Autopsy HB Returns, Dockers smashed v Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

We have been tanking all year. All year I have been baffled to RTB's decisions to selection and player positions. Even playing Blakely at half back was a tanking move imo but he proved he was good enough. Yes he's giving young players a go which is the right move but why he isn't he trying to experiment with a different style of play too? getting tired of opposition teams half backs destroy us because we dont want press like the majority of other teams. We need to put more pressure on the players up the ground surely with such a young defence. Having a forward line with any sort of forward structure would be a nice thing to see how it works.

Winning seems not to be what's important and it seems the players have bought out of this season. I still believe he's the right coach but without a second round pick I can't really fathom why we're not trying to win. It's going to be a tough 3-4 year period and we need some picks to stick in the next couple of drafts or we aren't going to be anywhere near it at the end of RTB's 5 year plan.

We have been tanking all year. All year I have been baffled to RTB's decisions to selection and player positions. Even playing Blakely at half back was a tanking move imo but he proved he was good enough. Yes he's giving young players a go which is the right move but why he isn't he trying to experiment with a different style of play too? getting tired of opposition teams half backs destroy us because we dont want press like the majority of other teams. We need to put more pressure on the players up the ground surely with such a young defence. Having a forward line with any sort of forward structure would be a nice thing to see how it works.

Winning seems not to be what's important and it seems the players have bought out of this season. I still believe he's the right coach but without a second round pick I can't really fathom why we're not trying to win. It's going to be a tough 3-4 year period and we need some picks to stick in the next couple of drafts or we aren't going to be anywhere near it at the end of RTB's 5 year plan.
Not sure he tank , but grey ,Walters ,langdon , blakely ,Neale ,Sandi, spurr can all do with rest or playing wafl match before rushing back to play for Freo.

Yeah, naaah.

You cannot cherry pick individuals and say the experience was that different.

Yesterday, Richmond averaged 95.6 games and we averaged 80.9. Yes they had an advantage but nowhere near as much as your cherry picked figures indicate.

You do know we had players with experience out there as well? Fyfe - 137, Mundy 273.

The actual breakdown experience-wise:

Less than 50 games: Freo 11 Richmond 10
50 - 99: Freo 4 Richmond 2
100 - 149: Freo 2 Richmond 3
150 or more: Freo 5 Richmond 7

The difference in experience does not equal 104 points for the second week in a row
I believe it does.

We could field a team of thirty year olds with 200 games each but the three who need to do all the outside running are 19 and get absolutely pounded. We lose.

We had over 70 points against kicked from turnovers from our defense with less experience combined than most of their defenders had alone.

Suban and Sutty added 250 games to our midfield but that is all.

The second half yesterday had an eerie feel to it.No sounds of crowd involvement normally associated with footy games. Just a buzz of several thousand people conversing with their neighbours. Could have been half time without the inane ground announcer assaulting our ears. Main topics of conversation within earshot involved whether or not to renew membership and who should replace Lyon as coach.

Do you want any tissues?

Nope, just pointing out hypocrisy, that's all.

The fact you felt the need to respond to that one point rather than the rest shows maybe you're a bit precious.

I wish Kersten had tabs marking ability..then we'd have something up front. Big Summer ahead as mentioned in previous posts. I'm sick of lyon too, but lets wait another 12 months and see how bad it is.

Terrible game, mediocre year overall. The second half of the year has been depressing.besides the Geelong/Gws games.

Dont even care anymore. Been a fan since the first scratch match against Essendon at shark park..but its really coming to the stage. What does one do after years of mediocrity. Theres More passion from the faithful than the players. Just not right imo

The second half yesterday had an eerie feel to it.No sounds of crowd involvement normally associated with footy games. Just a buzz of several thousand people conversing with their neighbours. Could have been half time without the inane ground announcer assaulting our ears. Main topics of conversation within earshot involved whether or not to renew membership and who should replace Lyon as coach.

Similar feel on this board. Only 6 pages of an autopsy thread after a loss like that? Everyone's disappeared

I believe it does.

We could field a team of thirty year olds with 200 games each but the three who need to do all the outside running are 19 and get absolutely pounded. We lose.

We had over 70 points against kicked from turnovers from our defense with less experience combined than most of their defenders had alone.

Suban and Sutty added 250 games to our midfield but that is all.

And I disagree with how you've put it.

Our issues are way more complicated than a simple 'they have more experience'. Our 'experienced' players performed on the whole poorer than Richmond's youngsters, with a few notable exceptions. They set up better than we did and we did nothing throughout the course of the game to change that.

Writing that 'effort' off to some inexperience is completely missing the point in my view.

Yeah, naaah.

You cannot cherry pick individuals and say the experience was that different.

Yesterday, Richmond averaged 95.6 games and we averaged 80.9. Yes they had an advantage but nowhere near as much as your cherry picked figures indicate.

You do know we had players with experience out there as well? Fyfe - 137, Mundy 273.

The actual breakdown experience-wise:

Less than 50 games: Freo 11 Richmond 10
50 - 99: Freo 4 Richmond 2
100 - 149: Freo 2 Richmond 3
150 or more: Freo 5 Richmond 7

The difference in experience does not equal 104 points for the second week in a row
Your stats look good but lets consider the following:

150+ players included Suban and Ballantyne (hardly game breakers)
We had Bennell out there who must have had 30% game time if that.
We essentially had 2 inside midfielders (Fyfe and Mundy). The others were just waltzing around in there or tagging.
We faced a top 4 side.
We are out of gas with nothing to play for. They actually did in the first quarter but that was never going to last.

