Strategy Dimma said it, Last Dance is over, and now recruitment time is the focus as well as development!!

Remove this Banner Ad

how do pies win with our gameplan

must be umpies sucking them off every week

The pies hit leads in the forward line all the time something we don't do, and have short passes to players on their own, not just bombing it in all the time. We get it in our forward line more often than the opposition and yet we score less, how does that work?

Pies Vs Blues - Inside 50's for Pies = 51, Marks inside 50 = 13

Tigers Vs Bombers - Inside 50's for Tigers = 60, Marks inside 50 = 7

Last edited:

The bottom line is he and Baker are not 18 or 17.

The most exciting players at the moment are Humphrey and Wardlaw. Nick Daicos is yesterdays news

How good will Sheezel be??

We can help pay for Bolton while he is at West Coast and building and RFC

If you cannot see we are getting surpassed by younger talent, your dreaming, we need to join the youth party or we wither and die
So get rid of Bolton then pay for him, so that we get a player that may or may not be as good?

There are no guarantees at the draft, as our 37 years in the wilderness proved, a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

I actually don't mind hearing the left field type of ideas.
But I definitely don't know enough about Harley Reid to know how much of a "once-in-a-generation" player he is.

West Coast probably would give up pick 1 for 3 first rounders.
We are a long way off having 3 first rounders.
So, possibly Bolton, Baker & trade someone elsewhere for a first-rounder and they might consider us.
Who do we have that we could trade for a first rounder? Balta? D Rioli? Lynch?

Would be about done with the club if they offered 3 of those players.

Maybe the 2024 or 25 draft when we start with more draft capital we could consider trading our way to the pointy end.

Our results this year show that we are still thereabouts. We are one fit ruckman and KPF away from challenging again. Gibcus can eventually replace Grimes. We have TT and Hopper as cover for Prestia. Provided Lynch can regain fitness and play near his peak for 2-3 years. They need go all out on Himmelberg.

Last edited:
So get rid of Bolton then pay for him, so that we get a player that may or may not be as good?

There are no guarantees at the draft, as our 37 years in the wilderness proved, a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

John Pitura was probably our worst trade and Richard Tambling our worst draft pick, so yes a bird in the hand is a good analogy.

Himmelberg would be a great replacement for Jack, but lets not throw the baby out with the bath water to get him like we have with players in the past.

Last edited:
John Pitura was probably our worst trade and Richard Tambling our worst draft pick, so yes a bird in the hand is a good analogy.

Himmelberg would be a great replacement for Jack, but lets not throw the baby out with the bath water to get him like we have with players in the past.
Why was Tambling our worst draft pick ?

Our results this year show that we are still thereabouts. We are one fit ruckman and KPF away from challenging again. Gibcus can eventually replace Grimes. We have TT and Hopper as cover for Prestia. Provided Lynch can regain fitness and play near his peak for 2-3 years. They need go all out on Himmelberg.
i don't think so in terms of depth and quality to execute a sustainable game style with the new rules. The game suites high-quality players and our game style over the premiership years was a system-based side that needed role players in a "money ball" build. I even remember when we were getting Houli and Grigg was this mindset with a compromised draft.

I don't mind the thread title..but as soon as I read Harley Reid, I almost fell off my chair.

West coast will not be trading that number 1 pick. They are in a position to get the best midfielder in the country. You don't just give that up.. How often has it happened? And if anything, they need him more than any team in the AFL.

We sure do need to focus on youth, however we are in a very challenging position, having no first round pick secured for this year (especially when it looks like a top 5 pick currently). It seems we need to somehow acquire another 2nd round if we can and really nail the picks. The development in Sonsie, Clarke, Banks and Gibcus plus a few others will largely determine our success over the next 5-10 years

As far as expectations, results and who we could have drafted.
Nope, you're referring to Franklin i gather. How long do you think Franklin would've lasted at Richmond before walking out on us.

As for results, made no difference. We still wouldn't have made finals in any of those years, it's not like we were contending.

I for one think the constant talk about Tambling vs Franklin was disgusting and it destroyed him, kid could play but just the amount of talk got to him in the end and it was talk that was never afforded to the bulldogs who were quite possibly a Franklin away from making at least two Grand Finals in 2008/09/10.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't mind the thread title..but as soon as I read Harley Reid, I almost fell off my chair.

West coast will not be trading that number 1 pick. They are in a position to get the best midfielder in the country. You don't just give that up.. How often has it happened? And if anything, they need him more than any team in the AFL.

We sure do need to focus on youth, however we are in a very challenging position, having no first round pick secured for this year (especially when it looks like a top 5 pick currently). It seems we need to somehow acquire another 2nd round if we can and really nail the picks. The development in Sonsie, Clarke, Banks and Gibcus plus a few others will largely determine our success over the next 5-10 years
Rather West Coast take the Vic boy than Haw or Norf.;)

i don't think so in terms of depth and quality to execute a sustainable game style with the new rules. The game suites high-quality players and our game style over the premiership years was a system-based side that needed role players in a "money ball" build. I even remember when we were getting Houli and Grigg was this mindset with a compromised draft.
I think depth will be improved when the likes of HRS, Sonsie, Cumberland, Clarke, Ryan, Maurice Rioli get an additional year of development.

Nope, you're referring to Franklin i gather. How long do you think Franklin would've lasted at Richmond before walking out on us.

As for results, made no difference. We still wouldn't have made finals in any of those years, it's not like we were contending.

