Review 2017 Free Agency & Trade Period

What type of player do we need most? (Whether mature or rookie age)

• A tall forward

Votes: 103 57.9%
  • An inside midfielder

Votes: 44 24.7%
  • An outside midfielder

Votes: 4 2.2%
  • A half back

Votes: 15 8.4%
  • A small forward

Votes: 7 3.9%
  • A ruckman

Votes: 5 2.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Hey! I hope we get 2 ffs. But it wont happen. We're acting like Essendon here!

So you say pick 20 something and Matera for Weller. Thats about 10 equiv if Matera is worth say pick 39. Thing is freo have not chased after Matera or Wilson hence wanting to keep this seperate from any other trades (they stated the last part). Initially I thought 10 but the game changer is the contract they have suppossedly offered and what Freo had already offered.
While the contract does not dictate the trade value necessarily in this case it does. Freo obviously believe he is in their top four or five next year and with plenty ahead of him games wise. That in itself takes him inside 10 by quite a bit. Add then that GCS rate him similarly. His value is set by that. Both want him long term. If he goes it will be equiv to 4 or better points wise. IMHO

Geelong won’t trade pick 19 to GCS. Looks like Eagles and Bulldogs are tied up with picks 9, 13, second round picks and future pick swaps. That leaves the following in order of preference:

1. GCS 2018 1st Round Pick> Weller
2. Pick 2> Weller (perhaps with
sweetener)
3. Jack Martin> Weller (perhaps with
sweetener)
3. Pick 2, Pick 21, GCS 2018 2nd Round>
Pick 5, Weller
4. Pick 2, Pick 21, Pick 24> Pick 5, Weller

All four are top 7 pick equivalent and fair value. Anything less and he stays with Freo for 2018.

No concerns with Weller playing out his contract if a suitable trade can’t be achieved.

Any loss in value through being out of contract would easily be offset by his natural progression moving from half-back to the midfield, and a full year of media exposure off the back of his trade request (that he otherwise wouldn’t have had) will only serve to further elevate his standing.

So we should just give up ever drafting talent with high picks? Have faith in us, don't assume we'll stuff up at the draft.
Our record is not flash..White, Walker, Schell, Brown, Croad, Polak, Dunn, Murphy, Drum, Palmer, Simpson, Pitt, Morabito...we have done much better with late picks and rookies where the pressure is much less to secure talent.

Just being weighing up where we are at this afternoon and how we will go replacing first our development players Weller Balic and Crozier

Without even looking at forwards I would think we need to cover them those going out like this:

Kelly for Crozier
Weller Pick 2 Cerra (Is the best player in the draft by quite a bit but not sure of his injury)
Balic Pick 5 Fogarty

(If we do not trade Weller or if the picks are 20 & 25 & 37 for weller & 42) Then our pic 5 is used on our targeted player in the top 5 (not Fogarty)

Our other pics and future pics take care of the other business if they want to go ahead with Wilson and Matera but bearing in mind we need two picks in the 40's for two targeted forwards. Me thinks we could have if the 2nd scenario happens =5mid, 20fwd, Wilson, 37mid, 41fwd, 47mid, Matera, 60(Ryan).

Tomorrow will begin to unfold our story.

Our record is not flash..White, Walker, Schell, Brown, Croad, Polak, Dunn, Murphy, Drum, Palmer, Simpson, Pitt, Morabito...we have done much better with late picks and rookies where the pressure is much less to secure talent.
Some of them were over 10 years ago man. Palmer was the right choice at the time. Mora was easily the right choice, Mora had superstar all over him. We haven't had early picks for a long time (excluding last year.). LDU and Rayner look special, we shouldn't fear hypothetically having #2. Some of the best players in our game like Buddy, Dusty, Danger, Kelly, Pendlebury, Roughead, Hogan (mini draft) and Cotchin were taken early in drafts. Richmond had an average record, Fiora over Pavlich, Griffiths over Fyfe, yet with early picks, they nailed current premiership captain Cotchin and Brownlow winner Dusty. Early picks are a luxury if you nail them, if we somehow ended up with #2, I have no doubt we'd do very well with it.

Fellow Freophiles,
I am not a religious man but there is clearly some sort of cosmic force at work when it comes to Freo and the first round of the draft , bugger pick 2 , pry as many 2nd and 3rds as we can squeeze out of the Suns , grab the couple of experienced players on on offer then sit back and watch as the unfathomable winds of fate deliver the next Freo superstars into our desperate , needy hands

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whilst I am not sold on Martin (assuming story is true) my hesitation stems from his injury concerns. It's a bit buyer beware when taking GC players as we have seen with Bennell. Matera I don't mind as he should be a late pick but we'd be giving up some pretty handy picks if we take Martin instead.

Our drafting record with higher picks, excepting Pav would likely get us ORourke and not Kelly and if we got Kelly he would want to go home after 3 or 4 years
Big difference between first round picks that are top 5 and those 15+ though. Especially when there are also compromised drafts with 17yo players being taken the year before, mini drafts etc. Stephen Hill and Anthony Morabito are the only top 5 picks we've had in the last decade.

Guys like Sheridan, Simpson, Apeness, Pitt, Crozier were all pick 16+.

Rhys Palmer @ #7, Lachie Weller @ #13 and Griffin Logue @ #8 are the other 1st rounders.

And our 10th 1st rounder (#22 in 2015) we used in a deal to secure Bennell.

If you look at that list above, you might also notice none are inside mids or major ball winners. This year the top 5 prospects are all likely players who will eventually play as inside mids. And our recent record of developing inside mids is pretty good - Mundy (#19), Fyfe (#20), Neale (#58), Blakely (#34).

Either pick #2 or Jack Martin for Weller would be a dream, as we'd end up with someone who can play inside but also make an impact in the forward line. Can see GC losing Martin at some point anyway so I think they'd at least be considering it.

Don't remember drafting one of those...
benjen-stark.jpg

Would take Martin and run away from the table laughing all the way home. Doubt it will happen though. Sounds like made up join the dots rumour mongering.
FWIW I have absolutely no problem with the AFL somehow working behind the scenes to make this happen even if their primary motivation is to help GC and complete the fairy tale of Ablett coming home. So long as we extract more than market price for Weller.

If anyone thinks Weller isn't worth pick 2, please watch the highlights package please...
Pick 2 or don't worry about it GC, thankyou.
Just watched a couple of Jack Martin highlight reels and I'm all yessiree about swapping Lachie with him. Dayum!

Back