Movies you don't like but everyone else loves...

Remove this Banner Ad

The Force Awakens. A rehashed A New Hope, only bearable in comparison to the prequels. A Mary Sue heroine who wins with zero training. Yah a female heroine and a rotating droid does not equal best Star Wars ever.

Se7en. I have to restrain myself when hearing Brad Pitt fan girls rating this as better than The Usual Suspects.

The Force Awakens. A rehashed A New Hope, only bearable in comparison to the prequels. A Mary Sue heroine who wins with zero training. Yah a female heroine and a rotating droid does not equal best Star Wars ever.

Se7en. I have to restrain myself when hearing Brad Pitt fan girls rating this as better than The Usual Suspects.

Have to agree with you on the TFA, didnt feel like a star wars movie to me, try telling that to my sister in law, she thinks its the best one

Have to agree with you on the TFA, didnt feel like a star wars movie to me, try telling that to my sister in law, she thinks its the best one

That's the thing. The prequels at least felt like a Star Wars movie, albeit shit ones. TFA felt like a generic sci-fi action flick.

Sent from mTalk

The new Planet of the Apes trilogy. Much like Nolan's Batman trilogy, they give the appearance of seriousness but they're blockbusters at heart, and for me, they may actually be too self-serious and brooding for their own good (in both instances, that applies to the latter movies more so than the first one).

GoldenEye is a beaut.
Living Daylights isn't bad.

The rest of the pre reboots are just about as one would expect, some better, some not so good.

Sent from mTalk

Goldeneye is one of the better ones

That's the thing. The prequels at least felt like a Star Wars movie, albeit shit ones. TFA felt like a generic sci-fi action flick.

Sent from mTalk

spot on, Rogue One felt like a star wars movie, i think because we knew the back story,as with TFA they changed the story and everything that we had heard wasn't canon anymore

The new Planet of the Apes trilogy. Much like Nolan's Batman trilogy, they give the appearance of seriousness but they're blockbusters at heart, and for me, they may actually be too self-serious and brooding for their own good (in both instances, that applies to the latter movies more so than the first one).

It's hard finding the right balance. I mean, I've seen people say they don't like Star Wars which is fine, but then they arrogantly claim that people like me only like them because of childhood nostalgia, which is patronising bullshit, as they objectively ticked a lot of boxes in terms of what defines good film making. Whether people enjoy them or not is subjective, but one of the more understandable criticisms is that the movies are aimed at kids, with the exception of Rogue One. So, it seems to be with blockbusters that they're either too serious or too childish.

Can you think of something that finds the right balance? Because movies like GOTG and Deadpool get criticised for being too comedic and yet the same people complaining about that would probably complain about them taking themselves too seriously if they were any different. Already some people are "worried" because TLJ isn't going to take itself too seriously but if they did I bet these people would say they're lacking in humour and fun. I think the worst movies are the ones that don't know what they want to be, like the Transformers movies alternate between too serious and goofy all the time. At least TDK and Apes movies are consistent. Matt Reeves is directing the next Batman movie so I'm guessing that the seriousness of Nolan's movies will continue, although it suits the Batman world.

I don't care whether people like the Force Awakens or not, but if people are going to use terms like Mary Sue, they should at least try to understand them. It doesn't mean what you think it means. And it's generally been co-opted by sexist twits who just don't like female heroes.

Also bear in mind, she basically shares the same characteristics and journey as Luke.

I don't care whether people like the Force Awakens or not, but if people are going to use terms like Mary Sue, they should at least try to understand them. It doesn't mean what you think it means. And it's generally been co-opted by sexist twits who just don't like female heroes.

Also bear in mind, she basically shares the same characteristics and journey as Luke.
Bullshit, Luke got his arse handed to him by Vader in Empire despite training with Obi Wan and Yoda. Rey has none and kicks butt. It has nothing to do with being female. Having a male lead do the same would have equally gone against the earlier movies in this central point.

Bullshit, Luke got his arse handed to him by Vader in Empire despite training with Obi Wan and Yoda. Rey has none and kicks butt. It has nothing to do with being female. Having a male lead do the same would have equally gone against the earlier movies in this central point.
Luke played with a robot ball, shot womp rats at home, then executed elaborate pilot manoeuvres, destroyed a Death Star, saved the princess and harnessed the Force with little to no training. But if we're looking for realism in our heroes, how did archaeology make Indiana Jones an action hero capable of fighting off Nazis,where did Vin Diesel learn to steer a car out of an airplane, where did Will Smith learn to pilot alien ships in Independence Day? It doesn't matter when it's a guy, but apparently it ruins the movie when it's a woman.

