Free Agency Tom Lynch [moves to Richmond as a Restricted Free Agent]

Will Lynch stay at the Suns?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

No, both players are in the same boat.
Both RFAs.
Both offered significant coin to leave their club.

Amazing all North supporters were arguing there is no reason their club would be offering up draft picks for Dusty a few months ago.

Now they think the situation will be completely different for Tom Lynch?

As North fans reminded me a few months ago, if a player decides to leave in free agency, the rules say you can match, but clubs realistically don’t want to pay a player significant overs who doesn’t want to be there.

Free agency is a s**t system but that’s how it works.

North wouldn't have traded for dusty games ben his age. But we would have been paying that for Kelly. Every situation is different and when u have potentially three clubs desperate for lynch matching an offer and forcing a trade or keeping lynch might be the best thing for the Gold Coast.

Better than getting a young kid that might up and leave in 2 years like just about every good kid they have drafted has.

Geelong traded for Danger. With increased competition from multiple suitors I could see it happening.
Managers and clubs work these things out months in advance.

There’s almost zero chance Lynch says that he’s coming home and is open to whoever can get the deal done. It doesn’t happen, and for good reason.

Leaving a club and enduring all the media fanfare is a big enough ordeal on its own without putting yourself in the middle of a bidding war.

No, both players are in the same boat.
Both RFAs.
Both offered significant coin to leave their club.

Amazing all North supporters were arguing there is no reason their club would be offering up draft picks for Dusty a few months ago.

Now they think the situation will be completely different for Tom Lynch?

As North fans reminded me a few months ago, if a player decides to leave in free agency, the rules say you can match, but clubs realistically don’t want to pay a player significant overs who doesn’t want to be there.

Free agency is a s**t system but that’s how it works.
Every situation is different. GC would be desperate to keep Lynch, and would be more than happy to pay whatever is required to keep him at the club.

So far he hasn't shown any signs of problems with the club that I've seen, so there's a lot of assumptions about him wanting to leave being thrown around.

I will agree on your point about free agency being s**t though, the whole compo system is idiotic. Just get rid of the salary cap floor and let teams do free agency properly with no compo. But that's a conversation for a different time.

He's staying unless GC finish bottom and decide they would rather pick 2 than Lynch (unlikely) or someone is willing to trade. I imagine GC would want similar to the O'Meara or Treloar deals.

No club can outbid GC, the Dusty comparisons make no sense.

He's staying unless GC finish bottom and decide they would rather pick 2 than Lynch (unlikely) or someone is willing to trade. I imagine GC would want similar to the O'Meara or Treloar deals.

No club can outbid GC, the Dusty comparisons make no sense.

No club will compete with the millions the AFL will offer him as an ambassador.

Will be a massive kick in the teeth if he still leaves.

No club will compete with the millions the AFL will offer him as an ambassador.

Will be a massive kick in the teeth if he still leaves.
Anyone decent who wants out of the Suns/GWS gets an automatic call from AFL house and a extra couple of zeros added to a contract.

They've done it with Ablett, they did it with O'Meara, they did it with Shiel, they probably did it with Kelly and they'll do it with Lynch.

It’s a lottery, seeing as it’s a super draft we could almost be better off with 2 highish picks in the top 10-15. We don’t necessarily need the best player in the draft.
If getting a compo pick gives you a crack at Lukosious, Rankine or King, its automatically worth more than 2 later picks. The top end talent in this years draft is bonkers. Those guys would have all gone pick 1 if any had been eligible in last years draft.

Last edited:
You’re living in fantasy land on so many levels.
Geelong traded Pick 9, 28 and a no-name player for Dangerfield, but you think Hawthorn or Collingwood would hand over Pick 6 and a future 1st. It's not going to happen.
Clubs don’t just hand over first round picks. Especially for FA's who've declared they want out.
The 'no name' player, who coincidentally, happens to be back training with the Cats - Gore

Having a field day with your posts, clubs don't just hand over 1st rd picks is a reasonable comment until you realise that your club did exactly that for O'Meara.

And as for the FA that has declared they want out, who is that..? Believe this thread is about Tom Lynch and I've never once seen Lynchy say he wants out, regardless of the media spin on words to sell content.

Whether he stays or goes, Tom Lynch will commend a premium price.

The 'no name' player, who coincidentally, happens to be back training with the Cats - Gore
Yeah ok, that’s great...I guess.

Having a field day with your posts, clubs don't just hand over 1st rd picks is a reasonable comment until you realise that your club did exactly that for O'Meara.
O’meara is an elite young mid, and wasn’t a Free Agent.
The comparison is void.

And as for the FA that has declared they want out, who is that..? Believe this thread is about Tom Lynch and I've never once seen Lynchy say he wants out, regardless of the media spin on words to sell content.
Bloody hell, do you not understand the context of the conversation that you’ve just walked into.

It’s a discussion about how Lynch arrives at another club as a FA.

Whether he stays or goes, Tom Lynch will commend a premium price.
Not one person is saying he wouldn’t.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Will be at the Pies imo Eddie will be flashing that big cheque book.

Lynch and Moore

Pretty good forward duo.
It's down to the Hawks and Pies and I know he has met with the Hawks already.

