Mega Thread The new Bucks mega-thread. It's Official. 2 Year Deal for Bucks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The H & A season was fine - it was the end result after such a good season that was bizarre. I live in hope that the Universe will one day correct itself and we'll win 3 - 4 flags in a decade - all by excruiatingly narrow margins
"I’d seen that too many times before" - when the Universe corrects itself - the agony of losing those GFs by less than a goal - "64, "66, "79 will disappear into a black hole.
View attachment 450409
PS - forget 1970 - that agony can never be fixed!!!
I would like to put the Carlton FC and all its supporters into that hole.

Realist.
Because I’ve lived 50+ years following this great club.
And I know how we f*rk up by being “loyal” to club greats.
Jobs for the boys should be our motto.

Mate you and I are totally on the same page. Nice for a change. Pleasure to meet you. We are a rare breed. I have 2 questions for you:

(i) Did you also correctly forecast the long term demise of our club post 2011?
(ii) Where did you think we will finish in 2018?

Jmac - I'm always honest.... YES-I've always rated Burns - as a player, captain and assistant coach - hard to tell with assistants because it's the head coach in the spotlight - but the industry seems to rate him and if Clarkson gives him a gig that's a fair endorsement.

Edit - PS - I've run into him a couple of times - he lives out my way - both times up for a chat.. On one occasion he was coming out of a Thai restaurant as we were going in - I offered some coaching tips - he smiled broadly and said thanks... (probably muttered "wa*nker" out of my hearing) but that's ok - been called worse :)

Wouldn't happen to be a little Thai restaurant in a leafy eastern suburb, would it?

I was being nice to CFC.
Bombers will be top 4 contenders in 2018.
They have a good coach, they have players who have come on in the last two years. They have recruited extremely well.
They have Luke Ball.
In short, despite the horror of the last four years, they have stability and talent.
Wish I could say the same for my club.

Interesting to observe that quality men like Ball and Burns have found there way to other clubs...............

Interesting to observe that quality men like Ball and Burns have found there way to other clubs...............
Do you think that Nick Maxwell is a quality man?

I did not know that Luke was still working for us, what was he doing and why was he sacked

I did not know that Luke was still working for us, what was he doing and why was he sacked
Apparently he had a falling out with Bucks, something to do with the game plan...

Apparently he had a falling out with Bucks, something to do with the game plan...
What the one we had in 2009. Wish they talk about the now, not medieval history.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm pretty sure that the board wanting Mick out is a little bit more than just some theory but it's not that important to the point which you so eloquently make. Frankly, with the benefit of hindsight, I actually believe we'd have been better off had Mick been summarily sacked at the end of 2009 and an experienced coach appointed. Naturally my standpoint is nothing more than speculation but I kike to think that we'd have at least 2 premierships in those circumstances.
Not saying the board didn't want him out, was stating that wanting him out may have been a mistake if they did in fact show him the door in 2009 - quite possible we'd have 1 less flag and also possible as you say have another 1 in the cabinet

Not saying the board didn't want him out, was stating that wanting him out may have been a mistake if they did in fact show him the door in 2009 - quite possible we'd have 1 less flag and also possible as you say have another 1 in the cabinet

Or maybe the departure of MM in 2009 means we change drafting/trading tack and set ourselves for a 3-peat 2012-13-14. Gotta love a good hypothetical.

I try hard to avoid the succession plan discussion. But some things really bug me about season 2011, and it’s not just losing the GF. I’d seen that too many times before.

If you look at our stats, they change at about Round 16. We started to go off the boil around then.

It was about then when Heater got into trouble for betting, and was suspended for the last eight games. Maxy also got into trouble for passing on info to his family (mum?).

I’ve just finished Dane Swan’s book, where he reveals that ‘some’ players went to MM to plead that he stay on as senior coach for 2012, and that occurred at about Round 16.

When did MM make his infamous appearance on the Footy Show?

Seems to me there were several things going on internally, as we turned towards the finals, that did not work in our favour. All of them were self-induced, and not all were down to MM.

A bizarre season. To have been so dominant, and then to stumble when the crunch came.
These are the reasons so many have their back up about the "plan". Surely the club knew MM and some players had their nose out of joint about the plan, so why the f*** would you go ahead with it Collingwood?! FMD :drunk:

It was at that point when players are pleading with MM to stay on as coach in futility that this plan was never ever going to work. The question then is what are the alternatives? If the club is/was going to deny knowledge of that then that is at the very least ignorant

Nathan did offer to wait until MM was ready (if this is incorrect please call me out), this is big for two reasons:

A/ It seemed it was obvious to Nathan that his view was that the playing group was invested in MM and /or did not want Nathan to take the mantle at the proposed time and yet it looks externally at least that the club was going to ignore (and did) the apparent dissension

B/ It seems there were few outside the club (the supporters) that knew that Nathan made the honourable offer (if that is indeed true) and since it seems to have painted Nathan in a greedy light in the view of those supporters hence the vitriol undeservedly directed at Nathan. Certainly I did not know - way to go Collingwood!, that's how you look after one of your clubs favourite sons.... not

I am confounded that such a dominant team, in it's infancy i:e more time in dominance to come was allowed to fall apart because of the stubbornness of the club and it's skewed view of the way forward

If there was ever a time we as a club had an opportunity to dominate the competition like the hawks, cats and swans have, well that was definitely one of them.

Can't help but feel opportunity wasted:(:'(

Last edited:

You still haven’t figured out that if former player X, or high flying assistant Y, doesn’t come to us then it’s a massive fail by the club?:rolleyes:

Nothing to do with vacancies, club structure, salaries, resources and the dreaded cap on footy dept spending. And the reality - which I can live with - that some people don’t like Collingwood and don’t want to work for or associate with us. It happens.

BTW, I think the Bombers have picked up a beauty in Luke Ball, and I’m a bit envious about that.

What do you think the pass mark should be for Buckley in 2018?

Great question.

I will be quite candid here. I firmly believe that the ongoing tenures of Buckley and McGuire are not in Collingwood's long term best interests, for all the reasons previously espoused. Of that I have absolutely no doubt. And it's not personal. Therefore I really have no pass mark. The side may actually have a half decent year, by our now commissioned low standards, and finish say 8th-10th. So what? It achieves nothing. In fact this is my greatest fear. Whether you believe me or not, I am along term passionate Pies man and until this regime is removed in full, we materially go nowhere. You can take that to the Bank.

So I am sorry but I genuinely have no pass mark.

You still haven’t figured out that if former player X, or high flying assistant Y, doesn’t come to us then it’s a massive fail by the club?:rolleyes:

Nothing to do with vacancies, club structure, salaries, resources and the dreaded cap on footy dept spending. And the reality - which I can live with - that some people don’t like Collingwood and don’t want to work for or associate with us. It happens.

BTW, I think the Bombers have picked up a beauty in Luke Ball, and I’m a bit envious about that.

Me too.

Great question.

I will be quite candid here. I firmly believe that the ongoing tenures of Buckley and McGuire are not in Collingwood's long term best interests, for all the reasons previously espoused. Of that I have absolutely no doubt. And it's not personal. Therefore I really have no pass mark. The side may actually have a half decent year, by our now commissioned low standards, and finish say 8th-10th. So what? It achieves nothing. In fact this is my greatest fear. Whether you believe me or not, I am along term passionate Pies man and until this regime is removed in full, we materially go nowhere. You can take that to the Bank.

So I am sorry but I genuinely have no pass mark.
Sounds like you’ve made your mind up on Buckley, and there is nothing that can change that. Even a top 4 finish?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back