Prediction Is there any reason we can't be the 2019 premiers?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richmond fans here are like your mate who gets a root out of the blue and then all of a sudden becomes an expert on women.

To be fair, the topic and op is effectively 'can we do a Richmond'.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Richmond 2017 did resemble North.

North of the......... 70s.

Doug Wade was specifically instructed not to mark and to bring it to ground for the smalls.

North of the 90s might've had effective smalls but the primary gameplan was using the army of gun marking players to overpower most defences.

Carey, Longmire, McKernan, Roberts, Crocker, Sholl, Welsh. Embarrassment of marking riches at any given time.

Slightly off thread, but interesting. Yes you can get your very own Arden Street T Shirt, cool huh?

Visit: https://www.leaguetees.com.au/product/arden-street-oval-vintage-t-shirt/

arden-street-tee-720x720.jpg

And you want North to pick this up now?

I think he's talking about the way the game moves in cycles due to the combination of players with particular abilities and smart coaches who exploit those abilities - thats how teams have success. Other smart coaches try to develop ways to counter that success and the game changes. Open forward lines get countered with flooding, pressure get countered with possession (ala Hawks 12 - 15) games. Possession/keeping off games get countered with pressure and fitness.

Its a cycle or an upward spiral. Its the way its been for a couple of decades as teams even out due to draft and salary cap.

I think he's talking about the way the game moves in cycles due to the combination of players with particular abilities and smart coaches who exploit those abilities - thats how teams have success. Other smart coaches try to develop ways to counter that success and the game changes. Open forward lines get countered with flooding, pressure get countered with possession (ala Hawks 12 - 15) games. Possession/keeping off games get countered with pressure and fitness.

Its a cycle or an upward spiral. Its the way its been for a couple of decades as teams even out due to draft and salary cap.

No offence, but I really dont care anymore.

Why?

Because its unknown?

Yet we spend pages going over past years of coulda woulda shoulda navel gazing.

Because I'm really not sure that you can call a kid who hasn't won us matches a match winner.

And if I'm really honest I want Luke to get there before Jy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Because I'm really not sure that you can call a kid who hasn't won us matches a match winner.

And if I'm really honest I want Luke to get there before Jy.

All i am saying is that the 'poor us look wat we havent got' is bullshit.

Look at whats on our list and run with it instead of hoping for Player X from Club Y to be the miracle.

Many teams since the AFL came in have come from where we are now or worse with youthful talent to win a Flag in 3 -4 years.

All i am saying is that the 'poor us look wat we havent got' is bullshit.

Look at whats on our list and run with it instead of hoping for Player X from Club Y to be the miracle.

Many teams since the AFL came in have come from where we are now or worse with youthful talent to win a Flag in 3 -4 years.
We don't have a match winner currently. We have blokes who sporadically turn it on.

Jy may have it in him, he also may not.

I think we are closer to understanding if Luke does.

And I have little issue with where we are. I'm not all doom and gloom.

A bit off topic but im loving im still getting bites from the tuggers supporters from stuff i posted 6 months ago:laughing:. But back on track the only difference rich have over us is 2 A grade mids and kiss on the d with injuries. The only injuries they copped all year were to blokes that were just good enough to carry dusty's bags at training. If we have had jacobs wright and waite for a large chunk of the year we sure as hell don't finish in the bottom 4 and more than likely finish in top 8 again. We are definitely A grade talent short in the midfield tho and now missing out on dusty and kelly im not sure where we go form here. We really are banking in a few to step up and take there game to another level next year. Well we can only hope.

Every year, the premier club tends to have disappointed players who were desperately unlucky not to play in the grand final and who then become trade targets, if they haven't already decided to leave.

Doesn't appear to be the case with Richmond. Either they are all so happy with themselves at Tigerland or something else is going on. And given that many have already observed how Richmond's premiership 22 contained a bottom 6 as modestly talented as any grand finalist in recent memory, it must mean that those below are just so tremendously grateful to be in the presence of Dusty and Rance that they wouldn't dream of leaving.

Every year, the premier club tends to have disappointed players who were desperately unlucky not to play in the grand final and who then become trade targets, if they haven't already decided to leave.

Doesn't appear to be the case with Richmond. Either they are all so happy with themselves at Tigerland or something else is going on. And given that many have already observed how Richmond's premiership 22 contained a bottom 6 as modestly talented as any grand finalist in recent memory, it must mean that those below are just so tremendously grateful to be in the presence of Dusty and Rance that they wouldn't dream of leaving.

Lol...something something....Jabba the Trump

I lold

Great name!

If you look at our midfielders recruited over the last 10 years, i dont classify any of them A grade, no outside players. It seems we are still in the 90s mentality of winning the inner contest football then bomb it long. The game has moved past that model. 1 big forward is prob all you need these days but you need a lot of little players. Secondly, climate in victoria is not sustainable for north to achieve success, we might pinch one but that's needle in a haystack chance. Will not win a flag while the roos r in victoria, simple, afl does not want us to succeed in vic.

A bit off topic but im loving im still getting bites from the tuggers supporters from stuff i posted 6 months ago:laughing:. But back on track the only difference rich have over us is 2 A grade mids and kiss on the d with injuries. The only injuries they copped all year were to blokes that were just good enough to carry dusty's bags at training. If we have had jacobs wright and waite for a large chunk of the year we sure as hell don't finish in the bottom 4 and more than likely finish in top 8 again. We are definitely A grade talent short in the midfield tho and now missing out on dusty and kelly im not sure where we go form here. We really are banking in a few to step up and take there game to another level next year. Well we can only hope.

I agree with everything except Richmond have only 1 extra A grade midfielder compared to us.

If Cotchin is A grade, so is Cunnington.

Their luck with injuries was off the charts stuff. Arrived in late September with 41 fit players.

Goes to show that unless there is a standout team in the comp (i.e., like the Hawks were) then you just need to turn up in September, play your best footy and have a bit of luck. Last two years have demonstrated that. The competition is so even that if you peak at the right time you're in with a shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back