Roast The NGA is a complete rort and pointless waste of time, money and resources.

Remove this Banner Ad

The draft is now like going for a job and you're up against the CEO's nieces and nephews for the plum position, ie: not a level playing field.

Still perplexes me why clubs in trade week bend over backwards to give the academy clubs picks galore to cover off their kids, gotta be an AFL directive. what would GC do if no club handed them enough picks to match bids on draft night.
Thats the problem though, there will always be a team that does get its hands on a 1st round pick. We will be another team to try it next year, I don't think any of us will be complaining if we can turn our picks into an additional 1st rounder.

What I have an issue with is how the media scream blue bloody murder after the draft is done, we all saw what was happening before with all the pick swaps but the AFL media end up being outraged after it's all done. What's the deal there? Same with NGA, it was well known all those kids were going before pick 40, yet now everyone is complaining? OP is right NGA is a waste of time under the current rules.

Last edited:

The amount of times i read during trade week that clubs should deal with GC to help them out with being able to get their academy kids was sickening, * GC why should clubs help them like i've said. Imagine if GC went into this draft with not enough points to get said kids.

They would need to scramble on draft night offering up future firsts and the like, this is where clubs need to stop complaining and start getting smarter, make them pay and * them up for the next years draft.

The amount of times i read during trade week that clubs should deal with GC to help them out with being able to get their academy kids was sickening, * GC why should clubs help them like i've said. Imagine if GC went into this draft with not enough points to get said kids.

They would need to scramble on draft night offering up future firsts and the like, this is where clubs need to stop complaining and start getting smarter, make them pay and * them up for the next years draft.
It’s easy to say but in reality if clubs are getting well compensated for making deals with the suns what is the point of trying to make a stand if actually means clubs can’t make the moves they want to make

Our whole draft/trade strategy for next year seeming revolves around us stockpiling picks so we can trade them off to clubs with father son/academy picks in order to break into the top end of the first round

I don’t like the drafting system right now but it’s not Gold Coast, GWS or any other clubs fault

They are just working to maximise what they can do in the system they operate in (as they should)

Trying to punish the suns won’t fix the issue when it’s the afl itself who are the ones who created the mess and the only ones who can fix it

The draft is now like going for a job and you're up against the CEO's nieces and nephews for the plum position, ie: not a level playing field.

Still perplexes me why clubs in trade week bend over backwards to give the academy clubs picks galore to cover off their kids, gotta be an AFL directive. what would GC do if no club handed them enough picks to match bids on draft night.
Clubs don’t give them picks to help them, they trade picks to get a better pick in return. Like we will be trying to do next year.

Jay Clark bias against Richmond shown in his reporting of barren academy zones.
Left off Richmond who has only selected only one NGA player (Derek Eggmolesse-Smith 9 games)

There is also a call to reassess the next generation academy zone boundaries for Victorian clubs due to some “barren catchment areas”.

Geelong, Adelaide, Carlton and Melbourne have only taken two players each from their NGA’s over the past eight years.

“There’s different zones are stronger than others and right at the moment if there was a way to even that up a bit, I think that would be good,” legendary Geelong recruiter Stephen Wells said.

1st thing they need to do is alter the rules around bidding for these kids.

Thats the problem though, there will always be a team that does get its hands on a 1st round pick. We will be another team to try it next year, I don't think any of us will be complaining if we can turn our picks into an additional 1st rounder.

What I have an issue with is how the media scream blue bloody murder after the draft is done, we all saw what was happening before with all the pick swaps but the AFL media end up being outraged after it's all done. What's the deal there? Same with NGA, it was well known all those kids were going before pick 40, yet now everyone is complaining? OP is right NGA is a waste of time under the current rules.
It's almost like the media have only just figured it out when it's been happening for many yrs now. As above we all saw this coming a mile away. Tho i guess now that Whateley has mentioned the topic something will get done now as it seems he's 1 of the very few they bother listening to.

Yeah if you can only get a guy not good enough to go top 40 there is no point spending money on it. Let the AFL fund it the malakas
It's funny how up Nth they are fine with that but complain till the cows come with that as their argument for how they claim to justify it as a fair system.

