Recommitted Finn Maginness [signs til 2025]

Remove this Banner Ad

And now claimed the scalp of clarry

14 touches to 13 in the matchup

Even then, Maginness matched Oliver "head to head". Oliver earned almost half his touches in the last quarter once Finn finally left him alone and went to stop their rebound from HBF instead.

2 v 4 (+2 Finn) in Q1
4 v 2 (+2 Oliver) in Q2
4 v 4 (Tie) in Q3

at 3/4 time it was 8 touches each.

Q4 - Finn went to Rivers who'd cut us up all day.

He's a good tagger but how many clubs actually do it and do it properly? Not many. There's probably 100 afl players that could tag like Maginness if not better if given the role.
100 You reckon...

Out of the 800 players in the league

1 in 8 players would be better taggers than Finn Maginess

Gotcha

He's a good tagger but how many clubs actually do it and do it properly? Not many. There's probably 100 afl players that could tag like Maginness if not better if given the role.
Unlikely. Not many have the endurance or the size that they do it on inside and outside players

It's harder than it looks.

Even when not deployed as taggers, players go to Oliver at every stoppage with a complete focus on preventing him getting it and most of the time they fail.

On the weekend, Tom Mitchell (a pretty handy player himself) tried to shut down Neale and completely failed.

One of the reasons coaches don't often do it is that it often doesn't represent a clear enough win because who they deploy as a stopper often end up slightly curbing influence without completely stopping them. Finn, on the other hand, has been able to completely shut down the opposition's best player every week (regardless of style).

I'd say there'd be few players capable of doing as effectively as he has (which should bring comfort as I doubt anyone will be able to stop Oliver in finals in the way Finn did).

Nah.

Finn's a unique beast. Big, strong and a massive tank.

He's not scragging or using any unsavoury methods. He's given away 1 free kick in the last six weeks.

The flexibility of Finn is what makes him a really good tagger. Good size, strong, excellent endurance, pretty quick ……… can tag many types from wingman to inside mid bulls. He is working on other parts of his game is far from a finished product. Glad we got him as he definitely adds another string to Sammy’s bow!

The elephant in the room, is that he is only a mediocre midfielder if not playing a tagging role. If we are being honest, his disposal and decision making is only borderline AFL standard. He is a classic "Special Teams" guy to borrow an NFL term.

So credit to him (and the coaching team) for redefining Finn's role in the last 2 years, and making him ultra useful in specific circumstances. There will be games where he gets dropped through lack of an obvious matchup. Through no fault of his own.

BUT.. In terms of trade value, you need to identify that he has one very effective trick. You are not getting a great example of league standard midfielder, so how to put a price on that?

Unlikely. Not many have the endurance or the size that they do it on inside and outside players

It's harder than it looks.

Even when not deployed as taggers, players go to Oliver at every stoppage with a complete focus on preventing him getting it and most of the time they fail.

On the weekend, Tom Mitchell (a pretty handy player himself) tried to shut down Neale and completely failed.

One of the reasons coaches don't often do it is that it often doesn't represent a clear enough win because who they deploy as a stopper often end up slightly curbing influence without completely stopping them. Finn, on the other hand, has been able to completely shut down the opposition's best player every week (regardless of style).

I'd say there'd be few players capable of doing as effectively as he has (which should bring comfort as I doubt anyone will be able to stop Oliver in finals in the way Finn did).
James Harmes used to shut down the competitons best back in about 2018. but he's simply not deployed in that role anymore.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I didn't say 1 in 8 better. I said 100 to be just as good.
Just as ridiculous and Goodwin is losing cred by the day. Oliver 14 Maginness 13 yep he doesn’t get the ball. And Grundy is a forward. You will not win a flag playing Paul Roos football you clown.
*covid flags for money and entertainment don’t count.

Just as ridiculous and Goodwin is losing cred by the day. Oliver 14 Maginness 13 yep he doesn’t get the ball. And Grundy is a forward. You will not win a flag playing Paul Roos football you clown.
*covid flags for money and entertainment don’t count.
😄 🤣 hanging your hat on keeping a guy who has just returned from 3 months out of the game to 14 possessions...

Haha, that's weird coz a lot of the teams seemed to be trying very hard in 2021 to win a flag that didn't count. Maybe they didn't know?

😄 🤣 hanging your hat on keeping a guy who has just returned from 3 months out of the game to 14 possessions...

Haha, that's weird coz a lot of the teams seemed to be trying very hard in 2021 to win a flag that didn't count. Maybe they didn't know?

I mean he had 27 and 10 clearances the week prior.

I don't think you lose that much conditioning from an itchy nose.

There would be hardly anyone who could do as complete a job as Finn does.

He’s a bit of a unicorn where physically he is just about as good as can be. It’s just that he struggles finding and winning the football. But give him a negating job and he sticks to it perfectly all game while being fitter than everyone who he goes to. So it’s not like he can be out worked.

Pretty much any other player of his size, strength and running ability would be a top midfielder so they wouldn’t be a tagger.

The elephant in the room, is that he is only a mediocre midfielder if not playing a tagging role. If we are being honest, his disposal and decision making is only borderline AFL standard. He is a classic "Special Teams" guy to borrow an NFL term.

So credit to him (and the coaching team) for redefining Finn's role in the last 2 years, and making him ultra useful in specific circumstances. There will be games where he gets dropped through lack of an obvious matchup. Through no fault of his own.

BUT.. In terms of trade value, you need to identify that he has one very effective trick. You are not getting a great example of league standard midfielder, so how to put a price on that?

well you cant cause hes worth more to hawthorn. no one going to trade for a tagger. now that he is resigned is up to him to improve other areas of his game like a kane cornes or cameron ling, not elite disposal skills but not a liability.

I think 100 is a pretty big exaggeration, but I agree with your general point. And I have never understood why clubs don't tag more.

I remember thinking Ryan Crowley was extraordinary. Tom Mitchell when he was young was a great tagger too. So many clubs have such a reliance on a big name, and you can really nullify many of them.

Clearly I just don't understand modern team defence, but were i an AFL coach I would be locking down a key opponent every single week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back