List Mgmt. 2017 - Trading and Free Agency

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mate salary cap space had nothing to do with it at all.

The kids went to Clarko begging to go home because he understandably misses his family and wanted to play with his brother.

That's the kind of club we are and even though we got unders because that's the kind of club you are, it's good to see him home and happy.

What's with all the passive aggressiveness? I'm not trying to step on anyone's toes and I wasn't complaining :)

We did get a bargain in B.Hill (with hindsight), he has improved though. He's never averaged these numbers before. Sometimes you think you are getting a bargain (Lewis Jetta / Colin Sylvia), and they regress.

We don't need lockdown defenders. Despite a mini resurgence, we are still light on for talent in the youngsters. We need to keep the vast majority of our good young players. Of the quartet, Stewart fills a need, but it the least accomplished. The most experienced player Stratton (likely most value - debateable) is not in an area of need. Both Tucker and Balic are required, they have played in the 22 together I think and don't fill similar needs. They also have big scope for improvement, as does Stewart, not sure Stratton does.

Playing a GF tomorrow you select Stratton, by next year, and in particular in 3-5 years time, Tucker, Balic and probably Stewart (don't see him play often enough to know) will be adding more value.

The kids went to Clarko begging to go home because he understandably misses his family and wanted to play with his brother.

That's the kind of club we are and even though we got unders because that's the kind of club you are, it's good to see him home and happy.
Thanks , do you honestly think freo management will read your suggestion in BF . Passive aggressiveness from me or not.

Fair club to deal with, like the Hodge Croad swappy thingy you pulled?? You may think your team is fair to deal with, but I would say most people on this board still have a sour taste in their mouths 15 years later....

Fair club to deal with, like the Hodge Croad swappy thingy you pulled?? You may think your team is fair to deal with, but I would say most people on this board still have a sour taste in their mouths 15 years later....

It is not as simple as that mate and you're twisting it to suit a your point.
That trade consisted of the following:
HAWTHORN
Trent Croad - 3rd pick, 1997 National Draft
Luke McPharlin - 10th pick, 1999 National Draft

FREMANTLE
Picks 1, 20 and 36

While yes it is acknowledged that Trent Croad did in fact come back home to VIC at the end of 2003 due to homesickness we gave you guys pick 10 back in exchange and also you neglected the fact that Luke McPharlin was traded to you guys due to, you guessed it "homesickness" so it's a little unfair that your still sour on this trade because with the initial trade you considered both parties considered it a WIN-WIN and your club initiated the trade and when we traded Trent Croad back he had noticeably declined in form yet we still sent back pick 10 in return which was in fact a "fair trade" given his rapid decline in form.

Other points worth noting:

- While Croad was reasonable but not spectacular at the Dockers, in 2002, he was Fremantle's leading goalkicker with 42 goals.
- The following season his form did drop off significantly and he only kicked 18 goals and requested the trade home at the end of that season.
This is simply a trade that unfortunately for you guys didn't work out the way you had hoped that it would and the fact hat 15 years later you are still dirty on it says more about yourselves than it does us.

It is common knowledge that Luke McPharlin ended up being a great of your club who gave you guys almost 15 years of service and was a great player.

- McPharlin played his 200th AFL game in Round 13, 2012 against Essendon. That season, he was named in the All-Australian team as a defender.
- McPharlin departed Fremantle sitting second on the club's games record list with 244, behind only Matthew Pavlich (335)
- In 2005, McPharlin garnered Mark of the Year honours for his spectacular chestmark against the West Coast Eagles in Round Three.

It is seriously time that you got over this because if the tables were turned you would be laughing your backside off.

I know that some of our supporters do make fun of you guys for this trade but I'm not one of them and I do honestly feel that at the time it was a fair and reasonable trade and when it didn't work out you still got a decent return for Croad when we could have totally stitched you up, once again proving that we are in fact "fair" to deal with.

That is not me bragging that is me stating a fact, a fact which as I previously stated is actually not exactly a good thing at times.

Yes they are and yes they have, however that starting 22 that you speak of is a rebuilding side that's had multiple retirements and injuries which has opened the door for these kids.

