Recommitted Miles Bergman [Re-Signed to 2025]

Remove this Banner Ad

Cameron's form has been shocking for the last month, hence Geelong has been struggling
Last game Cameron had 21d and 2 goals plus coming off the bye he would've been fresh so shouldn't have any excuses yet I've seen Geelong fans comment it was his worst game in a cats guernsey.

No matter what form he's in he was completely outplayed. And for Bergman who has really only been used in an intercepting role, to show he can be used in a lockdown role is quite impressive I thought. So to cop criticism for only having 6 possessions yet dominating the best fwd in the comp is ridiculous.

Last game Cameron had 21d and 2 goals plus coming off the bye he would've been fresh so shouldn't have any excuses yet I've seen Geelong fans comment it was his worst game in a cats guernsey.

No matter what form he's in he was completely outplayed. And for Bergman who has really only been used in an intercepting role, to show he can be used in a lockdown role is quite impressive I thought. So to cop criticism for only having 6 possessions yet dominating the best fwd in the comp is ridiculous.
It's more so out of those 6 disposals there were 2 very horrible kick turnovers. The 6 possessions is interesting, if the ball was directed through Cameron then Bergman should have gotten more possession had he really beaten him but even Cameron only had 10 possessions himself so he wasn't even getting to a lot of the contest?

It's more so out of those 6 disposals there were 2 very horrible kick turnovers. The 6 possessions is interesting, if the ball was directed through Cameron then Bergman should have gotten more possession had he really beaten him but even Cameron only had 10 possessions himself so he wasn't even getting to a lot of the contest?
Yeah that's not really how it works, almost every key defender that plays on the opposition's best fwd is a low possession winner, so it's not like 6 possessions playing that role is a competition outlier.

You won't get any argument from me that he needs to clean his kicking up, but it's not like he's kicking 35m floaters, he gets good penetration but execution and decision making needs to improve, he's only 21 (with 2 heavily interruptrd seasons) tho so I doubt what you see now is the finished product.

At the end of the day he played a new role on a great forward and did a fantastic job. If you were getting an intercept defender that also had that skillset in his bag I'd consider that a positive, but incredibly this seems to be a negative attribute to some on here.

Did a great job defensively.

What did you think of his disposals? Be honest now.
I think it leads to the highest source of scoring endpoints in our team:

“Port Adelaide have scored more points (63) from Bergman’s intercepts than any other player.”

Give it up you’re wrong and apart from you nobody else cares and even if your point is accurate Re his disposal it doesn’t matter why doesn’t it matter

“Port Adelaide have scored more points (63) from Bergman’s intercepts than any other player.”

Let's just calm down. Cunningham kept Charlie Cameron goalless today. That doesn't move the needle in his trade value.

I think it leads to the highest source of scoring endpoints in our team:

Give it up you’re wrong and apart from you nobody else cares and even if your point is accurate Re his disposal it doesn’t matter why doesn’t it matter

Obviously you care.

I’ll make this easy for you as you’ve yet again managed to avoid answering a very simple question by deflecting and grasping at an obscure statistic with no source and no comparative against the rest of the league.

Against Geelong Bergman disposed of the ball six times and gave it to Geelong on three of those occasions.

If football was an egalitarian pursuit onfield Bergman was perfect.

“Half the time I get the ball I share it with the opposition.”

But football is not about sharing.

If Bergman deserves praise for a lock down role on Cameron, surely he deserves criticism for continuing his season long butchering of the ball in the same game?

Cal Twomey actually mentioned a pick around 10 in a recent show of his so you may be right. You may get that but as a dees fan though I would be filthy throwing away a first rounder on someone who hasn't shown offensive weaponry. He is behind Trent Rivers and I would probably only expect an early 2nd round pick for Rivers if he wanted to head home and was out of contract.
behind Trent Rivers then it will be interesting to see how Trent Rivers goes on Jeremy Cameron the next time Melbourne play Geelong

behind Trent Rivers then it will be interesting to see how Trent Rivers goes on Jeremy Cameron the next time Melbourne play Geelong
Cunningham from Sydney blanketed Charlie Cameron to 0 goals last night. In today's game there's not many true 1 on 1's. Especially with team defence. If Bergman was winning 1 on 1's and intercepting he would've had more than 6 possessions. I still tip my hat to him for keeping Cameron quiet but as Cunningham showed defenders rely a lot on the pressure of the midfield to ensure that the ball isn't coming in thick and fast. And only 43 inside 50's for Geelong supports this. That's an extremely low number of inside 50's. extremely low.

Bergman is years away, if ever, from being able to avg 20 touches a games and offer something offensively. So it's a 2 way street.

Last edited:
Obviously you care.

I’ll make this easy for you as you’ve yet again managed to avoid answering a very simple question by deflecting and grasping at an obscure statistic with no source and no comparative against the rest of the league.

Against Geelong Bergman disposed of the ball six times and gave it to Geelong on three of those occasions.

If football was an egalitarian pursuit onfield Bergman was perfect.

“Half the time I get the ball I share it with the opposition.”

But football is not about sharing.

If Bergman deserves praise for a lock down role on Cameron, surely he deserves criticism for continuing his season long butchering of the ball in the same game?
ROFL being the highest source of scoring from intercept marks is “obscure” friend what are your thoughts on climate change, 5G networks in mRNA vaccines and aliens?

