Let's Reminisce on our club's recent success

Remove this Banner Ad

Grannies speak for themselves but that day in 17 will remain my greatest moment of sporting emotion.
Pandemonium that followed down Swan st few hours later is tattooed in my mind.
Beating our long time nemesis scats earlier was unforgettable as was 95k crowd v Giants.
19 gf was beautiful for the fact that I got to enjoy watching what a powerhouse club is like.
20 was great purely because it was against the cats and that look on salty was as satisfying as the end result.

Reckon there’s more to come….
Being lucky enough to get the chance to go to 3 GFs between 72 and 74 gave me a taste of ultimate success. The 69 flag I remember I had the job of cutting up the newspaper and displaying it on the back wall of the classroom. I was out of Melbourne in the early 80s. Not really following footy that much. The mid 90s were a good era for us. But I didn't see us win a final in 95, I saw the loss to brizzy 2001? Then north at the g 2015. It felt we just couldn't step up in finals. After 2016 I actually got quite zen in my viewing on tv. 2017 I got to the G for the prelim for a win. Amazing one sided crowd. That 37 year drought breaker is my standout. Good that all those players were life members.
I got to the GF up in Brisbane. Epic but nothing going on around Brisbane at all. The team was staying on the Gold coast but not worth driving up the next day.
Lambert and Edwards out tarranto and hopper in. We might give it a shake. Close games FFS, couldn't win on this year.
But great to see 5 or 6 players pushing and establishing themselves in the team this year.

I can’t decide whether I enjoyed Lynch laying out Danger with a shepherd as Dion snapped the winning goal in the 2019 Prelim, or Dusty shrugging off Dangerflog through pure strength to snap that ridiculous late goal in the 20 Granny more……….but I have noticed a recurring theme………..😉

I often reminisce over all our success, recent and otherwise. Sometimes I come up with a random statistical way of showing just how well we have done. This one I came up with while getting threatened with a ban on the “Have Geelong Become Too Powerful” thread on the main board for introducing facts to the discussion.

This is a ratio statistic, it is the ratio of Grand Finals won per losing final in my lifetime. So starting from the 1967 season. It shows how privileged Richmond supporters have actually been in my lifetime. And what I love about it is it also shows just how mentally feeble certain big noting clubs have been over my lifetime when it has counted. 😁
ClubGrand Finals won from 1967Losing Finals from 1967Ratio of Grand Finals won to losing finals from 1967
1. Richmond8(Carl x 2, Geel x 2, Coll, Adel, GWS, Nth Mel)161 Grand Final win per 2 losing finals 😍
2. Hawthorn12(North x 2, Eagles x 2, Geel x 2, St K, Ess, Carl, Fre, Syd, Melb,301 to 2.5
3. Brisbane3 (Coll x 2, Ess)121 to 4
4. Carlton8 (Coll x 3, Rich x 2, Ess, Haw, Geel,351 to 4.38
5. West Coast4 (Geel x 2, Syd, Coll)281 to 7
6. Essendon4(Haw x 2, Carl, Mel)311 to 7.75
7. Adelaide2(St K, Nth Mel)181 to 9
8. Geelong4(Pt Ad, Coll, St K, Syd)421 to 10.5
9. North Melbourne3(Haw, Syd, Carl)321 to 10.66
10. Port Adelaide1(Bris)141 to 14
11. Sydney/Sth Melbourne2(Eagles, Haw)301 to 15
12. Melbourne1(Bulldogs)151 to 15
13. Western Bulldogs/Footscray1(Syd)261 to 26
14. Collingwood1(Ess)421 to 42
Then follows the teams with no Premierships in my lifetime
15. Gold Coast00
16. GWS06
17. Fremantle010
18. St Kilda021

Take particular note of two big noting loud mouthed clubs here. Geelong sit 8th on this table because they are too fragile to convert their finals opportunities to winning Grand Finals at a respectable rate. Every time they played any of the top 7 teams above them in a GF….they lost, 0-6 their overall record. This is why I hold zero respect for those weak Richmond wannabes. They have never won a Grand Final in my lifetime v a team with a better Grand Final win to losing final ratio than Port Adelaide’s 1 to 14. And yet they are all over the main board giving it large about how great their club is. 🤣

Lollingwood, just 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 won one GF in my lifetime versus 42 losing finals. Mental pygmies. 😁

The famous bloods culture doesn’t seem to convert too well to a winning Grand Finals v losing finals ratio. 1 per 15.