Guess it could come down to whether he wants to play for a 4 X Premiership coach and a master at rebuilds or a bloke that has taken his club backwards every season.

Or money of course.

Will be at the Pies imo Eddie will be flashing that big cheque book.

Lynch and Moore

Pretty good forward duo.

I like to think landing Lynch means we can place Moore at CHB as Reid’s replacement. Moore has had close to zero exposure as a defender at senior level yet on the few occasions he played there in 2017, he intercepted everything that came his way. As a forward, he might be an above average to good key forward, as a defender he could become one of the best.

Lynch + small marking targets like Elliott and Fasolo/Murphy is my ideal forward set-up if we win Lynch.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Gold Coast are the AFL's biggest worry by a long way. Eight years in and they still look like a bottom 4 side and are still losing good players.

Their trading this year was bizarre and botched where basically they ended up trading picks 2, 22, 24, 35, 37 for Lachie Weller and pick 42 and then basically drafted nobodies. Should have kept all the picks and got Weller this year.

They have a cruel draw due to the Commonwealth Games so are in the 2018 Wooden Spoon mix for sure.

So from an AFL point of view, can they "allow" Gold Coasts best player and the most valuable type of player in a KPF to walk out the door? Doesn't matter how good the compo, it will just add another couple of highly talented kids to a side that screams out for mature class. So I think the AFL will have a hand in what happens just like they often do. Prime exhibit - the Motlop compo was a joke but the AFL did it to make sure G Ablett got back to Geelong.

So Lynch is no certainty to leave, it will need to be "sanctioned" by the AFL and the $ needed by a Vic club to get him will be the biggest deal we've yet seen in $ terms and length of contract.

Last edited:
Gold Coast are the AFL's biggest worry by a long way. Eight years in and they still look like a bottom 4 side and are still losing good players.

Their trading this year was bizarre and botched where basically they ended up trading picks 2, 22, 24, 35, 37 for Lachie Weller and pick 42 and then basically drafted nobodies. Should have kept all the picks and got Weller this year.

They have a cruel draw due to the Commonwealth Games so are in the 2018 Wooden Spoon mix for sure.

So from an AFL point of view, can they "allow" Gold Coasts best player and the most valuable type of player in a KPF to walk out the door? Doesn't matter how good the compo, it will just add another couple of highly talented kids to a side that screams out for mature class. So I think the AFL will have a hand in what happens just like they often do. Prime exhibit - the Motlop compo was a joke but the AFL did it to make sure G Ablett got back to Geelong.

So Lynch is no certainty to leave, it will need to be "sanctioned" by the AFL and the $ needed by a Vic club to get him will be the biggest deal we've yet seen in $ terms and length of contract.
It won’t need to be sanctioned by the AFL at all though.

All Lynch needs to do is say “I don’t want to play here anymore, and I don’t care for more money” and it’s pretty much done, no matter how much money the AFL promise to give him.

Anyone decent who wants out of the Suns/GWS gets an automatic call from AFL house and a extra couple of zeros added to a contract.

They've done it with Ablett, they did it with O'Meara, they did it with Shiel, they probably did it with Kelly and they'll do it with Lynch.
exactly...

All the Ablett AFL ambassador $$ is looking for a home - and its got Lynch's name all over it.

Will it make him stay? - who knows - but it will get thrown at him for sure.

GO Catters

I think Lynch will leave and the Suns will take the compo and start the rebuild properly
If they finish last or 2nd last they will have 2 very good picks to select 2 very good youngsters and will move on from Lynch and bring in players that will want to be there the following year and will start to show signs in 2020

It's down to the Hawks and Pies and I know he has met with the Hawks already.

Guess it could come down to whether he wants to play for a 4 X Premiership coach and a master at rebuilds or a bloke that has taken his club backwards every season.

Or money of course.

Have to agree, unless Buckley pulls some kind of miracle this season a player leaving a bottom club
for success isn't heading to another club who can't make finals.

Weren't there whispers that Jeff Kennett had put Gil on notice that any funny bugger AFL "incentives" won't be acceptable? If so, I can see Eddie doing the same thing.

Like it in theory at least.

I get the need for the AFL to help make GC work, but I also get that teams like the Hawks/Pies want a "fair" crack at someone as good as Lynch. If he stays id hope it's because he wants to be there or because the GC alone gave him what's he wants.

The AFL needs to be held accountable if they "nudge" things here or there.

I think Lynch will leave and the Suns will take the compo and start the rebuild properly
If they finish last or 2nd last they will have 2 very good picks to select 2 very good youngsters and will move on from Lynch and bring in players that will want to be there the following year and will start to show signs in 2020
The build started 2 years ago with 4 picks in the 10

Weren't there whispers that Jeff Kennett had put Gil on notice that any funny bugger AFL "incentives" won't be acceptable? If so, I can see Eddie doing the same thing.

Like it in theory at least.

I get the need for the AFL to help make GC work, but I also get that teams like the Hawks/Pies want a "fair" crack at someone as good as Lynch. If he stays id hope it's because he wants to be there or because the GC alone gave him what's he wants.

The AFL needs to be held accountable if they "nudge" things here or there.

The AFL will do as they please, let them stretch the cap on Lynch and then target 2 meter Peter.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Back