Coach Is it time for Dimma to go?

Is it time for Dimma to go.

• Yes

Votes: 97 43.9%
  • No

Votes: 126 57.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

In the 2016 train wreck there was no one there to challenge him, in 2017 as said by that Dustin Martin guy we got new assistants, also GDimma said at the end of 2016 he looked inwards , we are back to there, and no )he will challenge his wisdom because of the 3 flags which I hold him and his coaching team in my heart,
Spot on mate we invested in the football department quality assistant's and quality fitness team to , but since 2020 we haven't simple as that for me we didn't involve or come close to replacing what we lost prime example we hired our fitness bloke within who was part of the previous regime took short cuts now we look unfit and to many reoccurring injuries.

Last edited:
On the sherrys mate?
It’s not about sticking up to Dimma it’s about working together. If anyone was pushing back on Dimma they’d be out the door. It’s been obvious for years that it’s a collaborative approach. The buck stops with the top though. You work in as a collective or you head out the door.
Imagine in your workplace standing up to the boss or the CEO? Centre link is that way pal.

If a 3 time Premiership coach is being financially rewarded then so be it. He deserves it. You do realise the soft cap is called soft because it isn’t a hard and fast rule? It can be broken you pay a levy on that. If the club refuses to break the cap and pay a bit extra then thats their problem.
You don’t think Dimma would have been hot property for Carlton Collingwood GWS Essendon can throw on Port? We likely had to reward him to rightfully keep him.
The rest is just jargon. We replaced those assistance with a promotion to Morris (McRae) we brought in 2 assistants that had been sitting in the coaches chair at other clubs, both highly regarded and both would have had other offers on the table.
We didn't replace the quality we lost no way near it have look at our fitness department we hire within total mess that's a prime example. Covid is gone now we herd that exuse other clubs appointments compared to ours across the board alot better. We made a big deal we hired to ex coaches as assistant's that doesn't make them great appointments based on what yeah Rutten was great previously, but have look at difference Scott is making at Essendon.Very simple for me in 2017 we invested heavily in our football department since then we dropped the ball.

The cats 07 team was built on the back of their 2001 draft and father sons Hawks did well with 3 top picks that they hit with all 3 picks
Its just about impossible to get 3 picks inside 15 for Richmond even if we do bottom out

Carlton have been trying this bottoming out method for years and GC/GWS had more picks than we have had hot dinners
Times have changed these days and we now have other methods to build talent.

Great example is todays Collingwood side and the picks they have had with only Daicos , Moore as father sons De Goey and an ageing Pendles / Sidebottom round out the top 10 picks - Will they win a flag ? Who knows but the game plan is there and they are doing better than Carlton with 18 1st rounders

We have the skeletons of a great side and the kids are the unknown
I was waiting for your response on the Cats as they were gifted those picks as late picks, but the reality was they were all of low first round picks. Carlton have picked poorly and had they picked Cotchin over Kreuzer to complement Judd thy would have at least one flag as their window was there. They didn’t need a ruckman and that was poor list management. They dished off that big boy off to Adelaide.
Suns and GWS never had a backbone to complement their youth , they were new clubs with little infrastructure in management and then lost players bc of location.
Times haven’t changed as we only did it recently. It’s happened since the bombers started it in the first draft years.
Our list isn’t as great s we all thought it was as the kids replacing the jets aren’t anywhere of their ilk. MRJ and Cumberland are massive potential players. Ryan is an unknown quantity simply bc he has massive ball reading ability, but can’t mark Consistently enough. Gibcus is a bright prospect, but the rest are way off the mark or unproven.

Last edited:

We didn't replace the quality we lost no way near it have look at our fitness department we hire within total mess that's a prime example. Covid is gone now we herd that exuse other clubs appointments compared to ours across the board alot better. We made a big deal we hired to ex coaches as assistant's that doesn't make them great appointments based on what yeah Rutten was great previously, but have look at difference Scott is making at Essendon.Very simple for me in 2017 we invested heavily in our football department since then we dropped the ball.
You only have to look at our injury list and that comes about to poor preparation with fitness and players also have fatigued badly and games are not being run out. With player fatigue injuries are more common and I believe most of our injuries have come after half time.

