Opinion A monster reason for our unity and success thus far...

Remove this Banner Ad

We have all been talking about our successes to date and acknowledging the off field decisions after the debacle that was 2016. What is evident is the team seems united and really are playing for each other. Now Kiwi tiger, you may be able to correct me, but I believe the removal of leading teams from our club has been pivotal. I've never been a fan of it and believe it is more divisive than anything (anyone who has worked in corporate and done this will have an idea if what i am on about).
If anything it erodes morale and creates disfunction. The KISS philosophy at the club is a godsend, and i for one could not be happier. Mods, if i am incorrect, please delete.
What are other posters views on the leading teams approach?

Send from my ipad with righteous man power.

Wow this again today :(

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Morro and i have been discussing an intervention with you should your #eci hit 56%. We're worried about you bro.

My view on this is that I have no view on this.

Come on man, give me something you beautiful man.

I'll weigh in - have had no experience with leading teams but I have many years (sadly) in corporate and have listened to hundreds of sales/business/leadership coach knob jockeys.
Bottom line is that they are mostly full of s**t.
The ideology they spruk is a re-hash of what the last guy said which is a re-hash of what the last guy said.
Occasionally one has a revolutionary idea but that is very rare.
A mate of mine who has been a pro nrl player and now player manager talks to me a lot about the culture within a footy club.
Reckons it is a living and breathing thing and that simply following some egg-heads instruction book never works.

Happy we are paring things back at Tigerland.

Next step - bring back the pie night I say!!!

images

I'll weigh in - have had no experience with leading teams but I have many years (sadly) in corporate and have listened to hundreds of sales/business/leadership coach knob jockeys.
Bottom line is that they are mostly full of s**t.
The ideology they spruk is a re-hash of what the last guy said which is a re-hash of what the last guy said.
Occasionally one has a revolutionary idea but that is very rare.
A mate of mine who has been a pro nrl player and now player manager talks to me a lot about the culture within a footy club.
Reckons it is a living and breathing thing and that simply following some egg-heads instruction book never works.

Happy we are paring things back at Tigerland.

Next step - bring back the pie night I say!!!

Thing is with a thing like leading teams, it can get personal with unjustified cheap shots. It's a place where w***ers and snipers can come out. Long term it's not healthy.

Leading Teams is a croc of s**t and a cop out for people with a weak character.
It takes courage and conviction to iron out a problem with an individual - takes no gumption to pot shot people in front of a group.
That said there are other more important factors in our improved win-loss record.

We have all been talking about our successes to date and acknowledging the off field decisions after the debacle that was 2016. What is evident is the team seems united and really are playing for each other. Now Kiwi tiger, you may be able to correct me, but I believe the removal of leading teams from our club has been pivotal. I've never been a fan of it and believe it is more divisive than anything (anyone who has worked in corporate and done this will have an idea if what i am on about).
If anything it erodes morale and creates disfunction. The KISS philosophy at the club is a godsend, and i for one could not be happier. Mods, if i am incorrect, please delete.
What are other posters views on the leading teams approach?

Is Leading Teams Swahili for Brett Deledio?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From what I see - as evidenced by the manner of our wins (being outscored early and coming hard strong) - superior fitness has been a definite key in our success. But how did this come about?
Probably not allowed to comment on it much as it will ruffle feathers, but having the team 'up and about' during the pre-season and not treating the pre-season series as a shambles has been of huge benefit to us.
Our nonchalant efforts of recent years of sending a list largely comprised of rookies and second year players into battle like lambs to the slaughter in the first week of the pre-season, playing a senior team the second week and the half of them the third, has been of great detriment.
Blokes this season actualy look prepared (biggest example is Nankervis who has gone hell for leather from day one), instead of being underdone.
The previous two pre-seasons were botched and quite frankly a disgrace. A poor pre-season is generally reflected early in the season.
I have some reservations on our ability to overcome Melbourne and to a lesser extent Collingwood three weeks ago had we had the same preparation as the previous two years.
Elsewhere, attitude is a key factor. This group has a belief that it can win from any situation - and again - pre-season is part of that, and not throwing in the towel against Collingwood sticks out We played out the match and came from 50 down to almost steal it, whereas the temptation in previous years would have been to yank players off the field, put the cue in th rack and chip the ball around to avoid a further blowout.
So attitude, fitness and preparation are three of the chief reasons we are winning, along with the obvious upgrade in personnel.

