Autopsy Eagles Def Freo by 30 points

Remove this Banner Ad

He's out of contract at the end of the season.

I'm betting Lyon will have him delisted and he'll get picked up by another club....and do well. Meanwhile we will all be crying about a lack of a tall KPF.
Yeah and our KPF lies with Strnadica, Apeness, and no one else. Then Tabs will tear it up playing consistently

Pfft. Inexperienced at kicking goals from 10-20m out? Just a very weak mental effort.

On SM-G900I using BigFooty.com mobile app

Whatever.

Go have your melt.

The fact remains that we have a young team that are all learning how to play together. Do you despute that? I know last week over half our team had played under 50 games (11 in total). I'm sure it was the same today. I lost count the amount of times an inexperienced players stuffed up a possession chain for us.

We had to work twice as hard than we should have and lost our confidence because of this.

Our poor forward entries are a result of our complete lack of forward structure.

Where are you supposed to kick it when your only options ahead are Suban vs McGovern and Kersten vs Hurn? All your options are s**t so of course your forward entry is going to be s**t.

It's the same thing that's plagued us for years. Our players are not bad kicks. Our disposal efficiency elsewhere on the ground is no different to other teams. The problem is our forward structure, and until that improves it's pointless to keep pointing out our poor forward entries each week.

Our game plan apparently revolves around running the ball into our forward line rather than kicking it. That is the only conclusion you can draw if we're not playing anybody in there.
totally sick of it. It is the same s**t over and over.

ext

Ross+Lyon+AFL+Finals+Series+Press+Conferences+N7sChoIxiFyl.jpg

1457395767462.jpg

Yelled at the TV so much today it's taken out a restraining order against me. :(

Shocking forward strategy... chist I hope we're tanking - we'll need a bottom five finish if we want to land Sam Hayes in the draft.

Sam Hayes

Club: Eastern Ranges/Vic Metro

Position: Ruck/Tall Forward

Size: 203cm, 93kg

DOB: 09/06/1999

Plays like: Max Gawn

Champion Data says: Hayes was arguably the most impressive ruckman at the 2016 NAB AFL Under 18 Championships, averaging the most AFL player ratings points of any ruckman. He impacted the scoreboard with five goals and three assists from his three matches.

foxfooty.com.au says: Get excited. The best ruck-forward prospect of this year’s draft class, as he’s not only an excellent tap ruckman, but also a capable forward. Hayes was the only bottom-ager selected in last year’s Under 18 champs All-Australian side, impressing in a ruck-forward role. An athletic big man, Hayes has a high ceiling and could improve rapidly throughout the year. And, remarkably, he’s still growing, as he’s just hit 204cm, according to the Ranges.

Yelled at the TV so much today it's taken out a restraining order against me. :(

Shocking forward strategy... chist I hope we're tanking - we'll need a bottom five finish if we want to land Sam Hayes in the draft.

Sam Hayes

Champion Data says: Hayes was arguably the most impressive ruckman at the 2016 NAB AFL Under 18 Championships, averaging the most AFL player ratings points of any ruckman. He impacted the scoreboard with five goals and three assists from his three matches.

foxfooty.com.au says: Get excited. The best ruck-forward prospect of this year’s draft class, as he’s not only an excellent tap ruckman, but also a capable forward. Hayes was the only bottom-ager selected in last year’s Under 18 champs All-Australian side, impressing in a ruck-forward role. An athletic big man, Hayes has a high ceiling and could improve rapidly throughout the year. And, remarkably, he’s still growing, as he’s just hit 204cm, according to the Ranges.

Definitely my number 1 target.

Sam Hayes

is 90% ruck 10% forward maybe he can be our Lobb

I don't think the forward structure would have mattered when we couldn't hit the target anyway. We could have Buddy, Hawkins, Reiwoldt and they would have all looked poor today.

The big interesting stat from today was that where we were 16th in the competition for scores from defensive fifty during our finals years, we were top three now. That has been fixed.

Problem for us now is that opposition spread on us like soft butter.

He went to the Peel game yesterday did he not? Come on, he has to be impressed with Tabs fighting and continue to never give in. Has to be rewarded for that.

Agree, but there's McCarthy to come in too remember - then it's who you take out? Cox and/or a small?

I don't think the forward structure would have mattered when we couldn't hit the target anyway. We could have Buddy, Hawkins, Reiwoldt and they would have all looked poor today.

The big interesting stat from today was that where we were 16th in the competition for scores from defensive fifty during our finals years, we were top three now. That has been fixed.

Problem for us now is that opposition spread on us like soft butter.

It's a chicken and egg thing isn't it. A good quality tall forward who knows how to manage a fwd 50 can make players up the field look better, but how much? Then there is the ability to turn half chances into full ones - again, a tall powerful contested mark player can do that. I agree, its not as simple as putting in that non-existent high quality FF (especially when you consider the mountain of missed shots by the actual existent players that were out there), but I still reckon it would help settle our shape and movement a bit more which makes placing the ball in there a bit more systematic rather than apparently chaotic which it sometimes looks.

