what clever game tactics do you know?

Remove this Banner Ad

That tactic where a player does anything and Bruce macavaney is commentating?

Opens bigfooty... off a step... sees
yodellinhank... yodellinhank, you'd reckon. He has! He HAS! oooooooooaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggghhhhhhhhhhhh.... they're on page three now!!!
No other player in the competition could write a post.
He's a poster, isn't he? Gee.

A tactic I'm surprised hasn't really taken off is kick and chase. Rugby is an offside game so you can't kick the ball 50m ahead to a teammate, so you can kick for territory (now penalised in footy as deliberate if it goes out), kick it high for players to run onto and challenge the defensive line in the air or chip it ahead past the defensive line for yourself or a teammate to run onto. Given footy is just rugby without offside these days I'm surprised more guys like Brad Hill who get the ball at HB and have 30+ players behind them don't just chip the ball ahead then run on to re-gather or kick it high with the same purpose. Obvs no point Matt Priddis kicking it 30m up in the air when his man will run past him, pick it up, then run back past him.
I remember an interview a few years back with Kieren Jack, whose father, as you'd know, is rugby league legend Garry Jack. When they got onto the inevitable territory of "how does your Dad feel about his son being so successful in a different code?" he laughed and said "Dad's always calling me after a game and saying "Why don't you just chip it over the top? Just chip it over the top, Kieren!" "

Saw a good one a few years back. Player has blood streaming down his face, but the ball is in play in their forward 50. So he keeps his head down and his face away from the umps (he wasn't directly involved in the play).

There was no score and the ball was turned over to the opposition and up comes the face - "ump! I need to go off for the blood rule!"

Game is stopped, his teammates all stroll back and set up their defence while he trots off.

Forwards could use the big screens at grounds to time leads.
Example: player has ball on wing. Forward starts to lead towards goal and away from their player with ball. As the run the watch the big screen to see a signal from their teammate just before they kick it back to them. The forward can then cut back towards the kicker at perfect timing and out position their opponent.

Other option would be to watch screen to see when ball is kicked and then turnaround at perfect time to mark it. Players could also signal via screen which direction the ball will be kicked and forwards could lead that direction.

It's sounds crazy but never know it might work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I remember playing in a league that didn't have time on yeah. We were winning by about 50 points and one of their defenders late in the game had enough, so next time he got the ball he torpedoed the ball a good 55-60 meters over into a small lake. Wasted the lat 5 or 6 minutes and stopped us from our big percentage booster.
Obviously wouldn't work in AFL, unless you were doing it just for a quick breather.

If the opposition has a set shot to win the game after the siren, get a small player to sit on the shoulders of the ruckman on the goal line

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Paging Joel Bowden.

When you make an interchange while they have a set shot you hold your spare on the bench. If they score a point you kick out the interchange side and that player runs on for a simple uncontested mark.

Similar to what 10571z posted, and I think the player used was Joel Bowden.

It was in a state game and a player went off the ground, but didn't actually go through the interchange gates and no-one came on for him. Said player then joined a group of team-mates doing run throughs along the boundary line near his attacking goals. Opposition thought he was off the ground and part of the interchange group so paid no attention, but he ducked onto the ground and presented as an option.

I was on a NYE boat party a few years back where a guy was so munted he shat his dacks on the dance floor and spent the entire night dancing with an exclusion zone. The boat was small so you couldn't avoid him and you couldn't get off for hours. Filthy campaigner.

You were all on a boat and nobody considered throwing him overboard?

I remember playing in a league that didn't have time on yeah. We were winning by about 50 points and one of their defenders late in the game had enough, so next time he got the ball he torpedoed the ball a good 55-60 meters over into a small lake. Wasted the lat 5 or 6 minutes and stopped us from our big percentage booster.
Obviously wouldn't work in AFL, unless you were doing it just for a quick breather.

Why would they not just stop the clock?

It was in a state game and a player went off the ground, but didn't actually go through the interchange gates and no-one came on for him. Said player then joined a group of team-mates doing run throughs along the boundary line near his attacking goals. Opposition thought he was off the ground and part of the interchange group so paid no attention, but he ducked onto the ground and presented as an option.
Thats a bit unsporting I think. Kinda like a player pretending to be injured. Remember my coach telling me once, "you don't leave your guy, until he leaves the field, even if he's dead"

Interesting. I would be surprised if that were legal in the AFL. Does anyone know the rule?

I have been thinking of a few potential tactics to be used in close games.

1. you have the lead, race into open goal, but just sit there, waiting for someone to come get you to waste time. I think Montagna did it this year.

2. Drawn game with not long to go. after a bounce up, you have the ball in a tightly contested spot 5m from goal by the point post, so you deliberately kick a behind, than to bother going for a goal and ******* up.

3. Drawn game, Go for a try. Wrong sport I know, but what the hey.
What's a bounce up?

Thats a bit unsporting I think. Kinda like a player pretending to be injured. Remember my coach telling me once, "you don't leave your guy, until he leaves the field, even if he's dead"
It was a state game so not for points and I remember it generated some discussion at the time. Unsporting yes, but legal regardless. Maybe it prompted some rule tightening.

If the opposition has a set shot to win the game after the siren, get a small player to sit on the shoulders of the ruckman on the goal line

This is against the rules.

However climbing the goal posts to spoil the ball is not against the rules.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back