Roast The NGA is a complete rort and pointless waste of time, money and resources.

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 30, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
The NGA is a complete scam to delude all the other teams to think they're a chance of developing players and getting a bargain. Reality is more often than not it's just a way the AFL can con clubs into throwing money away on kids with Indigenous or some designated acceptable foreign backgrounds. The kids get free sh!t and pampered and odds are all the development you put into them the benefits go to another team.

All the AFL teams should band together, and demand Academies are stripped. It's a sham when all the remaining teams benefited negatively whilst GC were gifted 4 kids in top 26 picks (also have at least a couple more years of untouchable guns coming).
Other NGA's taken before pick 40 so those teams copped it in the neck.
Pick 28 Lance Collard
Pick 32 Mitch Edwards
Pick 37 Tew Jiath
Pick 39 Luamon Lual.

Clubs spent time and money developing them for negative gain. In effect they spent resources to improve a player for another team. We've poured god knows how much money into the NGA to get 9 games out of eggy smith (1 good game). Our area we can't even get kids mentioned as potentially being in the top 300 picks and none of them are even playing well at the level beneath VFL.

At one point the club were paying for 4 kids to board at private schools costing >$50k each kid per year. The club should tell the AFL to stick it and pump all the resources into father sons giving them gym memberships, personal trainers, protein shakes, dieticians and skills coaching.

Better off as if they're any good no other team can poach them. I'd much rather see ex players kids like Naish, Kellaway, Leys etc given a leg up in life than some random nobody who if they're any good we probably miss out on them anyway.

Didn't the AFL put in the pick 40 rule because of Quaynor and Jamara?

If the goal from the AFL is to have kids be developed early and brought through the system then they should allow clubs to bid on the players like the Northern clubs can with their academy players.

There also shouldn't be any discounts or rules around how many academy players you can take. If you develop them then you have a right to them and if say the premier has 4 top 20 kids coming through then they have to make their draft hand real strong to get all of them.

The main problem here is the points system. It’s too easy for northern/father-son teams to match the bids of other clubs.

Gold Coast for example had so many quality academy players this year. Yet, they’re still able to keep three first-rounders in 2024. Yep, three!

Meanwhile, the NGA player is part of the open draft if a team selects them within the top 40.

If you’re going to have the northern academies/father-son systems, then update the points system. Also update the NGA system to make it worthwhile for clubs.

One thing that should be considered is not giving the full discount to clubs for players they get late to their academy. I think Collingwood scammed Quaynor this way before the rules were changed, they brought him in late when it was already known he was very talented. I don't know when kids actually start in these academies, but if it is open for kids from say age 14, you should only get the full discount if they are in the academy from that age. If they enter at 15 then 3/4 discount, 16 1/2 discount and 17 1/4 discount. A lot of these rules and free agency compo should just be a lot more sophisticated so as to reflect correct values.

IMO the part of the system they really need to look at is the ability to shift all their early picks for mid draft "points" picks, or into the next year's draft.

The club should have to match with their next natural selection, and if they'd gone out of their way to trade their first round pick into next year's draft, then they forfeit the ability to match. There's added nuance, for sure, but something along these lines as a starting point, please!

Sent from my motorola edge 30 pro using Tapatalk

One thing that should be considered is not giving the full discount to clubs for players they get late to their academy. I think Collingwood scammed Quaynor this way before the rules were changed, they brought him in late when it was already known he was very talented. I don't know when kids actually start in these academies, but if it is open for kids from say age 14, you should only get the full discount if they are in the academy from that age. If they enter at 15 then 3/4 discount, 16 1/2 discount and 17 1/4 discount. A lot of these rules and free agency compo should just be a lot more sophisticated so as to reflect correct values.
Nah I would say get rid of all discounts. If you are able to bid no matter the draft position then the fact that you have access is compensation enough for the academy costs.

Where’d you get the info that the club spent money for 4 kids to board at a private school?

I always thought clubs put minimal time and effort into this NGA crap and that’s why everyone was happy with the inside top 40 rule. Bulldogs and Pies getting blokes like Ugle-Haggan and Quaynor was really just pot luck and not really down to the investment the clubs made to their development.