BTW, agree on the spreading issue. However, it wasn't too bad today in one sense. Not sure if it's deliberate, but we do seem to play a 'tighter' contested ball and then back ourselves to win it from there. Sometimes fails, but today it gave us first use repeatedly - we were just crap at turning what should be match winning general play into an actual win.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He went to the Peel game yesterday did he not? Come on, he has to be impressed with Tabs fighting and continue to never give in. Has to be rewarded for that.

Yeah
But 50 games is enough to prove if you are any good at AFL level
Sadly for him 4-5 good games tells me he's not
Experiment over, we gotta move
On

This pre-season should be pretty simple -
  1. Midfielders - get ball, and lower eyes for short options
  2. Forwards - repeat leads on a spread, and mark the ball
  3. Defenders - kill the ball
In theory it's so simple, yet the first two have been problems from day one. Ross has never found a way to deliver the ball inside 50, it's a massive weakness of his. Honestly think he needs someone like Bomber Thompson or Leigh Matthews to call him and tell him he has to change his ways, because his gameplan simply isn't good enough.

Our defenders got taught a lesson today. Probably a little bit of cheating, but it's only illegal if you get caught. Eagles used their experience against our young backline today. They did a heap of blocking to get Kennedy free. That's why he seems to be so far ahead on a lead.

Our forwards don't ever try to work for each other like this. Hopefully it comes with experience.

Our mids are still like bees to the honey pot, leaving the opposition with free outside players when they win the ball. Sure, we might win it more often, but they are generally more damaging.

I'm drinking the coolaid peope. Cannot speak highly enough of Ross. With such a young team, the performances we're starting to put in consistently is heartening. Like he said, teams with our age/experience profiles will often get pumped by 80+pts. We nearly beat the cats at skilled ffs. We're on the right track, but are still two years away from having the age/experience profile required to win more than we lose. Playing da youff comes with these terrible performances - but really, it wasn't that bad. Ross is the boss. Please do not ever forget :cool:

Our defenders got taught a lesson today. Probably a little bit of cheating, but it's only illegal if you get caught. Eagles used their experience against our young backline today. They did a heap of blocking to get Kennedy free. That's why he seems to be so far ahead on a lead.

Our forwards don't ever try to work for each other like this. Hopefully it comes with experience.

Our mids are still like bees to the honey pot, leaving the opposition with free outside players when they win the ball. Sure, we might win it more often, but they are generally more damaging.

I'm drinking the coolaid peope. Cannot speak highly enough of Ross. With such a young team, the performances we're starting to put in consistently is heartening. Like he said, teams with our age/experience profiles will often get pumped by 80+pts. We nearly beat the cats at skilled ffs. We're on the right track, but are still two years away from having the age/experience profile required to win more than we lose. Playing da youff comes with these terrible performances - but really, it wasn't that bad. Ross is the boss. Please do not ever forget :cool:
Spot on! Was driving me crazy watching the eagles get centre clearances with no pressure and hitting targets.

Thought we suffered a fair bit on the run against Gaff, Jetta and Masten, they were able to run themselves into space a lot and relieve pressure by taking an uncontested mark or posession to break our press, Tucker worked hard from our side to close it but he was pretty much alone

Eagles used their experience against our young backline today. They did a heap of blocking to get Kennedy free. That's why he seems to be so far ahead on a lead.

To do this you need to have people in the forward line. That's only true for us on repeat entries when everyone has run down. We don't even start with 2 forwards standing together at centre bounces.

All game begging for a tall target up forward. McGovern and Hurn easily swooped for marks. Knew as soon as we named Ballas at CHF that we would struggle.

Ross is ignorant and hell, even arrogant with that gameplan. Now he has to play Tabs, otherwise if he chooses his pet Sutcliffe, over him then questions will definitely be raised

Sutcliffe has been close to best for Peel for two or three weeks so would not be surprised by his selection. Sutcliffe has been killing it as a midfielder and is also kicking goals, so lets prey the next time he gets an opportunity he is not playing in the backline.

Sutcliffe has never played as a key position forward so I have no idea what you think his selection would have to do with Tabs.

McCarthy will return next week into the forward line.

I'm a believer that coaches can only do so much. They build teams, create culture and, if they're good, they put a group of players into a position to win lots of games including big ones. Fact is, Ross has done that and is still doing that. I've got no problem with RTB at this stage. Ross isn't running into a goal and missing from 20m out. I know there are structure issues, but that's a work in progress clearly - again, I don't think Ross is asking his ball users to kick it straight to that McGovern fellow dressed in the budgie suit.

Last edited:
Whatever.

Go have your melt.

The fact remains that we have a young team that are all learning how to play together. Do you despute that? I know last week over half our team had played under 50 games (11 in total). I'm sure it was the same today. I lost count the amount of times an inexperienced players stuffed up a possession chain for us.

We had to work twice as hard than we should have and lost our confidence because of this.
Soft attitude. They're professional sportsmen and you cottonwool them like U/10's. No excuses for those s**t skills.

On SM-G900I using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back