I was waiting for your response on the Cats as they were gifted those picks as late picks, but the reality was they were all of low first round picks. Carlton have picked poorly and had they picked Cotchin over Kreuzer to complement Judd thy would have at least one flag as their window was there. They didn’t need a ruckman and that was poor list management. They dished off that big boy off to Adelaide.
Suns and GWS never had a backbone to complement their youth , they were new clubs with little infrastructure in management and then lost players bc of location.
Times haven’t changed as we only did it recently. It’s happened since the bombers started it in the first draft years.
Our list isn’t as great s we all thought it was as the kids replacing the jets aren’t anywhere of their ilk. MRJ and Cumberland are massive potential players. Ryan is an unknown quantity simply bc he has massive ball reading ability, but can’t mark Consistently enough. Gibcus is a bright prospect so, but the rest pare way off the mark or unproven.
We can excuse the mistakes in hindsight but reality is that these 'mistakes ' will continue to happen as the kids are a known quality as juniors but rarely translate to AFL level and are considered mistakes 4-5 years after the draft. So there are no guarantee's we wont make these mistakes again given 2-3 years on the bottom of the ladder.

Kreuzer was considered the next Cox and the Kreuzer cup was touted all year and Cotchin was considered just a good midfielder and the saying goes you get mids every where so was that a mistake by Carlton ? Yes but thats in hindsight

Agree with your comment about the suns and giants after the kids were selected but prior to that they had experienced list managers and good insight into the talent 2 years prior and had just as much ability to selected the right players - Dact is not all kids become the projected player

Looking at Failed 1st rounders over the years and you see so much hope that was placed on these players by supporters only to be let down when delisted
Ben Lennon , Reece Conca , Butterfly Ellis , Riley 2 mums , Paddy Wow's brother , Zombie jones there are just so many that i cant be bothered looking up just at Richmond and other clubs would have similar.

Fact is only 1-2 top 20 players become Cotchin and 1 in 10 drafts become Dusty and draft picks are magic beans in the hope of getting these guns
BUT in saying this i dont believe we give that up and just trade away 1st/2nd picks easily

I was and still am in favour of the trades we did last trade period and genuinely believe we were another shot at a flag but our injuries and loss of form has put us in a situation where we are all now doubting the quality of the side but i think it was the right choice as it provides quality talent and leadership in both boys to guide us through the rebuild/refresh

Taranto trade is fantastic and i would not reverse that but the Hopper trade will hurt as it looks like a top 10 pick but it is what it is and we have enough kids on the list with talent to see us through - Will it be premiership quality who knows ? Is Carlton . GWS . GC , North premiership quality ? again who knows as they all look as bad as we do.

But with the amount of older players we will be losing in the next 3 years - Free Agency is a must and we must utilize our cap space to bring in quality to provide leadership and keep Richmond competitive

Himmelberg is a quality player with 5 years of very good football remaining and he is the perfect Jack replacement as the 2nd foward and allows us to still be a desirable destination by remaining competitive

Last edited:
Anybody knocking Magic on the head for saying bottoming out is the answer are clueless
Look at recent history wth Hawks 08, Cats 07 and Richmond 16 the primary reason why all those sides won multiple premierships in a cluster was bc they got low quality draft picks. Melbourne has that window now, but knowing them they’ll screw up. The reason why teams like the Swans Dogs and other teams don’t have back to back or a cluster of flags is bc they never bottom out and trade picks and occasionally they get lucky.
Magic is getting knocked because he thinks we can just give up our older players for decent picks. Also takes more than top picks to secure a flag, takes smart trading. If we never traded Prestia, Caddy & Nankervis in we never win any of our 3 flags.

We can excuse the mistakes in hindsight but reality is that these 'mistakes ' will continue to happen as the kids are a known quality as juniors but rarely translate to AFL level and are considered mistakes 4-5 years after the draft. So there are no guarantee's we wont make these mistakes again given 2-3 years on the bottom of the ladder.

Kreuzer was considered the next Cox and the Kreuzer cup was touted all year and Cotchin was considered just a good midfielder and the saying goes you get mids every where so was that a mistake by Carlton ? Yes but thats in hindsight

Agree with your comment about the suns and giants after the kids were selected but prior to that they had experienced list managers and good insight into the talent 2 years prior and had just as much ability to selected the right players - Dact is not all kids become the projected player

Looking at Failed 1st rounders over the years and you see so much hope that was placed on these players by supporters only to be let down when delisted
Ben Lennon , Reece Conca , Butterfly Ellis , Riley 2 mums , Paddy Wow's brother , Zombie jones there are just so many that i cant be bothered looking up just at Richmond and other clubs would have similar.