From what I see - as evidenced by the manner of our wins (being outscored early and coming hard strong) - superior fitness has been a definite key in our success. But how did this come about?
Probably not allowed to comment on it much as it will ruffle feathers, but having the team 'up and about' during the pre-season and not treating the pre-season series as a shambles has been of huge benefit to us.
Our nonchalant efforts of recent years of sending a list largely comprised of rookies and second year players into battle like lambs to the slaughter in the first week of the pre-season, playing a senior team the second week and the half of them the third, has been of great detriment.
Blokes this season actualy look prepared (biggest example is Nankervis who has gone hell for leather from day one), instead of being underdone.
The previous two pre-seasons were botched and quite frankly a disgrace. A poor pre-season is generally reflected early in the season.
I have some reservations on our ability to overcome Melbourne and to a lesser extent Collingwood three weeks ago had we had the same preparation as the previous two years.
Elsewhere, attitude is a key factor. This group has a belief that it can win from any situation - and again - pre-season is part of that, and not throwing in the towel against Collingwood sticks out We played out the match and came from 50 down to almost steal it, whereas the temptation in previous years would have been to yank players off the field, put the cue in th rack and chip the ball around to avoid a further blowout.
So attitude, fitness and preparation are three of the chief reasons we are winning, along with the obvious upgrade in personnel.
Appreciate the extended response Goldy.

& I agree.
We got serious this year from October 1st.

I agree with the KISS thing. We have a HUGELY talented list. Our top end talent is the rival of any in the comp. Martin and Cotchin in the middle. Rance down back and Jack forward. The undisputed best backman in the comp, top 3-5 best forward and 2 of the top 10-15 mids in the comp (being conservative will the last 2). They have all thrived this season with a simpler, more direct gameplan.

Deal with everyone as individuals, understand them as people and then find ways to make them thrive in a team environment.

I agree with the KISS thing. We have a HUGELY talented list. Our top end talent is the rival of any in the comp. Martin and Cotchin in the middle. Rance down back and Jack forward. The undisputed best backman in the comp, top 3-5 best forward and 2 of the top 10-15 mids in the comp (being conservative will the last 2). They have all thrived this season with a simpler, more direct gameplan.

Deal with everyone as individuals, understand them as people and then find ways to make them thrive in a team environment.

A lot of football - a lot - is mental.
Don't underestimate the impact playing arguably th ebest full forward in the comp at full forward.
Novel, I know.
But as I said, the mental side of football is huge. What do you think Clarko, Roosy, the Scott brothers are thinking up in the coaches box in '16 watching Jack rack up possessions in the defensive half? What would you rather have, Jack mopping up the ball off the floor and kicking goals, or kicking to the wing?

Appreciate the extended response Goldy.

& I agree.
We got serious this year from October 1st.
I think many players were embarassed and went away in the off season steaming and stewing and then came back extra hungry. Certainly the hunger is apparent with chasing and tackling this year. Read an article that Jack, for example, is on his way to making as many tackles in half this season than he did the entirety of last season.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Leading Teams is a croc of s**t and a cop out for people with a weak character.
It takes courage and conviction to iron out a problem with an individual - takes no gumption to pot shot people in front of a group.
That said there are other more important factors in our improved win-loss record.

Which I acknowledged, however I disagree. I think leading teams eroded a mateship, team first environment. Put leading teams with a s**t game plan and it's a timebomb.
You and i heard stuff from behind the scenes, it wasn't healthy. Egos and self preservation with senior players deriding junior players.
Like i said in the OP, I think it was a critical decision in fixing our culture moving forward.

My observation is Leading Teams has had some successes within some organisations, and been less successful in others. But once the ball bounces, that stuff is a lot less relevant than things like fitness, gameplan and personnel.
So no, I don't believe this is decisive. It may (or may not) be a factor but it is not in my mind decisive.
I believe the two big differences have been the gameplan (or more to the point gamePLANS), and the team's ability to adapt when necessary.
There is a picture of the guy up there who I think may be the best recruit we've had in years.

A lot of football - a lot - is mental.

You only have to look at Geelong to see this. It pisses me off like nothing else. One of my best mates who I go to the footy with every week is a Cats supporter. We're both AFL Members and go to lots of neutral games. It's become a bit of a joke that he barracks for the Tigers whenever he rocks up to my games and I barrack for whoever Geelong plays in his games. God I gate Geelong and Joel Selwood! But they keep winning. I blame the umpires but I suspect there's more to it than that...........

Remove this Banner Ad

Back