Which club won the trade and free agency period?

Which club won the trade and free agency period?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

SOS and Carlton have won the last three trade periods if you look at it from a collective perspective. Kennedy, 10 and 30, Lang, mullett, lobbe either fill needs (midfield depth) or coverage for injury (mullett and lobbe) all for the loss of Gibbs and a late pick.

Essendon - saad (they already had enough def run), McGrath won't be their midfield saviour nor will smith (rumoured to have failed Carltons medical - degenerative knee problem) or stringer (picks and choose but he holds the most upside). But Essendon needed inside midfielder (Kennedy being an option but he chose Carlton). They also gave up this years draft after they've missed a lot of drafts over the previous years. They will fall quite rapidly when replying on their depth which isn't there.

Port - topped up with Rockliff who is probsbly past it. Brisbane clearly let him go for a reason. Excellent SuperCoach player (downhill skier) but his shoulders are about done and will probably spend the remainder of his career in the fwd 50. Losing lobbe (ruck depth - might be needed with Ryder being all they have) and trengrove (important to their structure) to gain the fringe of nearly every afl team going. Thomas FFS can't get a game at north that is so bad. This willbe Collingwood drafting bad. People are going to lose jobs over this. Can't beat a top 8 team so top up. There is a huge gap between port and a premiership and what they did isn't enough to bridge it.
It's amazing how SOS keeps winning the trade periods - 3 in a row now! - yet the Blues are anchored towards the bottom of the table.

Something just doesn't appear to be adding up... ;)

It's amazing how SOS keeps winning the trade periods - 3 in a row now! - yet the Blues are anchored towards the bottom of the table.

Something just doesn't appear to be adding up... ;)
I think the answer is that he won the trade periods personally.... his reputation keeps getting enhanced.... the club, not so much.

I think the answer is that he won the trade periods personally.... his reputation keeps getting enhanced.... the club, not so much.
The bit I like is the need for cheap midfielders, but they took the $600k + Lobbe of your hands for a late pick, whilst you picked up Rockliff as a DFA for not much more $'s.

I know who won these deals...

Took over a bottom of the ladder team. Moved on over 40 players. What did you think was going to happen after just two seasons?
No doubt he has had to take you down the rebuild track, but it's a bit early to claim he has won 3 consecutive trade periods or he is a far superior list manager than Reid...

No doubt he has had to take you down the rebuild track, but it's a bit early to claim he has won 3 consecutive trade periods or he is a far superior list manager than Reid...

The nature of these threads are to call it early, when the net results of this year’s trades won’t be known for some time; but as the field looks now, in the spirit of the thread and making an early call, it’s not unreasonable to say he’s won his last 3 trade periods at all. It’s been a pretty good effort so far.

The nature of these threads are to call it early, when the net results of this year’s trades won’t be known for some time; but as the field looks now, in the spirit of the thread and making an early call, it’s not unreasonable to say he’s won his last 3 trade periods at all. It’s been a pretty good effort so far.
It's pure guesswork to say SOS has won the last 3 trades & we can't say whether they have been successful for a few more years yet. The odds he has won all 3 are very unlikely imo & only a biased Carlton supporter would make this claim.

It's pure guesswork to say SOS has won the last 3 trades & we can't say whether they have been successful for a few more years yet. The odds he has won all 3 are very unlikely imo & only a biased Carlton supporter would make this claim.

That’s what these threads are. Making an assessment of the present, which is essentially a prediction of the future. I think in all of these threads the last 3 years there are plenty of neutral supporters who rate Carlton’s trade period among the winners. I personally wouldn’t say he won the trade period, as in, he did better than everyone else; but I do think his last 3 years have been winners from what we can tell in this limited current perspective.

That’s what these threads are. Making an assessment of the present, which is essentially a prediction of the future. I think in all of these threads the last 3 years there are plenty of neutral supporters who rate Carlton’s trade period among the winners. I personally wouldn’t say he won the trade period, as in, he did better than everyone else; but I do think his last 3 years have been winners from what we can tell in this limited current perspective.
I haven't seen any neutral supporters claim Carlton have won 3 consecutive trade periods, which was the rather arrogant claim.

Its interesting to see everyone make strong remarks one way or another regarding the Gibbs for 2 first rounders trade. Personally think both clubs got exactly what they needed out of the trade, Carlton are rebuilding and Crows will be in the boxseat for a flag next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

By not addressing your needs for inside midfielders?

We haven't?

McGrath going in there, Smith going in there. Stringer in bursts.

Also still have Langford and Laverde to go through there, Parish, Heppell, Myers, Merrett...

And Kobe Mutch, who I REALLY like.

Don't get me wrong, it was an area of weakness in 2017, but to suggest we haven't addressed it is just wrong.