Fact is only 1-2 top 20 players become Cotchin and 1 in 10 drafts become Dusty and draft picks are magic beans in the hope of getting these guns
BUT in saying this i dont believe we give that up and just trade away 1st/2nd picks easily

I was and still am in favour of the trades we did last trade period and genuinely believe we were another shot at a flag but our injuries and loss of form has put us in a situation where we are all now doubting the quality of the side but i think it was the right choice as it provides quality talent and leadership in both boys to guide us through the rebuild/refresh

Tarrant trade is fantastic and i would not reverse that but the Hopper trade will hurt as it looks like a top 10 pick but it is what it is and we have enough kids on the list with talent to see us through - Will it be premiership quality who knows ? Is Carlton . GWS . GC , North premiership quality ? again who knows as they all look as bad as we do.

But with the amount of older players we will be losing in the next 3 years - Free Agency is a must and we must utilize our cap space to bring in quality to provide leadership and keep Richmond competitive

Himmelberg is a quality player with 5 years of very good football remaining and he is the perfect Jack replacement as the 2nd foward and allows us to still be a desirable destination by remaining competitive
We also got Jack , Sheds was an early second round Flossy and Ellis were first rounders. We then topped up with jets like Prestia and Lynch to add to our core.
Cotchin was not regarded as a good midfielder and I’ll tell you my story on him.
I was going out to Preston to watch Coburg play, but Bro called me to go early to watch the KNIGHTS play in the preliminary game. He was going with an Essendon recruiter and a Dual Essendon Premiership player who was bros business partner.
I basically took a back seat listening to these two blokes talk all day. Cotchin absolutely gunned it that day , but before he even got a kick that day the recruiter said a few things regarding Cotchin
He said Cotchin has yeas of mental maturity in him that he will eventually captain a premiership side and that’s why with his natural talent is one of the best young footballers he’s even seen. He said if Carlton take Kreuzer they won’t win a flag as they need an A grade mid like Cotchin to assst Judd. He then said if Carlton give Richmond Cotchin then they’re going to gift Richmond a flag and Cotchin will captain it. That’s how much he rated him. I for two months said my rosary every night praying that God would allow this to happen. I told the story to many at family functions and constantly got ridiculed, but mouths were left ajar in 2017 and beyond. Trent Cotchin was a jet all his life from a junior with leadership skills beyond his years. I watched him play a few more games that season and the way he was talking to and directing players on the ground and in huddles was gob stopping. He is what you call elite and all class And born like that .

Last edited:
He can never make up his mind , he is repoted to be happy just to continue to be an assistant and didnt want a senior job
then he did and i remember the report your talking about but he didnt actually say it but was reported in the media

But he never applied for any jobs
Thanks for clearing that up.

You only have to look at our injury list and that comes about to poor preparation with fitness and players also have fatigued badly and games are not being run out. With player fatigue injuries are more common and I believe most of our injuries have come after half time.
There are only 4 injuries that look to be soft tissue injuries, the rest are wrist back foot ankle etc, so fitness and preparation are not the likely causes of those.
Tom Brown Wrist 4-6 weeks
Seth Campbell Adductor 4-6 weeks
Mate Colina Back Indefinite
Josh Gibcus Hamstring 1-3 weeks
Jack Graham Hamstring Test
Tom Lynch Foot 6-11 weeks
Toby Nankervis Ankle 4-6 weeks
Maurice Rioli jnr Hamstring 1-3 weeks
Kaleb Smith Foot 3-5 weeks
Robbie Tarrant Hip Indefinite
What concerns me more is how long it takes to get some of our injured back on the field.

Can't let him walk away from Richmond but his tenure as coach looking like it's got an expiration date. Possibly our new head of football ?
I still think Hardwick is the best coach, but we need to reinvent the magic somehow, likely with assistant coaches.