I also can’t finish the post without comment on St Kilda’s zero Grand Finals won in my lifetime versus 21 finals lost.

clown-mcdonalds.gif

But look who sits atop the table with an amazing rate of 1 Grand Final won per 2 losing finals in my lifetime. Only the most maligned club of the AFL era…😍😍😍😍😍😍
deepika-padukone-bachna-ae-haseeno.gif

And Cats moron fans say they would have smashed us in the Preliminary Final. 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Last edited:
Good stuff!

But didn't the Pies also beat the Saints after the draw in 2010?

PS: who is that girl? She's won my heart with those dimples.

There is only one Grand Final every year and from where I stand, you either win it or you fail to win it. Mulligan matches don’t count. campaigners have won a single Grand Final in my lifetime, that is official as you can see in my table. 😁

The lass in the gif did have me also wondering if maybe she really really likes balding overweight selfish middle aged men. 🤣

Last edited:
For me it will always be the 2017 Grand Final and the whole build-up to it, including the finals (and the Freo and Saints games beforehand), where we just clicked into gear and suddenly became really scary.

- Round 1 in 2017 vs. Carlton, rocking up with no real expectations after a horrible 2016, but a little excitement from the preseason games and seeing us look fast and manic. My Dad and I commenting pre-game on how Dusty looked really slim through the hips/glutes and really fit, then him just absolutely ripping that game to shreds like the beast midfielder we always hoped we had. Prestia being everywhere, Caddy being a strong presence up forward, Nankervis being everywhere taking saving marks, the small forwards zipping around everywhere. We looked really good.

- Fast forward to the Freo game and tearing them apart in WA, then the Saints game and wrecking them too, with the whole crowd cheering on Dusty, still carrying the nerves that he might be leaving us for North. Locking in top 4 that day, then the news that week, FINALLY, that Dusty was staying.

- Then that finals series, my goodness. I remember being really nervous in 13/14/15 before the finals matches, although it didn't help I was living in Japan and had to watch through a paid subscription. But going to the 2017 first final vs. Geelong at the MCG, I was still a tad nervous but just really excited, there was some kind of buzz in the air that I can't describe. Maybe it's easy to say in hindsight but that whole Spring had that nice warm, calm feeling, but this hint that we were coming, that we were meant to be there. I went to both the QF and PF with my Dad, my Japanese partner, and a woman my Dad was seeing briefly who happened to be a Tiger supporter too. Wore the same undies (washed of course!) for good luck. The crowds, the atmosphere, the footy we played, just all amazing... Some key memories are hearing Geelong booed heavily on to the field, the manic pressure we showed all game especially early and that insane last quarter, then the noise at the Prelim and that first goal happening right off the first bounce, it was nuts. And then the start of the last quarter when Dusty came out to meet a ball, did some shimmy steps away from (I think) Corr, and slotted a goal. I almost burst into tears thinking we were about to be in a Grand Final...

- Spent all week leading up to the GF unable to work, I was by then just too nervous, and all I could do was keep refreshing the news to read about Cotchin, I was so scared he'd be suspended. The relief when he got off was crazy...

- Then the morning of the GF, I had tickets to the pre-game function at Punt Road with the same group, and Dad and I got tickets to the game in the MCC ballot (level 1 about halfway down to the fence) and he bought tickets for the woman and my Japanese partner so they could go too (cost him PLENTY), and they just happened to be sitting directly above us on level 2 or 3, and ironically right near one of the guys who had tried to overthrow the board before the 2017 season started (the small dude with the black bob hair). I woke up early that morning sick as a dog, either horrible nerves, gastro, or some food issue from my sister's triple-cheese Lasagne the night before, or a combination of them all... Was on the toilet all morning before leaving, rocked up to the pre-game function at Punt Road and had to keep going to the toilet there too, couldn't eat, somehow sipped on a beer, was just horrible, and I was in shirt and tie too... But miraculously the moment I walked through the MCG gates I instantly recovered, it was insane.
Then the game, I think I was cheering toward the heavens with each goal in that third quarter... And then the last quarter was tears, hugging strangers, just a blur. Then I left the G with Dad and we met the woman and my partner outside the gates, and I hugged my partner and nearly burst into tears again, I had been saying Adelaide would be too strong all week and that we were only a small chance maybe, and to walk out having won the flag, it was just amazing...

