U18 Champs Round 3 - Vic Metro vs Vic Country

Remove this Banner Ad

Sounds like we might get a steal with Naish in the third round.

He will cost one of your first rounders.

But don't stress it will be a pick well spent.

He "ozzes" class.

He is impressive the next few month will be important.
I have him in the 12 - 18 range... but closer to 12 at the minute.
Would be very surprised if he bobbled out to the 30 mark.

Do you think someone will bid on him inside the top 10? Is he that good? I thought he was more a 15-30 pick.
How many Brisbane academy kids have you bid on in the last couple of years?

Brisbane own Ports pick. Where do you see your two first round picks falling in relation to Port?

Bishop, D_P_S and anyone else at the game.
What happened to LDU? He had a good first quarter, kicked that goal at the beginning of the second quarter, then seems to have disappeared.

He booted that goal which was his ninth disposal - went absolutely missing after that when Metro started to win back some of the work at the stoppages through guys like Adam Cerra. Davies went and rested deep at Full Forward at times but just couldnt get back into the game.

He booted that goal which was his ninth disposal - went absolutely missing after that when Metro started to win back some of the work at the stoppages through guys like Adam Cerra. Davies went and rested deep at Full Forward at times but just couldnt get back into the game.
Any concern from the scouts and club personnel?

Any concern from the scouts and club personnel?

Not from the ones I sat with/spoke to. Obviously disappointing - but you look at the moments in the opening quarter and that goal in the 2nd quarter and that's elite. Not too many kids have elite four quarter games in U18 Champs - think Andy McGrath for example in the game v Vic Country he wasn't too influential and then bang went onto Ainsworth and changed the game in the 3rd/4th quarter.

Obviously they would've wanted more from Davies-Uniacke - but I'd argue that's his worst game for the year and he still did some superb things early.

Not from the ones I sat with/spoke to. Obviously disappointing - but you look at the moments in the opening quarter and that goal in the 2nd quarter and that's elite. Not too many kids have elite four quarter games in U18 Champs - think Andy McGrath for example in the game v Vic Country he wasn't too influential and then bang went onto Ainsworth and changed the game in the 3rd/4th quarter.

Obviously they would've wanted more from Davies-Uniacke - but I'd argue that's his worst game for the year and he still did some superb things early.
All he had to do was kick that goal and his draft range wouldn't had been effected at all, he is a star plain and simple I don't think clubs would be worried in the slightest

First time to see him and as you pinged out those early things he did stood out. Was dissapointed for the rest of his game. Was pretty impressed by Rayner and like LDU did go quiet as the game wore on. If you had pick 1 out of the two who would you go for? We need to keep building our midfield desperately but Rayner, eventhough his endurance is lacking at the moment, looks like a person who could win a game off his own boot almost, a match winner. What are your thoughts on the two?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

First time to see him and as you pinged out those early things he did stood out. Was dissapointed for the rest of his game. Was pretty impressed by Rayner and like LDU did go quiet as the game wore on. If you had pick 1 out of the two who would you go for? We need to keep building our midfield desperately but Rayner, eventhough his endurance is lacking at the moment, looks like a person who could win a game off his own boot almost, a match winner. What are your thoughts on the two?

I'd take the pure midfielder Davies-Uniacke - there's no guarentee Rayner's endurance improves as large as everyone expects. You can't be running a sub 12 beep and then suddenly become an elite endurance athlete.

Rayner is a forward than pinch hits in the midfield - yes he's damaging/powerful/explosive & superb overhead which are great traits, at AFL level if you can't run you get found out.

Davies-Uniacke is a star - Saturday was by far his worst game of the season and that first 27 minutes of game time was still elite.

Both Davies-Uniacke & Rayner went quiet in the second half compared to what they did in the first half.

yeah I had mixed views on the game. part of me was thinking the game was held in ideal conditions yet it was incredibly fumbly early on.

