Delisted # 8: Martin Gleeson - Not offered a contract, finishes his Essendon career on 97 AFL games

Remove this Banner Ad

Didn't get to see much of the game, what i miss?

He's improved each week, and issues i used to have with the time he takes to get it moving and lobbing his passes don't seem to be there anymore.

If he can just do something about his size by next season he could be a top 5 player.

You missed a lot. He was superb and his confidence is back to take on the play.

Edging bit by bit each week toward Enrighthood.

I hate to say it: I don't think there's much of a chance of this happening. In my opinion, he has no attributes that even closely resemble a champion 200 game player. Without having a go, perhaps you've developed a soft spot for Marty somewhere along the way and hence showing some wishful thinking.

Edit: Apologies if that came across as condescending. It certainly wasn't meant to.
Courage, leg speed, polished disposal, great mark, excellent reader of the play....

Sent from my F3115 using Tapatalk

Courage, leg speed, polished disposal, great mark, excellent reader of the play....

Solid quote. I'll tip my hat to him in the past two weeks. I don't think he'll be a champion 200 game player but he has proven me wrong with his outstanding attribute - intercept marking.

Played way better than I thought he was capable of doing. His intercept marking and run and dare have been first class in the last month.
I am still nervous if he is isolated in a body duel but he has been great in the last month.
I love to be WRONG- keep it up young man!

Last night's game was fantastic by Marty, but keep in mind that he was playing on a first gamer that didn't seem to have any idea what was going on in the game (nothing personal Josh, you'll get better with time). He's not going to be able to roam unchecked every game as the third tall.

Last night's game was fantastic by Marty, but keep in mind that he was playing on a first gamer that didn't seem to have any idea what was going on in the game (nothing personal Josh, you'll get better with time). He's not going to be able to roam unchecked every game as the third tall.
Gleeson is often matched up on bona fide key position players and performs admirably. He got Roo on a few occasions last night and did what he had to do. The last thing you can say about him is that he gets an easy ride.

We stopped hating and we started loving.
Marty has always loved:

YvIE1O.gif

The only question mark for me is:
Will he be able to be versatile enough to adapt to players of different sizes?
He's pretty good at playing on those 192 cm type forwards and intercepting but what happens when we play against a team that has 3 big talls like GWS. We probably need to play 3 genuine talls then so the question is: can he defend someone smaller and more agile than him eg Greene or Zac Williams or a strong medium player like a Petracca.

I think the current role he's playing as the 3rd tall is likely not the role he'll be playing in the future when we get Ambrose and Brown back. We've shown a strong preference for playing 3 talls down back. So it will be interesting to see if he can still be as successful on the medium and smaller sized players.

For the record I reckon he can but there are still question marks regarding his long term future in the team despite his cracking form over the last month.

The only question mark for me is:
Will he be able to be versatile enough to adapt to players of different sizes?
He's pretty good at playing on those 192 cm type forwards and intercepting but what happens when we play against a team that has 3 big talls like GWS. We probably need to play 3 genuine talls then so the question is: can he defend someone smaller and more agile than him eg Greene or Zac Williams or a strong medium player like a Petracca.

I think the current role he's playing as the 3rd tall is likely not the role he'll be playing in the future when we get Ambrose and Brown back. We've shown a strong preference for playing 3 talls down back. So it will be interesting to see if he can still be as successful on the medium and smaller sized players.

For the record I reckon he can but there are still question marks regarding his long term future in the team despite his cracking form over the last month.

We play a team defence, guys like Hurley and Kelly are always on hand to give a chop out

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hurley: "Yep Marty, give us a quick handpass, I'll help you out".

Gleeson: "Nah man I'm good, just gonna go run this way. Laters."

His confidence is rising and so is his game. His confidence reminds me of Hooker's in 2013. Before that he was in and out of the team, and would have the occasional good game here and there. He came into the team, strung a few good games together and his confidence rose. Hopefully this has been the penny dropping for Marty, he's a ******* gun when on

Came to see this :p

Watching the game on Friday night, it was a joy to see Gleeson not only take his marks, but also take the play on. Bombers are certainly one of my favorite teams to watch this year, they play such an attacking brand of footy, which must be great for you supporters given what has happened these past few years.

Firstly, loved his game. Those intercept marks are a huge weapon.

As a side note, can anyone tell me how the disposal efficiency stat is calculated?

It says he was disposing at 94.7%, which would indicate 18 of his 19 touches were effective.

But there was a play where he took two marks in a row - and both of his kicks were marked by Carlisle.

Surely a kick marked by an opposition player can't be deemed as being 'effective'?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back