As great as 19 and 20 were, nothing will ever top 17, winning it out of nowhere and all the different things leading up to it. So, so special. And the fact that it was 17, the iconic Richmond number, it was just meant to be hey :)

For me it will always be the 2017 Grand Final and the whole build-up to it, including the finals (and the Freo and Saints games beforehand), where we just clicked into gear and suddenly became really scary.

- Round 1 in 2017 vs. Carlton, rocking up with no real expectations after a horrible 2016, but a little excitement from the preseason games and seeing us look fast and manic. My Dad and I commenting pre-game on how Dusty looked really slim through the hips/glutes and really fit, then him just absolutely ripping that game to shreds like the beast midfielder we always hoped we had. Prestia being everywhere, Caddy being a strong presence up forward, Nankervis being everywhere taking saving marks, the small forwards zipping around everywhere. We looked really good.

- Fast forward to the Freo game and tearing them apart in WA, then the Saints game and wrecking them too, with the whole crowd cheering on Dusty, still carrying the nerves that he might be leaving us for North. Locking in top 4 that day, then the news that week, FINALLY, that Dusty was staying.

- Then that finals series, my goodness. I remember being really nervous in 13/14/15 before the finals matches, although it didn't help I was living in Japan and had to watch through a paid subscription. But going to the 2017 first final vs. Geelong at the MCG, I was still a tad nervous but just really excited, there was some kind of buzz in the air that I can't describe. Maybe it's easy to say in hindsight but that whole Spring had that nice warm, calm feeling, but this hint that we were coming, that we were meant to be there. I went to both the QF and PF with my Dad, my Japanese partner, and a woman my Dad was seeing briefly who happened to be a Tiger supporter too. Wore the same undies (washed of course!) for good luck. The crowds, the atmosphere, the footy we played, just all amazing... Some key memories are hearing Geelong booed heavily on to the field, the manic pressure we showed all game especially early and that insane last quarter, then the noise at the Prelim and that first goal happening right off the first bounce, it was nuts. And then the start of the last quarter when Dusty came out to meet a ball, did some shimmy steps away from (I think) Corr, and slotted a goal. I almost burst into tears thinking we were about to be in a Grand Final...

- Spent all week leading up to the GF unable to work, I was by then just too nervous, and all I could do was keep refreshing the news to read about Cotchin, I was so scared he'd be suspended. The relief when he got off was crazy...

- Then the morning of the GF, I had tickets to the pre-game function at Punt Road with the same group, and Dad and I got tickets to the game in the MCC ballot (level 1 about halfway down to the fence) and he bought tickets for the woman and my Japanese partner so they could go too (cost him PLENTY), and they just happened to be sitting directly above us on level 2 or 3, and ironically right near one of the guys who had tried to overthrow the board before the 2017 season started (the small dude with the black bob hair). I woke up early that morning sick as a dog, either horrible nerves, gastro, or some food issue from my sister's triple-cheese Lasagne the night before, or a combination of them all... Was on the toilet all morning before leaving, rocked up to the pre-game function at Punt Road and had to keep going to the toilet there too, couldn't eat, somehow sipped on a beer, was just horrible, and I was in shirt and tie too... But miraculously the moment I walked through the MCG gates I instantly recovered, it was insane.
Then the game, I think I was cheering toward the heavens with each goal in that third quarter... And then the last quarter was tears, hugging strangers, just a blur. Then I left the G with Dad and we met the woman and my partner outside the gates, and I hugged my partner and nearly burst into tears again, I had been saying Adelaide would be too strong all week and that we were only a small chance maybe, and to walk out having won the flag, it was just amazing...

As great as 19 and 20 were, nothing will ever top 17, winning it out of nowhere and all the different things leading up to it. So, so special. And the fact that it was 17, the iconic Richmond number, it was just meant to be hey :)

Fantastic post Rob 🖤

Hey All,

Now that we are heading into the boring part of the season, I'd like to hear from fellow tigers about games or moments they remember since our flag winning years in 17,19 & 20.

I think its good to look back and remind ourselves how far our club has come in recent times.