They've played 18 and 4 games respectively and from my recollection when one of the pair play, the other is omitted which shows that at least one of the pair is excess to needs because they play a similar role.

Also there is no underrating of these kids here, if anything I'm showing them and your club respect by putting the idea forward and putting a 150 game, triple premiership player in the scenario.

Wouldn't he better suit the lockdown role and from what I've seen you do have decent rebounders (do agree that it is a still a point of weakness though) also believe that Kade Stewart would be ideal in your forward line, he is greatly respected here but given our vast number of small/defensive forwards he's finding it hard to get a consistent game (he has played the same number of games as Harley Balic though and shown a little more) and he has been likened to a Rioli/Puopolo and combined with Ballantyne would cause some serious chaos for the opposition.

It also wouldn't be "robbing you of two youngsters", that probably isn't the best way to look at it. You would be swapping two promising young players (that are essentially competing for the same spot) for a proven triple premiership player that would instantly make you a noticeably better side while also bringing in another young and promising young player that would help fill a deficiency on your list.

Remember that Balic has only just been able to inconsistently brake into your side (yes injury kept him out initially but he's been fit and ready to go for a while now and is still in and out of the side) and you use your draft picks to recruit another better suited to and/or better fits your side.

There would be no "homesickness factor" with these two players because well, they would be coming back home.

This was just a scenario that I thought could be good to float around and if anything it would be us that would be losing more in the short term but given our current situation we may not have too much of a choice.

Anyway take it easy and good luck with the season mate!

First of all. We're in a rebuild so Stratton (who I do rate as A grade) just isn't worth it for us. If he ever wanted to come home WC would want/need him more than us. We also have Luke Ryan slowly building in the 2's who could be anything. Kade Stewart may be good but we've got a few here who can do that same role without the need of a trade.

Balic who is my buddy will be an absolute superstar for whichever team he plays the bulk of his footy for. I still wholeheartedly believe that's going to be Freo. We've fixed up his wrist with the long winded approach and it's paid dividends. His first taste of league footy was WAFL finals which he played brilliantly. He's won a WAFL premiership and by all reports the club rates him immensely high. We've played him in every game he can play this season after ditching the old brigade in rounds 1&2. He missed a game due to sickness and then we bought him straight back for the derby when we easily could've gone Suban (lol), D.Pearce etc. So to state he inconsistently couldn't break into the side is fake news. I appreciate your input but I respectfully 100% disagree Stewart has shown more. I've been Balics biggest fan since the draft and was stoked we got him. I honestly was pissed we picked Tucker over him with our first pick but when we managed to get both I was wrapped.

As for your B.Hill question, he probably won't win it but at this point in time realistically should be top 5. One of the better pick ups by us and I agree we paid unders for him.

While I do agree with the bulk of this (mainly with the part that Tucker has held his worth and not fluctuated either way, I am baffled as to why you think that Balic has gained any value when he was taken lower down the draft and played about a fifth the amount of games.

I would have valued him to be worth anywhere between 35-45 and Tucker to be worth 25-35 even though we gave up Bradley Hill for pick 23 we are always a fair club to deal with which to be honest is something that I consider to be a fault because other clubs are aware and do try to take advantage.

Balic dropped in the draft because he was injured, he has gotten over his injury and shown good form in the AFL. Based on that his value has risen.

pick up another WA kid who has much promise

Who is the other kid? I am sure you mentioned him earlier but I can't find it.

Tucker and Balic are two of our most promising youngsters in their second year, full of potential. Already playing best 22 football.

Not interested in giving up a couple of guys who were named top ten at one point in Cal Twomey's rankings prior to their draft.

Both are required and fully supported players in my view.

Tucker is currently on the same workload progression as Blakely was last season, next year he will be on ground for 70-80% of the games and impact far more. I won't be happy trading that player.

Balic is effectively a year behind but had the athletic profile of an even more damaging player that we wouldn't have had a look at if he didn't have a potentially career ending injury on draft day but we took a punt and stand fortunate to reap the reward. I won't be happy trading that player.

