Coach Is it time for Dimma to go?

Is it time for Dimma to go.

• Yes

Votes: 97 43.9%
  • No

Votes: 126 57.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Hardwick is a people manager tactically not up to it the coaching brains are now at pies

Leppa, Caracella and Kingsley were the key assistants during our Premiership era. McCrae was a brillant developer of young talent and our mentor on the bench. It worked well. All gone now.

Replaced by the likes of Teague, Clarke, Lonergan, Morris and McQualter.

Its pretty clear why we are not the team we once were.

Leppa, Caracella and Kingsley were the key assistants during our Premiership era. McCrae was a brillant developer of young talent and our mentor on the bench. It worked well. All gone now.

Spot on surly internally they see this and hope they make changes at season end

Considering 2 of those you’ve mentioned have gone on to coach their own AFL teams, 1 gone to be a footy boss and the other back to his home club on pretty good wicket. you’ve really gone out on a limb with that statement

There is no point in moving on from Dimma unless there is an outstanding candidate ready to replace him, Leppa looks pretty content to be mcraes #2 and there is no one else that stands out atm. Maybe we look at Grigg long term but he'd have to manage the VFL side first to see if he has it in him to be a senior coach
I read an article last year saying Caracella wants to a senior coach. Any thoughts?

I read an article last year saying Caracella wants to a senior coach. Any thoughts?
He can never make up his mind , he is repoted to be happy just to continue to be an assistant and didnt want a senior job
then he did and i remember the report your talking about but he didnt actually say it but was reported in the media

But he never applied for any jobs

Id like to see Dimma on the bench this week. Dunno why.
Its not for all coaches as they cant see the game unfold and its only there for coaches that want interaction with the young players coming to the bench and going onto the ground

Longmuire is now doing it and looks like a total nuf nuf and he just sits there and doesnt motivate

That is not entirely true. You do realise how the soft cap works?
You can pay over the soft cap. You just pay cents on a $ for when you go over. It’s only really a guide and not a hard and fast cap. So using the soft cap is only an excuse.
What’s not entirely true? Leppa leaving for a sabbatical and a week later signs with the scum? we didn’t re-lace him, we didn’t replace Rutten when he got the Druggies gig, we didn’t replace McRae , we had the current assistants , we are down a couple of quality blokes who could stand up to Dimma , now we have a group of sycophants, but the old saying is you pay peanuts you get monkeys.

or is the fact that Dimma is taking up the majority of the soft cap space incorrect? As a premiership coach he needs to be rewarded, look at clarkson

I’ve never heard so much comment on assistant coaches outside of this forum , I think the genesis of that most punters were convinced dimma was no good and credited all of our flags to his asst . A very subjective topic , I’m less bullish about those that put the witches hats and tackle bags out , the bloke that leads 40 listed players is numero uno ,,,it’s why highly rated asst on BF don’t often make successful senior coaches , diff skill set

I don’t think it was invented on this forum. When he was accepting his Brownlow Medal, Dustin Martin was asked by Bruce McAvaney what was behind Richmond’s improvement and he replied “new assistants”.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In the 2016 train wreck there was no one there to challenge him, in 2017 as said by that Dustin Martin guy we got new assistants, also GDimma said at the end of 2016 he looked inwards , we are back to there, and no )he will challenge his wisdom because of the 3 flags which I hold him and his coaching team in my heart,

What’s not entirely true? Leppa leaving for a sabbatical and a week later signs with the scum? we didn’t re-lace him, we didn’t replace Rutten when he got the Druggies gig, we didn’t replace McRae , we had the current assistants , we are down a couple of quality blokes who could stand up to Dimma , now we have a group of sycophants, but the old saying is you pay peanuts you get monkeys.

or is the fact that Dimma is taking up the majority of the soft cap space incorrect? As a premiership coach he needs to be rewarded, look at clarkson
On the sherrys mate?
It’s not about sticking up to Dimma it’s about working together. If anyone was pushing back on Dimma they’d be out the door. It’s been obvious for years that it’s a collaborative approach. The buck stops with the top though. You work in as a collective or you head out the door.
Imagine in your workplace standing up to the boss or the CEO? Centre link is that way pal.

If a 3 time Premiership coach is being financially rewarded then so be it. He deserves it. You do realise the soft cap is called soft because it isn’t a hard and fast rule? It can be broken you pay a levy on that. If the club refuses to break the cap and pay a bit extra then thats their problem.
You don’t think Dimma would have been hot property for Carlton Collingwood GWS Essendon can throw on Port? We likely had to reward him to rightfully keep him.
The rest is just jargon. We replaced those assistance with a promotion to Morris (McRae) we brought in 2 assistants that had been sitting in the coaches chair at other clubs, both highly regarded and both would have had other offers on the table.

A week later? Seriously mate, he was out of the game for 12 months.

I can’t see a world where hardwick doesn’t come under some form or pressure to keep his job if we miss the 8.