For me was an amazing year, after the train wreck of 2016, it was something I would never have thought possible. Games that I remember fondly were:
Beating Freo by 100 points at Subi, living in Perth it was special to me as I had never witnessed a flogging like that since my time over here. The making of Townsend with 6 goals.
Knocking Geelong off in the Qualifying final after so many years of not being able to beat them, it was the game that had me believing and hoping.

Prelim v GWS @ G - I think I dont need to remind us why this holds a special place in our memories. :hearteyes:

Grand Final - the scenes, Richo sooking like everyone of us were. The Flag, "Tigertime".

I think the West Coast game at the G that year was close to the game of the year. I also reckon we broke the Eagles a little bit that day, they threw everything at us, we went on to greatness, they stumbled and wasted their season after this match.

Prelim v Geelong

How sweet is it to beat the cats in finals, Geelong still never took us seriously at the point in time, Scott would often make comments to down play our performances. This game was as sweet as they come

Grand Final v GWS

As a grand final, its exactly how you want it to go if you win. A no contest just pure celebration. This one for me was still important, it confirmed what we all knew in 2017 that yes, we were the best team in the comp, not a one year wonder like many opposition fans tried to tell us after bowing out in 2018.

Covid season, there was so much that could have derailed the season, seemed like every week the media were getting stuck into us about something, from being Bullies, to being arrogant, to unacceptable behaviour in the changerooms after games. Tom Lynch & Cotchin were a thugs, Grimes was a diver. You name it, we copped it.

This I remember fondly from this season was our away win against Port Adelaide in the Prelim, if it makes Kane Cornes sook about a deliberate free kick rightly paid, then its a job well done.

Then to go on and become the first side to ever win a grand final away from the G will go down into the record books and once again to do it against Geelong was oh so sweet considering that thug Dangerfield knocked Vlastuin out early in the game too.

I know I've picked on the elite games over the years but I'd be interested to hear of funny stories or moments you guys all remember, that made these years so good.

No time, we have unfinished business and I always look forward

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For me 2020 was the best, it was definitely the most high stakes GF, we were going for the b2b which we cooked in 2018 and it cemented a dynasty of 3 in 4 beating cats 3 in 5. Not to mention it was also against the cats in a come from behind win with Dusty getting the record breaking 3rd norm smith shrugging of Dangerfield AND the whole season was away. I don’t think I’ve ever felt that sheer relief before. Losing 2020 would have been absolutely devastating especially with our 2021 season. We’d just be another good team and be forgotten in the record books.

I’m a little younger so I didn’t experience the long drought as much but in 2017 I had no expectations, there was always next year. 3 in 4 is something we may not see again. But 4 in 7 will be better ;)

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

For me 2020 was the best, it was definitely the most high stakes GF, we were going for the b2b which we cooked in 2018 and it cemented a dynasty of 3 in 4 beating cats 3 in 5. Not to mention it was also against the cats in a come from behind win with Dusty getting the record breaking 3rd norm smith shrugging of Dangerfield AND the whole season was away. I don’t think I’ve ever felt that sheer relief before. Losing 2020 would have been absolutely devastating especially with our 2021 season. We’d just be another good team and be forgotten in the record books.

I’m a little younger so I didn’t experience the long drought as much but in 2017 I had no expectations, there was always next year. 3 in 4 is something we may not see again. But 4 in 7 will be better ;)

5 in 8

Ye of little faith. Richmond will do a threepeat next decade. 2030's will be even better than what we've witnessed.

Mate, I reckon plenty of Richmond supporters through "oh no" when Adelaide kicked two in a row in the last quarter......

I usually think that way, but in the 17 GF when we kicked the first two goals in the last quarter, I remember thinking they are going to have to kick 7 goals just to catch up and they haven’t kicked 7 for the whole match so far, so I think we might have this.
Great day!

No time, we have unfinished business and I always look forward

You need to sit back, reflect and enjoy the good times Magic.

A big element of nostalgia isn't about us retreating to the past. It's about us pulling the past forward to the present.

Last edited:
You need to sit back, reflect and enjoy the good times Magic.

A big element of nostalgia isn't about us retreating to the past. It's about us pulling the past forward to the present.

You need to reflect on the bad times, a little longer than these recent good times, we have unfinished business.

Part of succeeding in life is not putting limits on yourself.

It is easier to reflect and saviour when its over. I am not quitting yet and I am not ready to put the que in the rack yet even if it means bringing a long a few more youngsters for the ride

Remove this Banner Ad

Back