Collingwood seeks to tear up Queen's Birthday agreement with Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...e/news-story/b3c78c1b9ed41f64d99727c3bcc28a0c

The Herald Sun can reveal the Magpies are in talks to end an agreement with Melbourne which has given the Dees hosting rights to the annual clash every year since 2001.

Collingwood will formalise its position in next year’s fixture requests in part because of the funds the powerhouse club already contributes to rivals through the AFL’s equalisation policies.

I'm not as fussed necessarily about the day itself, although I think Melbourne has very much turned QB into an event with FreezeMND. What does interest me is the optics behind this with the Pert resignation and the pressure on both Buckley and Eddie.

As an aside, Eddie also has my thanks as well as I'm sure that of many Melbourne supporters, as the cash injection from QB in the darkest days really did help keep the club afloat by all reports.

Yea as a dees supporter it's time we share it not a big deal, the only thing I would say is if we do share it I would want 1 of our home games each year to be either queens birthday or Anzac eve, that way we still have a big pay day come in, I also think we should lobby to have the MND Freeze game against the bombers on a Friday night

Seems like this would have been pointed out in the club wide review as an area of concern. I have no problem at all with Collingwood doing this. The deal was always incredibly lopsided. Giving up a 70k+ ticketed fixture every second year for one extra guaranteed game at the MCG. It's always been a very 'Eddie' agreement. I expect this is just one of many changes that will come to pass at the Collingwood Football Club over the next few months.

**** Collingwood thinking they subsidise the rest of the comp.

Dogs, Saints, North and Blues have paid off Etihad for the rest of the comp. Getting shitty stadium deals.
Essendon may have got a slightly better deal than the other Etihad tenants as the first to move but Essendon still paid off a fair chunk aswell.

Dogs, Saints, North and Blues have paid off Etihad for the rest of the comp. Getting shitty stadium deals.

Lol

Good on Collingwood pulling rank, theyre still getting taxed out their arseholes. About time they threw their collective weight around.

Seems fair to go back to normal home game collection of revenue for Queens Birthday Monday when it is Collingwood's home game year.
Especially as now Melbourne are on they way up and playing finals.
Was a great goodwill gesture by Collingwood to another Victorian club in Melbourne to do so for so long.

Yea as a dees supporter it's time we share it not a big deal, the only thing I would say is if we do share it I would want 1 of our home games each year to be either queens birthday or Anzac eve, that way we still have a big pay day come in, I also think we should lobby to have the MND Freeze game against the bombers on a Friday night

Exactly. The Queen's BDay game itself is not the problem for Collingwood, but the association with FreezeMND is. How can you have a major theme of the game where the main spokesman for FreezeMND (Neale Daniher) was an ex Melbourne coach and has absolutely nothing to do with Collingwood? The Queen's BDay game can stay but the FreezeMND event should be moved to Melbourne vs Essendon match.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Exactly. The Queen's BDay game itself is not the problem for Collingwood, but the association with FreezeMND is. How can you have a major theme of the game where the main spokesman for FreezeMND (Neale Daniher) was an ex Melbourne coach and has absolutely nothing to do with Collingwood? The Queen's BDay game can stay but the FreezeMND event should be moved to Melbourne vs Essendon match.
Wait...Collingwood can't get behind raising money for MND because Daniher didn't play for them? You should put that suggestion in writing to the CFC and see what they say.

Wait...Collingwood can't get behind raising money for MND because Daniher didn't play for them? You should put that suggestion in writing to the CFC and see what they say.
If the Maddie Riewoldt event was between St Kilda vs Melbourne, would you at least be a little perplexed?

Eddie thinks that the Pies do! He is an arrogant flog! The tax payer has funded the Pies facilities at Olympic park! It has cost the tax payer to the tine of $60 to $70 million with having athletics Australia shifted as well!

It was him that throught that the big freeze at the G! & it has developed in to a great cause and event! Melbourne should have the right to keep the Queens birthy game & if the Pies don't like the public holiday games they can have a crappy early afternoon time slot like most of the other teams regularly get!

Yeah! You tell them!

!

Yeah think those clubs that had to play home games there to make up the ones the tenant clubs sold paid a fair portion off as well.

Eddie thinks that the Pies do! He is an arrogant flog! The tax payer has funded the Pies facilities at Olympic park! It has cost the tax payer to the tine of $60 to $70 million with having athletics Australia shifted as well!

It was him that throught that the big freeze at the G! & it has developed in to a great cause and event! Melbourne should have the right to keep the Queens birthy game & if the Pies don't like the public holiday games they can have a crappy early afternoon time slot like most of the other teams regularly get!
So Eddie was the mastermind behind the big freeze? Oh... I'll take it all back then.

As an interstate fan, I've no problem with them wanting a rotation so long as they sacrifice the extra game in Vic with it. Its an unbelievable advantage and frankly unfair to the rest of the comp, even if we've been the beneficiaries of QB during the dark old days - Collingwood gained from it too

Remove this Banner Ad

Back