There are players on our list I can stomach letting go but our future is with our young talent.

It is not as simple as that mate and you're twisting it to suit a your point.
That trade consisted of the following:
HAWTHORN
Trent Croad - 3rd pick, 1997 National Draft
Luke McPharlin - 10th pick, 1999 National Draft

FREMANTLE
Picks 1, 20 and 36

While yes it is acknowledged that Trent Croad did in fact come back home to VIC at the end of 2003 due to homesickness we gave you guys pick 10 back in exchange and also you neglected the fact that Luke McPharlin was traded to you guys due to, you guessed it "homesickness" so it's a little unfair that your still sour on this trade because with the initial trade you considered both parties considered it a WIN-WIN and your club initiated the trade and when we traded Trent Croad back he had noticeably declined in form yet we still sent back pick 10 in return which was in fact a "fair trade" given his rapid decline in form.

Other points worth noting:

- While Croad was reasonable but not spectacular at the Dockers, in 2002, he was Fremantle's leading goalkicker with 42 goals.
- The following season his form did drop off significantly and he only kicked 18 goals and requested the trade home at the end of that season.
This is simply a trade that unfortunately for you guys didn't work out the way you had hoped that it would and the fact hat 15 years later you are still dirty on it says more about yourselves than it does us.

It is common knowledge that Luke McPharlin ended up being a great of your club who gave you guys almost 15 years of service and was a great player.

- McPharlin played his 200th AFL game in Round 13, 2012 against Essendon. That season, he was named in the All-Australian team as a defender.
- McPharlin departed Fremantle sitting second on the club's games record list with 244, behind only Matthew Pavlich (335)
- In 2005, McPharlin garnered Mark of the Year honours for his spectacular chestmark against the West Coast Eagles in Round Three.

It is seriously time that you got over this because if the tables were turned you would be laughing your backside off.

I know that some of our supporters do make fun of you guys for this trade but I'm not one of them and I do honestly feel that at the time it was a fair and reasonable trade and when it didn't work out you still got a decent return for Croad when we could have totally stitched you up, once again proving that we are in fact "fair" to deal with.

That is not me bragging that is me stating a fact, a fact which as I previously stated is actually not exactly a good thing at times.
Boy you sure have been busy. Joined BF yesterday and already you've been on Adelaide, Port Adelaide, Freo and Gold Coast's drafting/trading threads.

This clown has suggested Adelaide trading Lever AND their second round draft pick for Burton (who he says could be better than Roughead and Franklin).

Port trade away their young talent for two SA KPP's on Hawthorn's list (didn't catch who precisely).

Gold Coast trade away their young talent for Gunston and Frawley.

Freo trade Balic and Tucker for an ageing Stratton and a #36 rookie drafted Stewart.

Only thirteen clubs to go and you'll have the full set.

Oh and I forgot..."definitely make you a better side and was only trying to offer some honest and serious input, sorry if offended." (Or something similar on each board. And a :) to go with every other post).

Adios amigo, don't let the door hit your arse on the way out.

Last edited:
Tucker and Balic are two of our most promising youngsters in their second year, full of potential. Already playing best 22 football.

Not interested in giving up a couple of guys who were named top ten at one point in Cal Twomey's rankings prior to their draft.

Both are required and fully supported players in my view.

Tucker is currently on the same workload progression as Blakely was last season, next year he will be on ground for 70-80% of the games and impact far more. I won't be happy trading that player.

Balic is effectively a year behind but had the athletic profile of an even more damaging player that we wouldn't have had a look at if he didn't have a potentially career ending injury on draft day but we took a punt and stand fortunate to reap the reward. I won't be happy trading that player.

There are players on our list I can stomach letting go but our future is with our young talent.

Hahahahaha! Cal Twomey.

Those phantom drafts don't mean a whole lot you do realize that?

If that's the case the Ryan Burton is worth the Number One Pick at this years draft!

I do understand your saying that they are both required players and both do have upside however they are essentially two players competing for the same spot hence why they've only played together in the same side once.

I may feel the same if I was a Fremantle supporter also but I do honestly feel that this trade would make you a better side but each to their own opinion I guess.