Is he capable of re-building the bonds and relationships that he has with Cotchin, Riewoldt and Martin to build the next group of leaders at the club?
I just think it’s only human to continue to relate back to previous experiences but this next group will want to create its own identity and build its own brand.

I don’t know after everything Hardwick has gone through to build this image of the “Richmond Man” whether he can do it all again.

Looking at Craig Mccrae and how he sets the table every time he speaks about Collingwood. He has built a completely new image of the club through a narrative.
This is exactly what Hardwick did in 2017 and McRae has learnt from this.

Create excitement…generate a positive image that people want to watch. This in turn creates a buzz inside the footy club.

I don’t know if Hardwick can do this again.
I think Hardwick learnt it from Fly. Balme sent KDH to Harvard for speech therapy in 2016 whilst Caracalla Fly and Leppard were implementing a new game plan and actually getting the boys to play to it. When Dimma arrived back he was doing throw ins on the boundary for Hampson

Last edited:
I’m still on the Dimma bandwagon at the moment (I mean, 3 Premierships and 1 minor Premiership and all that), but I have one concern about his coaching. Why is it that we start the season averagely in most years under him?

2010: 0-9 in the first 9 Rounds
2011: 4-1-4 in the first 9 Rounds (pretty decent
2012: 4-5 in the first 9 Rounds
2013: 5-4 in the first 9 Rounds
2014: 2-7 in the first 9 Rounds
2015: 5-4 in the first 9 Rounds (after starting 2-4 in the first 6 Rounds)
2016: 3-6 in the first 9 Rounds
2017: 5-4 in the first 9 Rounds
2018: 7-2 in the first 9 Rounds
2019: 6-3 in the first 9 Rounds (ended up 7-6 at the bye with our season in danger of slipping)
2020: 5-1-3 (started the season 1-1-2)
2021: 5-4
2022: 4-5 (we were 2-4 at around 6)
2023: 1-1-5 as of Round 7

This is definitely our worst start since 2014, but the point is that we’re usually better in the second half than we are in the first half since making our first final in 2013.

We had decent to good starts in 2013, 2017, and 2018. Our Premiership years weren’t that bad either for the most part. Other than that though, our starts have been quite ordinary. We rarely go above a mid-table effort of 5 wins in 9 rounds. Even in our Premiership years, our form in the second half of the season was much better than the first half.

I think Hardwick is really good if not one of the best coaches at adapting to changes within season. We could even see that before the Premiership run. I just don’t think he’s very good at reading where the game is going the following season. Perhaps that’s the reason why it usually takes us until round 6 or 7 to start gaining form.

TL;DR - Hardwick is a pretty good coach in adapting, but people need to know that apart from 2017 and 2013, he’s not very good at trailblazing or knowing where the game’s going the next season. That’s why our form at the beginning tends to be worse than at the end in my opinion.
Way too early to be calling for his head though. We’re bad at the moment, but not close to that bad.
He had a list of young jets back then.

A week later? Seriously mate, he was out of the game for 12 months.
Yep I’m pretty sure leppa took one for the team in a sense, he thought it was time for a change and wanted to focus on his business. He also mentioned on his SEN gig that the list was getting older and he felt he and we had achieved all we could achieve. Then the business was struggling a bit due to Covid and fly called so he rejoined the coaching ranks

Anybody knocking Magic on the head for saying bottoming out is the answer are clueless
Look at recent history wth Hawks 08, Cats 07 and Richmond 16 the primary reason why all those sides won multiple premierships in a cluster was bc they got low quality draft picks. Melbourne has that window now, but knowing them they’ll screw up. The reason why teams like the Swans Dogs and other teams don’t have back to back or a cluster of flags is bc they never bottom out and trade picks and occasionally they get lucky.

Anybody knocking Magic on the head for saying bottoming out is the answer are clueless
Look at recent history wth Hawks 08, Cats 07 and Richmond 16 the primary reason why all those sides won multiple premierships in a cluster was bc they got low quality draft picks. Melbourne has that window now, but knowing them they’ll screw up. The reason why teams like the Swans Dogs and other teams don’t have back to back or a cluster of flags is bc they never bottom out and trade picks and occasionally they get lucky.
The cats 07 team was built on the back of their 2001 draft and father sons Hawks did well with 3 top picks that they hit with all 3 picks
Its just about impossible to get 3 picks inside 15 for Richmond even if we do bottom out

Carlton have been trying this bottoming out method for years and GC/GWS had more picks than we have had hot dinners
Times have changed these days and we now have other methods to build talent.

Great example is todays Collingwood side and the picks they have had with only Daicos , Moore as father sons De Goey and an ageing Pendles / Sidebottom round out the top 10 picks - Will they win a flag ? Who knows but the game plan is there and they are doing better than Carlton with 18 1st rounders

We have the skeletons of a great side and the kids are the unknown

Back