The main problem here is the points system. It’s too easy for northern/father-son teams to match the bids of other clubs.

Gold Coast for example had so many quality academy players this year. Yet, they’re still able to keep three first-rounders in 2024. Yep, three!

Meanwhile, the NGA player is part of the open draft if a team selects them within the top 40.

If you’re going to have the northern academies/father-son systems, then update the points system. Also update the NGA system to make it worthwhile for clubs.
Thats what the AFL want to see though. They want to grow the game in the North and this gives those young players an incentive to play AFL. It's not designed to benefit the rest of the competition.
AFL would be high fiving each other today.

Where’d you get the info that the club spent money for 4 kids to board at a private school?

I always thought clubs put minimal time and effort into this NGA crap and that’s why everyone was happy with the inside top 40 rule. Bulldogs and Pies getting blokes like Ugle-Haggan and Quaynor was really just pot luck and not really down to the investment the clubs made to their development.

Cbf'd locating it but was several articles, videos, interviews about it one kid was from Tongala named Cowley/ Crowley I remember he got like 45/54 votes to win his leagues u16 bnf as a 14 yo. And from memory dominated as a 15/16 yo in their seniors too. At the time they were likening him as the next Chris Judd. Him and another kid who looked like Clayton Oliver were promoted a lot at the club and I remember they used to dance at the Dreamtime game. They were boarders at Caulfield/ Scotch??? One of those flash Harry schools that costs $50k+ P/A. There was another kid who wasn't hyped as much and was only mentioned a few times. He may have only gone for 1 or 2 years? MRJ is the other. That's a lot of investment for little to no return.

They never even bothered to try out for our reserves team so how ungrateful can you get. Imagine if the club instead pumped $50k into Pat Naish on personal training, protein, MMA training, bought him weights??? We might've had an improved version of him who was built like an AFL footballer who could tackle and smash in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jay Clark bias against Richmond shown in his reporting of barren academy zones.
Left off Richmond who has only selected only one NGA player (Derek Eggmolesse-Smith 9 games)

There is also a call to reassess the next generation academy zone boundaries for Victorian clubs due to some “barren catchment areas”.

Geelong, Adelaide, Carlton and Melbourne have only taken two players each from their NGA’s over the past eight years.

“There’s different zones are stronger than others and right at the moment if there was a way to even that up a bit, I think that would be good,” legendary Geelong recruiter Stephen Wells said.

Left off Richmond who has only selected only one NGA player (Derek Eggmolesse-Smith 9 games)

There is also a call to reassess the next generation academy zone boundaries for Victorian clubs due to some “barren catchment areas”.

Geelong, Adelaide, Carlton and Melbourne have only taken two players each from their NGA’s over the past eight years.

“There’s different zones are stronger than others and right at the moment if there was a way to even that up a bit, I think that would be good,” legendary Geelong recruiter Stephen Wells said.

Clark would have displayed more journalistic integrity on the sentence “legendary Geelong recruiter Stephen Wells said” if he had concluded it with “as his nuts rested on my chin”

What was our connection with Quaynor? From memory pies took him from under our nose.

Thats what the AFL want to see though. They want to grow the game in the North and this gives those young players an incentive to play AFL. It's not designed to benefit the rest of the competition.
AFL would be high fiving each other today.
Exactly 100%. The NGA isn’t in place for any clubs outside the 4 up north. They want to see those clubs win flags and grow the game. Until that starts happening on a regular basis, no change will be made.

I read the article and was stumped that Richmond wasn't mentioned at all despite having seemingly one of the worst zones in Victoria. Melbourne had Mac Andrew emerging a couple of years ago. Meanwhile, the last NGA selection from our zone was Eggmolesse-Smith, and that was in 2017. Although we didn't pick anyone in 2016, that was the only other year players were selected from our zone.

The NGA is a shamble right now.

The draft is now like going for a job and you're up against the CEO's nieces and nephews for the plum position, ie: not a level playing field.

Still perplexes me why clubs in trade week bend over backwards to give the academy clubs picks galore to cover off their kids, gotta be an AFL directive. what would GC do if no club handed them enough picks to match bids on draft night.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back