I expected us to get smashed and we did. Not sure why everyone is moaning.

RTB gives some players some jobs and wants to see a response or lack thereof at this stage of the season.

Get ready for another 100 pt thrashing at Etihad as well.

Still think Bolton and now Fagan are doing a better job than lyon in developing a team. if we continue to suffer big defeats in 2018 will the Board have the balls to move him on

Think both have had a touch more to work with in terms of recently drafted talent. We've had one off season to start the list turnover. Carlton have been the gws surplus talent dumping ground for 2 now.

But yeah there's a point there in that maybe their strategy seems to be paying more dividend right now. Yet we will still finish above both.

To that essendon bloke who asked about lyon. Yeah I still nominally support him. The list is problem number 1, and he's blooded the youth which was the primary ask for me this year. I'm less sure on the second issue which is game style. God we've looked amazing this year when the ball movement works. Awful when it doesn't. If that doesn't improve over the course of next year that's where i tip. Obviously the list needs more work but that's where I'm at.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As someone rightly pointed out, even GWS with its blue ribbon list had mulitple 100pt floggings as they were coming up. Not an excuse as such, but certainly not a surprise either.

Our last two losses have been horrendous, but we were 2 points off beating Geelong, 12 points off beating GWS, and 9 points off beating St Kilda (supposedly years ahead of us in development).

Can't speak for everyone, but it's been really painful reading all the ranting here these days, not to mention the flak anyone with something positive to say gets about "accepting mediocrity."

Last edited:
Your stats look good but lets consider the following:

150+ players included Suban and Ballantyne (hardly game breakers)
We had Bennell out there who must have had 30% game time if that.
We essentially had 2 inside midfielders (Fyfe and Mundy). The others were just waltzing around in there or tagging.
We faced a top 4 side.
We are out of gas with nothing to play for. They actually did in the first quarter but that was never going to last.

I expected us to get smashed and we did. Not sure why everyone is moaning.

RTB gives some players some jobs and wants to see a response or lack thereof at this stage of the season.

Get ready for another 100 pt thrashing at Etihad as well.

I expected a loss as well but the effort yesterday was at best, insipid. We have, as a team, promoted effort over skills. That is a decision with which I strongly disagree however yesterday we had next to no skills and next to no effort.

You may not understand why everybody is moaning but I do. There can never be grounds to accept an effort that poor. That is sufficient to justify 'everybody moaning'

I expected a loss as well but the effort yesterday was at best, insipid. We have, as a team, promoted effort over skills. That is a decision with which I strongly disagree however yesterday we had next to no skills and next to no effort.

You may not understand why everybody is moaning but I do. There can never be grounds to accept an effort that poor. That is sufficient to justify 'everybody moaning'
I get where you at , but really no point , just accept mediocre, trust me you feel better this way .

Last edited:
This is what you said:

Crozier chased and tackled hard all day and was rewarded for his effort. If you can't handle being picked up on it when you post bullshit, don't post.

How terrific of you to pick who can post or who can't post.

That was my observation you actually can't change it and my response was to an observation that Ballas didn't chase.

I didn't carry on at the person's post merely gave them my perspective.

Only you know why you are carrying on so much over such a minor point.

Unfortunately, I guess from your perspective, I will be continuing to post.

If anything we've done too well this season. We really need the top end star of the comp type talent that you get (on average more often) from the first one or two picks.

While I can buy trying hard at the start couldn't care less that in the last 3-4 games of the season the team has switched off. Most important times for rebuilding teams like ours is the draft/trade period. As long as we nail that again.... meh.

- We're the worst team in the competition...and we wont be getting the number one draft pick. Think on that for a second.

I get the feeling that the KPI set for the start of the year was 8 wins..They got that a couple of weeks ago so have now switched off.

Sigh...

+ I got a decent dose of Vitamin D sitting in the sunshine till the end of the game...enjoyed that.
They had plenty of lollipops remaining when I left.
Traffic leaving the game was light.

How terrific of you to pick who can post or who can't post.

That was my observation you actually can't change it and my response was to an observation that Ballas didn't chase.

I didn't carry on at the person's post merely gave them my perspective.

Only you know why you are carrying on so much over such a minor point.

Crozier is my buddy. He had 8 tackles, was one of our best players, and you're saying he did nothing. Do the math.

Hi guys and girls.
Just got home from Perth. What a great weekend. Thanks for allowing me to be a guest in your wonderful city.
I wrote a Lonely Planet book on WA so I know the state well. To say it has a special place in my heart is an understatement.
My impressions on yesterday?
Fyfe is an absolute gun. Was a beast. Just a competitive man and a great role model.
I stood up and clapped Harley Bennell when he kicked his first goal. Clapped him from the moment it went through to the moment the ball was bounced again.
Sean Darcy is going to be a really good player.
Obviously with no Neale and Walters and Sandi, you were weakened.
Freo fans were great. All the fans around us were happy for us.
The new stadium will be great.
Not gloating at all. I enjoyed the big win, but it was a great day with great people.
Loved how the players did a lap at the end to farewell Subi.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back