Review Good/Bad v Fremantle, Round 10

From The Age:

ADELAIDE 5.9 9.18 16.21 20.23 (143)
FREMANTLE 1.0 2.1 4.2 6.7 (43)
GOALS: Adelaide - Otten 4, Cameron 3, Betts 3, Jenkins 3, Milera 3, Sloane 2, Jacobs, Walker. Fremantle - Tucker 2, Weller 2, McCarthy, Fyfe.
BEST: Adelaide - M Crouch, B Crouch, Jacobs, Lever, Sloane, Atkins. Fremantle - Weller, Blakely, Fyfe, Neale, Ibbotson, Spurr.
UMPIRES: Foot, Hosking, McInerney.
CROWD: 42,415 at Adelaide Oval.

Just one quarter doesn't make a season, but Adelaide's opening during one of the heaviest rain bursts imaginable on Adelaide Oval reminded us there is something special about them."
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ma...rushed-by-ruthless-crows-20170527-gwenxx.html

BEST: Adelaide - M Crouch, B Crouch, Jacobs, Lever, Sloane, Atkins.

How often do you win by 100 and not one of your forwards was in your best?

If we can get this group in the best players each game, we win the flag. Simples.

Does squiggle always have issues? https://live.squiggle.com.au/ if you view the forecast it has us losing 6 games but if you go through the predicted results it actually only has us losing one more game for the year and thats against the Cats next week by 1 point.

So really squiggle thinks were going to win 19 games for the year

Not sure how anyone can take anything negative away from last night's game.

You can downplay our opposition all you want but truth be told they were 6-3, 5th on the ladder, having won 6 of their last 7, including knocking off last year's premiers.

Not saying they are a top 4 side but they are a competitive side who will be in that finals mix come season's end. They also have a very talented midfield.

As I have said in numerous posts before this game, last night was a better indication of where we are at. We brought that high intensity, high pressure, skillful footy that many people thought we lacked..... 'soft as butter' was used a bit on here. We smashed them in all facets of the game and especially where it counted.... in the mid. You may criticize what freo dished up, but they only dished up what we allowed them to. It was a complete 4 quarter performance that was nigh on perfect footy given the conditions.

Very happy with the boys response. We now sit 8-2, top of the ladder, with the best % in the league. We have also knocked off 4 top 8 sides in that time. Its hardly the doom and gloom a lot on here would have you believe.

Two things that stood out for me after watching the replay was Lever and Greenwood's games. Particularly thinking ahead to next week.

Lever was massive, his best game yet. He really has grown into that third man role. His ability to read the play, create a turnover then move it down the ground long (generally) and quick will be important next week. had he played against the Dees we would not have won as they got a lot of cheap I50s that resulted in goals. To win next week Lever needs to play as good a game as he played tonight. As an aside, IMO he is one of our most important players and we need to give him a five year deal. His signature will be vital for us going forward.

And Greenwood. Yeah statistically not as good a game as last week. Although every possesion he did have made an impact. But his physical contact and ability to stop a player impressed me. Most of the work he did last night at stoppages did not earn him a stat, but it cleared the way for our guys and/or disrupted their clearance work. In a wet game it is no coincedence the two Crouch boys had so much ball and clearances in a game Greenwood was around the ball as well.

Going forward for next week I would have Greenwood stick to Danger. At least at the stoppage contests. Yes I don't like taggers, as Elite Crow will atest, but for this game and Danger I think Greenwood could upset him with his size and presence, as he did Fyfe and Neale last night. And when Danger goes forward apply the same treatment to Selwood. At the very least have Greenwood be at as many stoppages as possible to provide the blocks and physical work that our other mids need to win the ball. He was brilliant at that last night.

Thanks for not mentioning Butch and Hartlett :rainbow:

I'm just glad you haven't locked away Lever and McGovern. Makes sense, gotta keep your high priority stars like Mackay first.

Thats all good. Glad Port are also on top of their list management with the best part of 20+ players uncontracted for next season sitting on your list. Including 'million $ man' Trengove, Hombsch, Westhoff & Ebert. Gotta make sure the likes of Neade & Hartlett are all sown up ;)

Does squiggle always have issues? https://live.squiggle.com.au/ if you view the forecast it has us losing 6 games but if you go through the predicted results it actually only has us losing one more game for the year and thats against the Cats next week by 1 point.

So really squiggle thinks were going to win 19 games for the year

It uses different formulas for each prediction.

Two things that stood out for me after watching the replay was Lever and Greenwood's games. Particularly thinking ahead to next week.

Lever was massive, his best game yet. He really has grown into that third man role. His ability to read the play, create a turnover then move it down the ground long (generally) and quick will be important next week. had he played against the Dees we would not have won as they got a lot of cheap I50s that resulted in goals. To win next week Lever needs to play as good a game as he played tonight. As an aside, IMO he is one of our most important players and we need to give him a five year deal. His signature will be vital for us going forward.

And Greenwood. Yeah statistically not as good a game as last week. Although every possesion he did have made an impact. But his physical contact and ability to stop a player impressed me. Most of the work he did last night at stoppages did not earn him a stat, but it cleared the way for our guys and/or disrupted their clearance work. In a wet game it is no coincedence the two Crouch boys had so much ball and clearances in a game Greenwood was around the ball as well.

Going forward for next week I would have Greenwood stick to Danger. At least at the stoppage contests. Yes I don't like taggers, as Elite Crow will atest, but for this game and Danger I think Greenwood could upset him with his size and presence, as he did Fyfe and Neale last night. And when Danger goes forward apply the same treatment to Selwood. At the very least have Greenwood be at as many stoppages as possible to provide the blocks and physical work that our other mids need to win the ball. He was brilliant at that last night.

You don't tag Danger, you tag Selwood.

That's the proven formula.

I know Dangerfield won the B&F the season he left but watching Lever last night and the passion he is playing with it just doesn't strike me as a player who is about to walk out the door

I know Dangerfield won the B&F the season he left but watching Lever last night and the passion he is playing with it just doesn't strike me as a player who is about to walk out the door
I don't think he will leave as long as our offer is reasonable. Why the hell would he leave us to go to Carlton for example?

47 inside 50's to 10 at half time

34 scoring shots to 4 at one stage

I reckon any SANFL team would have done better than that against us. Hard to know what to make of the game.

We pressured Fremantle, but they sure as hell didn't pressure us back. That differential would be very different if they went as hard as Geelong did the last two weeks

Ugly:
Anyone saying "we didn't beat anyone, Freo didn't turn up, means nothing, blah blah" ignoring the fact that we just handed the most defensive coach of the last decade a 100 point poleaxing, his biggest ever loss, in his 250th game.
We're totally responsible for our losses but ours wins are lucky because the opposition didn't turn up?
Have some chocolate and get laid and try to crack a smile you miserable bastards :)

The first is now supposedly good for you, the second is definitely good for you, so the third becomes automatic after the first two outcomes!

Yes. Read my post on how the Bulldogs played Danger. It won awards.

Let Danger see ball, get ball, turn over, repeat.

Dangers weakness is his kicking. Have Lever float 45m ahead of the pack, Danger can get all the clearances he wants.

And thats the thing, if you tag Selwood out of the game Danger will resort to that game style.

if you let Selwood dominate at the coal face then Danger plays much more structured and is super damaging.

Geelongs most damaging passages of play nearly always go Selwood -> danger -> x. Hardly ever Danger -> selwood -> or Danger -> x

Back