But again, this is not what Mary Sue means. It's when a writer plays out their own fantasies, inserting idealised, thinly veiled versions of themselves into the story. And given Force Awakens was written by a man, that's not possible here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't know how one could label Rey a Mary-Sue while there is clearly a lot to her backstory that has yet to be filled in.
Exactly, Luke gets a free pass because he gets his ass kicked in Empire, but Rey is criticised without knowing what we may learn in the Last Jedi. There could very well be an explanation as to why using the Force was so intuitive for her.

Luke played with a robot ball, shot womp rats at home, then executed elaborate pilot manoeuvres, destroyed a Death Star, saved the princess and harnessed the Force with little to no training. But if we're looking for realism in our heroes, how did archaeology make Indiana Jones an action hero capable of fighting off Nazis,where did Vin Diesel learn to steer a car out of an airplane, where did Will Smith learn to pilot alien ships in Independence Day? It doesn't matter when it's a guy, but apparently it ruins the movie when it's a woman.

It is well established Luke was already a great pilot who is strong in the force as a result of his parentage and receives an infinite amount more training than Rey at that point.

Vin Diesal spends many many movies being an expert race and stunt driver. Will Smith is an air force pilot that will naturally be able to extrapolate his ability. One can assume Indiana Jones is a badass by virtue of the fact he's an established mature character when we meet him who has adventures under his belt already.

Rey is a kid who scavenges parts, never flown anything despite theoretical piloting and mechanical knowledge, never had any sort of inclination that she is force sensitive. She then bested a trained Jedi turned Sith in force ability then sabre combat, not to mention the whole Falcon stuff. It isn't at all comparable.

Sent from mTalk

Goldeneye is one of the better ones

spot on, Rogue One felt like a star wars movie, i think because we knew the back story,as with TFA they changed the story and everything that we had heard wasn't canon anymore

It wasn't that they changed the back story... It was that there was none. Things just happened and the audience was merely along for the ride rather than being involved.

Sent from mTalk

It is well established Luke was already a great pilot who is strong in the force as a result of his parentage and receives an infinite amount more training than Rey at that point.

Vin Diesal spends many many movies being an expert race and stunt driver. Will Smith is an air force pilot that will naturally be able to extrapolate his ability. One can assume Indiana Jones is a badass by virtue of the fact he's an established mature character when we meet him who has adventures under his belt already.

Rey is a kid who scavenges parts, never flown anything despite theoretical piloting and mechanical knowledge, never had any sort of inclination that she is force sensitive. She then bested a trained Jedi turned Sith in force ability then sabre combat, not to mention the whole Falcon stuff. It isn't at all comparable.

Sent from mTalk
She spent the majority of her life surviving on a harsh planet by herself, scavenging parts, studying machines and piloting her own vehicles. We don't fully know her back story but it is no more or less ridiculous than any of the above mentioned. Her ability to best Kylo Ren, who it is established has not completed his training yet, could yet be explained when we find out more in the next movie. It's a fantasy movie, so much of the hate on Rey is just the absurd anger of boys who want a Mary Sue they can relate to.

She spent the majority of her life surviving on a harsh planet by herself, scavenging parts, studying machines and piloting her own vehicles. We don't fully know her back story but it is no more or less ridiculous than any of the above mentioned. Her ability to best Kylo Ren, who it is established has not completed his training yet, could yet be explained when we find out more in the next movie. It's a fantasy movie, so much of the hate on Rey is just the absurd anger of boys who want a Mary Sue they can relate to.

Things shouldn't have to be explained in the sequel, first and foremost. That's cheap and lazy film making.

I'm not questioning that Rey is a tough customer, but the force is a bit more than a street brawl and the powers she uses, mind reading and force pull, are a long long way from anything Luke done without training. A ****ing long way. 12 parsecs even. It's about as comparable as me being selected for AFL tomorrow and kicking 10 goals vs a first round draft pick kicking 4 on debut. I am Rey in that example.

I'll let the Falcon flying stuff slide, its a grey area, but not the force stuff.

Sent from mTalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back