NGA's Pala Kuma earns VFL contract.....​

I was bored so I just looked him up, he's a HBF from Bendigo Pioneers who averaged 12 touches. Nothing remarkable. Considering we've got a dozen HBF on the actual list seems completely pointless. Sad fact is Pala is already our 2nd most successful graduate even if he has 10 knee reco's or goes back home tomorrow. Eggy played 9 games and only one good game. For all the clubs support it's a bottomless pit and by far worst return on investment in the history of the club. None of our current NGA are rated highly and odds are will amount to nothing. The club posted photos and a video of our current crop training at Punt Rd and i'm assuming a fair few must have a Scandinavian albino parent to qualify????

"Over the past eight years since the next generation academies were introduced for the 14 other clubs, four of those clubs – Melbourne, Geelong, Carlton and Adelaide – have taken only two players each via their own academy. And the two Cats (Ted Clohesy and Blake Schlensog) have played one game combined, the two Crows (Tariek Newchurch and James Borlase) managed four matches and the two Blues (Domanic Akuei and Harrison Macreadie) appeared nine times.

Essendon has picked five players totaling nine games and West Coast has also taken five for 14 matches since 2016. Of the 124 AFL players taken in the academy system over the past decade, 43 have played 0 games. That is one third. Seventy-two academy products have played 10 AFL games or less."

The non-Northern clubs need to band together and tell the AFL the NGA is a complete farce and should be scrapped as it's not fooling anyone and gold Coast are about to be handed a potential Dynasty with their legitimate academy. 4 kids picked up cheaply in the top 26 picks in one draft is a joke compared to Eggmollessy not even being rated in the top 126 picks his year as our only "success" in 8 years. I'd rather the money be spent on Richo's IVF to produce a son, his new father son Academy, the players end of season trip, hell vouchers for Dusty at the Gallery would be more beneficial.

IMO the biggest scam of the NGA is kids who were born in Melbourne, started Auskick age 5, played junior footy right through but because one parent was born overseas they qualify as NGA. I could name a dozen kids like this. Christian Moraes who will get drafted early is Hawks NGA. Melbourne born footy his whole life but his Dad is Brazilian.
Total scam

(Log in to remove this ad.)

theres plenty of traditional melbourne clubs that are struggling and have struggled for a long time. the AFL would let a club like Norf fold while simultaneously pumping funds and high draft picks in GC. the NGA is just another way to give northern clubs an advantage and keep pushing that growth scheme while all the other clubs thatve been doing this for 100 years get shafted. there needs to be a serious revolt against the current regime, it's beyond corrupt, it's just flagrantly immoral.

AFL Let North fold?
Didnt they get priority picks? the draft is a tool of equalisation.

100 year old NMFC was always a small club but TV rights are huge value.
Trad Melbourne clubs have a 100 year pool of latent talent.
Suns & Giants do not.

Suns are a 12 year old entity. Performing awfully in the AFL but being successful in the VFL & AFLW. What the clubb is killing it is "developing" local talent. I'd suggest it won't be 4 every year through. Will these all play?

Like RFC eventually ended up with Lynch, Prestia and Caddy. And Taranto & Hopper.

why do they need such a massive assistance in developing local talent? how many of our cornerstone premiership players have we drafted from interstate?

they were always going to lose players due to the sheer volume of high picks they get and limited spots in the 22. If you're a top 10 pick you're not hanging around forever waiting to get your pay day. hence why we've shook loose a few stars from there, they're not fighting tooth and nail to keep them knowing there's a 20 odd year old talent waiting in the wings starting to look at their options elsewhere.

NGA is for multicultural players?

As you point out, not much "reward" out of them, as such. What is the cost of running these academies?

A couple of coaches? A few staff?

For RFC, Its a PR exercise. Build bonds with multicultural communities. Like Bachar & our NGI

Chol, Bigoa, LeFau at the club is great. Academy or not.

A huge change from the 60s

Swans and Lions have academies too.

GWS go to school on the Suns. Have access to in-demand high draft pick player which they trade for year in year out.

