Rumour Dees pull out of tough training camp

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
No Jack Watts no Melbourne

Dear oh dear, and they wonder why they lack fortitude

Tail is starting to wag the dog already, pack your bags Goodwin you aint gonna wash the Neeld Shwabolly out of this lot of marshmellows

As a final insult Petracca will ask for a trade to Saints at the end of the year

Goodwin is a deadshit too, will be seen as a poor decision in not too long.

Getting rid of Watts because, what, he liked his mates too much? Ludicrous. He's an average coach and his notion of total dedication and hard work and resilience isn't right for this generation. Wasn't he harsh on Jesse Hogan too, totally forgetting the guy had the weight of a club, his own health issues, and his father's death to contend with? Some of the greatest players of all time like drinking piss, hated training, and even didn't get along with every other person at the club... Swanny, Buddy, Aker...

How was he harsh on Hogan?

Have we had a s**t culture? No doubt. Is this an example? Nope.
just think it screams volumes of your group really. coach and club wants you to do something to build a bond and though its hard to help one an other through it instead your players crack the sads and cry not wanting to do it

just think it screams volumes of your group really. coach and club wants you to do something to build a bond and though its hard to help one an other through it instead your players crack the sads and cry not wanting to do it

Do you understand what the camp actually entails or are you just laying the boot in as usual?

How was he harsh on Hogan?
There are rumours he was happy to shop him around, or that he just doesn't like him.

Him getting out Watts was... Watts was shattered, other players were surprised... Watts is the most Melbourne boy ever. I was genuinely pretty sad to see it happen. I really want the Dees to do well, they're a second team of mine, but a big part of that was willing on Watts.

This rationale of getting the young blokes into the heat or a swamp and making them carry bricks around and sleeping in swags might have worked 30 years ago, but these guys are of a different generation. This generation don't respond to coaches who just yell at everyone or expect 'high standards' constantly.

Going on camps can be really beneficial but this hard arse approach is dumb. You need to look at every individual and understand what everyone needs: some players will be embarrassed by things that others may take something out of, others may grow in confidence whereas others'll have a huge ego.

There is a reason the Hawks were so successful and it's because Hodge and Clarko knew how to respect everyone and treat people. Beveridge and Dimma knew how to react and harness energy and personalities rather than anything else. Guys like Ross Lyon, Rodney Eade, and that Richardson dick at St Kilda are useless because all they care about are a certain type of player and personality... like... Nick Suban.

I warned Richardson not to sleep with your sister ...

Do you understand what the camp actually entails or are you just laying the boot in as usual?

Whether the camp was a good idea or a shizen idea, it is extraodinary that the players went, or had to go, to the Union to get it overturned against the Footy Dept's wishes.

Massive disconnect.

This rationale of getting the young blokes into the heat or a swamp and making them carry bricks around and sleeping in swags might have worked 30 years ago, but these guys are of a different generation. This generation don't respond to coaches who just yell at everyone or expect 'high standards' constantly.

Going on camps can be really beneficial but this hard arse approach is dumb. You need to look at every individual and understand what everyone needs: some players will be embarrassed by things that others may take something out of, others may grow in confidence whereas others'll have a huge ego.

There is a reason the Hawks were so successful and it's because Hodge and Clarko knew how to respect everyone and treat people. Beveridge and Dimma knew how to react and harness energy and personalities rather than anything else. Guys like Ross Lyon, Rodney Eade, and that Richardson dick at St Kilda are useless because all they care about are a certain type of player and personality... like... Nick Suban.

I think Kokoda is a great idea Clarkson had as it is a very tough thing to do, but it doesn't involve players being yelled at or being told to be trying 100% at all times. It is something that involves teammates encouraging each other and helping each other, and at the same time helping the players learn about an important part of Australian history.

Doing the Kokoda track would not feel like a punishment to the players I don't think.

It’s great to see the mid 90s training styles aren’t dead. I’m sure Dees players can look forward to the 100x100s, fire walks and young players getting belted up by senior players while the rest of the team stands around in a circle.
David Cordner, grandson of Don Cordner, I used live next door to. He told me one day that those 100x100 were like. He said it was ******* brutal, blokes dropping left right and centre and vomit everywhere.

It’s great to see the mid 90s training styles aren’t dead. I’m sure Dees players can look forward to the 100x100s, fire walks and young players getting belted up by senior players while the rest of the team stands around in a circle.
Takes me back to the defence force in the early to mid 2000’s.

There are rumours he was happy to shop him around, or that he just doesn't like him.

Him getting out Watts was... Watts was shattered, other players were surprised... Watts is the most Melbourne boy ever. I was genuinely pretty sad to see it happen. I really want the Dees to do well, they're a second team of mine, but a big part of that was willing on Watts.

Both have spoken about their strong relationship publicly. They had reasons to boot Watts out, he just doesn't work hard enough.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is a reason the Hawks were so successful and it's because Hodge and Clarko knew how to respect everyone and treat people..
Clarkson is an avid supporter of the Kokoda track and all that it stands for. I’ve lost count of the amount of times we’ve taken players and corporates over to PNG.

It’s the very thing he makes sure pretty much all players and staff at Hawthorn have completed and the four pillars(courage, endurance, mateship, sacrifice) are still a key part of the HFC culture and system that Clarkson brought to the table.

Kinda contradicts your theory that hard camps are a thing of the distant past.

First thing Clarko did at Hawthorn was turf out the players who weren't mentally and physically resilient.

And ever since he's got rid of players as soon as they aren't of value, or even before hand. Kennett tried to enforce a rule that no Premiership player would be traded. Clarko traded Mark Williams.

What did he do with all the Hawks and then every young player since - he takes them up Kokoda. Sure isn't for a picnic. The Kokoda trail is a military bootcamp!

There's also nothing more overplayed that the 'this generation' stuff. Yeah, with the internet and flow of information young people today like to be informed of 'why' something is true, but overwhelming young athletic footballers still want to challenged and thrive on team work and competition. This is an issue bought about from player power more than changing generations.

Whether the camp was a good idea or a shizen idea, it is extraodinary that the players went, or had to go, to the Union to get it overturned against the Footy Dept's wishes.

Massive disconnect.

Don't disagree.

was an army/sas camp wasn't it?

Yes. Do you think mass sleep deprivation is a good idea for professional athletes?

Goodwin is a deadshit too, will be seen as a poor decision in not too long.

Getting rid of Watts because, what, he liked his mates too much? Ludicrous. He's an average coach and his notion of total dedication and hard work and resilience isn't right for this generation. Wasn't he harsh on Jesse Hogan too, totally forgetting the guy had the weight of a club, his own health issues, and his father's death to contend with? Some of the greatest players of all time like drinking piss, hated training, and even didn't get along with every other person at the club... Swanny, Buddy, Aker...
Hang on a minute, this is bullshit. He got rid of Watts because his standards were and are B grade. This has been known for years and we finally made the call. Big deal.

The Jesse Hogan stuff is bull dust as well, can't even recall anything like that being said. You've seen Goodwin coach one year of footy, but early to call him a dead s**t.

Don't disagree.

Yes. Do you think mass sleep deprivation is a good idea for professional athletes?
Sleep for what 2 days? Big deal they only get 5 hours sleep a night for 2 days. They'll recover in 1 day once back home

Get real mate. The injuries sustained last year to one of our key young players hampered him all year. When you get injured during pre season it's really hard to get back to full fitness and have a big year.

I don't give a toss whether you think our club is pissweak, but it's as dumb as it gets if we are injuring players in SAS style training camps where they could be actually training specifically to football at high levels of intensity if that is the objective.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back