Recommitted Nat Fyfe [Re-Signed to 2025]

Remove this Banner Ad

What sort of Ambassador would Fyfe be?

The AFL would need to make something new up on the run. So BAU for them.

Naitanui and Coniglio are ambassadors due to background / heritage as was Houli.

Fyfe was / is a great football player. Not sure about leadership credentials.
He’s been an AFL Captain for six years and has always worked extremely hard to get the best out of himself.

It was during a rebuild but he has been at the helm and turned the club around so I would think that would be desired by struggling clubs.

If you want a comparison, he’s got a 40% win rate as Captain while Shuey has a 29% win rate. Do you rate Shuey’s Leadership?

He’s been an AFL Captain for six years and has always worked extremely hard to get the best out of himself.

It was during a rebuild but he has been at the helm and turned the club around so I would think that would be desired by struggling clubs.

If you want a comparison, he’s got a 40% win rate as Captain while Shuey has a 29% win rate. Do you rate Shuey’s Leadership?

Shuey leadership hasn't been questioned.

Fyfe's style and personality has over the journey.

Shuey leadership hasn't been questioned.

Fyfe's style and personality has over the journey.
Hasn’t it? So the team being unfit for the past two seasons has nothing to do with the Captain? Maybe they should be asking some questions?

The only questioning Fyfe has had is from the same parts of the WA media doing the usual whiteanting & tall poppy syndrome.

What sort of Ambassador would Fyfe be?

The AFL would need to make something new up on the run. So BAU for them.

Naitanui and Coniglio are ambassadors due to background / heritage as was Houli.

Fyfe was / is a great football player. Not sure about leadership credentials.

Ambassadors due to background ?.

Pretty obvious that Fyfe could be paid ambassador money, due his promotion of the trucking industry.

If the AFL called it rort money it would make it easier to understand.

If true that Coniglio is paid ambassador money due to his background, it’s a total rort. He must be the 1000th “Italian” to pass through the Black Ducks, it is a normal occurrence.

As for Fyfe’s leadership, we’ll he wasn’t the worst captain in WA last season.

If the rest of Fyfe's season plays out that way Round 1 did, I can very realistically see him initiating a trade at the end of this season.

He is not a key cog in Freo's future, but they could still get great value for him.

If the rest of Fyfe's season plays out that way Round 1 did, I can very realistically see him initiating a trade at the end of this season.

He is not a key cog in Freo's future, but they could still get great value for him.
Would they get good value for him though? Will be 32 at the end of the year, probably hasn't played an elite season since pre covid (maybe 2020 but i kinda spaced covid ball out).

Would they get good value for him though? Will be 32 at the end of the year, probably hasn't played an elite season since pre covid (maybe 2020 but i kinda spaced covid ball out).
He'd still be a walk-up start to half the leagues midfield. Its where he needs to be ... he's only fwd because they told him so ... not coz he asked or wanted it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What would you define as good value and who do you think would be willing to trade it?
Good questions.

Good value to freo right now is an established key position forward. Naughton is contracted to end of 2024 and a WA boy so it seems a likely scenario and relieve WB of the pressures in their tall fwd line (uglehagan, darcy, lobb).

It wouldn't be in WB interests to straight swap, so Freo would need to add a pick. Their compo from logue/tucker trade (pick 20)

If fyfe remains uncontracted this year, and refuses to sign freos offer ... can he walk for nothing? Freo could sign him and pay % of contract too.

I’m surprised no one has floated the idea of a Fyfe-Ross reunion. Saints were one of the front runners for him back in 2016 weren’t they?

I'd do it.

Our list (from an age profile perspective) is primed to be challenging for a flag over the next few years.

Now that we (in theory) have a coach and a gameplan that will get the most out of the list- I'm all for us rolling the dice on someone like fyfe.

Fyfe as an UFA and max kings brother in for 2 first rounders and away we go (in theory)

I'm not convinced he isn't cooked, so would be pretty risky to invest big coin in a player who will be 32 by the start of next season

Offering him a performance based contract with big bucks (well beyond what he could make at freo) for hitting games played/brownlow votes/bnf finish etc triggers takes care of that.

A lot depends on how his body holds up this year and/or how long they keep up this forward line experiment (which is doomed to fail imo.)

He's a mid (resting fwd) or nothing.

Offering him a performance based contract with big bucks (well beyond what he could make at freo) for hitting games played/brownlow votes/bnf finish etc triggers takes care of that.

A lot depends on how his body holds up this year and/or how long they keep up this forward line experiment (which is doomed to fail imo.)

He's a mid (resting fwd) or nothing.
Would be silly to give up a decent contract for the bloke and he isn’t going to pack up and move from WA unless he is guaranteed his money so you can count a performance based contract out

Doubt we’d even consider going after him to be honest

Our list (from an age profile perspective) is primed to be challenging for a flag over the next few years.
Not having a go, do you really think this?

Media have been running with the rebuild has failed etc and Ross has been pushing that, probably strategically.

My feeling is Fyfe to st Kilda is hannerbury mk ii

Not having a go, do you really think this?

Media have been running with the rebuild has failed etc and Ross has been pushing that, probably strategically.

My feeling is Fyfe to st Kilda is hannerbury mk ii

With only a few exceptions (sinclair, wilkie, king, maybe steele) basically none of our best 22 have played career best footy in the last 2 years.

This is despite most, if not all of them being in their prime years.

Of course it looks like the rebuild has failed- most of our list have either stagnated or gone backwards at a time when they should be performing at their peak.

Ratten had a very unique hands off approach to coaching- deliberately very light on for tactics and structure (instead giving the whole team full licence to 'create' and have fun etc).

It clearly wasn't a good fit for the group (given most stalled or went backwards).

(Imo) You can't yet say with any confidence that the rebuild has failed- when most of the best 22 haven't individually played their best football in years (that they have demonstrated they are capable of in the past).

But the point is- the structure based coaching they are now under will get the bulk of our best 22 far closer to playing career best footy than under rattens style.

Whether our current cattle (playing at or near their peak) are good enough to actually seriously challenge for a flag remains to be seen- but i for one am pretty confident we've had a massive handbrake on this list for years... which is now off.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back