Oppo Camp Non-Essendon Thread XI

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

and they got it in the end. Seems if you were a bulldogs player tonight 2016 htb rules applied where as geelong got the 2017 "knocked out" play on treatment.

That + an actual kick was HTB :drunk:

and they got it in the end. Seems if you were a bulldogs player tonight 2016 htb rules applied where as geelong got the 2017 "knocked out" play on treatment.

I'm not one that usually buys in to umpire influence, but I agree with that. It's the one sided home crowd factor, just like Perth and Adelaide.

No wonder the Cats want more games down there

Yeah the umpiring is driving me nuts this year, we all got accustomed to the quick holding the ball decisions without prior opp because the afl wanted more free kicks to avoid congestion even though incorrect disposal hasnt existed for a few years, but this year holding the ball has been non existent. Unless you are a hometown team in perth and now geelong.....

I'm not one that usually buys in to umpire influence, but I agree with that. It's the one sided home crowd factor, just like Perth and Adelaide.

No wonder the Cats want more games down there

Umpires influence games they dont intend too but it happens every week. Mostly its like you said the hometown crowd influencing them sometimes its just their incompetence.

We actually got a good run against the cats last week but it was consistent with the 2017 no holding the ball decision unless beyond obvious mantra they have but I thought a lot of 50/50 calls went our way for once.

Umpires influence games they dont intend too but it happens every week. Mostly its like you said the hometown crowd influencing them sometimes its just their incompetence.

We actually got a good run against the cats last week but it was consistent with the 2017 no holding the ball decision unless beyond obvious mantra they have but I thought a lot of 50/50 calls went our way for once.

I've never thought it's a conscious thing with the umps, it just happens when there is such a one sided crowd. I'm a big NBA fan - the difference in playing home or away in terms of the calls you get is palpable.

It's not deliberate, they're just human - but it's a big advantage if you have a raucous home crowd, no doubt about it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Accurate, but perhaps redundant. But then pretty much all commentary is redundant so long as you can see the TV anyway.

Sometimes calling the players names is great.

It's even better when they call the right name.

It's the one thing I'll say in defence of McAvaney - he's one of the few who actually knows who he's looking at.

Sometimes calling the players names is great.

It's even better when they call the right name.

It's the one thing I'll say in defence of McAvaney - he's one of the few who actually knows who he's looking at.
Yeah haha. I remember one game where Conor McKenna was called everything under the sun except "McKenna". O'Conor, McConor, O'Kenna even. And I'm not talking about last week when there was an Irish O'Conor playing for Geelong :p It was last year sometime.

If there's one thing about professional commentators, it's that they actually have to be halfway decent to get and keep their jobs. If there are issues with that then I'm blaming the producers, who seem to be actively encouraging the boys club in the channel 7 commentary box.

Yeah haha. I remember one game where Conor McKenna was called everything under the sun except "McKenna". O'Conor, McConor, O'Kenna even. And I'm not talking about last week when there was an Irish O'Conor playing for Geelong :p It was last year sometime.

If there's one thing about professional commentators, it's that they actually have to be halfway decent to get and keep their jobs. If there are issues with that then I'm blaming the producers, who seem to be actively encouraging the boys club in the channel 7 commentary box.
Yep, at times people defend them by saying 'oh so they don't remember the names of all 600 players', but the thing is a lot of footy fans would have greater knowledge of players and be able to name most players they see - and this is the commentators' job, literally, and it wouldn't take them that much effort or time to recognise each player. WTF are they doing during the week when this is their job and they've doing it for years? The AFL and the TV stations should really demand higher standards. Most of them don't give a s**t about and don't understand footy, they just get involved because it's an easy career path as an ex player and following footy is what blokes do, even if they don't comprehend it. It's why I think flawed pundits like Dermott Brereton and Mark Robinson who at least genuinely care about footy deserve less flak.

Selwood with the class! Grabbed a girl out of the crowd to take a photo with :)
f35e9a67c62592c0d25d2c3c82225441.jpg

Yep, at times people defend them by saying 'oh so they don't remember the names of all 600 players', but the thing is a lot of footy fans would have greater knowledge of players and be able to name most players they see - and this is the commentators' job, literally, and it wouldn't take them that much effort or time to recognise each player. WTF are they doing during the week when this is their job and they've doing it for years? The AFL and the TV stations should really demand higher standards. Most of them don't give a s**t about and don't understand footy, they just get involved because it's an easy career path as an ex player and following footy is what blokes do, even if they don't comprehend it. It's why I think flawed pundits like Dermott Brereton and Mark Robinson who at least genuinely care about footy deserve less flak.
You make some good points. Despite being a bit of a knob Mark Robinson definitely has enormous passion for the game and knows his footy.

Plus he called Huddo a "wanke*" on AFL 360. Worth you tubing that one :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back