Recommitted Nat Fyfe [re-signed]

Remove this Banner Ad

What garbage journalism that is.

Estimates on both the value of the deal and no understanding of the years involved. If he had some genuine information on the contract, surely he would have an indication on year length.

So the amount under the salary cap is $1,200,000 per year over an unknown amount of years with an unknown amount of additional income to be brought in through marketing.

Is there a worse line in journalism than "It is understood"? He doesn't say anything to substantiate this, nor does it appear that he has contacted the clubs in question to see why this interest has supposedly diminished. Is it due to his injuries (which he later implies), is it due to indicating he was never Fremantle (which he has continued to do) or is it because they are chasing other targets?

So which is it? He has been closely lined or they have no interest?

This isn't just Fyfe, this is the same with Martin, Kelly and any number of high profile players. I understand they are trying to sell advertising space but articles like this seem so poorly researched with little to no comments from any of the parties involved. Shouldn't he be contacting St Kilda and Carlton for comment? And if he has why not let us know they do not want to comment.

Has he contacted Fyfe's management for comment? Or is it all just speculation and innuendo?

You know they send these articles to managers and clubs before they publish them right?

If something was waay off, the club or managers would have them change it.

You think 1.2mil +200k marketing is waay off?

What do you think freo paid?

I would have thought in the new 20% inflated world 1.2mil base is well within the ballpark of what freo would pay their young brownlow winning captain?
o_O

You know they send these articles to managers and clubs before they publish them right?

I would have thought in the new 20% inflated world 1.2mil base is well within the ballpark of what freo would pay their young brownlow winning captain?
o_O

I am on record as saying $1,200,000 is about right for Fremantle to pay him. I never said anything about the contract because until the club confirms it there is nothing in here other than speculation and guess work. No sources, not even an indication of sources.

My gripe is not with his contract it is with articles like this and in particular this media personality and the stories that he writes.

They may send them to the media manager but that doesn't mean they confirm or deny anything. Fremantle for the last few years have been clear about not conducting any contract talks through the media and I doubt that the media manager would bother correcting a speculation article.

There is nothing in there to correct because it contains no substance. "It is believed" and "reports of" are hardly facts that should be corrected.

o_O

Do you know who Kim Hagdorn is?
There is no way on earth that he would run those figures past a manager or the club.

Hagdorn is aware that Fyfe's manager is negotiating with the club, because Fyfe stated that a week ago. He's just put two and two together and is hoping to get the scoop.
He's produced figures as fact, because the figures never get announced. He may be right, but that would be down to guesswork, which we can all do, and not inside knowledge.
He's less sure about the length of the contract because that will be announced when the contract gets signed.

I'm OK with $1.2M p.a. as base salary so long as the $200K is marketing (off the salary cap). I'm less happy if it's $1.4M p.a. included in the salary cap but can live with it.

Hackdorn needs to go learn grade 2 maths or get a calculator. In what world does $1.4M p.a. over 3 or 4 years equal $6M?

Could be $6 mil over 4 front loaded so that it's 1.4 in his first couple of years.

Much more likely that the figures are deliberately vague cos he doesn't actually know what they are. We'll find out when it's properly announced.

Could be $6 mil over 4 front loaded so that it's 1.4 in his first couple of years.

Much more likely that the figures are deliberately vague cos he doesn't actually know what they are. We'll find out when it's properly announced.
That still doesn't make senses because more than 50% would have to be paid over the remaining two years of his contract. Either way you slice it, $1.4M over 3 or 4 years does not equal $6M

That still doesn't make senses because more than 50% would have to be paid over the remaining two years of his contract. Either way you slice it, $1.4M over 3 or 4 years does not equal $6M

It's a very confusing article that contradicts itself in more than one place. I shouldn't even be trying to nut it out tbh. It's Hagdorn

Edit: Sorry my maths was off, I seriously doubt Fyfe has signed for an average of $1.5 mil a year

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

if he gets a cent more than a million good on him on a personal level really

Agree. He's a fair bit off the player he was.

Maybe he just had a Kouta season but 1.2m is ridiculous on current form.

He wouldnt be top 50 in the comp atm.

Did you catch his last game? 10 coaches votes, started to look like the Fyfe of old.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back