Revisiting the 2014 AFL draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jack Steele with a monster game today with the job on Shuey. Apparently had 26 disposals (at 77%, 20 contested), 10 clearances, 2 goals, 6 score involvements, 12 tackles, 28 pressure acts. Missed most of the preseason with a broken foot, too.

Jack Sinclair instrumental in many of our goals with 3 goal assists, to go with his 20 disposals and a goal.

Sinclair was great today. Really got the Saints going.

Sinclair was great today. Really got the Saints going.
His decision-making skills are just elite.

Its crazy to think that not only did he fall to the rookie draft, but he played TAC Cup that year as a 19-year-old because he was cut from the Oakleigh Chargers squad the year before.

Pretty good draft from a Richmond perspective.
Menadue looks the most promising thus far for us and would be climbing up the ranks a bit. Butler has kicked 17 goals this year, while Jayden short looks good as a rookie. Castagna I don't rate but good for a rookie. Corey Ellis just needs to stop getting injured but can play.

Corey Ellis looks the goods to me. If he stops getting dropped he will be a good player.

good draft overall

Corey Ellis looks the goods to me. If he stops getting dropped he will be a good player.

good draft overall

rate all the players you got in this draft outside of ellis.
what does he do well? kicking maybe but as a outside player he has a long long way to go imo..

Petracca and Laverde I expect to be in the top 10 by years end, Petracca top 2
Petracca has had a good year - Laverde extremely disappointing. Had injuries again but looked miles off it in his 3 games back.

Averaging less than 11 touches and 0 goals off the half forward line. Needs a good pre-season to get a better look at if he will be as good as the bomber supporters have talked him up to be.

Petracca has had a good year - Laverde extremely disappointing. Had injuries again but looked miles off it in his 3 games back.

Averaging less than 11 touches and 0 goals off the half forward line. Needs a good pre-season to get a better look at if he will be as good as the bomber supporters have talked him up to be.
My bias doesn't come from him playing for Essendon its from meeting him and his family haha, he is a great kid so I wish him the best. Injury has stuffed him it will take awhile for him to get accustomed to AFL level intensity and running patterns. I still think he will come good hopefully he gets a run at it next year and is injury free.

My bias doesn't come from him playing for Essendon its from meeting him and his family haha, he is a great kid so I wish him the best. Injury has stuffed him it will take awhile for him to get accustomed to AFL level intensity and running patterns. I still think he will come good hopefully he gets a run at it next year and is injury free.

With his size would be a good replacement for Jobe. A better run with injury will help.

With his size would be a good replacement for Jobe. A better run with injury will help.
Yep, it's pretty clear he should be a midfielder. He was decent against Adelaide despite an unflattering stat line but the two games prior he was useless - he's not a forward. In theory he's a difficult match up but he's never in the right positions in the forward 50 and the impressive things he does translate much better to a midfield role.

Langford and Laverde were supposed to be the steals of the draft but in reality have fared no better than Boekherst. Still time for them though.

I said this a few weeks ago but was shot down because Laverde played a few good VFL games.

Boekhurst has arguably shown more at the top level than both but the reality is all 3 look closer to busts than good picks.

There is atleast another year for the bombers pair. Boek probably gets cut this offseason.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I said this a few weeks ago but was shot down because Laverde played a few good VFL games.

Boekhurst has arguably shown more at the top level than both and the reality is all 3 look closer to busts than good picks.

There is atleast another year for the bombers pair. Boek probably gets cut this offseason.
Might be sent off with a car - the goal he kicked on the weekend was incredible.

I know it's not hard with picks 2/3 but I reckon we nailed this draft.

Petracca has dropped off badly in the last month, but I think he's just stuffed. He's played a lot more midfield than the coaches would have wanted due to our injuries, think the year has taken a toll on him. Won't be surprised if we rest him vs the Lions.

Was only one game but stoked to see the forgotten man Angus Brayshaw playing well vs the Saints, fingers crossed he can play the last two games and hopefully at least one final injury free.

Stretch has been in great form in VFL but has been surpassed by his best mate Neal-Bullen who has had a really good second half of the year. Even Oscar McDonald looks like he could develop into a decent player!

how many games has petracca had over 25 touches? or 20 an 2 goals.. might all click next year but he reminds me a tad of andrew walker great x factor but never quite elite level.

how many games has petracca had over 25 touches? or 20 an 2 goals.. might all click next year but he reminds me a tad of andrew walker great x factor but never quite elite level.
Still only in his third year to be fair, and spent his first year injured.

His challenge is to take his game to the next level probably as a midfielder, potential is up there with the likes of Martin.

I know it's not hard with picks 2/3 but I reckon we nailed this draft.

Petracca has dropped off badly in the last month, but I think he's just stuffed. He's played a lot more midfield than the coaches would have wanted due to our injuries, think the year has taken a toll on him. Won't be surprised if we rest him vs the Lions.

Was only one game but stoked to see the forgotten man Angus Brayshaw playing well vs the Saints, fingers crossed he can play the last two games and hopefully at least one final injury free.

Stretch has been in great form in VFL but has been surpassed by his best mate Neal-Bullen who has had a really good second half of the year. Even Oscar McDonald looks like he could develop into a decent player!
This would have nailed it for the Dees

Petracca 2, Wright/Lever 3, McGovern 40, Stretch was a F&S, 53 McDonald was a gem,

Revised
1. Isaac Heeney
2. Harris Andrews
3. Jake Lever
4. Connor Blakely
5. Christian Petracca
6. Jordan De Goey
7. Peter Wright
8. Caleb Daniel
9. Touk Miller
10. Darcy Moore
11. Toby McLean
12. Mitch McGovern
13. Lachie Weller
14. Caleb Marchbank
15. Brayden Maynard
16. Jack Steele
17. Alex Neal-Bullen
18. Bailey Dale
19. Liam Duggan
20. Billy Stretch

That's based off current production, in my opinion. This factors in consistency more so than current form and season. Toby McLean is one I see as relatively low now but could be top five come the end of next season.

The rookie draft was quite interesting too: Jack Sinclair, Adam Saad, Nic Newman, Jason Castagna, Kane Lambert and Conor McKenna are all decent to good players who could be long term options for their clubs.

The rookie draft was quite interesting too: Jack Sinclair, Adam Saad, Nic Newman, Jason Castagna, Kane Lambert and Conor McKenna are all decent to good players who could be long term options for their clubs.

Lewis Melican is another we took in that year's rookie draft who is showing excellent signs.

Revised
1. Isaac Heeney
2. Harris Andrews
3. Jake Lever
4. Connor Blakely
5. Christian Petracca
6. Jordan De Goey
7. Peter Wright
8. Caleb Daniel
9. Touk Miller
10. Darcy Moore
11. Toby McLean
12. Mitch McGovern
13. Lachie Weller
14. Caleb Marchbank
15. Brayden Maynard
16. Jack Steele
17. Alex Neal-Bullen
18. Bailey Dale
19. Liam Duggan
20. Billy Stretch

That's based off current production, in my opinion. This factors in consistency more so than current form and season. Toby McLean is one I see as relatively low now but could be top five come the end of next season.

Dan Howe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back