What an amazing coming together of brilliance over 2017-2020 with all those guys showing how good they were and subsequently getting promoted elsewhere

There are only 4 injuries that look to be soft tissue injuries, the rest are wrist back foot ankle etc, so fitness and preparation are not the likely causes of those.
Tom BrownWrist4-6 weeks
Seth CampbellAdductor4-6 weeks
Mate ColinaBackIndefinite
Josh GibcusHamstring1-3 weeks
Jack GrahamHamstringTest
Tom LynchFoot6-11 weeks
Toby NankervisAnkle4-6 weeks
Maurice Rioli jnrHamstring1-3 weeks
Kaleb SmithFoot3-5 weeks
Robbie TarrantHipIndefinite
What concerns me more is how long it takes to get some of our injured back on the field.
4 too many plus Prestia missed. We still aren't running games out

We also got Jack , Sheds was an early second round Flossy and Ellis were first rounders. We then topped up with jets like Prestia and Lynch to add to our core.
Cotchin was not regarded as a good midfielder and I’ll tell you my story on him.
I was going out to Preston to watch Coburg play, but Bro called me to go early to watch the KNIGHTS play in the preliminary game. He was going with an Essendon recruiter and a Dual Essendon Premiership player who was bros business partner.
I basically took a back seat listening to these two blokes talk all day. Cotchin absolutely gunned it that day , but before he even got a kick that day the recruiter said a few things regarding Cotchin
He said Cotchin has yeas of mental maturity in him that he will eventually captain a premiership side and that’s why with his natural talent is one of the best young footballers he’s even seen. He said if Carlton take Kreuzer they won’t win a flag as they need an A grade mid like Cotchin to assst Judd. He then said if Carlton give Richmond Cotchin then they’re going to gift Richmond a flag and Cotchin will captain it. That’s how much he rated him. I for two months said my rosary every night praying that God would allow this to happen. I told the story to many at family functions and constantly got ridiculed, but mouths were left ajar in 2017 and beyond. Trent Cotchin was a jet all his life from a junior with leadership skills beyond his years. I watched him play a few more games that season and the way he was talking to and directing players on the ground and in huddles was gob stopping. He is what you call elite and all class And born like that .

And i totally agree with all you said and we all knew Cotchin was a gun and would be captain the day he walked into the club

But my comments were more regarding the media and their acceptance that Cotchin was a good mid but Kreuzer was the undoubted #1 pick that year

Carlton made a massive mistake as even their own info had Nic Nat a better Ruck than Kreuzer but they still took him

Should have taken Cotchin and Nic Nat the following year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not to mention Cotchin saved Dimma's coaching bacon at the end of 2016 convincing him to mea culpa about his micro managing of everything and how Dimma had stopped footy being fun that year. This was mentioned at the time to the media, and also in recent years when the two did their lounge style talks to intimate crowds to sell lots of memorabilia. Cotchin was again years before his time as Captain in 2017 and helped Dimma maintain his role (I say maintain becuase he was never being let go - but still had to demonstrate how 2016 was going to change in 2017) and Cotch helped chart the success with a good many new Assistants.

Great story! Was always a gun.

Can recall a day at Coburg in 2007, watching a rookie called Jack Riewoldt directing traffic in our VFL forward line containing the likes of Ken Kingsley, Schultz Chris Hyde and Daniel Jackson (coming back through the Twos) and thinking this bloke not only has football smarts, but has leader written all over him.
Think the club mistook his confidence and leadership forever and a day until around 2017.
jack was a leader from day one, which just didn't realise it.

Spot on mate we invested in the football department quality assistant's and quality fitness team to , but since 2020 we haven't simple as that for me we didn't involve or come close to replacing what we lost prime example we hired our fitness bloke within who was part of the previous regime took short cuts now we look unfit and to many reoccurring injuries.

They way we have started the year the football dept needs scrutiny. Who is the highest paid Strength & Conditioning coach in the league and what is Meehan on? Who is Meehan's staff now?

As far as hiring people go, having a look at someone in house, like Meehan who has been there 10 years makes sense to me.

What are the KPIs for evaluating his performance?
Injury rate; injury rate to best 22; recovery rate and running stats?

Does Meehan get a tick or cross on current injured players Tarrant, Nank, Lynch, Graham. Tick or cross on getting Pickett, Graham ready for Round 1 ahead of schedule. Keeping Dusty, Cotch, Grimes, Prestia off the injury list.

Ruck depth and KPF dept is Not getting games into Ryan last year, Miller spudding it up wasn't ideal. Lucky Soldo being half ready.
Brown and Smith wrist & foot not ideal, nor MRJ.

Nank, Lynch and Jack Graham are injury prone. Our list management is under scrutiny really. Baptism for Ryan. He stood up. No Lynch gives a preview of life post JR.