I dont go in much for draft rankings just yet but to be fair I have had a huge question mark on Worpel kicking. His performance early was fantastic on saturday. he was arguably one of the cleanest early and his ball use was fantastic. from memory both were on the stand wing and he was hitting lace out.

Naish and Constable were risers for me and you'd have to happy with Sutherland game given it was his first non school game and . Coffield has some great traits doesnt he.

I'm wondering what the reason was behind Davies Uniacke disappearing for the better part of three quarters. Isn't he s player with a good mix of endurance/contested ball winning ability? If he is lacking in one of these areas it would have to be a cause for concern. Loved his ruining goal but couldn't get himself into the game when the heat was really on. Of all games to go missing you wouldn't want to do it in country vs. Metro.

I also really liked Coffield's game, reminds me a little of Dyson Heppell at times as a half back who looks to have a lot more to his game.

Sutherland is pretty special, hope he chooses footy.

I'm wondering what the reason was behind Davies Uniacke disappearing for the better part of three quarters. Isn't he s player with a good mix of endurance/contested ball winning ability? If he is lacking in one of these areas it would have to be a cause for concern. Loved his ruining goal but couldn't get himself into the game when the heat was really on. Of all games to go missing you wouldn't want to do it in country vs. Metro.

find me a player that has done well in every quarter of every game he's played.......

tough crowd. LDU has 9 touches and a goal in the first quarter and all anyone can talk about is how he was quiet for the remainder of the game.

find me a player that has done well in every quarter of every game he's played.......

tough crowd. LDU has 9 touches and a goal in the first quarter and all anyone can talk about is how he was quiet for the remainder of the game.
I can't find you a player that has done well in every quarter that they've played. I can find you one that has played great every quarter they've played this season apart from 3. LDU, who disappeared on Saturday in the biggest game of the national championships in a game broadcast on the AFL website. As someone with a vested interested in the draft and where I should rate these players in order it's not being too harsh to at least figure out why. If it's simply because he's a player that doesn't handle an increased intensity or pressure very well then that's a legitimate cause for concern. Of all the games so far this season that you'd want to turn in a good 4 quarter performance, this would've been the one especially if you are trying to distance yourself from the rest at the top of the order.

If I had pick 1 I would be looking for a player that steps up in these games, and I feel like Rayner was the one that really put his foot forward in that regard. He has question marks over his endurance so his quieter second half can be excused to an extent. Worpel also looked the best he had all season and his tackling and contested ability when complimented with the way he used the ball on the weekend made him stand out for VC.

I can't find you a player that has done well in every quarter that they've played. I can find you one that has played great every quarter they've played this season apart from 3. LDU, who disappeared on Saturday in the biggest game of the national championships in a game broadcast on the AFL website. As someone with a vested interested in the draft and where I should rate these players in order it's not being too harsh to at least figure out why. If it's simply because he's a player that doesn't handle an increased intensity or pressure very well then that's a legitimate cause for concern. Of all the games so far this season that you'd want to turn in a good 4 quarter performance, this would've been the one especially if you are trying to distance yourself from the rest at the top of the order.

If I had pick 1 I would be looking for a player that steps up in these games, and I feel like Rayner was the one that really put his foot forward in that regard. He has question marks over his endurance so his quieter second half can be excused to an extent. Worpel also looked the best he had all season and his tackling and contested ability when complimented with the way he used the ball on the weekend made him stand out for VC.

all reasonable points.

my view is that those that place too great an emphasis on one game or "big stage" games end up over-valuing players.

you see the same thing in the NCAA Basketball tournament. Some players boost their stock by playing well in this tournament, some teams push them up the rankings because "they lifted on the big stage". This results in players who have performed well over a much larger sample size of games to get pushed down and this results in steals occurring down the draft. Whereas all too often, the guys that had a great 2 week run in the Tournament end up as either busts or not as good as expected/hoped.

Rayner also wasn't great in the 2nd half btw.

LDU's draft value didn't change at all imo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back