I live in NNSW and AFL is booming. Local AFLW team just bumped a grade for going undefeated. SUNS mens team have preseason clinics.

A rank and file team from North Goldie had a Weekend in my town. practice games, but GPS, paid players, paid coaches. lots from Vicco.

Gold Coast academy must be heavily funded by the AFL. So many junior teams need coaching. 4 players this year is a huge success.

They can't all play and I see players like academy recruit Davies in the market if he can't secure a spot.

Suns AFL have underachieved for a long time, (VFL & AFLW teams doing better) but they still got reasonable crowds last year. I travel an hour, people come down from Brizzy.

At one point the club were paying for 4 kids to board at private schools like Caulfield Grammar costing >$50k each kid per year. Another kid this year we're picking up the tab. Who knows how many over the journey. So we're not talking chump change!!!!!

Not one of these kids has thanked the club in any way shape or form as a sign of gratitude. None have played reserves, worked in the office or anything. One of them was a clone of Clayton Oliver but paler. As with the endless "indigenous" labour group hire companies that have been busted rorting the system the only thing required to gain all the advantages is to tick a box stating your indigenous heritage ...... of course no one ever lies when it comes to gaining freebies and advantages in life 🤔🤔🤔🤣🤣🤣

At one point the club were paying for 4 kids to board at private schools like Caulfield Grammar costing >$50k each kid per year. Another kid this year we're picking up the tab. Who knows how many over the journey. So we're not talking chump change!!!!!

Not one of these kids has thanked the club in any way shape or form as a sign of gratitude. None have played reserves, worked in the office or anything. One of them was a clone of Clayton Oliver but paler. As with the endless "indigenous" labour group hire companies that have been busted rorting the system the only thing required to gain all the advantages is to tick a box stating your indigenous heritage ...... of course no one ever lies when it comes to gaining freebies and advantages in life 🤔🤔🤔🤣🤣🤣

Richmond has been such a tremendous club in recent years with the way it looks after Aboriginal players and families. They have really led the way in many respects and their association with MITS is fantastic. Don't be that one supporter who spolis it. Questioning the colour of someone's skin when it comes to Aboriginality can be pretty damn offence to Aboriginals.

IMO the biggest scam of the NGA is kids who were born in Melbourne, started Auskick age 5, played junior footy right through but because one parent was born overseas they qualify as NGA. I could name a dozen kids like this. Christian Moraes who will get drafted early is Hawks NGA. Melbourne born footy his whole life but his Dad is Brazilian.
Total scam
Also add when GWS could recruit kids via their Academy from Broken Hill. My Uncle played Footy there in the 70's....

Yea it is a bit of a rort ,the cat b is better idea , not sure why we couldn’t sign yassine under this
yassine is a talent for sure, too small? I cant work out why no ones given him a shot. agility and speed off the charts. like castagna with skill.

Congratulations to newly-signed Richmond VFL players Sam Frangalas and Harry Scott, who have joined Tom Bower and Harry Broderick as father-son Tigers.

For me personally I want ALL NGA funds diverted to Richos Academy. Why burn money on something that has yielded a single grain of rice in 8 years with nothing on the horizon. I looked in the clubs annual financial report and its so vague that I have no idea on what the budget is. With all the Private boarding schools, flights, travel, accommodation, staff resources, rorting and whatever other freebies I'm guesstimating it would be $100k - $200k????

As we know our father sons database has been pretty empty but lately it's filling up. For mine it's an epic clusterf@ck that the Richo academy was only started 6 months ago. I don't know about all other clubs but know the Bulldogs and Bombers have been up and running for 20 years.

When we see the Bulldogs have had success with sons of Liberatore, Darcy, West, Hunter, Wallis, Croft, Cordy and others it's clearly been a wise investment. Can only imagine if from the age of 12 the sons of Knights, Broderick, Turner, Naish, Bower, Lambert, Weightman etc had been getting taught little nuances and preparation tricks and elite skills coaching they might’ve been success stories. Surely by 15 the club would identify the cream and really start investing resources giving them free gym memberships, access to dieticians and protein powder and even training with the AFL team on school holidays and some sort of buddy system where Naish could've been matched with McIntosh or Turners boy with Rance???