I think there are 6 team running stats. If they were down is that because big runners missed games. Funnily enough its often KPDs who get big running numbers.
Distance
High speed distance
speed max
speed aver
Sprints
Repeat sprints
Work rate attack
work rate defence
team total sprints
team total sprints repeat

so in Bris final loss our team won 4 out of 5 of those stats but lost the game

our adelaide win, we win 1 out of 6 of the team stats and win the game

Last edited:
Not to mention Cotchin saved Dimma's coaching bacon at the end of 2016 convincing him to mea culpa about his micro managing of everything and how Dimma had stopped footy being fun that year. This was mentioned at the time to the media, and also in recent years when the two did their lounge style talks to intimate crowds to sell lots of memorabilia. Cotchin was again years before his time as Captain in 2017 and helped Dimma maintain his role (I say maintain becuase he was never being let go - but still had to demonstrate how 2016 was going to change in 2017) and Cotch helped chart the success with a good many new Assistants.
2017 doesn’t happen without the new assistants, go back and look at 2014, and 15 , 16 us trying to copy hawthorn, in fact Jack was quotes as saying we are not Hawthorn and he got castigated by Hardwick trying to chip the ball around like hawthorn, we give Hardwick credit for the 2017 game plan, well he must have implemented the gave plan via Skype if you all recall he was overseas on a course untill the first practice game , 2017 onwards the game plan was on the assistants as he wasn’t there, so people on here should go back snd revise history.

He has lost all this quality assist and and reverted to type. TigerImposter you recall me mentioning Skype back then , I also made that comment on this board. Caracalla was the ball movement coach and Leppits h the defensive coach , when Hardwick returned the game plan was already set, once it worked in 17 they were never going to change it.

Can recall a day at Coburg in 2007, watching a rookie called Jack Riewoldt directing traffic in our VFL forward line containing the likes of Ken Kingsley, Schultz Chris Hyde and Daniel Jackson (coming back through the Twos) and thinking this bloke not only has football smarts, but has leader written all over him.
Think the club mistook his confidence and leadership forever and a day until around 2017.
jack was a leader from day one, which just didn't realise it.
Remember when Jack said we weren’t Hawthorn and Hardwick should not try and makes Hawthorn?

2017 doesn’t happen without the new assistants, go back and look at 2014, and 15 , 16 us trying to copy hawthorn, in fact Jack was quotes as saying we are not Hawthorn and he got castigated by Hardwick trying to chip the ball around like hawthorn, we give Hardwick credit for the 2017 game plan, well he must have implemented the gave plan via Skype if you all recall he was overseas on a course untill the first practice game , 2017 onwards the game plan was on the assistants as he wasn’t there, so people on here should go back snd revise history.

He has lost all this quality assist and and reverted to type. TigerImposter you recall me mentioning Skype back then , I also made that comment on this board. Caracalla was the ball movement coach and Leppits h the defensive coach , when Hardwick returned the game plan was already set, once it worked in 17 they were never going to change it.
Yes lol the good old Skype joke followed by The famous Maroochydore training session. Dimma Tossing balls in to Hampson. lol
My friend went to that session and said we'll make the 8 and go close to winning the flag as he said the new assistants have the team looking amazing. I thought it was a big call until I watched our praccy match i think it was the Crows and we looked a completely different side.
Also Dimma was umpiring the intra club matches when he arrived back from Harvard whilst Blake was either in the stands taking down notes or on the boundary line taking guys off or yelling out instructions where they needed to improve or encouraging them where they were successful.

Last edited:
Yes lol the good old Skype joke followed by The famous Maroochydore training session. Dimma Tossing balls in to Hampson. lol
My friend went to that session and said we'll make the 8 and go close to winning the flag as he said the new assistants have the team looking amazing. I thought it was a big call until I watched our praccy match i think it was the Crows and we looked a completely different side.
Also Dimma was umpiring the intra club matches when he arrived back from Harvard whilst Blake was either in the stands taking down notes or on the boundary line taking guys off or yelling out instructions where they needed to improve or encouraging them where they were successful.
Yep absolutely , yet people on here still believe that Hardwick “created” the flags with out any input, there is no way he did it from Harvard he was busy taking exams, the assistants created the game plan and once they started leaving we have reverted to 2016 , micro manage

Back