Honestly your capacity for mental gymnastics is elite

Ps I addressed your point re his disposal efficiency yes it might be poor but he’s still the highest source of scores from intercepts for my team which when you consider he stands next to Aliir Aliir is actually objectively impressive but nah definitely a 3rd round pick upgrade because he turns it over every now and then 👍

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ROFL being the highest source of scoring from intercept marks is “obscure” friend what are your thoughts on climate change, 5G networks in mRNA vaccines and aliens?

Honestly your capacity for mental gymnastics is elite

Ps I addressed your point re his disposal efficiency yes it might be poor but he’s still the highest source of scores from intercepts for my team which when you consider he stands next to Aliir Aliir is actually objectively impressive but nah definitely a 3rd round pick upgrade because he turns it over every now and then 👍
Quote the source.

Marc McGowan in the age yesterday there’s an entire article on Miles

I wouldn’t even reply to the posters that have clearly watched 5 minutes of his career to date.

You can tell the guys who keep bringing up he needs to get to 20 disposals per game whilst ignoring the fact he isn’t just running off players all game / not defending 1 on 1 like half backs that do get bulk disposals.

We also have about 5 other guys who can kick and our gameplan isn’t chip chip sideways like so many other players do.

He would have nearly top 5 glue hands in the league at marking barely ever see him drop a mark whether it be contested or diving onto ones. By far the best mark in our team.

As mentioned he has an elite kicking style so literally his only weakness atm is the decision making at times but at least the ball is going forward 50m whenever he does seem to make a turnover or make a bad choice.

He could rack up 20 disposals easily if we changed our game plan, slowed everything down and chipped around the back line like so many other teams. But the cost of wanting to win with an attacking, play on gameplan is that it’s working and we’re winning, rather than prioritising a heap of cheap uncontested sideways stats.

The fact he’s still averaging 330 metres gained with 15 disposals just shows he’s as attacking as any defender that can play as an elite lockdown guy or push up the ground onto a wing when needed.

He averages pretty much the same or more contested possessions and metres gained that nearly any other defender that actually defends 1 on 1 with forwards whilst averaging 6 less touches. Just shows he doesn’t have the backwards, sideways uncontested kicks that the others do who are having more disposals in similar roles.

But yeah he’s not ‘attacking enough’ and needs to get up to that arbitrary 6 more touches a game of nothing possessions.

Last edited:
Marc McGowan in the age yesterday there’s an entire article on Miles

How does Bergman compare to the rest of the league?

Is he 9th best in the league on this points from intercepts measure, like he is 9th worst in the league for ball retention when he disposes of the ball?

Is he second best in the league on this points from intercepts measure, like he is second worst in the league on Champion Data’s kick rating measure?

A number without comparison against the broader population is just that - a number.

Is 63 points generated impressive? It’s only 4.5 points per game. In April Melbourne were generating 63 points from turnovers every game - that’s almost 3 points per player per game. With that context 4.5 points per game for a supposed intercept king (Bergman is 77th in the league on that measure) doesn’t seem particularly noteworthy.

If his intercepts are generating 4.5 points a game what are his turnovers costing Port per game? In other words what is his risk/reward position? How does he stack up against peers?

AFL teams do deep analytics for a reason. You should try to broaden your mind and perspective too.

Quote the source.
Port Adelaide Power rising star Miles Bergman heads home to Melbourne as he weighs up AFL future

“He is averaging a career-most 2.2 intercept marks, which ranks second behind Aliir Aliir at the Power and ninth among general defenders in the competition. Port Adelaide have scored more points (63) from Bergman’s intercepts than any other player.”

This thread is almost as funny as the jhf/ Rioli thread with oppo supporters telling us we would need to give up mg/ Rozee etc to get him

Is he 9th best in the league on this points from intercepts measure, like he is 9th worst in the league for ball retention when he disposes of the ball?

Is he second best in the league on this points from intercepts measure, like he is second worst in the league on Champion Data’s kick rating measure?

A number without comparison against the broader population is just that - a number.

Is 63 points generated impressive? It’s only 4.5 points per game. In April Melbourne were generating 63 points from turnovers every game - that’s almost 3 points per player per game. With that context 4.5 points per game for a supposed intercept king (Bergman is 77th in the league on that measure) doesn’t seem particularly noteworthy.

If his intercepts are generating 4.5 points a game what are his turnovers costing Port per game? In other words what is his risk/reward position? How does he stack up against peers?

AFL teams do deep analytics for a reason. You should try to broaden your mind and perspective too.
Haha, if we wanted some loose, kick scab, seagulling around half back and doing dinky little sideways 15 metre kicks we would play dbj back there or recruit a Daicos type who can’t win The hardball

Omfg are you seriously arguing that the highest source of scores from intercepts marks for the team 2nd on the ladder despite playing with Aliir who is in close to if not in AA form isn’t good enough ?

If AFL teams do deep analytics for a reason why is he in demand ? I mean it obvious isn’t it how uniquely terrible his disposal and decision making is I’m mystified why clubs can’t see this golden nugget of truth you’re offering for free for what it is 🤷‍♂️

I’m out Lampers good luck for 2023 friend I think our teams paths will cross when the whips are cracking let’s see how Miles does then eh?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back