I for one think the constant talk about Tambling vs Franklin was disgusting and it destroyed him, kid could play but just the amount of talk got to him in the end and it was talk that was never afforded to the bulldogs who were quite possibly a Franklin away from making at least two Grand Finals in 2008/09/10.

Sorry, but this has nothing to do with Buddy.

Tambling was Pick 4, the fourth selection in the country. We elected for a division 2 player who barely showed anything let's be honest. Yeh he may have got on the end of a few goals here and there, but worth pick 4?

It happens unfortunately, some are great, and some are busts. His development didn't progress and the same thing happened when he moved to Adelaide.
The fact that Franklin was picked just after is just added pressure, I agree, but irrespective of whoever was picked right after, the 6 seasons he had at Richmond were considered a bust.

If he was a late 3rd or 4th round, I don't believe for a second he would have even lasted that long unfortunately.

If current AFL history has taught us anything...it is that there are no quick fixes to bottoming out and/or rising up the AFL table...nix, nada, zilch no magic bullets. Throw in the possible arrival of a new AFL club, compromised drafts, the pointy end footy talent is not going to be fairly shared around for 19 Clubs!
Top Draft picks are not the be all and end all in raising a Club's fortunes. Carltoon are the current poster boys for that, with Norff pushing hard!
That ought to tell us one thing...it's possible to still rise up the AFL table, albeit slowly, provided you have the footy basics in place!
Admin, Personnel, Recruitment, Finances, Healthy Salary Cap, Sponsors, Membership, Physio, Coach, Assistant/Development Coaches, Training Facilities!
With all these building blocks in place, it is possible, highly possible, to slowly turn a Club's fortunes around and slowly rise up the AFL Ladder.
Footy performances, shift and change, and luck plays a small part, including injuries! We are the current poster boys for that, with WCE pushing hard!
We may play Finals this year, but it's not a certainty, but in the mean time we still have opportunities to search for a new fresh Coach(es),Physio, game plans!
The footy is now in our forward line, how we go about exploiting it will be interesting to watch, hopefully we can score our goals rather than missed points!
I am looking forward to seeing the character of our Club in action and how it goes about 'post dimma'...

Last edited:
Bolton is an A grader and Baker is very near close and are both younger than Taranto and Hopper trading them out to get A grade players to build around Taranto and Hopper is totally counterproductive
Bolton, unless he pulls his finger out and starts to turn games consistently like he has done so the past 2 weeks, can be seen as a cream player. I want to be proven wrong but I can't shake the nagging feeling that he is too much of our barometer and doesn't have the temperament to stand up and grab the game by the scruff of the neck. He seems like he could be one of those brilliant in a good team type players but useless in real poor teams.

The mail that seems to be going around is that the Harley Reid kid is another Dusty type generational player. I would do the deal of Bolton and a first rounder next year for Dusty

Bolton, unless he pulls his finger out and starts to turn games consistently like he has done so the past 2 weeks, can be seen as a cream player. I want to be proven wrong but I can't shake the nagging feeling that he is too much of our barometer and doesn't have the temperament to stand up and grab the game by the scruff of the neck. He seems like he could be one of those brilliant in a good team type players but useless in real poor teams.

The mail that seems to be going around is that the Harley Reid kid is another Dusty type generational player. I would do the deal of Bolton and a first rounder next year for Dusty
But how many times have we heard those words about the next generational type player
It literally gets ripped out once a year about a some kid who is doing good things at JR level

Rayner was going to be the next Dusty, as was Powell Pepper as for Patreski Setton, Rowell was generational talent so was Walsh

Even Horne Francis who we reportedly went hard for was seen as that but what a * up that would of been after he requests a trade to his home state

If you are club in the box seat already for your Reid type.. fantastic you take the punt because you already have found yourself in the position to take the risk and all you are risking is the drat pick you got from finishing low on the ladder

But if you are actually trading out genuine talent for one kid who may not even make it you are increasing the cost and risk already

But how many times have we heard those words about the next generational type player
It literally gets ripped out once a year about a some kid who is doing good things at JR level

Rayner was going to be the next Dusty, as was Powell Pepper as for Patreski Setton, Rowell was generational talent so was Walsh

Even Horne Francis who we reportedly went hard for was seen as that but what a * up that would of been after he requests a trade to his home state

If you are club in the box seat already for your Reid type.. fantastic you take the punt because you already have found yourself in the position to take the risk and all you are risking is the drat pick you got from finishing low on the ladder

But if you are actually trading out genuine talent for one kid who may not even make it you are increasing the cost and risk already

Exactly my point and the point of the person who said a bird in the hand, don't give up what you have to get something unknown we've tried that in the past and we shot ourselves in the foot.

The cream comment is really fair, IMO, but I also think the last three weeks, for the first time he's really got his running patterns right along with having the stamina to pull them off. Hitting clearances at unstoppable pace and using his run to get around the blocking and deliberate congestion.

I saw a turning of the corner and I don't think it was a coincidence that he slid past that 100-game mark at the same time. I'm not 100% convinced either, but I'm very confident and way more so than I was a month ago.

Between his unrivalled talent, further potential to come and perhaps most importantly, his durability, he's quite literally the last player I'd trade.

When Kane Cornes says we can't go to the draft we know we must do it as he did on Footy Classified

It is hard for us to win a premiership with Hopper and Taranto within 6-7 years without Harley Reid

Let’s stop wasting another comment in discussing getting Harley Reid. It’d take 4 x top-20 picks including 2 in the top-10. We’d need to trade out Bolton, Balta and Rioli to get the draft capital needed.

Let’s move on to something remotely achievable.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Back