The father sons who look 100% will make the list by their bottom age U18 through All Australian selections etc the club could have Carte Blanche to spend whatevers necessary to create the next Joel Bowden or Richo. Christ imagine if 12- 18 yo Richo was spending some of his school holidays with Royce Hart/ Peter Hudson working on his goal kicking and had Disco Roach as his mentor/ buddy he might’ve kicked 1500 goals????

The odds of landing a genuine star outside pick 40 for the Tigers has now proven so remote that its a waste of time and effort. Our luck is we finally get a kid with prospects and he's either completely untouchable taken in the top 5 or some spiteful smart arse club takes a kid ranked at pick 50 at pick 37/38/39 (happened to 3 clubs last year) just to shaft us.

"Gary Frangalas and Allister Scott both played for the Richmond Football Club during the 90s. Gary Frangalas played 68 games in his seven-year career, including 17 games for the Tigers between 1986 and 1989 after moving from the Sydney Swans.
Allister Scott would start his career at Richmond after being selected with pick 13 in the 1989 VFL Draft. He would go on to record 19 games with the club from 1990 to 1993."

Last edited:

Congratulations to newly-signed Richmond VFL players Sam Frangalas and Harry Scott, who have joined Tom Bower and Harry Broderick as father-son Tigers.

For me personally I want ALL NGA funds diverted to Richos Academy. Why burn money on something that has yielded a single grain of rice in 8 years with nothing on the horizon. I looked in the clubs annual financial report and its so vague that I have no idea on what the budget is. With all the Private boarding schools, flights, travel, accommodation, staff resources, rorting and whatever other freebies I'm guesstimating it would be $100k - $200k????

As we know our father sons database has been pretty empty but lately it's filling up. For mine it's an epic clusterf@ck that the Richo academy was only started 6 months ago. I don't know about all other clubs but know the Bulldogs and Bombers have been up and running for 20 years.

When we see the Bulldogs have had success with sons of Liberatore, Darcy, West, Hunter, Wallis, Croft, Cordy and others it's clearly been a wise investment. Can only imagine if from the age of 12 the sons of Knights, Broderick, Turner, Naish, Bower, Lambert, Weightman etc had been getting taught little nuances and preparation tricks and elite skills coaching they might’ve been success stories. Surely by 15 the club would identify the cream and really start investing resources giving them free gym memberships, access to dieticians and protein powder and even training with the AFL team on school holidays and some sort of buddy system where Naish could've been matched with McIntosh or Turners boy with Rance???

The father sons who look 100% will make the list by their bottom age U18 through All Australian selections etc the club could have Carte Blanche to spend whatevers necessary to create the next Joel Bowden or Richo. Christ imagine if 12- 18 yo Richo was spending some of his school holidays with Royce Hart/ Peter Hudson working on his goal kicking and had Disco Roach as his mentor/ buddy he might’ve kicked 1500 goals????

The odds of landing a genuine star outside pick 40 for the Tigers has now proven so remote that its a waste of time and effort. Our luck is we finally get a kid with prospects and he's either completely untouchable taken in the top 5 or some spiteful smart arse club takes a kid ranked at pick 50 at pick 37/37/39 (happened to 3 clubs last year) just to shaft us.

"Gary Frangalas and Allister Scott both played for the Richmond Football Club during the 90s. Gary Frangalas played 68 games in his seven-year career, including 17 games for the Tigers between 1986 and 1989 after moving from the Sydney Swans.
Allister Scott would start his career at Richmond after being selected with pick 13 in the 1989 VFL Draft. He would go on to record 19 games with the club from 1990 to 1993."
af98c-this.gif

The odds of landing a genuine star outside pick 40 for the Tigers has now proven so remote that its a waste of time and effort. Our luck is we finally get a kid with prospects and he's either completely untouchable taken in the top 5 or some spiteful smart arse club takes a kid ranked at pick 50 at pick 37/38/39 (happened to 3 clubs last year) just to shaft us.

100% agree, bloody good post!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back