Mega Thread Port Forum 'General AFL Talk' Thread Part 6

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I suppose the key question is, are the players we've brought in better than those who have departed, and for mine (on the whole) it's a definite yes. But yeah, it's all talk at this stage - it's all down to what actually happens on game day.

Judd also wants shorter games - about 20 minutes less: presumably to lengthen careers. Thoughts?
Immediate thought...HTFU.

They already play a short season compared to other major sports world wide.

Maybe I should ask for 6hr days at work ffs.

Immediate thought...HTFU.

They already play a short season compared to other major sports world wide.

Maybe I should ask for 6hr days at work ffs.

Top pro sports are tough on athletes' bodies. All of them. Some people can endure more than others, but all pay a heavy toll for having such jobs.

The key is, regardless of game and season lengths, taking the most of the athletes while allowing them to have long carreers. No one is injury-free, but some injuries due excessive work can be avoided.

In footy, a team must aim having everyone's peak for the finals. Until then, there aren't many reasons to overpush players. Teams that went deep in the previous season could even extend pre-season, sparing players in the first rounds.

I am a fan of rotation, if one can do it while remaining competitive. The best players can have a rest against the weakest sides, for instance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am a fan of rotation, if one can do it while remaining competitive. The best players can have a rest against the weakest sides, for instance.

And that's how we can try and get two full rounds, Home and Away in...
Increase squad numbers, introduce mid week games, get rid of any pre-season matches...

Will dilute the quality but will make the draw / comp fair.
Other "fair" way is to play just one round, 17 games. If you play team X at home this year, you play team X away next. Unfortunately this robs the AFL of the "blockbuster" games that they like to milk...

American Foorball have a 12 week season.
That's more to do with marketing and the finals system.

Having said that, gridiron is far tougher on the body than footy. When I played it I couldn't move for a week afterwards sometimes. That never happened with footy or rugby to the same extent.

It is 8-12/2-6 around here. There is a 2-hour lunch break.
I worked 10-6 with an hour plus lunch break for a while, still too long haha.

Really depends on the work you are doing though. Some jobs you get all your work done for the day in a couple of hours, some your workload is the same for your whole day.

For mine I reckon if I could work without interruption for 2-4 hours in the morning, and then have any actually useful meetings after that I’d be doing 80-90% of the work of an 8-9 hour day and it would be far higher quality so would save additional work from needing to be done later.

Sadly so many managers and employers rate presenteeism as more important than quality of work. Which is IMO because they can actually understand hours present but not quality of work. Being good at sales will get you further in your career than any single other skill.

Just wondering what the early predictions are with our future crop of father son players.

Do any jump off the page as potential low draft picks?

Just wondering what the early predictions are with our future crop of father son players.

Do any jump off the page as potential low draft picks?
gr8CEa7.jpg

Brodie Smith has signed a 3 year deal at Crow Stance FC.
The crows may have stumbled onto a solution to their player retention problems.

They need simply hope for an ACL injury in the final, or penultimate, year of the player’s contract…

I worked 10-6 with an hour plus lunch break for a while, still too long haha.

Really depends on the work you are doing though. Some jobs you get all your work done for the day in a couple of hours, some your workload is the same for your whole day.

For mine I reckon if I could work without interruption for 2-4 hours in the morning, and then have any actually useful meetings after that I’d be doing 80-90% of the work of an 8-9 hour day and it would be far higher quality so would save additional work from needing to be done later.

Sadly so many managers and employers rate presenteeism as more important than quality of work. Which is IMO because they can actually understand hours present but not quality of work. Being good at sales will get you further in your career than any single other skill.

Being good at sales would do * all for my career. I can't think of a point in my career where being good at sales would have helped one iota.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back