There’s so many incredible logic fails in this post that I don’t even know where to start. If I had to pick one though, I think my favourite is ‘FFS Lindsay Thomas can’t even get a game for Norf! But what a great pickup Aaron Mullett is for the mighty Blues.’

It's amazing that you could be critical of someone for 'logic fails' and follow that up immediately with this tripe...

Your club traded out its best midfielder and traded in four spuds. Bottom 4 again for the Blues next year.

1) We did not trade out our best midfielder. Bryce was not - and indeed was never at any stage of his career - our best midfielder.

A very good footballer no doubt, and he should do well at Adelaide, but your knowledge on this particular topic appears to be incredibly lacking.

2) We didn't trade in 4 players. Kennedy, Lang, Lobbe - that's 3. Happy to count them again for you if you'd like. Also very harsh in particular to Kennedy who is widely considered a very good young prospect rather than a spud.

The only holes mullett and lobbe are filling ain’t gonna be Carlton’s list (which trust me has a fair few

Mullett and Lobbe both very clearly fill a need for our club in 2018.

And besides - I reckon a Carlton fan might know a bit more about the club they support than you would. How readily would you concede some random knows more about your club than you do?

Not convinced Lang and Kennedy are gonna be saviours either

Not sure anyone has called them saviors in earnest. More likely two good young prospects who could develop into good footballers in the right environment.

1) We did not trade out our best midfielder. Bryce was not - and indeed was never at any stage of his career - our best midfielder.

Never at any stage of his career? So the bloke who won your B&F a few years back was a different Bryce Gibbs then?

If he’s not your absolute best he’s right up there with Murphy, and Murphy’s on the wrong side of 30.

Jeremias said:
2) We didn't trade in 4 players. Kennedy, Lang, Lobbe - that's 3. Happy to count them again for you if you'd like. Also very harsh in particular to Kennedy who is widely considered a very good young prospect rather than a spud.

Recruited then, not traded. Not sure how that technicality makes you any less likely to finish bottom 4.

Ever actually watched Kennedy or did you just look at his draft position? His skills are atrocious. He is young so maybe he’ll be able to improve in time, but as it stands right now he’s not fit to carry Bryce Gibbs’ bags.

Recruited then, not traded. Not sure how that technicality makes you any less likely to finish bottom 4.

If Carlton finish bottom 4 in 2018, it doesn't for one second change the fact that they are quite clearly making some sound list management decisions for the most part.

Not to make it about your side, but I would quite comfortably say that what they are doing is more likely to be 'right' than what Port are doing.

Never at any stage of his career? So the bloke who won your B&F a few years back was a different Bryce Gibbs then?

No, same Bryce Gibbs albeit that was his most consistent year.

Murphy and Judd were both better but missed games, allowing our most consistent player to rightfully claim a well deserved Best & Fairest.

If he’s not your absolute best he’s right up there with Murphy, and Murphy’s on the wrong side of 30.

He was behind both Judd and Murphy for many years. If you're ranking our mids he'd have also been behind Cripps over the past couple of years, despite his injury issues.

It likely makes no difference to our 2018 finishing position. Just found it amusing you're keen to jump on someone for 'logic fails' then follow it up with a complete failure of your own.

Ever actually watched Kennedy or did you just look at his draft position? His skills are atrocious. He is young so maybe he’ll be able to improve in time, but as it stands right now he’s not fit to carry Bryce Gibbs’ bags.

I've watched every game Kennedy has played at AFL level.

He's got plenty of time to increase the gap he has on SPP in terms of disposal efficiency. I guess consider SPP a spud as well?

Surely most people realise that Carlton have had 2-3 consistently good years of trade/FA?

Yeah, the trade where they gave up pick 7 for Jaksch, Whiley and a second rounder was a corker. Or when they gave away Zach Tuohy for what turned out to be a 6 pick upgrade. Or when they traded for four GWS players in one hit and got one half-decent player in Plowman out of the lot of them. Trading in Rhys Palmer on a two year deal and then cutting him after one year was a big highlight. Trading in Matthew Lobbe, a back-up ruckman so bad that he even struggled to get games in 2016 when Paddy Ryder was suspended for the whole year and who Port have been actively trying to get rid of for two seasons was another winning move.

Any club can trade out their good players for draft picks. Any club can pick up a heap of discards from other clubs on the cheap and hope that one or two of them work out OK. Neither of those things are hard to do. Carlton have made a few good moves (Marchbank was a great pickup) but they’ve made plenty of mistakes too.

It likely makes no difference to our 2018 finishing position. Just found it amusing you're keen to jump on someone for 'logic fails' then follow it up with a complete failure of your own.