It would just be a shame to see you possibly lose another player for nothing when you could possibly benefit from the situation.

Also if Kade Stewart was approached by your club last year then there is obviously some interest there, he is a seriously talented kid but as previously stated our forward line has been nearly impossible to break into so cementing a spot in that same line up is going to be even harder a task.

Good luck for the weekend and hope you guys come out and smash the Blues!

It would just be a shame to see you possibly lose another player for nothing when you could possibly benefit from the situation.

If we were to lose Balic due to home sickness and mental health I won't care much for our compensation. First and formost I want this kid playing good footy. I still firmly believe that will be 250+ games for Freo.

Boy you sure have been busy. Joined BF yesterday and already you've been on Adelaide, Port Adelaide, Freo and Gold Coast's drafting/trading threads.

This clown has suggested Adelaide trading Lever AND their second round draft pick for Burton (who he says could be better than Roughead and Franklin).

Port trade away their young talent for two SA KPP's on Hawthorn's list (didn't catch who precisely).

Gold Coast trade away their young talent for Gunston and Frawley.

Freo trade Baltic and Tucker for an ageing Stratton and a #36 rookie drafted Stewart.

Only thirteen clubs to go and you'll have the full set.

Oh and I forgot..."definitely make you a better side and was only trying to offer some honest and serious input, sorry if offended." (Or something similar on each board. And a :) to go with every other post).

Adios amigo, don't let the door hit your arse on the way out.

Boy those grapes must really be sour, you didn't respond to one part of that post.

Even when the truth is put right in front of you, your negativity and immaturity still persists.

I still don't get all the angst by so many people here (that's directed at BF in general not just you guys) because your season is going well so just smile and enjoy it :)

If we were to lose Balic due to home sickness and mental health I won't care much for our compensation. First and formost I want this kid playing good footy. I still firmly believe that will be 250+ games for Freo.

That is the most respectful and rational post I've ever read from any of you guys and you've got my respect for telling it how it is!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hahahahaha! Cal Twomey.

Those phantom drafts don't mean a whole lot you do realize that?

If that's the case the Ryan Burton is worth the Number One Pick at this years draft!

I do understand your saying that they are both required players and both do have upside however they are essentially two players competing for the same spot hence why they've only played together in the same side once.

I may feel the same if I was a Fremantle supporter also but I do honestly feel that this trade would make you a better side but each to their own opinion I guess.

Also if Kade Stewart was approached by your club last year then there is obviously some interest there, he is a seriously talented kid but as previously stated our forward line has been nearly impossible to break into so cementing a spot in that same line up is going to be even harder a task.

Good luck for the weekend and hope you guys come out and smash the Blues!
Burton is the same sort of case as Balic. Not interested in giving up our value players for less from another team, not interested in fixing another team's massive young talent hole.

Hawthorn is like a guy driving across the country in a shitbomb car, selling the spare tyre and the cassette player for 5lt of fuel and banana. There is nothing of value there. The wheels are about to fall off.

If Hawthorn were offering Stratton & Stewart for Tucker & Balic, I would take it.
Stratton is far from past it at 28/9 & Kade will be a very good player in the (near) future.
Tucker looks ok, but not great to me, Balic shows a bit more upside, but if he wants to go then I would be doing what we can to get him home.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

If Hawthorn were offering Stratton & Stewart for Tucker & Balic, I would take it.
Stratton is far from past it at 28/9 & Kade will be a very good player in the (near) future.
Tucker looks ok, but not great to me, Balic shows a bit more upside, but if he wants to go then I would be doing what we can to get him home.

Fair enough . too bad is not up to us.

Man, I can understand coming from a Hawthorn supporter, but how can you possibly be happy with that trade. Tucker is a second year player and only getting 50-60% game time and putting in decent games, will only get better. Balic, if he does go home would unfortunately go nowhere near his worth but you want to trade them for Stratton, who fills a role we are completely stacked in and a rookie picked player who has shown next to nothing?

