News Melbourne player accused of sexual assault

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
These stories have a tendency in AFL and other sporting codes, of just going away. Unless the victim is allergic to cash, then I can see this getting swept under the carpet like the hundreds before this incident with footballers.

I just laugh when the AFL hands out a 3 week ban to Broad who distributed a naked photo without permission of a woman. If the AFL were truly serious about stopping this behaviour, then Broad should have been made an example of..

the whole Stkilda school girl was a false allegation, that went well for us......
Saints supporters have seen these types of investigations 3 times now. It's destroyed my confidence in the justice system being able to fairly investigate incidents involving high profile athletes without interference and a mis carriage of justice.

The worst offender of the 3 cases was without doubt Andrew Lovett. Numerous witnesses including his team mates testified against him but he got off. Only for him to severely assault a women this year. The bloke is absolute scum.

Don't get me started on the st Kilda school girl saga. Any other person and there would be a strong case for defamation and if it happened now she would be facing jail time for theft and distribution of the nude photos.

The Milne case had cops on both sides booted from the force for interference. One cop was having a sexual relationship with the accuser and gave his evidence from South America after being booted. Glaring holes in both sides of the evidence that change considerably from the initial reports.

Saints supporters have seen these types of investigations 3 times now. It's destroyed my confidence in the justice system being able to fairly investigate incidents involving high profile athletes without interference and a mis carriage of justice.

The worst offender of the 3 cases was without doubt Andrew Lovett. Numerous witnesses including his team mates testified against him but he got off. Only for him to severely assault a women this year. The bloke is absolute scum.

Don't get me started on the st Kilda school girl saga. Any other person and there would be a strong case for defamation and if it happened now she would be facing jail time for theft and distribution of the nude photos.

The Milne case had cops on both sides booted from the force for interference. One cop was having a sexual relationship with the accuser and gave his evidence from South America after being booted. Glaring holes in both sides of the evidence that change considerably from the initial reports.

Sexual misconduct or assault allegations are almost always fraught with complications that make it incredibly difficult to assess or judge.

It's very rare that an Adrian Bailey style random attack and rape is the issue and can be proven with evidence and facts.

The schoolgirl incident involved incredibly poor behaviour from her part - but she was also underage. The Milne incident involved multiple people in a pitch black room and you could only truly assess that case if you knew what was in Milnes mind (and even the accusers mind) at the time.

Lovett Murrays story appears more straight forward, but even then, it's a he said/she said matter that nobody else witnessed.

A long time ago now, I was accused of harassing (verbally) a girl that I went to high school with. I was a good kid with plenty of friends so I was utterly shocked when I found myself in the principals office being asked for my version of events. It turned out she had lied and her mother wrote me a letter of apology on her behalf. We were actually friends before that and I never spoke to her again (through being angry with her and also through fear of being in contact with her again).

That fairly minor experience has stayed with me for 25 years and I guess it's left me always wanting to know the facts before jumping to any conclusions.

These stories have a tendency in AFL and other sporting codes, of just going away. Unless the victim is allergic to cash, then I can see this getting swept under the carpet like the hundreds before this incident with footballers.

I just laugh when the AFL hands out a 3 week ban to Broad who distributed a naked photo without permission of a woman. If the AFL were truly serious about stopping this behaviour, then Broad should have been made an example of..
Pretty much. A 3 week ban is a joke for what he did. You or I get caught doing that and I reckon I'd be sacked by my employer.

Sexual misconduct or assault allegations are almost always fraught with complications that make it incredibly difficult to assess or judge.

It's very rare that an Adrian Bailey style random attack and rape is the issue and can be proven with evidence and facts.

The schoolgirl incident involved incredibly poor behaviour from her part - but she was also underage. The Milne incident involved multiple people in a pitch black room and you could only truly assess that case if you knew what was in Milnes mind (and even the accusers mind) at the time.

Lovett Murrays story appears more straight forward, but even then, it's a he said/she said matter that nobody else witnessed.

A long time ago now, I was accused of harassing (verbally) a girl that I went to high school with. I was a good kid with plenty of friends so I was utterly shocked when I found myself in the principals office being asked for my version of events. It turned out she had lied and her mother wrote me a letter of apology on her behalf. We were actually friends before that and I never spoke to her again (through being angry with her and also through fear of being in contact with her again).

That fairly minor experience has stayed with me for 25 years and I guess it's left me always wanting to know the facts before jumping to any conclusions.
Me too. On two occasions have been wrongly criticised for something and have had no way of defending myself fairly due to the fact a lie was made up about me.

Yeh it's tough enough without the pressure of public opinion. I have no doubt that if the accused wasn't Milne and say someone more likeable like a Hayes then I doubt it would have got to the courts.