Giving Thomas s**t for being a North discard and then praising the recruitment of Aaron Mullett is a logic fail. Disagreeing with you on the value of Bryce Gibbs is a difference of opinion, not a logic fail.

Jeremias said:
I've watched every game Kennedy has played at AFL level.

He's got plenty of time to increase the gap he has on SPP in terms of disposal efficiency. I guess consider SPP a spud as well?

Disposal efficiency lol. The most useless misleading stat in football. Get back to me when Kennedy can do this.

Giving Thomas s**t for being a North discard and then praising the recruitment of Aaron Mullett is a logic fail. Disagreeing with you on the value of Bryce Gibbs is a difference of opinion, not a logic fail.

You've shown yourself to be pretty clueless on the topic, regardless of what you choose to call it.

You put forward that Bryce was our best midfielder and we traded in 4 players - both are incorrect.

I haven't mentioned Bryce's value to you.

Disposal efficiency lol. The most useless misleading stat in football.

Agreed. Just a very easy way to expose your hypocrisy - calling Kennedy a spud yet gushing over SPP who himself struggled with the ball often in his debut season.

No doubt if Kennedy was wearing teal in 2018 you'd be enamored of him. Calling him a spud his clearly over the top.

Get back to me when Kennedy can do this.

A goal from outside 50? Whoa...you never see those these days! :rolleyes:

Kennedy too has kicked goals at AFL level.

Yeah, the trade where they gave up pick 7 for Jaksch, Whiley and a second rounder was a corker. Or when they gave away Zach Tuohy for what turned out to be a 6 pick upgrade. Or when they traded for four GWS players in one hit and got one half-decent player in Plowman out of the lot of them. Trading in Rhys Palmer on a two year deal and then cutting him after one year was a big highlight. Trading in Matthew Lobbe, a back-up ruckman so bad that he even struggled to get games in 2016 when Paddy Ryder was suspended for the whole year and who Port have been actively trying to get rid of for two seasons was another winning move.

Any club can trade out their good players for draft picks. Any club can pick up a heap of discards from other clubs on the cheap and hope that one or two of them work out OK. Neither of those things are hard to do. Carlton have made a few good moves (Marchbank was a great pickup) but they’ve made plenty of mistakes too.

Disposal efficiency lol. The most useless misleading stat in football. Get back to me when Kennedy can do this.

I'm curious why you feel so strongly about Carlton's list management.

I'm an Essendon fan, with a long and storied history of hating Carlton, and even I can see they are positioning themselves quite nicely.

And interesting that you point out trades they had the luxury of making because of the poor state of its list.

They are looking very nice indeed.

You've shown yourself to be pretty clueless on the topic, regardless of what you choose to call it.

You put forward that Bryce was our best midfielder and we traded in 4 players - both are incorrect.

Do you not know what the word ‘incorrect’ means? Your opinion regarding Bryce Gibbs is not ‘correct’ and mine is not ‘incorrect’. Nor is my opinion correct and yours incorrect. It’s an opinion. Suggesting otherwise is hugely arrogant.

And I’m not the only one who thinks so either: http://m.afl.com.au/news/2017-10-19/trade-period-analysis-how-did-your-club-fare.mobileapp

I said traded when I meant recruited. Not really a mistake worth dining out on and not something that has any bearing whatsoever on how good or bad Carlton’s off-season was, but if it makes you feel better, keep plugging away.

Jeremias said:
Agreed. Just a very easy way to expose your hypocrisy - calling Kennedy a spud yet gushing over SPP who himself struggled with the ball often in his debut season.

Lol. Rating one player higher than another because you found a junk stat that happens to support your argument is ‘hypocrisy’ now?

SPP and Kennedy were both eligible for the Rising Star this year. SPP came third, Kennedy wasn’t even nominated. I guess the Rising Star judges must be hypocrites too.

Here’s the top 10 in the AFL for disposal efficiency in 2017: Josh Cowan, Jack Fitzpatrick, Jarred Jansen, Fletcher Roberts, Alex Keath, Brandon Jack, Fraser McInnes, Neville Jetta, Zac Dawson, Ryan Harwood. Excuse me for not rating players in accordance with their disposal efficiency ranking.

Jeremias said:
No doubt if Kennedy was wearing teal in 2018 you'd be enamored of him.

If Kennnedy was wearing teal in 2018 I’d be hoping that the significant flaws in his game could be ironed out with experience. Based on what he’s shown at AFL level so far, I wouldn’t be confident that he’d be able to do so.

Jeremias said:
A goal from outside 50? Whoa...you never see those these days! :rolleyes:

You see plenty of goals from outside 50 these days. That’s far from the only goal that SPP kicked from outside 50 this year. But you don’t see many goals from outside 50 from blokes who can’t kick, like Matthew Kennedy.

Back