Man, I can understand coming from a Hawthorn supporter, but how can you possibly be happy with that trade. Tucker is a second year player and only getting 50-60% game time and putting in decent games, will only get better. Balic, if he does go home would unfortunately go nowhere near his worth but you want to trade them for Stratton, who fills a role we are completely stacked in and a rookie picked player who has shown next to nothing?
In fairness, maybe I have not seen enough of Tucker & am under-rating him.
Stratton is what he is. A valuable member of a 3 time flag winning backline, so to me he has currency. While we have strength in our backline, I am not overly convinced about the depth & I would have Stratton over say an Ibbo any day.
As far as Balic goes, well we have clearly adopted a policy of getting WA boys home wherever possible, and standing in Balic's way would not be good (IMHO).
I think you are being a bit unfair on Stewart "showing nothing". As was mentioned, Hawthorn have a pretty good small forward line ATM & he has been up against the likes of Poppy & Delicious for a full time role there. With a pretty long term injury now to Cyril, hopefully he gets a run in the 1's. He has been playing pretty consistent good footy for Box Hill, getting good numbers. He has plenty of upside and I'd be happy to see him wearing the chevrons.

In fairness, maybe I have not seen enough of Tucker & am under-rating him.
Stratton is what he is. A valuable member of a 3 time flag winning backline, so to me he has currency. While we have strength in our backline, I am not overly convinced about the depth & I would have Stratton over say an Ibbo any day.
As far as Balic goes, well we have clearly adopted a policy of getting WA boys home wherever possible, and standing in Balic's way would not be good (IMHO).
I think you are being a bit unfair on Stewart "showing nothing". As was mentioned, Hawthorn have a pretty good small forward line ATM & he has been up against the likes of Poppy & Delicious for a full time role there. With a pretty long term injury now to Cyril, hopefully he gets a run in the 1's. He has been playing pretty consistent good footy for Box Hill, getting good numbers. He has plenty of upside and I'd be happy to see him wearing the chevrons.

In fairness back, I have not seen a lot of Stewart, maybe he's better than what I'm rating but if he's not getting a go somewhere in that Hawks team at the moment he cant be all that hot. Adding to that, Stratton is outside the required age bracket. He might have 3-4 years left if we were lucky but I dont think we should be trading best 22 youth for a guy that is "depth" and will at best play 80 games for us

I'd take Stewart in a straight swap for one of them tbh (ok maybe a bit of swapping of picks to even up the trade in our favour). Both don't really have much much value - like Stewart so better to get a decent young player. Stratton no real interest tbh. Too old for us. If Hawthorn wanted both they'd need to give us a draft pick or convince a Victorian youngster to head west which would be unlikely tbh. I've got the feeling that neither will pick Hawthorn anyway tbh whether that means staying at Freo or moving to another Victorian side. Stewart and Freo however could be a good fit but it's the first I've heard of any rumour. Stratton to Freo is zero chance.

I think Tucker and Balic would have similar values to what they were drafted at tbh. We may get a second rounder from a team in the eight but may have to settle for an early third. Stewart was drafted as a rookie but would've increased in value. Probably worth a third rounder tbh.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'd take Stewart in a straight swap for one of them tbh (ok maybe a bit of swapping of picks to even up the trade in our favour). Both don't really have much much value - like Stewart so better to get a decent young player. Stratton no real interest tbh. Too old for us. If Hawthorn wanted both they'd need to give us a draft pick or convince a Victorian youngster to head west which would be unlikely tbh. I've got the feeling that neither will pick Hawthorn anyway tbh whether that means staying at Freo or moving to another Victorian side. Stewart and Freo however could be a good fit but it's the first I've heard of any rumour. Stratton to Freo is zero chance.

I think Tucker and Balic would have similar values to what they were drafted at tbh. We may get a second rounder from a team in the eight but may have to settle for an early third. Stewart was drafted as a rookie but would've increased in value. Probably worth a third rounder tbh.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
dude, no

That deal is a team getting Brad Hill for Chris Mayne level of stupid. Both will be jets for our club for 10 years. Stratton has 3-4 years left (of grade A footy) and Stewart has as much question marks on him as Deluca. Neither should even be mentioned in a trade unless they specifically request it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back