wells (NM) | T.Mitchell (SYD) | S.Coniglio (GWS)

EMERG: J.O'Meara (GC) | A.Swallow (NM) | C.Hooker (ESS)

E.Mack...NO

It probably doesn't make a major difference but 7 of those players (not 6) are from Victoria in terms of their State of Origin.

1.Cripps
2.Kennedy
3.Neale
4.Ablett
5.Priddis
6.Danger
7.Shuey
8.Selwood
9.Wines
10. Gray
With Fyfe fit this year he pushes one out.

Centre clearances don't define games though. Maybe with Fyfe Priddis and Cripps the WA midfield doesn't tackle just ball hunts and ends up getting sliced on the rebound

I'm sure a lot of things will be different this year. You can hardly just assume that the last placed Victorian on that list will drop out, perhaps Priddis will go into decline and he'll be the one to make way for Fyfe!!
True maybe Selwood will decline and Sheed and Coniglio make top ten.

Who knows my point is with those guys W.A can more than hold their own.

Yeah I agree, I wish we still had state of origin because Gawn Kennedy Danger and say Parker Vs NicNat Fyfe Cripps and Priddis is mouth watering

Remove this Banner Ad

Back