• No, he is just the next Rayzor "look at me" Ray

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • No, he is awesome

Votes: 2 1.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not a chance. Whch is why the hardwick comparison is nonsense.
They are paid what they are worth.
I would pay them more on the proviso they went full-time and it was made more attractive.
As for my earlier point, it stands. People calling for more transparency, or for decisions to be analysed and scrutinised, are living in dreamworld. There wouldn't be a single poster posting on this thread who would accept an umpire was right if the decision was analaysed and proven to be correct. So what would education achieve?

You keep changing your view on this

One minute you say "no right to question", then you say " transparency is.fine", now you say "you cant be trusted to be fair when handling that transparency"

Which is it? Is it wrong to question or are we too dumb to be allowed to question?

Cover ups encourage conspiracy bullshit. All your policy of.silence does is foster that and make it worse.

Also if umps are getting face time.on tv and social media (via the afl/umps assoc), do you think they have given up the right to protection behind a wall of silence?

You keep changing your view on this

One minute you say "no right to question", then you say " transparency is.fine", now you say "you cant be trusted to be fair when handling that transparency"

Which is it? Is it wrong to question or are we too dumb to be allowed to question?

Cover ups encourage conspiracy bullshit. All your policy of.silence does is foster that and make it worse.

Also if umps are getting face time.on tv and social media (via the afl/umps assoc), do you think they have given up the right to protection behind a wall of silence?

What is "to question"? As in meaning?
I don't consider moronic one-eyed or blinkered fans laying the boots into umpires (as people do on here) and taking to social media forums to trash them as questioning. That's not a transparent or even healthy process.
I'm all for umpires decisions being explained - which they are on a small scale. What I am saying is, it's pointless. As we saw this week. The AFL came out and backed the Short decision as correct. Did anyone on here change their mind? No. Did anyone let up on the vilification and defamation of an umpire. No.
So there's the dilemma. People want more transparency and explanation - it should be a good thing - but you are dealing with a boofhead football public who won't accept the explanations or transparency. So it becomes pointless - they might as well keep it as is.
As to your question in red.
Is it wrong to question or are we too dumb to be allowed to question?
No, it's not wrong to question - in fact very few people posting here have even questioned the decision, but simply laid the boots in. Are we too dumb to be allowed to question? No. But the question should be: Are we too dumb to accept an explanation? And that' the crux of it. When it comes to umpires, sadly there are a large majority who will never change their opinion on umpires or stance on a decision if it's explained.
I know you are not naive .. do you really think the same usual suspects - win, lose or draw Saturday - won't be on here at te first opportunity bemoaning a bag of decisions.? Of course they will. It's ingrained. You need t educate a public that has for a century accepted it's ok to trash umpires.

I think there should be greater scrutiny ..... but this thread is evidence why it will never be allowed to happen.
A lot of footy fans - including on here - can't be told.
Take for instance the Short decision. There was an outcry/backlash on here. As soon as the AFL/umpires came out and said the decision was actually correct, this thread and elsewhere went into meltdown.
After 40-odd years of watching this game I am left with only one certainty, you cannot educate the footballing public.
1. They don't want to be educated.
2. They already have all the answers.
What would greater scrutiny and explanation of the Jayden Short decision achieve? No one on here wants to listen anyways.
It's a pointless exercise.
I understand I am different to most on here - but won;t be apologising for it. I was raised to respect authority in genera and accept the umpire's decision. Yes, I may have questioned the odd howler while on the field and had words with the umpire, but I moved on quick. I'll proudly say I wasn't one of those morons who harped on about free kicks or a single incident for an entire four quarters and was still boring my mates in the bar on Saturday night about it and again on Tuesday night.
And the moment you start posting nonsense or speaking nonsense on Thursday and Friday that we'll beat Norf, as long as the umpires give us a go, people are just looking for the chance to pot the umpires (and they do).
Win, lose or draw Saturday, the same people will be on here at 9pm whinging about a particular decision or umpires costing us the game and the keyboard warrior instinct will go into overdrive.
So the AFL won't explain or educate becuase the boofhead, moronic footbal;ling public doesn't really ant that. It's a non-event!

I think there is some truth to what you are saying with the can't be told, but, there is also frustration from the pure arrogance of the AFL towards the football public.
If they were more open and honest people in general would be more accepting, but they aren't. They are justifying mistakes and it's bullshit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

He actually said, for the first time against the umpire, that the Short decision was a mistake.
I'm surprised he wasn't fined.

Funnily enough I thought the same thing.

What a moronic and disrespectful thing to say about Hardwick. For someone in the media, you would think you would know better Gold. He cant say what he thinks else he and the club will be sanctioned. He took a risk saying his decision on short was a mistake. Yet, again, you assume he is something he is not, well done.