We saw it with the st kilda school girl stuff. She was having a relationship with beams at Collingwood at the same time. No mention of Collingwood at all. Because what media organisation is going to openly slander a big powerful club like the pies. Hell compare the Milne case with the beams rape case. The damage done to innocent players like reiwoldt and dal Santo was unforgivable. She claimed they raped her. To then claiming group sex. She claimed she took the photos. People quickly saw through it and pointed out that no hotel in Melbourne had the interior shown in the photo. She then changed her story until people told her the hotel was in Florida. This happened right when roo was just in a relationship with his now wife. She was well within her rights to leave him based on what Duthie was saying. Oh then there was the Suzie obrien piece about how reiwoldt was abusing the pregnant with twins Kim duthie. All made up.

On the Milne case they did lighting tests on the room and apparently based on the evidence and time it was still pretty lit and in any case in the early testimonies apparently he was talking but she reckoned she couldn't tell the difference between Milne and Montagna voice despite Milne having a very noticeable lisp. The problem is those testimonies on both sides changed considerably over the next 7 years I suspect due to both sides repositioning strategically to the other. I also heard it was a case of digital rape and they went for the stronger case to try push a plea. My take on it is that Milne put himself in a bad position and had a partner. At a minimum it's not good behaviour. But to his credit At least he plead guilty to a stronger charge and looked to move on and take responsibility. Other players in the same position never did so.

Apparently Lovett was able to shed doubt on the accuser by branding her racist. Sickening.

Let's not forget when the woman distributed the photos of cloke and swan they were basically hero's.

Also broad was what, 19? Kids stupid and immature doesn't mean his footy career should be over.

As for the sexual allegations there's as much evidence at current to suggest she made up as their is he is guilty. Or he and he or she and she.. whatever.

Certainly the way everyone presumes guilt now is ****ed

You realise what he did is a criminal offence right? He was lucky to get away with what he got.

The young lady chose not to take him to court. Why then should the AFL clubs decide they are a better enforcer of the law

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And why do you think she chose not to?

$$$$

So then it can't have been that trumatic and experience if some money made it go away. I even read that the woman accusing Jaryd Hayne is asking for money for her alleged rape.

Anyway point is if the woman deems that 50k slung her way was enough to make it go away then who are others to suggest he should get more of a punishment?

And why do you think she chose not to?
So then it can't have been that trumatic and experience if some money made it go away.
For arguments sake, there's plenty of other reasons she may have settled: to protect her identity, to end an embarrassing part of her life as quickly as possible, because court processes can be long/painful/expensive/exhaustive...

I can't comment on whether three weeks was an appropriate penalty because I don't know the details, but if she consented to the pictures being taken and explicitly said they weren't to be shared, then three weeks is a tad fortunate.

Right and he copped a punishment
What sort of punishment would you want

Happy for the clubs/AFL to sort out punishments. I merely pointed out that he was not 19 and had been educated, so his young and stupid defense wouldn't stand.

So then it can't have been that trumatic and experience if some money made it go away. I even read that the woman accusing Jaryd Hayne is asking for money for her alleged rape.

Isn't that because the police couldn't uncover enough evidence so she has filed a civil suit where the burden of proof is lesser? I'm sure she wanted the criminal conviction.

Mate bringing your company's name into disrepute is very much a dismissible offence.
Exactly. I'm a school teacher, and if I did what Broad did, I'd be not only out of a job, but my career would be over. I think three weeks is a rediculous penalty for what he did. My point is, the AFL act like it is their business to be ambassadors for women's rights, and yet when a woman is violated, they are happy to pay her $20,000 for her to shut up and give Broad just a three week penalty. The AFL are a joke. I'm not saying giving Broad a harsh penalty would stop players from sexually assaulting women, but giving Broad maybe half a season penalty sure would send a message. Three weeks is pathetic.

Exactly. I'm a school teacher, and if I did what Broad did, I'd be not only out of a job, but my career would be over. I think three weeks is a rediculous penalty for what he did. My point is, the AFL act like it is their business to be ambassadors for women's rights, and yet when a woman is violated, they are happy to pay her $20,000 for her to shut up and give Broad just a three week penalty. The AFL are a joke. I'm not saying giving Broad a harsh penalty would stop players from sexually assaulting women, but giving Broad maybe half a season penalty sure would send a message. Three weeks is pathetic.

Eh. If she feels seriously violated by naked pictures of her being circulated around, I would suggest she tries keeping her clothes on. Haven't seen the photos and didn't pay much attention to the hubbub at the time, but there seems a sure-fire method of prevention for this problem here. Not condoning what old mate did, by the way.

Eh. If she feels seriously violated by naked pictures of her being circulated around, I would suggest she tries keeping her clothes on. Haven't seen the photos and didn't pay much attention to the hubbub at the time, but there seems a sure-fire method of prevention for this problem here. Not condoning what old mate did, by the way.
And the girl in the short dress was asking to be raped...

And the girl in the short dress was asking to be raped...

Yes, hyperbole is an excellent response. God forbid someone take some accountability for their actions. Getting nude for an impromptu photo shoot or whatever she did is on her. Sending photos around to his mates is on the Richmond bloke. The second part wouldn't have happened without the first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back