LOL ,ill say it again, what are you 12? When you lose a debate you resort to personal attacks, and when that does not work, you have a dummy spit lol. Harden up mate.

Thanks Yahweh for your insightful words of nothing ... pot calling kettle black here.
If I am not mistaken, this exchange with you taking a great big shot at me, but of course - as always - you resort to your holier than though, I'm the victim card.
If did not start this exchange, its you who took the pot shot.
And it was all over you accusing me of making a statement n favour of a decision an umpire made that I didn't.
For the 12th time .... I am on record that the Caddy/Riewoldt decision was WRONG. But you can't prove it to be otherwise and have now chosen to smply believe it;s true. So again, I ask you, prove my statement or lay off th bullying! Yes, bullying!

What is "to question"? As in meaning?
I don't consider moronic one-eyed or blinkered fans laying the boots into umpires (as people do on here) and taking to social media forums to trash them as questioning. That's not a transparent or even healthy process.
I'm all for umpires decisions being explained - which they are on a small scale. What I am saying is, it's pointless. As we saw this week. The AFL came out and backed the Short decision as correct. Did anyone on here change their mind? No. Did anyone let up on the vilification and defamation of an umpire. No.
So there's the dilemma. People want more transparency and explanation - it should be a good thing - but you are dealing with a boofhead football public who won't accept the explanations or transparency. So it becomes pointless - they might as well keep it as is.
As to your question in red.
Is it wrong to question or are we too dumb to be allowed to question?
No, it's not wrong to question - in fact very few people posting here have even questioned the decision, but simply laid the boots in. Are we too dumb to be allowed to question? No. But the question should be: Are we too dumb to accept an explanation? And that' the crux of it. When it comes to umpires, sadly there are a large majority who will never change their opinion on umpires or stance on a decision if it's explained.
I know you are not naive .. do you really think the same usual suspects - win, lose or draw Saturday - won't be on here at te first opportunity bemoaning a bag of decisions.? Of course they will. It's ingrained. You need t educate a public that has for a century accepted it's ok to trash umpires.

You dont govern policy to the lowest common denominator

If you treat people like morons they will act like.morons

Want people to be reasoned and.considered about umpiring? Be open

Things were.better under campbell, who was very open about what worked and what didnt, than under geisch

When simon lethlean jokes about bad decisions, i think we are back in geischland right now

Thanks Yahweh for your insightful words of nothing ... pot calling kettle black here.
If I am not mistaken, this exchange with you taking a great big shot at me, but of course - as always - you resort to your holier than though, I'm the victim card.
If did not start this exchange, its you who took the pot shot.
And it was all over you accusing me of making a statement n favour of a decision an umpire made that I didn't.
For the 12th time .... I am on record that the Caddy/Riewoldt decision was WRONG. But you can't prove it to be otherwise and have now chosen to smply believe it;s true. So again, I ask you, prove my statement or lay off th bullying! Yes, bullying!

Jesus, does your high horse eat much ?

I am bullying ? I asked you to explain your double standard when you posted how disgusted you were to be a tiger supporter in this thread. You went on this tirade by a simple 2 line remark on a multiquote ??? you are precious indeed.

I said you believed the Caddy disallowed call was the right call.

Did you post it was the right call....NO

Why do *I* believe you think it was right call.....solely due to your actions in the freo thread.....just go read it. You kept on defending that call as it did not change the result,when hello sunshine if you lose a game under 6 points and should have got 6 points in a goal...you would have won.

Now, with that said, you are the one attacking my character. It's plain as day. I am a plain speaker, your actions are weak Dust and to go the bully accusation by you, a 40 plus year old person...is not only a disgrace, its sad.

Again though, you have never addressed the original question..why the double standard by you ? I do not see you in the hardwick thread mention how disgusted you are to be a tiger when posters are going feral yet for dilboy....you go mental.

Funny that.

The obsession with the umps is an absolute joke.

Nah I love a good rant. Stuff em. When people go on about their feelings being hurt on a footy forum I start to question
the sanity of actually spending as much time on here as I do.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

God there's some absolute sooks on this board. FFS get a life

STOP TELLING ME HOW TO LIVE MY LIFE MAAAAAANNNNN.

Just live and let live brah. Some on here desperately want to be kicked in the balls for some reason

You mean getting kicked in the balls intentionally is a bit strange? I need a new hobby then :(

It's not an obsession.
It started our as a question, legitimate IMO if inflammatory, the obsession came from the bloke who wasn't going to post in this thread about 100 posts ago.

That was a separate umpire thread for starters.
There is another thread you know! But go ahead make it up.
I doubt it's a legitimate question, more slanted and defamatory.
Is Curtis Deboy a cheat?
Great question!
Not sure what;s worse - the question or that people like you actually believe he is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back